Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I can't believe I have to wait another five months to make new maps while running screaming in terror from FOEs again. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Cernunnos posted:

That's great then. Such beautiful cartographic advances :swoon:
A phrase you will only ever see in the Etrian Odyssey thread. :allears:

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
After the status effect hell that was the 2nd Stratum, the 3rd Stratum is honestly kind of refreshing. It's nice to have enemies only trying to kill me for a change.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

So after playing the Millenium Girl demo and seeing IV on sale for $15, I gave in and bought IV. :stare: Holy poo poo where has this game been all my life? It's exactly what I'm looking for, the game's already kicking my rear end and it hurts so good (also in a noted difference from the 80s CRPGs it seems based on, most of the difficulty isn't random gently caress-you luck and seems fair). So far to grind money I've been running around in the overworld to grab as much food as possible without getting owned by a FOE, and right now I'm gearing up to take on the bloody bear. My party is the standard one recommended by most sites, fortress, medic, runecaster, landsknecht, and nightseeker.

Are there any decent guides or walkthroughs out there for if I ever get hopelessly stuck, or is the only one that lovely Gamefaqs one that explains like 3 missions in a paragraph?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The lovely GameFAQs one is the only one, yes. If you ever need any real details about anything, check the EO4 boards or the map pngs.

Cernunnos posted:

Feel free to ask questions in here. Most of us know EO4 inside out (or at least pretty drat well).

Yes, and this. I should have said this too.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 30, 2015

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Feel free to ask questions in here. Most of us know EO4 inside out (or at least pretty drat well).

You shouldn't get too stuck though. EO4 is tough but fair. At least you can't paint yourself into a corner with class/skill choices in it. Even EOU is good about that in comparison to the DS trilogy (or at least the first 2).

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Wait, is there a sale again? Don't tell me I missed another one. :sigh:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Cernunnos posted:

You shouldn't get too stuck though. EO4 is tough but fair. At least you can't paint yourself into a corner with class/skill choices in it. Even EOU is good about that in comparison to the DS trilogy (or at least the first 2).

At least it's easy to grind in EO2. EO1 doesn't really have an "easy" method and that 10 level penalty is crushing in the middle of a playthrough.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
If you have any questions, just ask us. We know the game way too damned well.

...way too well. :smithicide:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I can't believe I have to wait another five months to make new maps while running screaming in terror from FOEs again. :(

I'm not even a week out of finishing up 3 and the last bit of Untold and I'm already contemplating whether or not I'd like to try EOU classic mode with some combination of the six non story mode classes. Or possibly EO4 with the four classes I didn't use and a wildcard.

Fortunately I have a few other things to do so so far these are just ideas, not plans.

Five months is a long time though...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If you go with Survivalist, I recommend Pinion Spear, Wind Breath, and Phoenix Wings for a Grimoire.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Nakar posted:

Wait, is there a sale again? Don't tell me I missed another one. :sigh:

I think EO4 is still on sale. If you're looking to get that, go for it. Not sure about EOU. At any rate, the games go on sale very often, so don't worry if you miss one.

Cuckoo posted:

So after playing the Millenium Girl demo and seeing IV on sale for $15, I gave in and bought IV. :stare: Holy poo poo where has this game been all my life? It's exactly what I'm looking for, the game's already kicking my rear end and it hurts so good (also in a noted difference from the 80s CRPGs it seems based on, most of the difficulty isn't random gently caress-you luck and seems fair). So far to grind money I've been running around in the overworld to grab as much food as possible without getting owned by a FOE, and right now I'm gearing up to take on the bloody bear. My party is the standard one recommended by most sites, fortress, medic, runecaster, landsknecht, and nightseeker.

Are there any decent guides or walkthroughs out there for if I ever get hopelessly stuck, or is the only one that lovely Gamefaqs one that explains like 3 missions in a paragraph?

With the way the game is structured, looking at the maps themselves on GameFAQs will tell you a lot more than reading a walkthrough. That said, if you want to know more about the games, you have to read the boards. Those contain a ton more info than the actual FAQs.

Anyways, here's a VERY handy resource to use for this game. The EO4 skill sim! It's missing a ton of info and is kind of inaccurate, but this lets you know the returns you're getting on the skills for the most part.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

If you're fluent in google translate gobbledygook the sekaiju @wikis are probably the most informed resource for the games.

I'm not sure about Into the Labyrinth's forums but you could also check there.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

Cuckoo posted:

Welcome to Etrian Odyssey!
:getin:
:atlus:

The lovely gamefaqs one should be fine for most purposes in the sense that it tells you the locations of things for sidequests and whatnot...if not feel free to ask here

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

theshim posted:

oh god why

beat kibagami at level 27 :suicide:

Jesus. I was like level 36 before the bushis could beat him!

Good luck with Eo4, new guy! it's the best/easiest one. depending who you ask! It all gets harder and more hateful from here on...

The Duchess Smackarse fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 30, 2015

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

How do I get Wiglaf and Kirjonen to spawn? I still need some of their items. Do I need to kick some Dragon tail beforehand? It'll be a nice break from the 6th stratum FOEs kicking my tail instead.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

How do I get Wiglaf and Kirjonen to spawn? I still need some of their items. Do I need to kick some Dragon tail beforehand? It'll be a nice break from the 6th stratum FOEs kicking my tail instead.

If you've initiated the dragon quests I think their airships are stuck in front of the respective dragons until you deal with them. You could probably also just abandon the quests.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Nope haven't started them yet, so I guess I'll just travel around the lands for a millennia until they appear. Or I'll just do the quests and they'll appear after.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

If it's like the Dragons and Pookas, they'll respawn after a certain number of steps.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
If they're spawned in any of the lands they stay there until they despawn automatically after 3 days or you complete whatever mission they have (bring them food or help them fight something).

