Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Glad to see this full-throated defense of gay marriage from Bush: "This is really an important value in our country, where you can respect and be tolerant of people’s lifestyles but allow for people of faith to exercise theirs," and Ben Carson: “absolutely vital that we do all we can to allow Americans to practice their religious ways.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

quote:

As a reason why such laws are necessary, Bush pointed to the case of a Washington state florist who was fined for refusing to provide flowers for a same-sex wedding.

Oh, so it is all about allowing businesses to discriminate against gay folks, then. Thanks for clearing that up, Jeb!

Meepo
Jul 30, 2004

DaveWoo posted:

Oh, so it is all about allowing businesses to discriminate against gay folks, then. Thanks for clearing that up, Jeb!

Indiana Governor Insists New Law Has Nothing To Do With Thing It Explicitly Intended To Do

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
The Indiana bill questions are a total choice of damnation for Republicans because you have to at least tacitly support it to appeal to the large part of your base that are bigots, but at the same time, you don't want to say anything memorable enough that someone could bring it up in the general.

So either a nod to "states' rights" or well "let's see how this goes down, the media is whipping up this story, but Indiana law makers say that the law's intent is not to discriminate, blah, blah, blah..."

There isn't much political gain here. If you come out hard in favor, you're shooting yourself in the foot down the road. You might as well give some forgettable dodge.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I've said it before: these sorts of bills are supposed to pass committee, maybe a house of a legislature, and then quietly die. This gets you all the Conservative Cred without actually risking anything.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Elvira tweeted this

One of them was, interestingly enough, a pretty cool guy. Ran for a highly prominent position against incredible odds for a freedom-loving, conscientious political party, and was quoted as saying winning it would be like climbing Everest single-handedly, without gear.

It was the guy on the right. Al Lewis, best known as Grandpa Munster, ran for governor of New York as the Green party candidate back in 1998.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I still haven't seen a reasonable argument that selling flowers to gay people violates the seller's freedom of worship. If I hired a Christian roofer, are his rights somehow being violated by my Atheism? Like the atheism is permeating through the house and blocking his prayer ducts?

There is no logical connection between any of the commercial activities I've seen used as examples, and the free exercise of religion.

Grand Theft Autobot fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Mar 31, 2015

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

I'm not picky. Maybe Health & Human Services. I'd also be down for Drug Czar.

No, no 'Secretary of Keeping it Real'. I saw a documentary about that once, it looded like an good job. Just remember you do have to provide your own shovel if you want to look for Lincoln's Gold.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Yooge, if true.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So why are we, according to Rubio, against discrimination in hotels and restaurants but perfectly fine with it everywhere else? Is there a passage in the bible that I'm forgetting that commands that those two businesses alone provide service to all no matter their sin? The lord commands that Waffle House serve anyone who sits down, but he didst also tell Moses that the Florist is a sacred job that must comply with all his commandments.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

SnakePlissken posted:

One of them was, interestingly enough, a pretty cool guy. Ran for a highly prominent position against incredible odds for a freedom-loving, conscientious political party, and was quoted as saying winning it would be like climbing Everest single-handedly, without gear.

It was the guy on the right. Al Lewis, best known as Grandpa Munster, ran for governor of New York as the Green party candidate back in 1998.

Lol

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I don't get the GOP. The country as a whole is moving very much in the direction of acceptance and tolerance of gay people, and appears to be doing so pretty rapidly, and the GOP is going to make these Indiana type laws their hill to die on?

:wtc:

Is it a last gasp of resistance to cultural change? Are they trying to prove a point? What?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Zwabu posted:

I don't get the GOP. The country as a whole is moving very much in the direction of acceptance and tolerance of gay people, and appears to be doing so pretty rapidly, and the GOP is going to make these Indiana type laws their hill to die on?

Is it a last gasp of resistance to cultural change? Are they trying to prove a point? What?

the ultra-right elements that are becoming increasingly irrelevent or detrimental in the general elections are still influential in primaries, where turnout is very low except among those most fanatical elements.

