Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

PT6A posted:

gently caress whole foods and gently caress the "organic" industry. The only organic farmer I know and buy from (and I buy it because of flavour, not organicness) can't even afford to go through the certification bullshit, so even though it's high-quality organic produce, he can't sell it as such. It's a loving lovely industry run by a bunch of greedy cunts just like any other.

My cousin has an organic farm, of course he also has another 2000 achers under plow with corn so he knows where his bread is buttered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Gonna rebalance the hell away from the 25% Canadian equities I currently hold in my TFSA (it fell from 30% given how much everything else appreciated lol). Aiming for 15% and bumping US/int'l to 30% each so I can still have 25% bonds.

I'm hardly a market timer but Canada is only like 4% of the global economy and that ship is going down so :canada:

maxidious
Sep 25, 2007

Meh

Guest2553 posted:

Gonna rebalance the hell away from the 25% Canadian equities I currently hold in my TFSA (it fell from 30% given how much everything else appreciated lol). Aiming for 15% and bumping US/int'l to 30% each so I can still have 25% bonds.

I'm hardly a market timer but Canada is only like 4% of the global economy and that ship is going down so :canada:

Investing in the Canadian economy is a huge mistake atm no matter how crazy CI sounds most of the time. The economy just isn't diversified enough.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Not to post stupid facebook poo poo but someone I know who moved to Vancouver just posted a facebook thing about how the "haters" need to stop complaining about the cost of living in Vancouver and how she makes the medium income and gets by great and loves it there thus anyone complaining is just a "hater" or "entitled" or "doesn't understand the Vancouver lifestyle". A couple other people then replied saying that Vancouver is awesome and "haters" need to just move back to Victoria or out east where they can have affordable boring lives with nothing to do. Then another friend posted that she's about to become homeless because her rent has gone up so much and she hasn't gotten a raise in years. A few people then posted a list of all the amazing free things you can do in Vancouver which is why cost of living stats are bullshit because it never takes into account the free natural beauty unique to Vancouver. #WESTCOASTISBESTCOAST, stop hating or move but don't you dare let your imminent homelessness make you a vancouver hater.

Most of these people were reasonable understanding people before they moved to Vancouver. You know how converts to religions tend to be the most vocal and extreme? There's something like that with Victorians who move to Vancouver. They can never shut up about how amazing and exciting Vancouver is and get super mad if anyone has anything bad to say about it.

Vancouver can not fail, it can only be failed.

LMBO that someone in Vancouver would consider the East Coast boring. Ahahaha. That is loving rich. St. John's is a drug fueled rave compared to Vancouver's accounting convention. Seriously if I gave a poo poo about my social life at all I would have high tailed it back to Newfoundland long ago.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vancouver is basically lovely west coast high cost of living but without the piles actually high paying jobs of places like SF, Seattle or LA.

maxidious posted:

Investing in the Canadian economy is a huge mistake atm no matter how crazy CI sounds most of the time. The economy just isn't diversified enough.

Not to mention the whole home country bias mistake in investing, given how Canada only has 3% of all the market cap in the world.

etalian fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 31, 2015

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Guest2553 posted:

The problem is our gov is putting their nose into telecom during a downturn fueling even more losses for an entire sector. It's like Harpers cronies aren't satisfied with the energy and finance losses, he needs to push telecom/media into the toilet too. I sure love our diversified economy.

You should buy some CAN equity when you feel comfortable with the risk though.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The real question is you really believe the Canadian economy is so wonderful that it makes sense overweighting it by 25% to 30% in your portfolio.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

etalian posted:

The real question is you really believe the Canadian economy is so wonderful that it makes sense overweighting it by 25% to 30% in your portfolio.

This is ultimately what it came down to. I've only been couch potato-ing for just over a year and while I'm not gonna complain about 'only' gaining 10% while learning the ropes, I can't find any reason to be that overweighted in the Canadian economy.

e.

jm20 posted:

You should buy some CAN equity when you feel comfortable with the risk though.

I'll have some, sure, but 15% should be more than enough.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 31, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
In case any of you missed it:

http://business.financialpost.com/news/economy/bank-of-canadas-stephen-poloz-warns-oils-effect-on-economy-will-be-atrocious/

quote:

Bank of Canada chief Stephen Poloz warns oil shock’s effect on economy will be ‘atrocious’

TORONTO — The head of the Bank of Canada said a slump in oil prices is having an “atrocious” effect on the Canadian economy but a cheaper currency and incipient U.S. revival should help exports drive a recovery, the Financial Times reported on Monday.

