Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nmfree posted:

It's literally a one-click install on Lithium Hosting, and it's only $15/year for Lithium's cheapest plan.
His whole objective was to not pay so even $15/year seems a little high to my ears.

As someone who actually pays for poo poo I sympathize with him though (and I understand he pays for poo poo too, given his need for Evernote compatibility). I have 9 RSS feeds and have already paid for the excellent gReader Pro. There's no point throwing recurring subscription money at nine feeds no matter how much better it is.

That said I understand the dilemma here. RSS is an ongoing expense for the provider and I appreciate that and wouldn't mind deferring that cost somehow. If I was a heavy RSS user I'd have no problem setting up Tiny Tiny RSS or paying Feedly but the cost of the subscription model just doesn't scale down to my level where outside of the Chrome release blog I see maybe 30 articles a year. Of course I don't care about social features, saving articles, or sharing options, I just want to read the article and move on. I can see where article retention and things of that nature can and should be paid features.

I guess I shouldn't feel too guilty in this case of letting the power users subsidize my free usage in this case but for good services I do like to pay when I can simply to encourage a robust ecosystem. I don't like falling on the freeloader side of things though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fjom
Mar 6, 2006
Lurker Extraordinaire

crimedog posted:

Anyone using Pocket Casts get podcast metadata shifting up the playlist? It's so weird, one podcast's metadata will be copied up the playlist continuously about once a second. I'm on a Galaxy Nexus with 4.3 so that's probably the problem.

I think i had another form of this same issue last Friday: the currently playing screen kept switching between the podcast artwork and the episode artwork and apparently was downloading it each time since it ate 100MB of data in a couple hours even with all the "Only use WiFi" settings turned on.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So I recently got upgraded from a Galaxy S3 to an S5. Everything's pretty great, except for Pandora. My head unit in my car has bluetooth with Pandora functionality. On the S3, it mostly worked fine, but it occasionally wouldn't link the controls when it auto-started Pandora in my car until I restarted the app.

Now on the S5, the stereo controls don't work at all. It plays through the speakers just fine, on both the Bluetooth and Pandora stereo inputs, but the head unit just says "check device" and I have to pause/skip/change stations through my phone. It's really annoying; has anyone else encountered a problem like this? Restarting the app/phone/stereo have no effect, can't seem to find any options in the menus of either the phone or stereo that might help.

Stereo is Kenwood KDC-X896, phone is a Galaxy S5 running 4.4.4 (stock, and I'm with AT&T if that matters). I'll crosspost to the car audio thread just in case, but I'm thinking it's the phone since it only really happens on the S5.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Is there a way to get NFC to work when the screen is locked?

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I'm having an issue with Google+ that I've trouble-shot as much as I know how to already so I bring it to you, the wisest people on the internet.

In my feed or wall or whatever, G+ will show me the newest posts from all the pages I follow, as it should. After a not-very-long time scrolling through the new posts it will begin only showing me the same 10 or so posts from a very long time ago. These posts are always the same and always from two people in my circles. It's either a thing that they've shared or +1'd. Once I've scrolled through those posts my feed ends, full stop.

I used to be able to scroll through my feed seemingly forever and now it bottoms out with the same 10 or so posts.

Is this an intended function or what? I've cleared cache and data and I'm pretty sure I fully uninstalled and reinstalled but can't remember.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

caveman thug poo poo posted:

I'm having an issue with Google+ that I've trouble-shot as much as I know how to already so I bring it to you, the wisest people on the internet.

In my feed or wall or whatever, G+ will show me the newest posts from all the pages I follow, as it should. After a not-very-long time scrolling through the new posts it will begin only showing me the same 10 or so posts from a very long time ago. These posts are always the same and always from two people in my circles. It's either a thing that they've shared or +1'd. Once I've scrolled through those posts my feed ends, full stop.

I used to be able to scroll through my feed seemingly forever and now it bottoms out with the same 10 or so posts.

Is this an intended function or what? I've cleared cache and data and I'm pretty sure I fully uninstalled and reinstalled but can't remember.
No one has ever read that many G+ posts, Googlers included.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Is there a twitter app that won't randomly move my timeline up to the most recent tweet? I like to read tweets in chronological order but with Plume and the official app I have to go scrolling back to find my place all the time.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Human Tornada posted:

Is there a twitter app that won't randomly move my timeline up to the most recent tweet? I like to read tweets in chronological order but with Plume and the official app I have to go scrolling back to find my place all the time.

Fenix and Falcon Pro are my top choices

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Human Tornada posted:

Fenix, use Tweetmarker. Falcon doesn't have Tweetmarker support yet so I think it still jumps around the timeline a bit.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Cool, thanks.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
What are you guys using for a forums app, Awful or Something? I noticed that Something hasn't been updated since last June but Awful was last December.

Any glaring differences between the 2?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BoyBlunder posted:

What are you guys using for a forums app, Awful or Something? I noticed that Something hasn't been updated since last June but Awful was last December.

Something lacks stuff and isn't in active development. One thing it lacks but sorely needs is an emoticon picker.

Apart from that I prefer Something in most ways but follow Awful as well.

vvv That's definitely the truth.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 1, 2015

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

Something lacks stuff and isn't in active development. One thing it lacks but sorely needs is an emoticon picker.

Apart from that I prefer Something in most ways but follow Awful as well.

