Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum

edit: no idea if it's useful though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks for your time! Yeah, that was my deal. I googled for resources but don't really know who's worth listening to since I'm new to audio production in general. I've always just thrown my blue yeti pro into stereo mode and had it point to the middle of our amps!

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013
Just another track I made: http://tindeck.com/listen/rgnng

Slightly calmer and slower than what I usually make.

Edit: updated link

TZer0 fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Apr 1, 2015

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Futuresonus Parva is up on kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/futuresonus/parva-polyphonic-analog-synthesizer

Mono version is $499, additional voice cards (up to 8 total) can be added at $100 a pop. Or you can get the full 8-note poly setup for $999. also has a usb master port which is nice since a lot of cheaper controllers don't have din midi anymore

pretty tempting but i'm not sure i want to drop a grand on a kickstarter.

breaks
May 12, 2001

"There are lots of well established similar products, but ours is better and cheaper" is a huge kickstarter red flag. Don't do it man!

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

lads... :frog:

ladss... :frogc00l:

i have ~ Embraced ~ ~ Modula ~

lads :getin:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
What uses din MIDI? My Analog 4 has it but I've never heard of it before.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
So we got a minimoog kit now.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

The only kit I think I'd ever build is the 2600 clone.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Mr. Glass posted:

Futuresonus Parva is up on kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/futuresonus/parva-polyphonic-analog-synthesizer

Mono version is $499, additional voice cards (up to 8 total) can be added at $100 a pop. Or you can get the full 8-note poly setup for $999. also has a usb master port which is nice since a lot of cheaper controllers don't have din midi anymore

pretty tempting but i'm not sure i want to drop a grand on a kickstarter.

I'm incredibly tempted to drop money on this.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Oldcrow you jewel

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Remember to estimate the chance of you losing your money and dividing $999 by that before deciding if it's worth it.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

JamesKPolk posted:

Ah, okay, yeah I was completely talking past you. I thought Dead Gay Baby was complaining about not hearing any response from tweaking stuff til he re-triggered (not essential, but you can get some cool sampled sounds with it and it feels nice dialing in a patch), not worrying about how accurate it would sound.

renderful posted:

The ESQ-1's lack of real time parameters editing is annoying and definitely not the way any of my other synths work.

Other synths, I can send realtime MIDI data(or use the menu/knobs) to change the osc waveforms, osc pitch and filters, and hear realtime feedback on a single note/drone. On the ESQ-1, you have to retrigger the note to hear a change. You can get realtime feedback with the filter on the ESQ-1, if you map it to the MOD-wheel, however. Sadly they don't allow you to map all of the parameters to the modulation wheel. I believe that their split/voice stealing implementation is what causes this.

It was this!! Yes. I am whiny.

Also. NO one wants my Moog Sub37.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Sorry man, my tabletop is full :(

Part of me wants to pick up a Minitaur just to have a Moog but eh. My Microbrute has been getting pretty short shrift too, I should find a place for it more.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Tayter Swift posted:

What uses din MIDI? My Analog 4 has it but I've never heard of it before.

DIN MIDI just refers to the five-pin standard MIDI jacks that appear on just about everything. DIN itself stands for something German and unpronounceable, it's their version of ISO.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

never tried to make acid before. it's hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxG2dClJcPE

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Rhythmic Robot just posted a really nice tutorial on getting vintage synth tone. Someone try it out and let us know how it goes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL_N3A5gVhQ

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Trig Discipline posted:

Rhythmic Robot just posted a really nice tutorial on getting vintage synth tone. Someone try it out and let us know how it goes!

Trigger warning that poo poo

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I only use soft synths so I'm just going to throw my laptop off the deck until it's cool.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Gore before breakfast cool

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Trig Discipline posted:

Pshh, real vintage tone starts with a DX7 MK I. You can do all that and more but the Brown Beast will never die! (Any idea what 80s studio might have owned and abused this back in the day? It has very faded stencils on the bottom and engravings everywhere for "LA DN SIC 00182XXXX")

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

yeeeah shared system owns!

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Scatterfold posted:

lads... :frog:

ladss... :frogc00l:

i have ~ Embraced ~ ~ Modula ~

lads :getin:

>tfw no kidney
>mfw someone tells me i need an h8000 as well

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

It is, as Borat would say, "very. nice."

