Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

xzzy posted:

There's apparently a mod out there that helps with setting up water in the map editor but heck if I can find it now.

Saw it mentioned in a post somewhere, thought "hey I should check that out later" and then never did.

That would be handy. I'm not very good at this but it's coming along. Not gonna be particularly interesting terrain-wise, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
What are people's settings for the best screenshots? I don't really know much about Ansiotropic filtering and I roughly understand Anti-aliasing. But are there settings that are better than others (obviously I understand the "High" or "Very High" sort of thing).

Are most people using a custom LUT?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

MikeJF posted:

That would be handy. I'm not very good at this but it's coming along. Not gonna be particularly interesting terrain-wise, though.

Helps with setting up water in the map editor?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=412292157
The only thing I can think of is More Simulation Speed Options, which uncaps the simulation speed, so that instead of being limited to 3x, you can run it up to 99x.

( Of course, your computer will only simulate as fast as it can, but if you've got a decent machine that should mean quite a bit more than 3x, atleast. )

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Ad by Khad posted:

I shoot for 10-12%, but if the city is very dense or gets to be very large I can never hold onto that. My largest city at 510k population only has about 5% ridership.

510,00 citizens? :vince: I am keeping traffic down with 50,000 but I am busting my rear end. 500,00 sounds impossible.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ok I'm at the end of my rope here. I've decided to stop trying to build mega cities and just hand-craft small and medium cities to a level where I'm happy with every block and traffic flows nice. I'm only at about 40k people but I'm getting constant commercial abandonment due to lack of goods and constant industrial abandonment due to lack of raw materials. I made a custom map where I have my main city peninsula and an industrial island, the industrial island is rich in oil and ore and has 2 freight stations and a port and a direct highway connection. The ships coming in are always a jam of 5-10% full ships and I rarely get any train traffic. Following traffic through town I'm rarely getting de-spawning vehicles, and when I do it doesn't make sense. These aren't trucks caught in a jam vanishing after hours of being stuck, its vehicles just driving along happily and then suddenly they are gone. My city is not big!

Usually my cities are full of delivery trucks, that's generally been the main source of traffic in all my cities. I've gotten to nearly 300k in the past with massive cities choked with freight trains, but for some reason freight and delivery is hosed up on this city and I can't figure out why. The only traffic related mod I have is that on that lets you block certain turns, and I've only used it in a few spots. But I've got industry abandoning due to raw materials while sitting right next to a freight station and a barely used highway and blocks away from both ore and oil.

What could be causing this? And is there any mod that makes it so trucks and vans never despawn that also doesn't gently caress around with every other aspect of the game?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Google maps added the ability to play pacman on any city map today, which I'm pretty sure needs to be the next mod that hits this game.

https://maps.google.com/

Weird street layouts can break the game in amusing ways, some roads are too narrow for pacman to nagivate and wide roads can have a string of dots that are completely inaccessible. Other than that it's a neat hack that, again, needs to be a CS mod.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

simosimo posted:

And do cims cross the road at all? Don't think i've seen them do that. They really need a 2 tile WIDE pedestrian bridge, or subway tunnel. The giant ramps for a simple overpass are silly.

Uncle Jam posted:

Place crosswalks by going from tree to treeless roads.

Basically do this:

There's a 2-tile segment of 6 lane road (the shortest you can place) creating crosswalks between the university and highschool, allowing easy travel to and from them and the nearby metro station.

You can do the opposite with a tiny segment of 4 lane in the middle of a loooong stretch of 6 lane that you want a crosswalk across. As long as it's not too close to an intersection suddenly having 2 less lanes shouldn't mess with traffic.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
I think the mod I want the most is elevated pedestrian paths at really ridiculous angles turning into stairs (or stairs/elevator combos). Even ploppables would be fine.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

wit posted:

Why is he building then deleting roads as rulers and guides? There are rulers and guides.
e: ^ Just a pissy detail in an otherwise excellent tutorial.

I'm dumb as gently caress but how do you access these rulers and guides?

