Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Come on Nintendo

Nintendo, I love your games, but poo poo like this is insane.

They are so utterly backwards about these things. Like, with the youtube thing, I think it's lovely what they're doing but it's like fine, people make money off the ad revenue, so okay. But this is beyond ridiculous

How is this insane? Sure, the person who made it wasn't looking to make any money, but Nintendo still makes money from SM64 and the fan game ripped assets from Galaxy, straight-up. It's not like this was a fan-game with original level design and assets, which Nintendo tends to let fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Macaluso posted:

Come on Nintendo

They are so utterly backwards about these things. Like, with the youtube thing, I think it's lovely what they're doing but it's like fine, people make money off the ad revenue, so okay. But this is beyond ridiculous

Everyone always says this about every company that sends out cease and desists, but they have to. If you make no attempt to enforce your copyright, it can be used against you to have the copyright become public domain. They don't want to fight it anymore than anyone else, but it could lead to them no longer owning the rights to Mario.

Edit: it's the same reason Disney sends cease and desists to daycares that paint Mickey.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Come on Nintendo

It's not like they are doing this to everything, Project M and the Mother 4 fan project seem to be along fine :shrug:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It makes sense

and he was selling or promoting some paid Unity thing

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nobody cares about this poo poo

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

greatn posted:

I think there's either a surprise eShop game, surprise special virtual console game, or both because Nintendo Europe announces those on Monday and this week they conspicuously has no releases listed this week on Monday from Nintendo Europe so I think there's a surprise eShop game or special virtual console games or both because of that this week Nintendo Europe.

The surprise eShop release is Gunvolt.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Macaluso posted:

Come on Nintendo

They did it because it got too popular, too fast. That and the lovely "Hey play this brand new Mario 64 HD on your browser FOR FREE" headlines I mentioned before. gently caress, at least some gaming sites mentioned it was fan made some didn't even do that!

But yeah once something fan-made goes this viral and starts showing up on mainstream news sites I take it as a sign all bets are off at that point. The last high profile fan thing they had to shut I recall was that Full Screen Mario site that let you play a fully recreated Super Mario Bros. 1 whenever you wanted to on your browser as well as letting you make your own custom levels. That thing started getting pretty popular itself and started showing up on news sites everywhere before they put the kibosh on it.

We know now of course why they wouldn't want an open-source, free and fully functional "Mario Maker" for anyone with a web browser to be able to play around with.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Is a fan recreation of a level from a video game using a bunch of custom and/or ripped assets getting DMCA'd really that ridiculous? Really?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It also looked like poo poo so I'm glad of it.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Sade posted:

Is a fan recreation of a level from a video game using a bunch of custom and/or ripped assets getting DMCA'd really that ridiculous? Really?

People on the internet are stupid

I bet someone, somewhere is complaining that this is infringing on their free speech

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Congratulations Wii-U you have defeated the Xbox One, it's over.....the first casualty of the console war has happened.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

It also looked like poo poo so I'm glad of it.

Yeah I guess it's been a while since I played it but I'm pretty sure the N64 version looked much better than this outside of the stolen Galaxy assets

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

i'm trying to do my post-play surveys for the stack o' games I registered two sundays ago

waiting this late was an awful idea

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

deadwing posted:

i'm trying to do my post-play surveys for the stack o' games I registered two sundays ago

waiting this late was an awful idea

I gave up trying to get some last minute points when I found out the second set of Smash Bros. posters were sold out a few days ago.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What do you mean.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Help Im Alive posted:

Yeah I guess it's been a while since I played it but I'm pretty sure the N64 version looked much better than this outside of the stolen Galaxy assets

Well the textures there are too blown out. They have the 64 style of texture repeating properly set up, but those are not the equivalent textures.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

T Pose run animation best run animation

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I would play a SM 64 remake in the same style as the Live Action movie.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fremry posted:

Everyone always says this about every company that sends out cease and desists, but they have to. If you make no attempt to enforce your copyright, it can be used against you to have the copyright become public domain. They don't want to fight it anymore than anyone else, but it could lead to them no longer owning the rights to Mario.