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

i've only had an evening to play around with it so far, and christ it's going to take a lot of learning - but, it does feel almost 'alive'; i don't think i've played any electronic instrument quite like it. I did this last night with the DPO, Phonogene (with a sample of birdsong I SOSed off of the Macauley Library) and the Echophon.

https://soundcloud.com/scatterfold/shared-system-test

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

drat it friends, I'm not supposed to be wanting to go modular. Stop this pls

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
What the hell do you want with a thing that's just one voice?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Recommend moving the thread to TCC.

Traded for an OTO Biskweee, nice little box. Best sounding bit reduction I've got. My biggest lament with the MnM/MD reduction is that it's got such a small sweet spot, but this thing is great no matter how gnarly it gets.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I hit a sequence of 3 keys on the ensoniq, my patch is stored for all of eternity. I want to hear it, play it, all I have to do is load it. You fools are taking goddamn iphone photos of your patches and hoping that you can recreate them with your silly string.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Sizone posted:

I hit a sequence of 3 keys on the ensoniq, my patch is stored for all of eternity. I want to hear it, play it, all I have to do is load it. You fools are taking goddamn iphone photos of your patches and hoping that you can recreate them with your silly string.

That solved that desire quickly.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Mods change my name to sonic silly string tia

david mammoth
Oct 15, 2012
April Fool's is the cruellest of days.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

snorch posted:

the Shared System? It's definitely not.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

david mammoth posted:

April Fool's is the cruellest of days.

I love the D-Beam at the bottom.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

snorch posted:

It's not one voice. Also, yeah, monosynths are really undesirable. :rolleyes:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Oldstench posted:

It's not one voice. Also, yeah, monosynths are really undesirable. :rolleyes:

Does it have a good piano patch??

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Guys. GUYS. YOUUUU GUYYYYYS my modular is finally in the US! It landed in San Fran (!!) this morning. Maybe it makes it by the weekend? Noodle hoooooooooo!

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
Since we're talking Eurocrack.....What would you guys suggest as a quality meaty oscillator? I already have a Braids and a Tides but I'd like to add at least one more sound generator into the rack. I'm not looking to drop $800 on an oscillator but it would be nice if it had some decent cv control (pwm, ability to be FMed, etc). Primary use will be layer with the other for thick drones. This is what I'm working with currently:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/135529

I plan to add a Maths for more modulation options and some vcas in the near future.

Edit: I have 208hp worth of more racks on the way so I don't need some super cramped 2hp monstrosity or anything.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Bolange posted:

Since we're talking Eurocrack.....What would you guys suggest as a quality meaty oscillator? I already have a Braids and a Tides but I'd like to add at least one more sound generator into the rack. I'm not looking to drop $800 on an oscillator but it would be nice if it had some decent cv control (pwm, ability to be FMed, etc). Primary use will be layer with the other for thick drones. This is what I'm working with currently:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/135529

I plan to add a Maths for more modulation options and some vcas in the near future.

Edit: I have 208hp worth of more racks on the way so I don't need some super cramped 2hp monstrosity or anything.

I love my TTA Z3000 MK2. Super stable, linear and expo fm, hard and soft sync, pwm, built in waveshaper for the sine a tri waves, beefy waves. Good stuff. It's a great meat-and-potatoes-with-a-little-hot-sauce analog osc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Scatterfold posted:

i've only had an evening to play around with it so far, and christ it's going to take a lot of learning - but, it does feel almost 'alive'; i don't think i've played any electronic instrument quite like it. I did this last night with the DPO, Phonogene (with a sample of birdsong I SOSed off of the Macauley Library) and the Echophon.

https://soundcloud.com/scatterfold/shared-system-test

Enjoy many fun and frustrating moments. Looking at the setup now I have the majority of a shared system (only major components I'm missing are Echophon and Phonogene, replace the Optomix with a RxMx) in my rig, and Make Noise makes some awesome and multi-dimensional stuff overall. The DPO alone is a puzzle, let alone everything else in there.

I can't say for sure it's very good for constructing songs, but it's always great as a musical version of a (very expensive) zen garden; you'll also get used to the fun of not wanting to unpatch things because it's sounding just right, or the pain of "It sounded so perfect, WHAT DID I CHANGE" and never finding it again. Just remember to let it go...