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Baronjutter posted:

Ok I'm at the end of my rope here. I've decided to stop trying to build mega cities and just hand-craft small and medium cities to a level where I'm happy with every block and traffic flows nice. I'm only at about 40k people but I'm getting constant commercial abandonment due to lack of goods and constant industrial abandonment due to lack of raw materials. I made a custom map where I have my main city peninsula and an industrial island, the industrial island is rich in oil and ore and has 2 freight stations and a port and a direct highway connection. The ships coming in are always a jam of 5-10% full ships and I rarely get any train traffic. Following traffic through town I'm rarely getting de-spawning vehicles, and when I do it doesn't make sense. These aren't trucks caught in a jam vanishing after hours of being stuck, its vehicles just driving along happily and then suddenly they are gone. My city is not big!

Usually my cities are full of delivery trucks, that's generally been the main source of traffic in all my cities. I've gotten to nearly 300k in the past with massive cities choked with freight trains, but for some reason freight and delivery is hosed up on this city and I can't figure out why. The only traffic related mod I have is that on that lets you block certain turns, and I've only used it in a few spots. But I've got industry abandoning due to raw materials while sitting right next to a freight station and a barely used highway and blocks away from both ore and oil.

What could be causing this? And is there any mod that makes it so trucks and vans never despawn that also doesn't gently caress around with every other aspect of the game?

I have a similar issue that just happened to my city. I was just starting to feel pretty good and to consider my city done around 40-50k. Then all of a sudden, not enough goods to sell and not enough resources to produce for industry. Sort of in a pickle. Switch everything to offices?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Enigma89 posted:

I have a similar issue that just happened to my city. I was just starting to feel pretty good and to consider my city done around 40-50k. Then all of a sudden, not enough goods to sell and not enough resources to produce for industry. Sort of in a pickle. Switch everything to offices?

Shops still need goods though. I don't get how it's possible they are short on goods. I always make a dedicated freight station for my main commercial area. I don't know if it's mods or the latest patch but my roads have very few vans now. My cities used to be just choked with hot dog trucks and the like, now they are rare. Every single time I've seen a commercial building complain about lack of goods it always abandons, it never ever gets the goods it needs. Yet other buildings next door can go years without problems and get deliveries fine. It's as if the "call" for more goods isn't going out, no van is dispatched at all. No one's getting stuck in traffic, they just never exist to begin with.

Yet the same problem with industry. Factories next to a train station abandon due to lack of raw materials while other near by factories get trucks direct from the train station or local producers. It really is as if some buildings simply get "black listed" and no longer can call out for local or foreign goods.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

TheFluff posted:

I'm dumb as gently caress but how do you access these rulers and guides?

I mean the ones we all use. When you place either roads or rail, ruler lines appear and when you make curved shapes you get a primitive protractor. Just count the notches and when the next notch appears ahead of the line you're drawing, that's exactly half a notch. Its not Adobe Illustrator quality, but its enough to do angular, perpendicular and parallel lines, arc and circles of given lengths. I get drawing out large guide roads if you're creating some huge complicated shape, but you don't need to lay down the road for every measurement. Maybe its just easier to show the working out in tutorials to other people in a how to video by actually placing every line you measure.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
I hosed with my taxes for the achievements on my 80K population city. For the first few months I was raking in $75K+ per week, then everybody left and the population dropped to 40K before stabilizing back up at around 50K. I was close to breaking even at that point at about -$2K per week. Probably would have been profitable again if I had demolished all the abandoned buildings.

Then everything recovered when I flipped taxation for the other achievement. If you want natural disasters, taxes are a good way to go.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Cims will totally jaywalk by the way, though they tend to prefer not to do it across wide, busy roads, and I think they can only do it at road segment joints. But yes, a pedestrian bridge that doesn't mean losing 5+ tiles of road frontage on either side/a giant detour would be great. I've had issues at a couple of my subway stations where cims would vastly prefer to jaywalk/wait at the crosswalk forever, because the pedestrian bridge was too much of a detour. I did eventually get them to mostly use the bridge but it was very annoying and fiddly and involved moving the drat subway station and losing half a block of zoning.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
We need a pedestrian bridge that uses elevators instead of ramps. That'd solve both the waste of space in creating ramps and also ease up on putting ramps in places where they'd be considered "faster" for pedestrian pathfinding.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

McGlockenshire posted:

We need a pedestrian bridge that uses elevators instead of ramps. That'd solve both the waste of space in creating ramps and also ease up on putting ramps in places where they'd be considered "faster" for pedestrian pathfinding.

Or just stacked stairs/compact ramps.