Governor Stephen Poloz said in an interview with the newspaper that the central bank still had many options to help the economy if needed. These included pledges to keep interest rates low for a prolonged period of time — a practice known as “forward guidance” — as well as asset purchases.

Poloz defended a surprise rate cut in January, saying that falling oil prices meant it had become impossible to return the economy to capacity within a two-year horizon.

“When the oil shock came, it was clear we would no longer be able to close the output gap by 2016, but by 2017,” the governor said in the interview. “Since we had some firepower, we took some insurance and cut rates.”

Poloz struck a cautious note on the state of the Canadian economy, the article said.

“The first quarter of 2015 will look atrocious, because the oil shock is a big deal for us,” he said, adding that capital expenditure could fall by as much as 10% as a result of energy companies cutting investment.

He added that even though a lower oil price should increase domestic demand by boosting disposable income, the negative effects from the impact on the energy sector were widespread.
“In theory lower oil prices mean more money in consumers pockets, but … if an oil company cancels [an investment] project, laying off a worker, that guy will not have the money to buy a new pick-up truck. That spreads pretty quickly,” Poloz said.

The depreciation of the Canadian dollar had taken time to boost exports, he said, as thousands of exporting companies had to shut down operations in recent years because of the strength of the currency and U.S. economic weakness.

But the article said the governor remained confident that a lower exchange rate could eventually spur a recovery, as well as help the economy rebalance away from the oil sector.

“The manufacturing sector is turning around nicely. We were losing a lot of the auto parts manufacturing to Mexico. That calculus has shifted,” he added.

lol

:allears:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Serious post:

In case any of you are wondering, holy gently caress what do I do with what money I already have, please read the Canadian Finance thread in BFC.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3569987

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

jm20 posted:

The problem is our gov is putting their nose into telecom during a downturn fueling even more losses for an entire sector. It's like Harpers cronies aren't satisfied with the energy and finance losses, he needs to push telecom/media into the toilet too. I sure love our diversified economy.

I am fine with losing some cash in exchange for giving the telcos a soft poke to the crotch. I wouldn't call it a kick to the balls because the reforms are weak and Bell/Rogers aren't hurting.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Every telco in this country needs to be torn apart, vertically disintegrated and nationalized, no matter what it does to our economy in the short term.

gently caress having one part of modern media or communications get deliberately crippled or half assed because Robelus is throwing a hissy fit because nobody wants to pay through the nose for another thing they own that hasn't been relevant for the better part of a decade.

EDIT: I love fact that Bell and Rogers are slowly coming to the realization that blowing their load on the Toronto Maple Leafs and then making it a pain in the rear end to watch their lovely coverage unless you subscribe to basically everything they offer was a gigantic fuckup and now viewership is dropping. I've spoken to a lot of people and they say that it isn't just the normal leafs sucking situation, it's the fact that watching them play is now so costly and such a hassle, especially over the Internet, that they either pirate low quality streams or just don't bother.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 31, 2015

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

EvilJoven posted:

Every telco in this country needs to be torn apart, vertically disintegrated and nationalized, no matter what it does to our economy in the short term.

gently caress having one part of modern media or communications get deliberately crippled or half assed because Robelus is throwing a hissy fit because nobody wants to pay through the nose for another thing they own that hasn't been relevant for the better part of a decade.

That and we pay some of the highest prices for some of the oldest/worst telecom infrastructure in the world, all thanks to an oligopoly choking out any hint of competition.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Canada has the best broadband compared to the UK, and US. Anyone who claims differently is a lying sack of poo poo. We pay more than the brits but trust me, it's worth it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lolling at the old talking point about crashing energy prices being a good thing since it will super-charge the Canadian economy

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Pete+McMartin+growing+number+housing+squeeze+means+deferring/10933051/story.html

loving baby boomers are deferring their property taxes because they can't loving afford 5 grand

gently caress off and die you loving scum

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Does Canada have Mortgage equity withdrawal statistics?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Furnaceface posted:

That and we pay some of the highest prices for some of the oldest/worst telecom infrastructure in the world, all thanks to an oligopoly choking out any hint of competition.

You won't find a stronger critic of Canadian telecom than me, but this isn't true. Our wireless infrastructure is amazing. Europe barely has LTE deployed.