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:
So after putting it down EOU for a bit ive picked it back up to start finishing up the first dungeon, and man gently caress that random encounter with two mantises and two rabbits. :argh: They always seem to destroy my party, im probably gonna have to rest and reallocate some skills and grind back up in order to finish this stratum.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

That was surprisingly painless. Well, apart from the dead Ronin, but ya can't win 'em all, I guess.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Boiling Lizard down, party level 34 :stare:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

theshim posted:

Things seem to be going surprisingly well for you now that the early game is over.

I think this just affirms the position that EO4 should be the go-to "introduce new players to the series" game for forever. Unless EO5 can maintain the same balance.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

theshim posted:

How the hell are you and Dr. Fetus able to continue a single class run and actually finishing it?

I actually want to give up on my dancer only run. It sucks that not only I have to carry items but also extra weapons with different forged slots because you need status or binds to survive against bosses and elemental damage to make some encounters less painful like the loving scorpions.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

Things seem to be going surprisingly well for you now that the early game is over.

I think this just affirms the position that EO4 should be the go-to "introduce new players to the series" game for forever. Unless EO5 can maintain the same balance.
To be fair, the fight took forever and a day, Kibagami did nearly all of the damage, and I had to use a bunch of my Amritas and stuff. Getting to level 40 should help with the TP issues, though.

EO4 is definitely the friendliest :atlus: in the series, no questions asked.

e:

Txn posted:

How the hell are you and Dr. Fetus able to continue a single class run and actually finishing it?

I actually want to give up on my dancer only run. It sucks that not only I have to carry items but also extra weapons with different forged slots because you need status or binds to survive against bosses and elemental damage to make some encounters less painful like the loving scorpions.
in fairness this is my fourth scc

Oddly, 5 Dancers is actually one I'd count among the most annoying to do. Your damage isn't great, your defenses are pretty bad, your utility and options are fairly low compared to a lot of other classes, and you require constant shuffling to get anything done. If you really must do a SCC, 5 Landsharks is probably the friendliest (and 5 Fortresses is almost certainly the easiest :v:).

theshim fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 31, 2015

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Which one of you actually put down the :10bux::10bux::10bux: to make this an actual emote?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Someone in the EO2 thread I think.

theshim
May 1, 2012

I'm pretty sure I know who it was, but the point is that :atlus: :atlus: :atlus:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

You can thank W.T. Fits for that.

I'm glad I went with an offensive class for my SCC run because turtling out fights is really really boring. Battles usually end quickly because either my team gets wiped out in a few turns, or the enemy does. I don't completely skimp out on defense in my normal runs, but I prioritize offense over defense. It's why I prefer Arbalists over Gladiators, even though Gladiator is the safer option.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You should try 5 Runemasters :unsmigghh:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Unrelatedly the Etrian Mystery Dungeon 3DS theme is available now (in NA at least).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w11ZoqvHzJc

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Note the cartridge in that video.

Atlus, you fuckers

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There aren't any other EO themes available in NA are there?

theshim
May 1, 2012

Baboon King down at 37. Dudes are 39. Three more levels, then I rest and can actually play the rest of the game.

Also, my #1 damage dealer is whoever is using the mace you get that anyone can equip and has Skull Smash. This is stupid.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm a hair's breadth away from quitting my 3 Bushi. Golden Lair enemies just insta wipe me! I'm level 38!

I suppose I should push to 40 and see what happens...

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

theshim posted:

Baboon King down at 37. Dudes are 39. Three more levels, then I rest and can actually play the rest of the game.

Also, my #1 damage dealer is whoever is using the mace you get that anyone can equip and has Skull Smash. This is stupid.

That mace is my favourite thing. I gave it to Wufan my last run :v:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Etrian odyssey mystery dungeon comes out in a week and I'm super excited for it. I feel as though it's been years since I played a non-mediocre one.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

theshim posted:

You should try 5 Runemasters :unsmigghh:

That's actually what I'm doing right now! I just started the second Labyrinth and so far I've had 2 party wipes. One was me just testing the waters agains the Nomad Baboon FOE, but the other was a legit wipe in the second labyrinth to a Bull + Petaloid combo, which brutally destroyed me in 2 turns. So far it's been super easy actually. I've just been nuking the hell out of everything, and I defeated the 1st Labyrinth boss at level 13. Currently I'm running 2 fire, 2 ice and 1 lightning specced Runemaster. Only 1 lightning since their first damaging skill is a melee attack. I'm running 3 in front, 2 in back to spread out the damage a bit. Skill points went to the class skill, the gathering skill, 1 in TP up (probably unnecessary), and then 1 point in the elemental rune as prerequisite and maxed out the damaging skill. After that I've gone to level 3 on the fire/ice runes for one of each of those Runemasters, and level 3 on Runic Gleam for the rest. Now I'm putting a bit more into TP Up. My plan is to rest after getting subclassing, and I'll probably run one Medic, one Arcanist and the rest Bushi, but I haven't decided for sure yet. I feel like taking on the hollows is going to suck, but luckily I'll have Wufan for the 3rd floor and for the Queen.

I don't know if the power is going to drop off, and every once in a while their squishiness comes up, but so far this party feels very strong, I don't think I took on the first boss until level 15 my first play through, with a more balanced party.

EDIT: Also, I think the second Labyrinth is my favorite of this whole game, except maybe the postgame. Great music, pretty looking, and somehow Petaloids just have a place in my heart. It's probably Stockholm's Syndrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

I beat 5 Runemasters.

It, uh, doesn't really get harder.

EO4 apparently really didn't expect the player to turn every fight into a damage race. It turns out that the game loses.

• Locked thread