Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Smoking Crow posted:

I didn't know it wasn't out yet. Did it get pushed back?

It comes out on the 31st, any prior dates were retailer placeholders.

The new DLC in Lost Valley is the ability to buy and place walls and some decorative poo poo.

TLV is good if you prefer the older games to the modern ones, but it does have some wonky mechanics, particularly the animals being dumber than ever. I would say SoS is the better game at this point, due to its features, but it boils down to what you want out of a anime farming game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I enjoy TLV but it's very much the company's first Harvest Moon game, it's one of those 'this is good but I bet next one will be the really good one now that they got this poo poo worked out' things. Story of Seasons, on the other hand, is by the dudes who have been doing this since the start and by all accounts is a great refinement of HM as a series. So, with the standard caveat of 'it's all opinion get what you like' and all, SoS is probably gonna 'win' here pretty easily.

Also apparently the TV is more important in SoS, it gives lots of hot tips for how to get the most out of things, so be sure to be a huge goon and watch TV a bunch instead of doing work!

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I cut back the size of my farms in TLV and am enjoying it a lot more. I'm in the process of opening up fall, and this time I may actually get to see it before the season ends. Supposedly the next DLC will be larger in scale according to the interview they gave.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea the first two were little 'ok we agree customization was a little sparse here' things, next one up is the first proper one they had planned I think.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Amazon sent me a text that Story of Seasons will arrive tomorrow.

I have no interest in finishing Rune Factory 4. If anyone is interested in a trade, send me a PM.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I have my copy of SoS! The tutorial is only a week long, thankfully and it's not too bad at all. The character customization is pretty nifty, though they really cut down the skin tone options. I like that you can start on veteran or seedling mode (seedling mode cuts down a lot of the cost and grinding requirements).

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Making money is very hard at the beginning of the game when you can only ship, like, 3 times a week at best. But so far it's very pretty. Seems to flow better than everyday farming in ANB as well.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I read somewhere that SoS has poor frame rate. Is this true?

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Random question, but with SoS, so many of the villagers won't talk to you if they are working. How is everyone handling that? Like restaurant guy, I can't figure out how I want to handle my day to day run around to everyone schedule.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Smoking Crow posted:

I read somewhere that SoS has poor frame rate. Is this true?

There's one area that has some slowdown, but it's not any slower than ANB.

Shirec posted:

Random question, but with SoS, so many of the villagers won't talk to you if they are working. How is everyone handling that? Like restaurant guy, I can't figure out how I want to handle my day to day run around to everyone schedule.

I find that restaurant guy leaves his shop pretty often. idk because I'm waiting for the landscaper, but I think you can just wait until they're after hours.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Looks like not many people preordered because I just walked into Fry's today and they were giving away the bunny plush with the game. They also knocked off 2 bucks for some reason. Can't wait to try it out.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

hopeandjoy posted:

There's one area that has some slowdown, but it's not any slower than ANB.

I find that restaurant guy leaves his shop pretty often. idk because I'm waiting for the landscaper, but I think you can just wait until they're after hours.

Yeah, you can gift to them after hours.

The frame rate apparently hits 20-22 at lowest and some folks contacted the company re: the slowdown. I'm digging this so far and I can't wait to have me some bunnies and stuff.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
The bunny is super silly looking and owns.

e: I ordered the game literally at 2am yesterday and it was "while stocks last" so yeah i don't think too many people preordered.

here's a lovely phone photo because why not

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 1, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shirec posted:

You can just go around the back of their desks and talk to them, they won't say much beyond 'boy I like antiques you should buy some' or whatever but it counts for your 'talk to them to not be a dick' and you can give them a gift that way if you're short on time.

But yea they tend to wander plenty, basically any time they're not 'on duty' they're either walking around or chilling in their house and most everyone is on the same timeframe just with different days off.

Just finished the first Spring and game rules. Gonna kick this flower dude's rear end for beating me in the harvest festival, though. gently caress your cabbage man, some of us just got turnips and taters to work with. I bet you're using some fruity heirloom seeds and poo poo too, dick.

But yea, money's tight at first just because of how low sell day amounts are, I'm figuring as more people open up that'll be easier. Need to get that 40k for the seed maker. Also is there any easier way to get a TV than the blueprint Mistel sells? I need hot tips and junk but hosed if I can afford to get those fancy components.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
So am I supposed to run out of stamina so quickly? My HM "experience" is just Rune Factory but my first impression is that it would be nice to be able to do more than hit a rock a few times before I kill myself.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

SC Bracer posted:

So am I supposed to run out of stamina so quickly? My HM "experience" is just Rune Factory but my first impression is that it would be nice to be able to do more than hit a rock a few times before I kill myself.

Yeah, apparently enough people complained about the stamina thing that they made a patch to add Seedling mode into the game.

Do villagers spend as much time eating as they do in ANB? Because that was pretty annoying when you needed to speak with them.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

SC Bracer posted:

Harvest Moon games tend to give you low stamina early on, and part of the fun was working your way up into getting more stamina and/or figuring out how to manage it. No idea about Story of Seasons since I haven't picked it up yet, but you should probably just eat something. I assume in early game, you can just get something from the store or just eat random stuff from the ground. At some point you just cook your own stuff (probably eggs because chickens just keep dropping them). The older Harvest Moons had ways to increase your stamina bar, but I don't know about Story of Seasons.

