Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Vorik posted:

21 to 22" 1920x1080
Excellent picture/screen quality
Very low input lag

Does this exist? price not really an issue

Do you have a really specific tight space constraint that demands 22" vs 24"? All the nice stuff has been trending to 24"+ for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
I am looking for a bit of advice on buying a monitor 21.5-27inches. I've used retina iPads for a couple years now and I really like the screen. I tried getting a MacBook Air 11, with is 11.6 13xx768 screen, but it was awful and I ended up selling it. I kept going back to my iPad, but creating content is a chore. 322ppi is just too nice, 135ppi sucks. Then again that panel might just have been garbage.

I did not have 2,500usd for a retina iMac :(

I suppose I'm thinking about crisp text when I am writing or programming. I guess gaming or watching videos isn't going to be a huge issue. I only have a 960gtx in the new system and mid range 1080p gaming looks to be the limit of my system on paper.

According to https://www.sven.de/dpi/
21.5", 24", 27" HD 1920x1080
Display size: 18.74" × 10.54" = 197.52in² (47.6cm × 26.77cm = 1274.32cm²) at 102.46 PPI, 0.2479mm dot pitch, 10498 PPI²
Display size: 20.92" × 11.77" = 246.12in² (53.13cm × 29.89cm = 1587.9cm²) at 91.79 PPI, 0.2767mm dot pitch, 8425 PPI²
Display size: 23.53" × 13.24" = 311.5in² (59.77cm × 33.62cm = 2009.68cm²) at 81.59 PPI, 0.3113mm dot pitch, 6657 PPI²

Retina iMac
Display size: 23.53" × 13.24" = 311.5in² (59.77cm × 33.62cm = 2009.68cm²) at 217.57 PPI, 0.1167mm dot pitch, 47337 PPI

My iPad Air 2:
Display size: 6.32" × 4.74" = 29.96in² (16.05cm × 12.04cm = 193.27cm²) at 324.05 PPI, 0.0784mm dot pitch, 105009 PPI²

24 2560x1440 Dell P2415Q-$400ish
Display size: 20.92" × 11.77" = 246.12in² (53.13cm × 29.89cm = 1587.9cm²) at 122.38 PPI, 0.2075mm dot pitch, 14978 PPI²

I suppose the screen is going to be about twice as far away... Am I worried about nothing?

I'm going to go have a look at some stores and decide

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
For programming and work stuff it's really really hard to beat the 27" 4k screens from Dell and HP right now! (P2715q, Z27s).

If you really really want the highest PPI then there's a 24" version at the same resolution, but I think that's borderline unusable without DPI scaling, and I still don't like windows DPI scaling. If you're on a mac though go for it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There's supposed to be an ROG 4K IPS G-sync monitor coming out, I think it was demoed at CES. Anyone know more about the timing of that?

Also wtf Acer gimme the IPS Swift killer already.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Send me a Crescent Bay and I'll find you the monitor.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Is this monitor (Acer K242HL) a good pick for 1080p gaming?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Gwaihir posted:

For programming and work stuff it's really really hard to beat the 27" 4k screens from Dell and HP right now! (P2715q, Z27s).
It depends upon what your workflow looks like if you ask me what's optimal, but I'm planning on flanking my 34" ultra wide with 27" or maybe just 24" 4K monitors in portrait for documentation in one and output in the other. When wearing my operations hat, I'd want each monitor to be covered with a bazillion graphs of my infrastructure and I can focus on whatever fire I'm fighting in the middle. Font crispness is nice and all but just plain cramming more info onto a screen has business value in itself. Because humans are pretty good at visual pattern recognition it's probably worth fitting 4x as many graphs as you could before onto the same screen. It might turn what used to be line graphs into sparklines effectively and make a lot of people sad, but the Edward Tufte notions of information visualization is mostly oriented toward focused study of numbers in scientific data rather than more fleeting, qualitative, intuitive insights.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Question about hooking up 2 of the qnix 2710's, if they only have a dvi-d port, would I be able to connect two to a gtx970? It says it has 2 dvi ports, but only one is dvi-d. Can I use the other with an adapter that won't affect performance or overclocking, or does it work with the standard cable?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Tanbo posted:

Question about hooking up 2 of the qnix 2710's, if they only have a dvi-d port, would I be able to connect two to a gtx970? It says it has 2 dvi ports, but only one is dvi-d. Can I use the other with an adapter that won't affect performance or overclocking, or does it work with the standard cable?

The important part is both the ports need to be dual link so check the documentation for your model of card.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Yeah they are.