You can bet whoever wins the nomination will back away from this poo poo so fast that they redshift

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 31, 2015

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Gyges posted:

So why are we, according to Rubio, against discrimination in hotels and restaurants but perfectly fine with it everywhere else? Is there a passage in the bible that I'm forgetting that commands that those two businesses alone provide service to all no matter their sin? The lord commands that Waffle House serve anyone who sits down, but he didst also tell Moses that the Florist is a sacred job that must comply with all his commandments.
You would think that hotels would be at the top of the list of places that would want to be allowed to refuse service. Because hotels are where they can... you know... do butt stuff.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think they are banking on mobilizing their hardcore base and assuming that most people that vote Republican but aren't really against gay rights will still vote for them since they care a lot more about taxes once the buzz dies down.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 31, 2015

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Zwabu posted:

They would lose 50%+ of their political funding from local levels upto primary levels overnight.
Thar's gold in them thar religious nuts.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Zwabu posted:

There's a big difference between state level GOP and national GOP. National GOP is quite a bit further down the road on all of the social issues due to their unholy alliance with the US Chamber of Commerce. It's a lot easier to have plausible deniability for lack of action on the national level. They can go back to their R+18 districts and tell them, "Oh I wanted to do something about those gays, but that wily Boehner wouldn't let me! Those evil Dems wouldn't let me!"

There's a lot more polarization at the state level. They don't have to do deal with opposition the same way politicians on the national level do. The GOP holds very significant super majorities in both houses of the Indiana General Assembly. They can pass stuff without Democrats. They can pass stuff without any moderate Republicans. So the far right Republicans have fewer good excuses for lack of action on far right wing issues when campaigning for re-election.

I can understand why the Indiana General Assembly thought this was a good idea because it's probably helpful for most of them in their individual election fights. Indiana is R+5 as a whole, and that margin probably doubles or triples when you exclude Gary and Indianapolis. Outside of those two places, the entire state leans red to some degree.

I understand Pence's strategy to spearhead the movement for it less understandable, but he appears to be a bit of a culture warrior who is willing to stab his more moderate and more apathetic wealthy donors in the back over it.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 31, 2015

Skeevy Mcgee
Feb 17, 2007

Radish posted:

I think they are banking on mobilizing their hardcore base and assuming that most people that vote Republican but aren't really against gay rights will still vote for them since they care a lot more about taxes once the buzz dies down.

Yeah, that's my take on it, too. All of the centrist, Independent, "socially liberal but fiscally conservative" types still willing to consider voting Republican are most likely to err on the side of FYGM. "We can worry about gay rights after we've lowered taxes and fixed the deficit! My gay brother in San Francisco won't be any better off when the Chinese call in their debts and repo the west coast!"

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

ErIog posted:

I understand Pence's strategy to spearhead the movement for it less understandable, but he appears to be a bit of a culture warrior who is willing to stab his more moderate and more apathetic wealthy donors in the back over it.

It's not like these donors have anywhere else to go. They are as stuck as the more leftist democrat voters. They will back him as long as they have their interests satisfied.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Elizabeth Warren, putting an end to months of speculation: "No, I am not running and I am not going to run."

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Skeevy Mcgee posted:

Yeah, that's my take on it, too. All of the centrist, Independent, "socially liberal but fiscally conservative" types still willing to consider voting Republican are most likely to err on the side of FYGM. "We can worry about gay rights after we've lowered taxes and fixed the deficit! My gay brother in San Francisco won't be any better off when the Chinese call in their debts and repo the west coast!"

My greatest fear is that the Republican Party as a whole begins to court these kinds of indecisive folks and abandon their whole gay bashing/bible thumping demographic (who will vote for them anyways)

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Elizabeth Warren, putting an end to months of speculation: "No, I am not running and I am not going to run."

I really wonder if she'll run

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Rexicon1 posted:

My greatest fear is that the Republican Party as a whole begins to court these kinds of indecisive folks and abandon their whole gay bashing/bible thumping demographic (who will vote for them anyways)

Honestly I think the "socially liberal" Republicans are more likely to ignore civil rights injustices as long as they get tax breaks and vote GOP than the hard core extremists are if gays, women, black people, and other minorities aren't harassed. The Tea Party is never going to vote Democratic but I could totally see them staying home if their social issues aren't addressed in favor of giving some tax breaks.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Gyges posted:

Because Joseph and Mary weren't turned away from a flower shop.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I really wonder if she'll run
I wish she would. I don't even like her that much, but any alternative to a loving Clinton would be nice.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Rexicon1 posted:

I wish she would. I don't even like her that much, but any alternative to a loving Clinton would be nice.

I hope she never does. I don't know if you have seen Warren campaign/schmooze/speechify, but she's only average in all of the aspects that would be amplified in a national fishbowl.