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007
Been playing Story of Seasons, pretty decent so far. In the last quarter of Spring right now. I'll give you a small tip, save 5 milks when you can for an event with someone. I impregnated my cow so I'm a bit screwed on that for the moment.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
Also, save 5 turnip seeds. They're apparently needed for the seed maker?

I like how because Eda's art has her with closed/squinty eyes, she doesn't have a blinking animation, so she has an eyebrow animation instead. :3:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

So, how are the villagers in SoS?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

I spent a lot of my free tutorial time diving and got 5-6 or more of those gemstones then got lucky with the trader offering the primo rate for materials. The gems sell for over 3k a piece that way. Got enough money to get the chicken coop built right off the bat. That'll probably be the last time the RNG goes my way though.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

gmq posted:

So, how are the villagers in SoS?

Honestly, pretty boring so far. But I don't expect them to measure up to the Rune Factory wackos so they are fine for me. And I am only about halfway through spring so they could get better.

I am really enjoying the game. It has a lot of similarities to ANB but much improved. My biggest complaint is that my farm is so far away from town. Maybe that will change when I get a horse? I see those horse stands everywhere but right now they are useless.

Also in case anyone is curious, there are cutscenes in the marketplace, but they are nothing like the really long ones from ANB and are a lot easier to avoid anyway.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Are we sure there's no same sex relationship options in SoS? I've known this guy for like five seconds and we're already skinny dipping together.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Okay, SoS is neat so far. I've found four bachelorettes, and aside from a lack of iron holding back my farm development, things are going relatively well. Is diving the main way to gather iron, or will a mine open up at some point?

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
Siliconera has an interview with Yoshifumi Hashimoto up. They touch on the series transfer to XSEED and the future of Rune Factory, so it is not a bad little read. There is also a giveaway for a signed copy of SoS, if you have yet to buy a copy.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Oh man, a new RF would be so hype.

Also seedlings mode is much nicer about the whole unfit city slicker thing and I am glad I have time to relax on the farm now :v:

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

Trebuchet King posted:

Okay, SoS is neat so far. I've found four bachelorettes, and aside from a lack of iron holding back my farm development, things are going relatively well. Is diving the main way to gather iron, or will a mine open up at some point?

Apparently there's a mine in the safari (which opens up in fall).

The Silk Country merchant also sells iron.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

All I need to know is did they fix the unskippable cutscene issue ANB had? Having to time when I left the farm to not have to sit through those all the time got old fast.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

AngryRobotsInc posted:

All I need to know is did they fix the unskippable cutscene issue ANB had? Having to time when I left the farm to not have to sit through those all the time got old fast.

I've yet to see any cutscenes in town. Maybe the traders have a cutscene when they arrive in the trader's square area, but that's its own little zone anyway so the chances of you being there when they set up is low.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Fru Fru posted:

Also in case anyone is curious, there are cutscenes in the marketplace, but they are nothing like the really long ones from ANB and are a lot easier to avoid anyway.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Ah, missed that post. Good, good. I'll probably pick the game later this month, since I already know one of my birthday gifts is going to be an Amazon giftcard.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
In SoS, swimming in the river and diving for stuff seems really profitable. Found two topazes that sold for 3700 each, along with lots of fish and building materials like brick, glass, iron and copper. It also takes almost no stamina since I can dive in three rivers and get around 15 items in less than half a heart of stamina.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
Where's the drat pitchfork? The general store doesn't sell it. I don't think I saw it at the merchants. My drat cow's making GBS threads up the barn bigtime, and I'd really like to clean it up.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Just came in the mail and I'll get to it in an hour or so. Is there anything I make sure I save for later? So far I have "5 milk and 5 turnip seeds" listed.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Jimmybob posted:

Where's the drat pitchfork? The general store doesn't sell it. I don't think I saw it at the merchants. My drat cow's making GBS threads up the barn bigtime, and I'd really like to clean it up.

The starting out of town vendor sells the blueprints. It's 1500g for the plans and 5 iron (so 5k more gold or a lot of diving).

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

The starting out of town vendor sells the blueprints. It's 1500g for the plans and 5 iron (so 5k more gold or a lot of diving).

Thanks. Hope my topaz and a bunch of fish will cover it. I

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Is this game different enough from ANB that I should buy it? Is the art/festivals still kinda the same or are there improvements?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Maximusi posted:

Is this game different enough from ANB that I should buy it? Is the art/festivals still kinda the same or are there improvements?

I'd say it is. There's a bunch of quality of life stuff (no unskippable/can't be sped up cutscenes), tons more unlockables and the art is pretty

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007
Anyone know how long it takes for a cow to finally give birth? Been missing out on milk because I'm an idiot and got it pregnant. On the bright side it seems to happen for free(unless I wasn't paying attention.) I went ahead and bought another cow anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Zoo06 posted:

Anyone know how long it takes for a cow to finally give birth? Been missing out on milk because I'm an idiot and got it pregnant. On the bright side it seems to happen for free(unless I wasn't paying attention.) I went ahead and bought another cow anyway.

I have absolutely no idea, but since it took 20 days in ANB, I would hope it doesn't take more than a season. And I would not say you are an idiot. In ANB, I think there were things that unlocked based on how many animals were born on your farm and such. So you may have just gotten an early start.

Met posted:

Just came in the mail and I'll get to it in an hour or so. Is there anything I make sure I save for later? So far I have "5 milk and 5 turnip seeds" listed.

Save your bees for beekeeping. I don't know if you also need the honeycombs in this version. The book you get about beekeeping makes it sound like you only need to add bees, but I have not unlocked it yet to know for sure.

• Locked thread