And it's not the oligopoly that chokes out competition - it's the Canadian ownership provisions of the Telecom Act.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Cultural Imperial posted:

Canada has the best broadband compared to the UK, and US. Anyone who claims differently is a lying sack of poo poo. We pay more than the brits but trust me, it's worth it.

That might be true now just because there are many areas in the US served by regional monopolies, not even duopolies who at least pretend to compete with each other. But I'm going to take a wild guess that the US is going to have more and cheaper FTTH services available more quickly that Canada will... although Saskatchewan and most of the maritimes have it good right now.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Looking for an affordable 1294 square meter piece of land to build a dream home with a view of the Pacific Ocean ?…… Move to Malibu, California. For just $129,000 (US$99,000), this view in the above pic could be yours.

Alternatively, if you’re looking to build your dream home on vacant land in desert as far away from the ocean as you can get with limited resources, look no further than Alice Springs. But here is the problem..it will cost you more.

In the new Alice Springs suburb of Kilgariff, the asking price per square meter of land on blocks ranging between 700m2 and 1100m2  is $188-$228 per m2. This is very pricy when compared to the cost per square meter of land with a view in Malibu (AU$99).

image source: Land Development Corporation NT

When the cost of land per square meter in the middle of nowhere and as far away from the ocean as you can get costs more than a square meter of land in the middle of somewhere with a view, we have to ask ourselves, ‘does this sound normal?’ 

Does it sound sane that a piece of land in Alice Springs should cost more than a piece of land in Malibu with a view of the Pacific Ocean? Is Alice Springs the new New York? Is there such a dire desperation for the residents of the Northern Territory where there are more square kilometres than the arms and legs of its residents to get their hands on a piece of land? Is there an actual shortage of land in the Northern Territory? If the answer to that question is ‘yes’ than I would say this country has lost touch with reality.

Whether we are looking at the sky high land prices of our major cities or the middle of nowhere Australia, to suggest that there is no land bubble across this whole country is concerning. And today, there are towns like Emerald and Moranbrah that were once apparently suffering from a dire housing shortage now seeing their housing markets crash. Thats what happens when a nation consistently builds over the last twenty years a new dwelling for every 1.9 new residents. Slowly but surely this great Australian credit and property bubble is bursting.

So much for a housing shortage.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The Canadian economy shrank 0.1% instead of the predicted 0.2% in January. Congratulations I guess

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cultural Imperial posted:

The Canadian economy shrank 0.1% instead of the predicted 0.2% in January. Congratulations I guess

Double home prices in celebration. up, uP, UP

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Whoa whoa whoa whoa. "Asset purchases?"

What's Poloz's twitter? I have some ideas for corporations he could nationalihahahahaha get ready for some mortgage bailouts.

Amos Moses
Oct 13, 2012

by Ralp
Fuckin Bank and Credit union advertisements everywhere encouraging house buying. Servus is all "IT'S HOUSE HUNTING SEASON!!!!" big ad campaign in effect.

Every advertisement on the windows of the local branches of TD/BMO/Servus/Synergy/ATB speaks to a mortgage.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Amos Moses posted:

Fuckin Bank and Credit union advertisements everywhere encouraging house buying. Servus is all "IT'S HOUSE HUNTING SEASON!!!!" big ad campaign in effect.

Every advertisement on the windows of the local branches of TD/BMO/Servus/Synergy/ATB speaks to a mortgage.

Servus is currently going apeshit on a series of big ad campaigns to compensate for the fact that their core customer base is old people who have either had their retirements wiped out or will die soon. They might be the weakest of the 'big' credit unions in Canada.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I sold about 3k worth of VCN this morning to downsize my Canadian equity from 25% to 15% and crystallized a whole $60 worth of gains. An impressive 2% brought to you from the powerhouse that is the Canadian economic engine.

Also confirming US telecom services blow just as hard as Rogers or Bell ever did.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Guest2553 posted:

Also confirming US telecom services blow just as hard as Rogers or Bell ever did.

North American telcos are just embarrassing. We get hosed so hard most people don't even realize it. I have a pre-paid Spanish SIM card from Orange, and 500MB of data costs 6 euros. Calls are dirt cheap, even overseas (0.05€/min to Canada) and there's no contract.

What the gently caress, Bell?

