Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

quote:

organizations that celebrate and encourage the types of behaviors that facilitate the spreading of the HIV virus

What "behaviors" might Pence mean here? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

BuzzFeed Andy and his penchant to find old candidate websites in the Internet Archive strikes again:

Also on that site:

quote:

bringing an end to the "don’t ask/don’t tell" policy of permitting homosexuals to serve in the armed forces. Homosexuality is incompatible with military service because the presence of homosexuals in the ranks weakens unit cohesion.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Joementum posted:

Beats me. I'm sure the next sentence about funding institutions that help people "seeking to change their sexual behavior" is entirely unrelated.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I joined SA because I was sick of all of the bigotry prevalent on Reddit. Also, I had nostalgia for the forums I went to in college. I think the standard BBS format provides more interesting discussion than upvotes or karma or whatever that end up with the most mediocre poo poo floating to the top.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fried Chicken posted:

State department is calling for extending the Iran talks past Wednesday, citing "recent progress"

Breathing an actual sigh of relief here. I'm not so concerned about a nuclear bomb as I am that this is a good chance at making real diplomatic progress with Iran (a la Cuba) and seeing it get pissed away over the exportation condition seems like such wasted potential.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I joined to take part in LPs,,

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

DaveWoo posted:

Also on that site:

Ha is this stuff going to hurt him in reelection or is this just the finishing blows to a nonexistent presidential primary campaign?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Nativity In Black posted:

I joined SA because I was sick of all of the bigotry prevalent on Reddit. Also, I had nostalgia for the forums I went to in college. I think the standard BBS format provides more interesting discussion than upvotes or karma or whatever that end up with the most mediocre poo poo floating to the top.

This is very true - flat forums that bounce topics up to the top of the page upon one reply from a random user provide a very different community experience than a reddit-like concept. I'd read a sociology paper about how infrastructure like that can dictate what the community looks like and talks about. Seems like SA's structure is less amenable to circlejerking/catchphrases in general.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Heroin needles as an escape from the realities of a universe that elected noted Butt Bassoonist Mike Pence.

octobernight
Nov 25, 2004
High Priest of the Christian-Atheist Church

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Ha is this stuff going to hurt him in reelection or is this just the finishing blows to a nonexistent presidential primary campaign?

I doubt it. This is stuff that I'm sure nearly all red state governors support, even now. If anything, it shores up their conservative portfolios. I'm guessing it would kill their chances for being President, though.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

In what sounds like the absolute weakest way possible. After they solicit input from the very people they're intended to regulate, of course. And then tweak the proposed rules accordingly because they fear "regulatory overreach". Sure, it's something, I'll give them that, but it looks more like PR regulation to me.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Joementum posted:

Abstinence only education?

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

This will be glossed over/forgotten in a generation or two, just like the overt and open link between Christianity and the racism inherent in slavery. The loudest defenders of slavery used Bible verses and Christian tradition to argue that their position came from God. The same will happen with persecution of gay people - after a while it will be a liberal lie to mention the link or just straight up quote the Christian bigots of today.

In a century? Sure. In a generation or two? Maybe. But right now I think we're just at the start of the backlash against the progress we've made on gay rights. The religious right isn't just going to roll over on this and we're going to be fighting about it for another 20-30 years, like abortion. Even a supreme court ruling won't make them give up, they'll just keep chipping away at it and hope for another Casey decision that gives them cover to block it in the states.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It won't hurt him if he runs for governor or senator, and I'm yet to see anything that makes me think this kind of crap hurts you on a presidential election. Romney beat up a kid for being gay and it was barely a blip in the radar.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Family Values posted:

In a century? Sure. In a generation or two? Maybe. But right now I think we're just at the start of the backlash against the progress we've made on gay rights. The religious right isn't just going to roll over on this and we're going to be fighting about it for another 20-30 years, like abortion. Even a supreme court ruling won't make them give up, they'll just keep chipping away at it and hope for another Casey decision that gives them cover to block it in the states.
It's gonna be even worse when notoriousRBG retires and we get some mediocre center-right judge to replace her.

E: signed up because mspaint threads were so funny I thought the forums deserved my :10bux: plus I wanted to get rid of the ads

site fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 31, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Radbot posted:

This is very true - flat forums that bounce topics up to the top of the page upon one reply from a random user provide a very different community experience than a reddit-like concept. I'd read a sociology paper about how infrastructure like that can dictate what the community looks like and talks about. Seems like SA's structure is less amenable to circlejerking/catchphrases in general.

Explain Games then :rimshot:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fried Chicken posted:

Explain Games then :rimshot:

There is no explanation.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Family Values posted:

I unfortunately agree. I think it was this thread where someone said "the real fight [for gay rights] was 10 years ago" and I really wish they were right but don't think they are. I think this is just the start of it and we are going to start to see more and more pushback that is more and more unhinged. Jeb Lund had a good summary of how they play it on other issues. These folks have figured out how to play the "space in which to exercise" balance to get what they want, and are way more hot against gays than they are against women.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Men who forget about life after 30 and decide it's worth it to go to sex parties where 40 dudes get together. eventually, they get jealous of the people with AIDS, who are the "liberated" ones who don't have to care about who they have sex with, and have private AIDS-only sex parties. so they decide to get HIV and become free of all restrictions so they can party to their hearts consent. it's really painful speaking to guys who lived like that before getting old. Now a bunch of their friends are dead, and as it turns out, living with AIDS isn't quite as carefree as it had seemed like it would be. There's precious little for support groups and treatment to help curb that through education, and by promoting safe sex.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Fried Chicken and Joementum, if you guys ever come to DC for any reason, we need to have a ~goonmeet~ at the observation gallery in the House. I feel like having a running commentary from people who actually know what's going on combined with restraining to laugh out loud and throw things would be awesome. Also we can finally start the formal impeachment articles for Fried Chicken :getin:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Radish posted:

Yeah Carter helped start financial regulation and repeal federal usury laws. He's kind of like Biden in that he's kinda lovely but gets undeserved points for being a cool/nice guy.