Video Output Function

Dual-link DVI-I x 1
Dual-link DVI-D x 1

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
On the Amazon page it says this:

quote:

GTX580 or HD6970. The GPU shoud have 2 dual linked DVI port.
- Please use DVI-D port only. may not used with DVI-I or DVI-S. Also may not be used by port converter. (D-sub, HDMI, DP)

So you probably want to skim that overlockers thread or ask there to be completely sure before you buy 2.

Also, on a side note, the off-grade one is unavailable now on Amazon :ohdear:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

5/6ms TN and 139USD MSRP is super low end, hard to say without knowing what your expectations are.
If you're fine with TN panels (the ones that gently caress with colours and text sharpness when you move your head) and just want a cheap thingy, whatever. It's new on the market, no reviews, I doubt anyone here owns one :shrug:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Mazz posted:

On the Amazon page it says this:

So you probably want to skim that overlockers thread or ask there to be completely sure before you buy 2.

Also, on a side note, the off-grade one is unavailable now on Amazon :ohdear:

The only difference between DL DVI-D and DL DVI-I ports is the later has the extra pins required for a VGA dongle to work, so I'd be impressed if they found a way to not support one but not the other :crossarms:

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Hmm. Well I already got one coming in so I'll just try it on both connections and see if it works or not before deciding. I did try reading and searching for it before asking but didn't really come across anything definitive. I tried searching again now that I know what I'm looking for (I think I was actually searching DVD-I before) and the consensus seems to be it works fine on DVI-I.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I've been looking at 1440p monitors for a while and I'm still confused. Is this one a good one to buy? I'm trying to find one sold by Amazon so I can get it by my birthday.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KKHX8CK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3JJPBW9Z68A27

suddenlyissoon fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 31, 2015

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

sauer kraut posted:

5/6ms TN and 139USD MSRP is super low end, hard to say without knowing what your expectations are.
If you're fine with TN panels (the ones that gently caress with colours and text sharpness when you move your head) and just want a cheap thingy, whatever. It's new on the market, no reviews, I doubt anyone here owns one :shrug:

The one he linked was VA. 6-8ms is normal for VA and IPS panels. That Acer is currently $170, which isn't a horrible deal for this kind of monitor, but that puts you within the territory of monitors have IPS displays (and arguably as important, ones that aren't Acer). If he is still feeling cheap, here is a ViewSonic MVA 24" monitor for $140:

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VA2455sm-SuperClear-Flicker-Free-ViewMode/dp/B00O23HKFO/

I've never tried it, so I can't vouch for anything other than the fact it's cheaper with similar specs.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 31, 2015

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

suddenlyissoon posted:

I've been looking at 1440p monitors for a while and I'm still confused. Is this one a good one to buy? I'm trying to find one sold by Amazon so I can get it by my birthday.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KKHX8CK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3JJPBW9Z68A27
It's fine so long as you know that you won't be able to overclock that one (you need the non-True10 type), despite what the description says. Unless you actually need the HDMI port, you're paying $50-$60 more than you otherwise need to.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

suddenlyissoon posted:

The BenQ GW2765HT is cheaper ($360) and comes with the benefits of being name brand. If that isn't enough, it also has an internal power supply and a much better stand.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 31, 2015

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

DrDork posted:

It's fine so long as you know that you won't be able to overclock that one (you need the non-True10 type), despite what the description says. Unless you actually need the HDMI port, you're paying $50-$60 more than you otherwise need to.

Well poo poo. I was under the assumption that it was overclockable because of the description.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That 27" acer is finally available at newegg. Is 799 the best price I'm going to get any time soon?

Nevermind they sold out again, looks like I'll keep waiting.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 31, 2015

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

I got my XB270HU this morning, holy poo poo it's glorious. I ordered last Wednesday on the Acer site but got a backordered notice that day. It shipped last night and got here today. I was apprehensive due to their lovely return policy but luckily mine has no dead/stuck pixels and the IPS glow is almost non-existent (I have to get at a real extreme angle to see any).

I'm coming from an overclocked to 96 hz Qnix, and this is still quite an upgrade. The Qnix has low input lag but the ghosting is awful compared to this Acer. Frankly, my only complaint is how the power button LED leaks into the other buttons, heh.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I am super tempted, been cruising this same Dell for like 7 years but good grief $800 is a bit much. I think I will wait until its $650 or lower.