Obviously she's great in the sense that she believes lots of correct things and generally has the right motivations, and there are certain contexts where she would do well (like a town hall, maybe), but she wouldn't be a great presidential candidate overall and I think she probably knows it. Staying put as a liberal lion in the Senate will have a long-term impact that dwarfs anything she could achieve by being a stalking horse for better contenders in a primary.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

mdemone posted:

I hope she never does. I don't know if you have seen Warren campaign/schmooze/speechify, but she's only average in all of the aspects that would be amplified in a national fishbowl.

Obviously she's great in the sense that she believes lots of correct things and generally has the right motivations, and there are certain contexts where she would do well (like a town hall, maybe), but she wouldn't be a great presidential candidate overall and I think she probably knows it. Staying put as a liberal lion in the Senate will have a long-term impact that dwarfs anything she could achieve by being a stalking horse for better contenders in a primary.

I just want to feel like I can vote for someone in a primary that will give Hillary a fire under her rear end to at least pay lip service to the leftists like me.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Rexicon1 posted:

I just want to feel like I can vote for someone in a primary that will give Hillary a fire under her rear end to at least pay lip service to the leftists like me.

I mean, you could go Bernie if he actually runs, but his percentages aren't going to move Hillary's needle at all. I feel your pain but I don't think there is anything that can alleviate it.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rexicon1 posted:

O'Malley seems to heading in that direction, for what it's worth.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
Brian Schweitzer :getin:

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
270 Strategies, the consultant group that formed from the Obama 2012 field operation, is putting out job postings for a mysterious 2016 race. There are a few variations floating around but this one was on a public jobs list:

quote:

270 Strategies is seeking to gauge interest from candidates with organizing experience who would be interested in potential opportunities for the upcoming campaign cycle. Individuals should have a minimum of 2 campaign cycles of experience, have access to a car, and be flexible about location.

Candidates may be sought for the following positions:

Regional Leads
Regional Leads (“Regionals”) would be responsible for the overall management of grassroots activities in multiple states. Regionals would be responsible for communicating with, training and supporting State Organizers and would oversee the day-to-day activities of the program within their regions. This would include assisting organizers with political and constituency outreach for statewide volunteer trainings, identifying and cultivating volunteer leaders and developing state specific materials among other activities.

State Organizers
State Organizers (“Organizers”) would be responsible for recruiting volunteers across the state, identifying, cultivating volunteer leaders, planning and executing a series of statewide trainings and organizing statewide days of action.

It's almost definitely a presidential race (who else is staffing field in April of 2015 for a 2016 race?), and it's definitely not Hillary (even though they won the contract for Ready for Hillary). Could be O'Malley, but I wouldn't be surprised if we started to see Biden gear up for a potential run. 270 is exactly the place he would go.

Concerned Citizen fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 31, 2015

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

DaveWoo posted:

O'Malley seems to heading in that direction, for what it's worth.

Yeah, I'm likely to be voting O'Malley myself for what little it does to do pretty much the same thing, since he's the only mainstream candidate that's campaigning on an outwardly progressive platform. If it's all marketing nowadays, might as well vote with my... oh.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

mdemone posted:

This. And she's not term-limited in the Senate, and has that seat til she dies or retires. She's much more useful to the causes she espouses right where she is.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Breaking: Did Sen. Warren already start her campaign??

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Zwabu posted:

The rubes will go back to being apolitical if they're not catered to.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I really want to see some Saudi owned car dealership refuse to sell to women because of his religious beliefs that disallow women drivers, just so we can watch cirque du soleil levels of mental gymnastics from Indiana Republicans

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

the first time I found myself in Lynchburg (don't even remember why I was ever there), I stood agape staring at that thing, wondering what city planner/land manager/whoever decided it would be ok for them to build that.

I went to high school with a few different people who were intelligent, well-adjusted teenagers who weren't super religious or conservative, but ended up going to Liberty because their crazy fundamentalist parents would only pay for college if they went to Liberty. Felt real bad for them :(

Yeah, that's a common thing, I know tons of people who had to choose between either Liberty to have there parents help or the Community College so they could afford it themselves.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Chokes McGee posted:

Breaking: Did Sen. Warren already start her campaign??

She's not running because she has already won.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Elizabeth Warren confirming that the people you want in leadership are the people who don't want it.

Time for mandatory appointment to the presidency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Wheeee posted:

Time for mandatory appointment to the presidency.

edwin edwards is still alive!

• Locked thread