Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darko
Dec 23, 2004

^^^Yep. So dumb.

In It For The Tank posted:

Is there a quote you could point to? I haven't seen the film in a while.

I know the fandom like to make allowances for this kind of thing (see: Bardock clearly being in space but everyone hand waving it as being the uppermost orbit), but at a certain point you kind of have to admit they're in space or so close to it that the difference is negligible. I mean, there might be some oxygen but they're panting all the time and talking so science goes out the window. My larger point is that , SSG+ Vegeta should have survived the destruction of the planet and then leisurely murdered Freeza since he could last a couple of minutes without breathing even in the vaccuum of space.

The ending sounds so contrived. Not in the normally tolerable/understandable way where no one ever considers using Solar Flare + Kienzan but more because it sounds like they wrote a story like they were going end it a certain way and then changed their minds and pulled a "rocks fell everybody dies" so Goku could be the hero. There's nothing wrong with Goku being the hero (well, on paper), but there needs to be a narrative build up to it. It's like in Movie 13 where it looks like Trunks and Tapion are gonna defeat the villain and then suddenly they don't and now Goku's the last one standing and he's pulling the Dragon Fist out of his rear end. In RoF, Vegeta has all but won and then instead of just ending it right then and there, they tack on a twist only to immediately resolve it with time travel.

I don't have a quote now, but I remember reading that in descriptions of the movie before it came out.

As for the ending to this movie, it looks like the entire point is that...

Whis is training Goku and Vegeta and basically explains that they;re pretty equal to each other. This is demonstrated in the Freeza fight where they both "win" in different ways. However, because they are fighting to prove who is the "best" at fighting, and Freeza is a big dumb sore loser who just blows up the planet because he loses, Whis is fine with running time back. Because it's Vegeta, and not Goku that is in the middle of the fight when running time back, he lets Goku interfere to stop the bad ending.

The ending lets them both shine, but Goku just happens to be the one "out" of the situation that can actually interfere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
So uh...Goku going back in time should mean there are now two Goku's, right? One who stops Freeza, and the other who is beaten up?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

facebook jihad posted:

So uh...Goku going back in time should mean there are now two Goku's, right? One who stops Freeza, and the other who is beaten up?

Goku is inside the Sphere of influence for the Time Travel, so he's not left in the affected by it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
That whole "stronger than Buu" thing was weird to me even as a dumb kid because I thought it wasn't that the guy was stronger, but rather that he was trickier to fight since he can merge and control any and all metal while Buu is a singular entity. So while I could easily look past this as a translation error, I don't know what the Japanese had and that could be the one at fault.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 31, 2015

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
If I didn't know better, I'd think Dragonball GT was written before the cast was shoehorned in. Kinda like how the super mario bros 2 that got released out of Japan was a completely different game with mario characters replacing the originals.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i dont like the blue hair. theres too many hair colors now/

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

red hair - cool kaio ken, sick rear end technique
gold hair - insanely good super sayain
spikier gold hair - super sayain two comes with lightning, good.
long and ridic. gold hair - ss3, a bit over the top, dont like the design
other red hair - ss god, whatever looks kinda cool with the fire and stuff
blue hair - i dont even know. thought they didnt have to go ss anymore.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I think GT would be a lot more palatable if they dropped the power level escalation, at least from the beginning. The grand tour crew is a literal child, a guy stuck in his weak, underpowered child body, and a man who hadn't been in a serious fight since he was 8. There's no need to make Rildo stronger than Buu. "As strong as Freeza" would have sufficed.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Or they could not try to play up dudes as big threats and have actual goofy adventures instead.

Written by somebody competent

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I mean, a ton of Dragonball was Goku just kicking everyone's rear end without much tension. It was more the stakes Goku was fighting for.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Goku should just wish for a stronger rival.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Goku turns into a child, takes another blow to the head, falls into another dimension, and then calls himself Monkey D. Luffy and punches some pirates.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Goku could have just kept having stupid adventures forever Kochikame style

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Really SonGo's Mystical Adventures would definitly not be a bad series, although for the 4th series it has to become SonPan's Mystical Adventures, but why not, the Monkey king and his descendents running about having magical adventures.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

They should just have Future Trunks kill Frieza again. Like, still do the Goku goes back in time thing, but just before he kills Frieza, Trunks jumps out of nowhere and chops him up again.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Vegeta should have been about to eat poo poo along with Earth, only to be saved by an incoming Destructo Disk slicing Frieza in half

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Dexo posted:

Goku is inside the Sphere of influence for the Time Travel, so he's not left in the affected by it.

This, like all time travel, doesn't make any sense. Sorry

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

facebook jihad posted:

Whis just vaporized the other Goku after they went back in time. Problem solved.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

tbp posted:

blue hair - i dont even know. thought they didnt have to go ss anymore.

This is actually wrong. What Toriyama said is that, after Battle of Gods, Goku realizes that training his Super Saiyan form will be far more effective than using the Super Saiyan 2 or 3 forms, while using far less energy. As such, Goku and Vegeta (and Gohan because Toriyama forgot again that Gohan doesn't need it) will keep using the original Super Saiyan state as their "default" high-level fight state. The Blue Super Saiyan is the original Super Saiyan state after becoming a Saiyan beyond God, it's not a theoretical Super Saiyan 5.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Talking about GT and the new movies made me wonder something: Super Saiyan God makes Goku and Vegeta more powerful, but would regrowing their tails make them even more powerful?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Mraagvpeine posted:

All this GT talk makes me wonder something: Super Saiyan God makes Goku and Vegeta more powerful, but would regrowing their tails make them even more powerful?

Well if you became a Super Saiyan God 4 and turned into an electric-blue monkey man or some poo poo like that, I guess so.