In fact, I think that elevated walkways should end with that by default rather than requiring a big sweeping ramp.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
No we need Futurama pneumatic tubes.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Nondescript Van posted:

No we need Futurama pneumatic tubes.

:swoon: best idea i've heard all day

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A lot of cities have ped underpasses in major urban intersections. Pedestrians only need like 7' clearance while roads need much higher, so people only need to walk down like 10 stairs rather than walk up 20-30.

We need a crosswalk tool and an underpass tool that plop down a compact realistic looking tunnel that integrates into the sidewalk with a little staircase entrance. No loving around with drawing or wasting land.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

My first 100k city.

No traffic issues whatsoever.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Watching your city's traffic crawl to a halt not because of industry but instead due to a giant wave of people moving in is pretty hilarious.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Alkydere posted:

Watching your city's traffic crawl to a halt not because of industry but instead due to a giant wave of people moving in is pretty hilarious.

Yeah, I actually have nearly double the infrastructure coming in to my city than I do going the other way due to the constant flow of people moving in. It's sort of a way to stress-test your system.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
A friend of me asked me to give my thought process when I was making my city. We make very different looking cities so it is nice to compare. This game is like a canvas, you give it to someone and you will always get something different back.

Anyways, I took screenshots with descriptions, maybe you guys will enjoy reading about it. I am not very good at this game though so any tips would be appreciated. I don't play with the all tech/money mod because I like trying to fix problems instead of just designing the perfect city.

My city is pretty puny compared to some others in here but I had a very specific goal this game, I did not want my city to die to traffic. I am thinking that I need to cut down on the wasted space from pedestrian walkways/railroads and start fleshing the city out. I had 20k-30k people in 2 tiles now I have 5 tiles and only 45k population. I have lost a bit of steam and got lazy with my money by buying up land.

You will have to maximize the image in order to read the font. Sorry Mobile Users

:shobon:

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 31, 2015

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
I'm trying to get terrain.party to cough up a height map and am getting nothing in the zip but a text file that says

terrain.party posted:

No height map data was available. That's a bummer.

If you're way at the poles, that's probably why. Orbital measurements only go
so far away from the equator.

If this area is filled with water, try a box that has less water. That's
probably a good idea for gameplay reasons anyway.

Otherwise, this could be a problem with terrain.party. Retrying the link above
at a later time might help, or try posting it in the Discuss link for help.

At any rate: there's no height maps here. Sorry!

I see by following the discuss link (which leads to reddit, ugh) that I am not alone.

Can other map makers give me some more in depth insight into how the height map works exactly? The wiki says height maps are 1081x1081 px, but that sounds really small, assuming one pixel corresponds to one grid square, i.e. 8x8 meters? Or does a single pixel on the height map represent an area larger than one grid square in-game?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Melbourne is set up similarly. The loop in the centre of the city under the CBD is subway, whilst the branches are above-ground. (God I wish the state government hadn't sold off the Outer Loop in the 60s)

Of course, that's just trains. We also have the world's biggest tram network (250 km of tracks, 1,763 stops).

Phone posting, I'm on our tram car here in Dallas now, it's an old refurbished model we bought second hand from Melbourne.

Coincidentally there's an Asian family from Melbourne on board with me. Small flipping' world.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Trying to design industrial zones on teensy tiny little islands is surprisingly difficult.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How do ports work? Every time I build a port I get a jam of 5-10% full boats that block each other and end up de-spawning without loading/unloading their cargo. Am I setting up the ships-paths in the map editor wrong or something?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

How do ports work? Every time I build a port I get a jam of 5-10% full boats that block each other and end up de-spawning without loading/unloading their cargo. Am I setting up the ships-paths in the map editor wrong or something?

In my experience freight ships only seem to produce about 5 trucks worth of shipments. Since my cities have accessible train depots I never see any freight being carried to the harbor.

Maybe if they received more traffic they'd bring in more stuff, I haven't really dug into it because as long as industry is happy I ignore 'em.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really don't know how you people make those bigass highway interchanges and double klein bottle roundabouts in the middle of your cities, I can never do it and have it look any semblance of good so I just don't bother. Is it all prefabs? Are you cheating the highway creation system?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
It's easier to make a complicated interchange in the asset editor where you have a grid and then just plop it later.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

yeah i tried that and then all i got was "slope too steep" all over my city, even in the flattest zones. f u

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I really don't know how you people make those bigass highway interchanges and double klein bottle roundabouts in the middle of your cities, I can never do it and have it look any semblance of good so I just don't bother. Is it all prefabs? Are you cheating the highway creation system?