He did it with a Democratic congress but I bet it was like Reagan's stuff where it he had a "Democratic" congress pass his terrible policies but in actuality it was a coalition between the garbage Blue Dog conservative Dems and the Republicans. I need to look it up when I have some more time.

I'm trying to find the exact article, but the Congress of 1978 might be one of the most consequential in history, starting the ball with Airline deregulation, usury law relaxation, the Public Utilities Regulatory Policies Act, and dismantling of financial prohibition legislation, that practically wrote the subsequent next few decades.

This book posits the administrations of Ford and Carter positioning nominees in regulating bodies over industry (FCC, etc) and the increasing "capture" and sway of industry actors on political and regulatory bodies outside of that as well.

In other places, I've seen the intensification of neo-liberal and conservative ideology, the 1979 oil crisis, the growth of transnational corporations and international trade, and event on the DC Circuit Court of Appeals.

If anyone else has something on the 95th Congress, I'm all ears.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Extremely good poo poo

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

SgtScruffy posted:

Fried Chicken and Joementum, if you guys ever come to DC for any reason, we need to have a ~goonmeet~ at the observation gallery in the House. I feel like having a running commentary from people who actually know what's going on combined with restraining to laugh out loud and throw things would be awesome. Also we can finally start the formal impeachment articles for Fried Chicken :getin:
There is no way in hell Joementum doesn't live in Washington DC.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

There is no way in hell Joementum doesn't live in Washington DC.

The second most salient fact about him is the state he lives in bud.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

What is going on in the Missouri Republican Party?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Don't most resistance bands work with you using your foot as the anchor? I always assumed he was doing some oblique/back strengthening reps and the band snapped, with the way he was pulling, he got spun around, lost his balance, and hit a cabinet.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MacheteZombie posted:

The paywall entices the ignorant.

it ensures a healthy mix of the rich and the ignorant.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Magic Resistance Band.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
The difference between abortion and gay rights in terms of how "done" we are fighting the fight is that young people view homosexuality as far more acceptable than their parents. Compare that against abortion and it's obvious that gay rights, while it will always be an issue, is undergoing a sea change because of generational differences. Young white people won't grow up and suddenly hate gay people.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Shageletic posted:

If anyone else has something on the 95th Congress, I'm all ears.

They also approved Stansfield Turner as head of the CIA. He then promptly laid off around 800 people. It was an attempt to switch from old-school agent spying into technical and signal intelligence. And that, in large part, is why the US was taken by surprise by the Iranian revolution and the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

People manage to find the stupidest ways to accidentally hurt themselves. If he is lying (hint: he's not), then it's probably because it's even more embarrassing than the story he went with. Like, maybe he lost his balance trying to wipe his rear end on the toilet and fell forward.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Unzip and Attack posted:

Young white people won't grow up and suddenly hate gay people.

But minorities sure will! :yum:

They already do and liberals ignore it because of white guilt.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

it ensures a healthy mix of the rich and the ignorant.

I'm surprised the forum isn't more right leaning.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Monkey Fracas posted:

I sometimes wonder why this isn't proposed as a solution to the whole problem. Government shouldn't be administering any religious ceremony-type things anyways, so why not just remove all pretenses of it and call Legal Marriage what it actually is?

Perhaps changing the language wouldn't solve the problem by itself, though.

Government was in the marriage business first, religion is the one that should gently caress off if they don't like it.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

duz posted:

Government was in the marriage business first, religion is the one that should gently caress off if they don't like it.

Handfastings and other religious rites and ceremonies surrounding partnering up existed long before solid governments and constitutions, I think.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Grey Fox posted:

People manage to find the stupidest ways to accidentally hurt themselves. If he is lying (hint: he's not), then it's probably because it's even more embarrassing than the story he went with. Like, maybe he lost his balance trying to wipe his rear end on the toilet and fell forward.

Actually it's because he's in the mobs pocket and they sent some goons over to rough him, a six term Senator and sitting Minority Leader, up in his house and he's so afraid of them that he is pretending he walked into a door.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Amergin posted:

But minorities sure will! :yum:

They already do and liberals ignore it because of white guilt.

Are claiming minorities have issues with being anti-gay or that they suddenly turn anti-gay when they grow up because those are two pretty different lines.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Karnegal posted:

Are claiming minorities have issues with being anti-gay or that they suddenly turn anti-gay when they grow up because those are two pretty different lines.

I'm claiming they have issues with homosexuals until they go to prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Radbot posted:

I kind of like the model Vox uses, where people's posts can be 'upvoted', but it doesn't put the post higher in the thread, it just makes it a more noticeable color if enough people do it. It's a decent combination of both styles.

• Locked thread