Look at this scrub that doesn't have all of the emots memorized. What Something needs is quote highlighting so I can quickly tell when someone quotes my posts.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Human Tornada posted:

That's weird; I've only ever used Plume (I'm not a heavy user so I don't care about whatever it might be lacking), and it used to have this problem, but I haven't seen it in months.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Human Tornada posted:

My Plume has always stayed put, maybe check your settings?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I haven't used Plume in years, but I think they have an option for "Remember place in timeline" or some such

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

I haven't used Plume in years, but I think they have an option for "Remember place in timeline" or some such

Tweetmarker.

Plume is hit or miss on it really but it should work for the most part. I swear, ever since UberMedia bought them out Plume went to poo poo.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

BoyBlunder posted:

I used Awful at first, switched to Something because it was newer and shinier, but switched back to Awful because i like the aesthetics/flow of the app better. No emote picker in Something was one of my main annoyances, also.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Does anyone know of a today in history style app that's worth using? Also related a quote of the day app?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

BoyBlunder posted:

I prefer Awful. Also, it has gotten two updates in the last couple of weeks (although I'm part of the beta and the update might not have been pushed to the standard version yet.)

Cor Geal
Aug 2, 2012
Having just got a new tablet with nothing installed bar stock android apps I was wondering if there any recommendations for a good email app, and a decent eBook reader for both comics and ebooks?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Gmail can do other email sources now, although I found the integration a bit funky. Hopefully that'll be remedied when the unified inbox update hits, but until then I've found MyMail to be the best POP3/IMAP app.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Something I think is better only because it has a colored bar at the top in Lollipop and I like that.

Haven't tried Awful in ages though, I'll check it out.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Gmail can do other email sources now, although I found the integration a bit funky. Hopefully that'll be remedied when the unified inbox update hits, but until then I've found MyMail to be the best POP3/IMAP app.
Unless I'm missing something, it always opens to your GMail inbox and you have to use the hamburger menu to select All Inboxes so it's definitely still kind of funky. I only use my GMail so it's no big deal to me, but if I relied on my alternate account for anything I'd not be a fan.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Unless I'm missing something, it always opens to your GMail inbox and you have to use the hamburger menu to select All Inboxes so it's definitely still kind of funky. I only use my GMail so it's no big deal to me, but if I relied on my alternate account for anything I'd not be a fan.

Yeah, that's what it was. Like I said, I'm hoping the recent update that includes a combined inbox will solve that. Basically I just want Thunderbird on my phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Yeah, that's what it was. Like I said, I'm hoping the recent update that includes a combined inbox will solve that. Basically I just want Thunderbird on my phone.
I've got the recent update, I'm telling you that's how it works. It opens to your GMail inbox. Instead of clicking the circles in the top of the hamburger to switch to the other accounts (which you can still do), there is an option at the top that says All Inboxes which shows everything all together but it doesn't do it until you take that step and you have to take that step every time.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Something doesn't link to posts properly, it links to the top of a page or the thread OP instead, so Awful is the best.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Awful's icon is the frog and Something's isn't. I think that makes Awful the clear winner.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

LastInLine posted:

It always opens to the last account I was using for me?

I rarely use my gmail yet use gmail for my main imap mail

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Okay so I just installed Awful + joined the beta and it does look a lot better. It's the better app again. Cool.

:clint:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Is there a way in lollipop to change my Google now settings to play music from something other than Play Music app (poweramp for example)?
By default, saying "play [song name]" always defaults to the Play Music app and I can't seem to find a way to change that.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

couldcareless posted:

Is there a way in lollipop to change my Google now settings to play music from something other than Play Music app (poweramp for example)?
By default, saying "play [song name]" always defaults to the Play Music app and I can't seem to find a way to change that.

Unless they changed it, when Google Now pops up with that loading bar and says "playing so and so" there should be a little icon on the left that shows the Play Music icon, if you hit that you should be able to change it to Spotify or whatever.

Sorry if this makes no sense, I'm at work right now and can't take some screenshots for you.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Skeezy posted:

Unless they changed it, when Google Now pops up with that loading bar and says "playing so and so" there should be a little icon on the left that shows the Play Music icon, if you hit that you should be able to change it to Spotify or whatever.

Sorry if this makes no sense, I'm at work right now and can't take some screenshots for you.

It used to do that, but I found the option never stuck even when I changed it. Trying it again now, it appears there have been updates to Now and/or Play Music that causes it to skip that entirely and opens straight up to Play Music with the song playing

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

couldcareless posted:

It used to do that, but I found the option never stuck even when I changed it. Trying it again now, it appears there have been updates to Now and/or Play Music that causes it to skip that entirely and opens straight up to Play Music with the song playing

Then I'm sorry I can't tell you how to fix it :( Google doesn't like to make things easy.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Yes!
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/04/01/google-reader-rises-from-the-grave-with-new-material-update/

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

:smith:

You know what this is right?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Skeezy posted:

:smith:

You know what this is right?

The best blast from the past ever?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Skeezy posted:

Okay so I just installed Awful + joined the beta and it does look a lot better. It's the better app again. Cool.

:clint:

I dunno, the thread listing looks worse to me, especially the dark theme and I quite like swiping from the left to view bookmarks.

Also, is it just me or is the project.log subforum missing in Awful?

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 1, 2015

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

AnimalChin posted:

My Plume has always stayed put, maybe check your settings?

Sorry, in the interest of brevity I lumped both apps together. I actually stopped using Plume because occasionally it would refuse to update my timeline, manually or otherwise, then after a few days of trying it would suddenly work and now I've got 3k new tweets to slog through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I use Life Time Alarm Clock. I like it, but it doesn't put the alarm icon in the status bar. Is it setting alarms differently than, say, the system Clock app? It hasn't missed an alarm ever, but should I be worried about the possibility? I can't set priority until the next alarm with this

• Locked thread