Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

The higher ups at SCG are probably short-stroking it over the number of people buying into some format they invented to jack up the prices on dollar rares

I'm short-stroking it over the Clique I mostly got from a loving foil Merieke and a Scarecrone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm short-stroking it over the Clique I mostly got from a loving foil Merieke and a Scarecrone

I actually looked up Scarecrone's price history. What the gently caress is this format doing? That card was 5 bucks back in September.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Count Bleck posted:

I actually looked up Scarecrone's price history. What the gently caress is this format doing? That card was 5 bucks back in September.

People are real excited about a card whose only use is in decks that aren't legal in TL. If it is TL then it's because Magic players are on the aggregate bad at Magic.

Unless there's some super sekret synergy I'm missing. Which I am certain I am not.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What is Tiny Leaders, just EDH with 3 CMC or less creatures?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Gyshall posted:

and 50 card(I think?) decks.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Gyshall posted:

50-card decks, every card must be CMC3 or less, and one-on-one. Otherwise, same as EDH.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

50-card decks, every card must be CMC3 or less, and one-on-one. Otherwise, same as EDH.

Also theres no commander damage rule, and you start at 25 life. Also the banned list isn't stupid like Commander's banlist.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

My friend tried to explain to me the whole situation with the tiny leaders trademark or whatever cuz he wrote a paper about it in a patents class. It's v lol-worthy if you get a chance to read up on it. All this just adds to that.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Well do you have a link or something?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

En Fuego posted:

God drat. Tried to make a Skullbriar Tiny Leader deck and realized it's probably one of the most expensive ones to make it fun. Made Ezuri instead, elf tribal, which was infinitely cheaper (monoG commander deck was so helpful).

I actually posted my Shullbriar TL deck in the Commander thread yesterday.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

People are real excited about a card whose only use is in decks that aren't legal in TL. If it is TL then it's because Magic players are on the aggregate bad at Magic.

Unless there's some super sekret synergy I'm missing. Which I am certain I am not.

The card that reanimates stuff for 4 isn't applicable to commander type formats like TL?

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Scarecrone's price spike predates Tiny Leaders going big. It correlates with the release of the Daretti, Scrap Savant Commander 2014 deck and the unbanning of Metalworker in EDH.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Veyrall posted:

Well do you have a link or something?

No. I assume the knowledge is public enough if he was able to write a paper on it. Really it's the shell corporation part and the vague reasons for even partaking in the whole thing if their intentions are supposedly pure as my friend claims in his paper.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
wait so is there anything aside from like, these guys dont want people selling shirts that say "tiny leaders"

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Is it not common knowledge that store owners had every incentive to encourage EDH spread due to people caring about garbage cards?

I know I had this conversation with an LGS owner wrt EDH I knew back in 2010.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
same w/ modern lol

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

:eyepop:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

magic players are so loving dumb

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
At least with Tiny Leaders the pretense of "this is a casual format" gets thrown out the window and it gets properly recognized as yet another hardcore spike format whereas in EDH-proper we still call it a casual format, despite the number of dudes running grips of tutors and un-fun rear end in a top hat combos.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
magic has casual formats?

I mean like, aside from magic in sweatpants or shorts.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Angry Grimace posted:

dudes running grips of tutors and un-fun rear end in a top hat combos.

Show me on the Stuffy Doll where the Netdecker touched you.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zoness posted:

I don't believe anyone who knows what a mana curve is should ever refer to themselves as a casual player. Your just a non-tournament player, because even those 60 card chaos multiplayer people are hyper competitive, its just card availability is the restriction on what is played, not the format and banned list.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Zoness posted:

casual format: buy some all commons repack, preferably w/ cards in languages you can't read, get drunk, shuffle in lands, play w/ taht

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
casual format: get some dudes who don't know how to play magic, give them some boosters, and follow whatever rules they invent to play the game

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

At least with Tiny Leaders the pretense of "this is a casual format" gets thrown out the window and it gets properly recognized as yet another hardcore spike format whereas in EDH-proper we still call it a casual format, despite the number of dudes running grips of tutors and un-fun rear end in a top hat combos.

I mean you can run your dumb degenerate Zur Hulkmania bullshit and your Niv Mizzet infinite damage, I'll be over here generating shitloads of damage with Norin, Genesis Chamber, Purphoros/Warstorm Surge/Pandemonium/Impact Tremors.

Enjoy tapping your non-basics for red fuckheads, I just Gambled for Krenko again. :smaug:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

black potus posted:

casual format: buy some all commons repack, preferably w/ cards in languages you can't read, get drunk, shuffle in lands, play w/ taht

holy moly this is a good namechange

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

AgentSythe posted:

holy moly this is a good namechange

glad you enjoy

casual format: 50 card decks, multiplayer, everyone has wheel of sun and moon in effect at all times on them. creatures all have the lure clause. you don't lose the game for having 0 or less life. when you draw from an empty deck, you win. it's called lab maniacs

e: and doomsday is banned

e2: maybe actually the wheel clause effects exiled cards too

e3: not lure, they must be blocked by at least one guy

black potus fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 31, 2015

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

black potus posted:

casual format: get some dudes who don't know how to play magic, give them some boosters, and follow whatever rules they invent to play the game
Holy poo poo this sounds awesome

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

black potus posted:

Sounds like how Hearthstone happened.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

black potus posted:

I've mini-mastered dollar store boosters, and it's anything but casual.

It's more casual than the draft format, at least.

black potus posted:

Make this the next thunderdome.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
Prices can only go up in accordance with how much people actually like the format.

Seems like a win-win for the resellers and the people that are enjoying the format. Any cards that were cheap and now aren't were cheap because noone was actually using them to have fun.

There is a slight problem where people buy the more expensive cards for use in other formats, however this still reflects total demand. The "extra" fun people get from the use of now relevant cards means that the total extra fun will increase overall.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

mcmagic posted:

You don't need more than 2 at the absolute most of Torrent Elemental, I'd actually go with 1. You also don't need 3 Hornet Queen's. The whole point of playing the new Sidisi is so you dont have to play as many of those game ending bombs and you can just find them with Sidisi. Also I think you want Thoughtsieze in the MB and a few Duress in the board. You don't want Silence either, It's too slow. Try Suital Charm. I also hate Frontier Siege in this deck.

Im not really interested in just playing ried dukes list.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Im not really interested in just playing ried dukes list.

He's better at magic than you. You don't have to play his entire 75 but there is a reason he's making those choices.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

He's better at magic than you. You don't have to play his entire 75 but there is a reason he's making those choices.

Eh, there's nothing wrong with tuning a list to suit your own preferences.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bhsman posted:

Eh, there's nothing wrong with tuning a list to suit your own preferences.

Oh I know but you don't just play different cards for the sake of playing different cards. There should be some kind of rational behind the choices you're making.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 31, 2015

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Micro-Magic: No cards above 1 CMC, 30 card minimum for decks, and no banlist. Otherwise just a regular game of Magic with singleton building rules.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Also, it's 1-player.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

mcmagic posted:

Oh I know but you don't just play different cards for the sake of playing different cards. There should be some time of rational behind the choices you're making.

I never have a rationale when deck building. All I do is toss piles of cards together and not think at all hoping it works out well. See this is real magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Emerson Cod posted:

Micro-Magic: No cards above 1 CMC, 30 card minimum for decks, and no banlist. Otherwise just a regular game of Magic with singleton building rules.

Finally a place for me to play my contract from below.

• Locked thread