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Ma Bell never died, it just bought a bunch of fake moustaches.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Looking for an affordable 1294 square meter piece of land to build a dream home with a view of the Pacific Ocean ?…… Move to Malibu, California. For just $129,000 (US$99,000), this view in the above pic could be yours.

Alternatively, if you’re looking to build your dream home on vacant land in desert as far away from the ocean as you can get with limited resources, look no further than Alice Springs. But here is the problem..it will cost you more.

In the new Alice Springs suburb of Kilgariff, the asking price per square meter of land on blocks ranging between 700m2 and 1100m2  is $188-$228 per m2. This is very pricy when compared to the cost per square meter of land with a view in Malibu (AU$99).

Bad example in the article.

I've looked at those cheap plots of land in Malibu ..they go for $50-300k. Some of the even have paved roads and sidewalks and look ready to develop.

Thing is... You can't. It won't pass soil engineering and you won't get a building permit.

The one that is overlooking the beach and canyons that heads up to the alley / thousand oaks area was subdivision that was totaled by a 60s-70s earth quake. Everything was removed and you have roads going to these spots with no housing. The land is for sale but you can't build on it.

Problem is you get foreigners who don't perform research and find out after they purchased the land that it's useless. They try selling it to someone else who will fall into the same trap.

At this point if you can buy undeveloped land anywhere near LA, theres something wrong with it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

If it's dramatically underpriced vs surrounding properties there's probably a good reason for why the price is so low.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PT6A posted:

North American telcos are just embarrassing. We get hosed so hard most people don't even realize it. I have a pre-paid Spanish SIM card from Orange, and 500MB of data costs 6 euros.

v:downs:v

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Good god censor that kerning please

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
It's incredibly cheap to blanket these tiny euro countries with high population densities with infrastructure, the prime difference between the costs in NA vs Europe can be attributed to that over any conspiracies about telecoms. In any major US city speeds are incredibly fast and prices are cheap- it's just that we have this humongous middle of the country where it's a house every mile. It's incredibly expensive to provide services to these areas. The thing is, even in the euro countries with smaller population densities you still can't make direct comparisons because the structure of the populations are still very different. In Europe you tend to have these isolated communities with high densities- much easier to cover than the US and Canada where you have these huge areas without any real major compaction of people.

The overall point is whenever this topic comes up there's lots of people without a clue asking why SK has higher internet speeds than NA. Turns out it's really easy to have fast cheap internet when one loving city has 50% of your countries population.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

etalian posted:

If it's dramatically underpriced vs surrounding properties there's probably a good reason for why the price is so low.

Yeah my parents just backed out of their $385k Salt Spring Island home purchase because it turns out it's a death trap/money pit. I dunno why they expected otherwise at that price.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

tsa posted:

It's incredibly cheap to blanket these tiny euro countries with high population densities with infrastructure, the prime difference between the costs in NA vs Europe can be attributed to that over any conspiracies about telecoms. In any major US city speeds are incredibly fast and prices are cheap- it's just that we have this humongous middle of the country where it's a house every mile. It's incredibly expensive to provide services to these areas. The thing is, even in the euro countries with smaller population densities you still can't make direct comparisons because the structure of the populations are still very different. In Europe you tend to have these isolated communities with high densities- much easier to cover than the US and Canada where you have these huge areas without any real major compaction of people.

The overall point is whenever this topic comes up there's lots of people without a clue asking why SK has higher internet speeds than NA. Turns out it's really easy to have fast cheap internet when one loving city has 50% of your countries population.

So why can't our cities have cheap rates and people living in the country or exurbs for once in their lives pay for the cost of their lifestyle?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Baronjutter posted:

So why can't our cities have cheap rates and people living in the country or exurbs for once in their lives pay for the cost of their lifestyle?

Socialism

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

jm20 posted:

Socialism

Ironically I once made BJ's exact argument at a bar with relative strangers and was told that "our socialist society doesn't punish the less unfortunate like that." :v:

Socialism: it cuts whichever way is most convenient at the time.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Rime posted:

Ironically I once made BJ's exact argument at a bar with relative strangers and was told that "our socialist society doesn't punish the less unfortunate like that." :v:

Socialism: it cuts whichever way is most convenient at the time.

This is also true, but you know, socialism.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Socialism is bad because Rocky IV and some old Bond movies I sort of half remember from the 80's said. Cold War. You're not a lazy commie are you? Get a job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
You guys are full of poo poo. I live 10 miles from pioneer square and my Comcast loving suuuuucks