A bulldozer mixed with a giant stack of large denomination Cimoleans, some lighter fluid and a match.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

xzzy posted:

In my experience freight ships only seem to produce about 5 trucks worth of shipments. Since my cities have accessible train depots I never see any freight being carried to the harbor.

Maybe if they received more traffic they'd bring in more stuff, I haven't really dug into it because as long as industry is happy I ignore 'em.

All these ships are like 60%+ load. These ships mostly move my own goods around for me between like 6 ports. I also have a rail cargo railnetwork that gets heavy use. This is in a city of ~240k although at the time of the screenshot I think it was more around 170. They generate a shitload of traffic around the ports and I'd probably be pretty screwed if that was all going by highway. I kind of suspect you guys just don't have enough industry to require that much cargo transport. Especially if you're also having commercial good shortages. I've noticed people tend to over-zone commercial.

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 1, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ok I'm still getting tons of abandonment from not enough raw materials and commercial abandoning because of not enough goods. I installed the mod that makes it so cars and trucks can't de-spawn (and my traffic is still fine) but nothing seems to help.

Here is my city.

I've gone hog wild making sure my city is "self sufficient". I export large amounts of every resource so I SHOULD have enough resources for local use right?? (my imports are about 400)

A common sight, resource trucks of all types pass by an industry begging for resources.

Highway, Railway, Port, all are barely used yet shops and factories abandon due to lack of materials.

This was going to be a vast industrial island supplying my city's needs, but most of it ended up being de-zoned due to freight abandonment.

After really going nuts with industry and resources I'm getting less freight abandonment, but it's still happening. Also I've never once seen an industry with the raw-material shortage icon ever come out of it. Once that icon pops up the building is doomed. Neighbouring industries will receive goods, the import map will show me the industry wants agriculture or wood or what ever, yet truck after truck of that type drive by, most exporting goods out of the city. Something is wrong, something is preventing the game from dispatching resources to buildings that need them.

My mods are:
-Lane Changer (only modified one intersection)
-Persistent Resource View (should only be UI stuff)
-PopBalanceMod (Changes households/workers but shouldn't mess with resources)
-BigTransport (higher transit vehicle capacities)
-Infinite Oil and Ore (special resource buildings are fine, it's just vanilla industry and commercial suffering)
-Control Buildings Level Up (lets you set district and individual level up caps)

If anyone can help I'd really appreciate any insight.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 1, 2015

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

speaking of specialized industry, is there a way to tell what resources a given area will have? i figured out that ore is in dark grayish areas and that light yellow-green patches of land are suitable for farms, but what about oil and forestry?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Starhawk64 posted:

speaking of specialized industry, is there a way to tell what resources a given area will have? i figured out that ore is in dark grayish areas and that light yellow-green patches of land are suitable for farms, but what about oil and forestry?

You can build forestry anywhere but I think it benefits from being near dense concentrations of trees. Oil's another ground overlay but it's hard to see. One of the data overviews displays natural resources- it's toward the bottom, the one that looks like a bunch of crystals.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oil is more hard edged yellow patches on the ground.

You can also make forestry areas by planting your own trees. I've got no idea if building industry over every single tree will wipe out the bonus or if it stays in effect tho.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Baronjutter, off the top of my head, try adding more generic industry. I may be wrong, but I don't think specialized industry can supply commercial goods. That should at least help/solve the commercial problem.

Plus everyone in your city is high.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Oh, turns out there's an overlay for that. I've just been making guesses based on how the ground looks. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Starhawk64 posted:

I'm assuming you mean telling without using the resource identifier?

Yellowish soil is fertile farmland, forested areas are good for logging, greyish soil is ore deposits, and oil tends to make soil brown.

For reference, you can zone any specific industry anywhere. Oil and Ore will just haul in resources from out of town instead of mining it up. Meanwhile you can set up logging and farming anywhere, but if you place them on fertile areas you'll get a far higher percentage of production buildings (farms, pig sties and lots where trees are being grown) that will actually produce resources for the rest of your industry.

Oh, and planting trees from the parks and rec tab DOES actually make an area more fertile for forestry. It's an absolutely tiny effect though, but it will make the area around them just a tiny bit green on the resource view.