Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Mr. Fowl posted:

I would love to hear a song about the NGage.

It would be jus the verse "it's a thing that existed" over and over to the tune of give peace a chance. I don't eve think it had a notable game on it. at least the virtual boy had that robot boxing game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Cyron posted:

How is that weird? Playstation was huge in 1999/2000. If it was about the Ngage i can see how it's weird.
I've never heard of a song (from a non-internet band) that was just about listing off the big games on the PS2 or the XBOX 360. Then again, Eurodance, especially around that time, isn't a genre where the lyrics matter much.

Also, Eiffel 65's grasp of English wasn't very good.

quote:

We're gonna play the game the Playstation all day,
With Metal Gear Solid to Tekken 3.
And from Omega Boost to Resident Evil
Just play for the fun
Cos we got it going on.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 31, 2015

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Cyron posted:

at least the virtual boy had that robot boxing game.

And the greatest Wario game ever made.

Seriously, the only drat game that used the 3D well. I'm still pissed I lost my copy :(

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Clearly, the next 1 hit wonderland Todd does should be on Shaddup You Face
As an Australian, I feel embarrassed that that's one of our main cultural contributions to the world :smith:

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Feminist Frequency announced a new video out this week.

I expect the latest thread invasion to be as enlightening as the last one.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Honestly this is going to be a blast for me to see. I anticipate enough tears to fill the dead sea. And convoluted reasons why those characters don't count as good ones in the eyes of (conservative) gamers.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme

Rebochan posted:

Oh hey that's Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery, which is pretty neat. The Japanese port got Suda51 to do a voice.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Rebochan posted:

This interests me a lot more than her other videos have.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Cubey posted:

I think Anna's Song was as big/bigger of a hit from these guys, so they wouldn't count as a One Hit Wonder.

gently caress Anna's Song, for the record.

I'm going by just success on the American charts. Although Abuse Me hit number 4 apparently which is a surprise since I didn't think much of it. Also apparently Pure Massacre & Anthem for the year 2000 were top 20 on the Billboard mainstream rock charts.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Testekill posted:

I'm going by just success on the American charts. Although Abuse Me hit number 4 apparently which is a surprise since I didn't think much of it. Also apparently Pure Massacre & Anthem for the year 2000 were top 20 on the Billboard mainstream rock charts.

I live in America and seem to remember Anna's Song being played a whole lot on my local rock stations. Maybe the stations where I lived just really liked that song, or maybe I'm just misremembering because I hated that song so much v:shobon:v

Aside from that and Tomorrow, I have no recollection of a single other one of their songs.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Cubey posted:

This interests me a lot more than her other videos have.

Yeah, I'm quite interested in what characters she picks.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Watching the Bloodborne previously_rec stream and I don't think I agree with them that Bloodborne requires grinding to defeat bosses. I think it is set up in a way that you would be going through the same area multiple times because of unlocking shortcuts or looking for secrets and things you miss. You certainly could grind, for health potions and things like that, but I don't think it's required. Rich Evans even implied that you cannot master the game in the same way you could master the Xbox version of Ninja Gaiden. I don't think I agree with that. Aside from a few enemy types (those NPC hunters, gently caress those guys) every boss has patterns and attacks that leave opens, some smaller than others, that you can learn and get through with minimal damage.

Jack just comes off as someone who hates the game because he died but loves it when he's succeeding. The game has some problems but I don't think difficulty is one of them besides the mentioned hunter NPCs, who are too tough if you ask me (since they aren't limited to managing stamina and ammo like the player is).

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Most people streaming Bloodborne are very very bad at Bloodborne and souls games in general.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jimbot posted:

Watching the Bloodborne previously_rec stream and I don't think I agree with them that Bloodborne requires grinding to defeat bosses. I think it is set up in a way that you would be going through the same area multiple times because of unlocking shortcuts or looking for secrets and things you miss. You certainly could grind, for health potions and things like that, but I don't think it's required. Rich Evans even implied that you cannot master the game in the same way you could master the Xbox version of Ninja Gaiden. I don't think I agree with that. Aside from a few enemy types (those NPC hunters, gently caress those guys) every boss has patterns and attacks that leave opens, some smaller than others, that you can learn and get through with minimal damage.