Caros
May 14, 2008

The Bee posted:

Well if you became a Super Saiyan God 4 and turned into an electric-blue monkey man or some poo poo like that, I guess so.

Spoiler pics are coming out from the new film about exactly this!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
We were discussing DBZ openings like a hundred pages back, but we didn't talk about DB openings. Here's the opening to Dragonball in Castillian. Zero regard for meter. The guy sounds like my old portero. :allears: http://youtu.be/m3vn5OLrDDI

I actually like the Funimation version a lot, especially since they worked in the English parts of the original.

So 80s...

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Caros posted:

Spoiler pics are coming out from the new film about exactly this!

that poo poo so 90s

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

facebook jihad posted:

whis is a god he can do whatever he wants

he can time travel and not make any new timelines and whatever else he wants

done

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

sharktamer posted:

that poo poo so 90s

Time for a death battle of which is more 90's.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

This is actually wrong. What Toriyama said is that, after Battle of Gods, Goku realizes that training his Super Saiyan form will be far more effective than using the Super Saiyan 2 or 3 forms, while using far less energy. As such, Goku and Vegeta (and Gohan because Toriyama forgot again that Gohan doesn't need it) will keep using the original Super Saiyan state as their "default" high-level fight state. The Blue Super Saiyan is the original Super Saiyan state after becoming a Saiyan beyond God, it's not a theoretical Super Saiyan 5.

it should just be gold hair then bc thats what it was in BOG. and they already did the whole insane thing where they mastered SS in the time chamber! also there was never any indication that ss2 took too much power, its the default for everyone in buu onwards. also the blue looks silly.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Time for a death battle of which is more 90's.

Why does Superman need guns? Man is faster than a speeding bullet!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The man just died, give him some slack.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

tbp posted:

it should just be gold hair then bc thats what it was in BOG. and they already did the whole insane thing where they mastered SS in the time chamber! also there was never any indication that ss2 took too much power, its the default for everyone in buu onwards. also the blue looks silly.

Yeah, the entire point behind SS2 was that it conferred all the benefits of Ascended/Ultra/Super Vegeta/TooManyNames Super Saiyan without the bulk and speed loss. It was always portrayed as strictly superior to SS1. Conversely, SS3 was always a form that Goku had a hard time sustaining with a living body and used so much energy that it actively drained his life force. I can completely understand discontinuing the use of SS3, but SS2 should still work fine.

I guess I can kinda buy the "more efficient" argument since Goku and Gohan were able to master it enough to stay in it at all times. I guess another transformation on top of it is inherently stressful, but it shouldn't be enough of a strain to completely drop its use.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Mr. Maltose posted:

The man just died, give him some slack.

Did his death damage his ability to reason and perform abstract valuing?

tbp posted:

To be fair, you haven't seen what it looks like yet outside of a toy. It might look find animated.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Covok posted:

Why does Superman need guns? Man is faster than a speeding bullet!

He died and came back almost entirely powerless.

Covok
May 27, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

He died and came back almost entirely powerless.

Oh...why? I don't mean in fiction, I mean why did DC comics think it'd be cool to take away all the powers of the Superman and make him look like the Punisher? It just feels so out of left field.

Edit: He has a similar color scheme to the punisher in that picture.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Zonekeeper posted:

Yeah, the entire point behind SS2 was that it conferred all the benefits of Ascended/Ultra/Super Vegeta/TooManyNames Super Saiyan without the bulk and speed loss. It was always portrayed as strictly superior to SS1. Conversely, SS3 was always a form that Goku had a hard time sustaining with a living body and used so much energy that it actively drained his life force. I can completely understand discontinuing the use of SS3, but SS2 should still work fine.

I guess I can kinda buy the "more efficient" argument since Goku and Gohan were able to master it enough to stay in it at all times. I guess another transformation on top of it is inherently stressful, but it shouldn't be enough of a strain to completely drop its use.

I too am an expert on aliens with gold hair.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Covok posted:

Oh...why? I don't mean in fiction, I mean why did DC comics think it'd be cool to take away all the powers of the Superman and make him look like the Punisher? It just feels so out of left field.

Edit: He has a similar color scheme to the punisher in that picture.

It was after he was beaten to death by Doomsday. It didn't last beyond the story where he was resurrected. (He gets repowered at the end of it.)

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

another thought -> why did it start taking goku less and less time to turn ss3. it takes him like 20 mins the first time, then to show goten and trunks takes like 3 mins, then against super buu its instant! utterly ridiculous

Covok
May 27, 2013

tbp posted:

another thought -> why did it start taking goku less and less time to turn ss3. it takes him like 20 mins the first time, then to show goten and trunks takes like 3 mins, then against super buu its instant! utterly ridiculous

The first time he did it, he was dead. Gotenks is literally magic. Then, the next time Goku did it, he was alive.

Makes sense to me.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

tbp posted:

The first time Goku transforms, he's trying to stall Buu. He goes through all three Super forms in order, and even shows off different ways to transform. After that he's transforming to fight so he's not going to waste time.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
SSJ 2 has always been an incredible boring concept and to this day I am convinced it started out as nothing more than Gohan's rage bonus in SSJ form. It is barely visually distinct from the normal SSJ and nobody comments on it in any way until the new arc started and Vegata was able to pull it off. Also, I also thought that the 'SSJ as base form' thing was what was able to reap all the benefits of the subforms without the drawbacks, i.e.being difficult to maintain.

My personal theory on SSJ3 is that is was some kind of supernatural form of the transformation, something that only supernatural being, like ghosts or fusions can archive. I mean, Goku technically used it after he got back to life, but since he was revived with divine life energy, I think the theory still holds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

sharktamer posted:

that poo poo so 90s

That's just the new Gran Tier Rajang armor for Monster Hunter 5.

• Locked thread