Really jealous though, please let us know how it is in games later.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

God dammit stop buying the XB2070HU so that I can.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It went back up as backorder again on newegg so I put the order in. I'll see if it goes up on Amazon some time in the mean time.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Fartbong Bonersatan posted:

I got my XB270HU this morning, holy poo poo it's glorious. I ordered last Wednesday on the Acer site but got a backordered notice that day. It shipped last night and got here today. I was apprehensive due to their lovely return policy but luckily mine has no dead/stuck pixels and the IPS glow is almost non-existent (I have to get at a real extreme angle to see any).

I'm coming from an overclocked to 96 hz Qnix, and this is still quite an upgrade. The Qnix has low input lag but the ghosting is awful compared to this Acer. Frankly, my only complaint is how the power button LED leaks into the other buttons, heh.

What no pictures?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's bad enough I don't even know when newegg will suck 800 dollars out of my credit card, you don't have to tease me with pictures.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
what is a reasonable 4k IPS Freesync monitor?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Michael Jackson posted:

what is a reasonable 4k IPS Freesync monitor?
So far, there's only a Gsync one if you want both 4K and IPS, so you'll be stuck waiting unless you get an nVidia card. It's the ASUS PG27AQ, supposedly coming later this year.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I have a Dell 30-inch U3011 I bought a few years ago at the advice of this thread. I just switched it from DVI to DisplayPort because I needed the DVI cable for something else. I have a dual-monitor setup along with an older Samsung 24-inch. Now, with DisplayPort, I can't naturally set my Dell at 2560x1600 like I used to. I used the nVidia Control Panel to force it, but I'm wondering if this is a DisplayPort limitation or something else I'm missing?

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Wow, just got the 2710 in, mind is blown. I can't believe I suffered through that old lovely one for so long.

Works fine on DVI-I btw, just for the record.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
I'm looking to pick up a Dell u2415. It seems I just missed a sale on Dell's site, but I can still get an acceptable price on Amazon/Newegg/etc. But will I get the premium panel guarantee if I purchase through one of these retailers? Is this something I should really care about even?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Newegg just took my money for the acer 27". Here's to getting a new monitor.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Newegg just took my money for the acer 27". Here's to getting a new monitor.

Sup new monitor anticipation buddy.
Small potatoes but half my disability cheque just went to this http://pcpartpicker.com/part/lg-monitor-24mb35pyb after 7 long years with a 1280x1024 and letterboxed videos.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Finally I found Acer XB270HU in stock. Sadly Directdial was totally charging me tax, and I've never heard of them.

http://www.macmall.com/p/Acer-Monitors/product~dpno~13454290~pdp.jagghdd

http://us.directdial.com/UM.HB0AA.001.html

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
How important is the difference between IPS and TN monitors on a gaming laptop? Disclaimer I am the target audience for a gaming laptop please don't tell me just don't buy one

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

signalnoise posted:

How important is the difference between IPS and TN monitors on a gaming laptop? Disclaimer I am the target audience for a gaming laptop please don't tell me just don't buy one

IPS on a laptop is even more important than it is on a desktop. Since you're way more likely to be using a laptop screen at something other than a perfect right angle. Get an IPS screen at pretty much any cost.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Not all IPS screens are equally good so try to find a review for the actual model you are buying (unfortunately easier said than done due to the sheer number of slightly different configs available)

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

I'm apparently incapable of making decisions on my own. Would it be better to have a 27 inch @ 1080p with g-sync or a 27 inch @ 1440p with a 60hz refresh and 5ms gtg? I mainly use my pc for gaming and very rarely have to do anything else with it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

suddenlyissoon posted:

I'm apparently incapable of making decisions on my own. Would it be better to have a 27 inch @ 1080p with g-sync or a 27 inch @ 1440p with a 60hz refresh and 5ms gtg? I mainly use my pc for gaming and very rarely have to do anything else with it.
Do you play twitch or high-performance FPS games where little more than framerate matters? Then get the 1080p and enjoy solid framerates with reasonable hardware. Do you play other things? Then lean towards the 1440p, but know you'll sacrifice some framerate for the substantially higher number of pixels.

GSync is pretty awesome, but 1080p at 27" is not. Some people think it's fine, but they are wrong and should :frogout: Honestly, Gsync on a 1080p monitor is edging on pointless, since there aren't many games these days that take Serious GPU Horsepower to push a solid 50-60FPS at 1080p.

Seriously, see if you can go to BestBuy or something like that and check out a 27" 1080p vs a 1440p. It's a noticeable difference, but it might not matter to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

suddenlyissoon posted:

27" 1440 with gsync :colbert:

(Also what Dr. Dork said.)