Jack just comes off as someone who hates the game because he died but loves it when he's succeeding. The game has some problems but I don't think difficulty is one of them besides the mentioned hunter NPCs, who are too tough if you ask me (since they aren't limited to managing stamina and ammo like the player is).

It definitely does require grinding for health potions and bullets.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
A person not used to the Souls' series complaining about grind and difficulty and lack of handholding? Say it isn't so!

Jeez, this is like every complaint towards someone new to the Souls' series playing a Souls' game for the first time. And the second time. And all the time.

Besides, the previously_rec thing they have going on is their weakest content. Just guys who don't play video games as often as they watch movies ripping on new games.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Souls games discussion is always the worst derail.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

DStecks posted:

Souls games discussion is always the worst derail.

If there's one thing I ever learned, it's that you're always doing it wrong.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
http://channelawesome.com/pop-quiz-hotshot-pilot-episode/
Good lord how can they be this incompetent; this is the "improved" show too. :stare:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

achillesforever6 posted:

Good lord how can they be this incompetent; this is the "improved" show too. :stare:

Even the audio is atrocious, Brad has to be french kissing that mic or you cannot hear anything.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 31, 2015

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Poor Brad.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
This is like one of those local cable shows that serial killers run to get new victims.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I mean I can say this: I got a nice hit of nostalgia since I had that fishing game as a kid.

Also Phelan and Lupa are killing it on Twitter

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

achillesforever6 posted:

I get the distinct impression they did absolutely no research, didn't ask anybody in the industry for advice, and tried to get everything setup without actually thinking about how the end product would work.

I'm watching it right now and it's loving dreadful. Who the hell decided the premise of the show would be holding people hostage and threatening to kill them if they don't answer questions correctly?!? Like... how disconnected from the world do you have to be to think that would be a good idea? How would you even build a decent game show out of that?

EDIT: Also the questions are all over the place, with no rhythm or reason beyond "it's from the 80's/90's". Hey, guys, Jeopardy has categories for a reason...

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 31, 2015

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Jsor posted:

This is like one of those local cable shows that serial killers run to get new victims.

Maybe brad is secretly using footage for shot on shitieo by ripping the footage.

^^^holy poo poo I was just making a joke that brad was just pretending he is shooting a film of his due to the quality, I had no clue there is a hostage subplot.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 31, 2015

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

Looks exactly like the brainchild of a sociopath.

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
Aside from Brad, I feel bad for Tamara. "Miss Stockholm" are you kidding me?

And didn't Lupa say Michaud was the only one who wanted to do this? It shows.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I was confused to why they had brad the host. at first I thought it was going to be some Skype run game show, brad does love close but travaling from Springfield to Chicago is a hard drive to do every weekend. they could of had rob or anyone from "HQ" and you can still be ok. well as ok as this piece of poo poo can be.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeahhh...I think the smart people jumped ship from that mess just in time....

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

emeriin posted:

Aside from Brad, I feel bad for Tamara. "Miss Stockholm" are you kidding me?

And didn't Lupa say Michaud was the only one who wanted to do this? It shows.

Yes, this is the truth. Mike Michaud has literally had no successful idea.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
These microphones are the worst.

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
Also it was really obvious in the "Disney Lyrics" portion that Doug was getting answers wrong on purpose whenever the contestant didn't know.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
That wasn't even fun bad. That was just embarrassing.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

emeriin posted:

Also it was really obvious in the "Disney Lyrics" portion that Doug was getting answers wrong on purpose whenever the contestant didn't know.

I have a question, why is this game show rigged? I don't know mush about how game show works behind the scene but I think rigging a game show can lead to jail time and huge FCC fines for the network. I felt more genuine Competition watching WrestleMania last night then this show.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

I feel like at one point that was a scandal. Involving quiz shows.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Cyron posted:

I have a question, why is this game show rigged?