Edit: it's the same reason Disney sends cease and desists to daycares that paint Mickey.

There's also always somebody who says this in response but swift and stern legal action is neither a legal requirement for defending your copyright nor is it exercised as thoroughly by many companies who manage to retain their copyrights. This dude making a tech demo doesn't threaten Nintendo's claim to the Mario name, but Nintendo made the decision to go whole hog whereas other companies mostly just spend their legal resources going after big offenders.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Fremry posted:

But, but, my vidya :qq:

Nerds are the most entitled people on the face of the erath

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i don't get why anyone cared about that thing in the first place, good job you recreated the first level of a video game in unity mostly using assets from another video game wowie

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

It looks charmless and boring.

Just like Super Mario 64, so good job I guess.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's what I care about: Devil's Third, and Duck Hunt amiibo support for anything and everything, including Devil's Third.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Why did Nintndo take this down? If you took this down... then make a new Mario 64 HD vers. dammit I know we got it for the DS in 2004, but I want an HD remake for the Wii U. Am I complaining too much? I don't think so one bit. I'm so drat tired of games with time-limits (Looking at you New Super Mario Bros and Super Mario 3D World) and linear Mario games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fremry posted:

The Winnie the Pooh daycare I went to when I was in preschool (i'm 30 now) is still around. :3:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

I thought the art assets looked super familiar. Something about the models reminded me of Galaxy or Sunshine.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/31/nintendo-takes-down-super-mario-64-hd-fan-project

Get owned, guy.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here's what I care about : Devil's Third, and Duck Hunt amiibo support for anything and everything, including Devil's Third.

Itagaki didn't even like the concept of achievements back when they were something new and fresh*, I don't know what he'd think about NFC figurines.

*Seriously DOA4 was one of the only games I remember that gave you 0 point achievements for doing poorly.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The game used stolen assets from other Mario games, and that was probably a big reason for the take down. Honestly it looked like poo poo anyways.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

holy moely you guys.... you're never going to believe the classic nintendo video game you can play in your INTERNET WEB BROWSER??????? https://mostplays.com/play/super-mario-brothers-1-1-10469

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

absolutely anything posted:

holy moely you guys.... you're never going to believe the classic nintendo video game you can play in your INTERNET WEB BROWSER??????? https://mostplays.com/play/super-mario-brothers-1-1-10469

Hang on, reaching out to Nintendo for comment

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Itagaki didn't even like the concept of achievements back when they were something new and fresh*, I don't know what he'd think about NFC figurines.

*Seriously DOA4 was one of the only games I remember that gave you 0 point achievements for doing poorly.

Itagaki's changed his opinion on lots of things, like sexually harassing his employees, and Tekken.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

Hang on, reaching out to Nintendo for comment

if they take it down i swear to god.... they will face my wrath.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

whitegorl has spoken, nintendo has no choice but to bring it back now.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I am surprised a company would DMCA something that was made up of ripped content from one of their games. Gosh Nintendo way to blow everything out proportion!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Narcissus1916 posted:

GIVE ME MARIO KART DLC.

I've been thinking of getting Mario Kart DLC, when you go online do you only get paired with other people who have the DLC and if so, is that a sufficient population?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

raditts posted:

I've been thinking of getting Mario Kart DLC, when you go online do you only get paired with other people who have the DLC and if so, is that a sufficient population?

yes, yes

I have never had an issue finding a game ever on global

the dlc is one of the best pieces of dlc ever, buy it

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

I said come in! posted:

The Winnie the Pooh daycare I went to when I was in preschool (i'm 30 now) is still around. :3:

They have to know about it. Basically, if you know that someone is using your copyright without permission or licensing, a claim can be made that it is public domain. It's basically used as evidence that the copyright has been abandoned. Your least serious action you can take to show that you have not abandoned the copyright is to send a cease and desist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Disney will never lose any of the copyrights they have. They pretty much control copyright law in the US.

• Locked thread