IIRC, Lupa stated why before. They had to reshoot it so many times and didn't change the questions.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

I don't know if the reused questions were done with the actual contestants (most of the first takes were their circle of friends in Chicago). The reason they rigged it in at least one instance was so Doug would lose to the contestant, except they mixed up the questions so they couldn't even do that right.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Some points:

- Brads pretty good, so they should give him more banter.
- The gimmick is so confuse, it should be explained. Why is there a general there? why go with the kidnapping angle at all?
- Why is the entire thing shot in shot/reverse shot? Can't we get one with both, candidates and host?
-The idea with the gimmick is pretty clever, reminds me of a party game. Should happen a lot more though, otherwise it's kinda pointless
- How about introducing your games before playing them?
- How about explaining why you play them?
- Where the hell did the White General came from?
- The handheld camera on during those games is awful!
- Okay, just two rounds of rapid fire question? That kinda dull.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, let's breakdown some of the very obvious things they've done wrong here.

- No introductions. Who the gently caress are your contestants, Max and John? I don't know, the show doesn't say, so gently caress'em. Personality? History? Aspirations? Job? Who cares! Let them answer questions and say nothing else!
- Piss poor intro, which happens after the first event? Why? You need to set poo poo up first. Theme song, host, contestants, point of the show, rules, how to win, gently caress that, cold open on a loving dollar store fishing game!!
- No audience. It's dead silence in there, no excitement or clapping or anything, just dead.
- No dividing up the questions. TV questions follow commercial questions follow toy questions follow video game questions follow gossip questions. There's no telling what the next question could be! So you better hope you know basically everything about the 90's!
- No actual "game" in this "game show". Hey, you ever notice how Jeopardy lets the contestants pick their questions? Or how Who Wants To Be A Millionaire not only

Hold the phone why is there a question about the Summer Olympics Bombing just kinda thrown in the pile?!?! After one about Captain Planet?! What the actual gently caress?

Anyway WWTBAM has multiple choice questions, but they also have options like polling the audience, phoning a friend, or just walking away with the money you've already won. See, it's not just questions/answers, there's an actual game involved, and it adds a lot to making the show more watchable when people can do more than just stand there and hit a buzzer. Which brings us to!
- No pacing. You ever watch The Price Is Right? Those guys are masters at pacing a game show. They get that there needs to be some tension going on to get that excitement happening. If things just went "right, wrong, wrong, right, wrong, right, right, winner!" then the audience is lost and bored. There needs to be that little pause after every question, that little "are you sure? Do you want to change your mind? Alright, and the actual retail price is..." to build up doubt, to get people thinking about what if they're wrong, or what if they're right!? That reminds me.
- No prizes. Seriously? $200, and we only know that at the end of the episode. Okay, no, tell us what the prize is first thing, like that's what's slotted in between introducing the contestants and telling us the rules. Those are literally the stakes for the entire show, you can't tell us what the stakes are after the show is over. This is not Ender's Game.

Just an aside I'm watching Price is Right right now and drat Drew Carrey slimmed down.

So yeah, this show is a loving disaster. Like drat, there is just no effort put into this. It's weird. You'd think, when they put in the effort to get a studio, they'd mic it right. When they put in the effort to build a set, they'd light it right. When they get people in to play their game, they'd have a game to play and not a loving paper maze.

Just to prove they have no loving clue what they're doing, I googled "game shows in Chicago" and found that you can literally hire a higher quality game show for your birthday party. They could have called any of these guys up and asked them for advice, and they didn't.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 1, 2015

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I got about five minutes in before I just felt bad for everybody and gave up.

Speaking of unpleasant, one thing still boggles my mind about Thunder in Paradise...

They made a CD-i game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Oh why must this exist? I feel like this is a ticking lawsuit waiting to happen.

• Locked thread