Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

CJacobs posted:

I hate this issue because it makes absolutely no goddamn sense so if anyone has an idea why it might be happening I'd love to hear it. Here are my system specs in case that matters.

What virus scanner do you have install? Any encrypted HDDs? Tried unplugging all devices?

How about video card drivers, up to date? Have you messed with any of the settings in the nVidia panel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

What virus scanner do you have install? Any encrypted HDDs? Tried unplugging all devices?

How about video card drivers, up to date? Have you messed with any of the settings in the nVidia panel?

My drivers are all up to date but maybe they hosed up installation somewhere. I'm doing a defrag on all my hard drives right now because some of them had gotten to the ~20% range because I am a bad PC owner; once that's done I'll run a virus scan on everything although my last one didn't catch anything. My nvidia control panel settings are all set to 'application-controlled'.

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

I'd start with reinstalling your sound drivers first, exorcizing demons from your tower second, and ritual sacrifice to appease said demons third.

I'll do this as soon as it's done defragging in 10 million years (posting from my laptop atm). Unfortunately when I tried to exorcise the demons from my PC it said I had to exorcise them as an administrator even though I am one so it's probably too late for that. Time to prepare the goat cadaver.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 1, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

WickedHate posted:

Pillars of Eternity has completely taken over my life.

I have nearly 20 hours played since it came out. I feel you there.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm several hours into a new character, blown through the first village, did a bunch of crap in the first city and surroundings and this voice in the back of my head is going...

"You know, this character is fun, but maybe you should re-roll."

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

rizuhbull posted:

Why isn't there a thread for This War of Mine? It's loving awesome and on sale. Go buy it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/282070/

Actually there's a thread right here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3682147

It's pretty far back though.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Whole lotta crossposting from you about this here game and it's got me interested! I played it a bit during the early alpha/beta and I didn't think much of it and it was pretty much dismissed in the thread that arose about it. Is it...good now? Or playable? It's kind of a crowded field now, with League and DOTA looming large and Smite as well, and Heroes of the Storm up and coming.

The simplest answer is that the game learned from its mistakes. It was a terrible Dominions clone and the characters were all weird alternate universe versions of the core Justice League. They've changed things around and there are lots of DC characters now (even Booster Gold is coming and Superdog!)

Remember how Marvel Heroes all of a sudden became good? Infinite Crisis is the same and I have no clue how they did it. They repurposed Dominion into this amazing 1 top, 2 bot, 2 junglers map, which is amazing.

Plus the chat words are too small for me to see, so I just pretend my teammates are bots. It's a feature not a bug :v:

The game is just so good and I'm completely surprised by that.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

SynthOrange posted:

I'm several hours into a new character, blown through the first village, did a bunch of crap in the first city and surroundings and this voice in the back of my head is going...

I have four characters at level 4+ and three more at level 3+.

I have a problem. :(

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Kyrosiris posted:

There's a difference between "I do not recognize this language" and misidentifying something not-Cyrillic as Russian. :v:

You'd have to be really loving dumb to look at Portuguese writing and think that it's Russian.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

CJacobs posted:

I'll do this as soon as it's done defragging in 10 million years (posting from my laptop atm). Unfortunately when I tried to exorcise the demons from my PC it said I had to exorcise them as an administrator even though I am one so it's probably too late for that. Time to prepare the goat cadaver.

Well played sir. AHCI controller weirdness is another avenue to explore, I've seen Z boards do some funky poo poo under load with too many SATA devices, a combination of devices it hates, or just hosed up drivers.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kyrosiris posted:

I have four characters at level 4+ and three more at level 3+.

I have a problem. :(

I only have the one in Trial of Iron, but there's just so much small side poo poo to do that he just recently reached fifth level. Everyone else is at about his level except for my rogue who died because, as I was told in the PoE thread, :xcom:

PSA, make sure your guests never reach 0 health! rip wes, lived fast, died of low con score

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I love that you can just blunder into stupid fights if you're not careful.

:supaburn:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

I love that you can just blunder into stupid fights if you're not careful.

:supaburn:

The bear is the best exemplar of this.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

On the way to the first town?

I heard somebody claim they'd beaten it as soon as it was accessible as a Monk.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Kyrosiris posted:

I have nearly 20 hours played since it came out. I feel you there.

I have 31 hours. Goddamn this is a great game.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

SynthOrange posted:

When I finally get the game I want to do a bear playthrough.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Hahah what's this, a bear in a cave, sure why notOH GOD IT HURTS

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Zereth posted:

On the way to the first town?

I heard somebody claim they'd beaten it as soon as it was accessible as a Monk.

Yeah, it's possible if you get real lucky but holy poo poo that thing will murder level 2 characters.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Oh hey, spore creatures/fampyres , thats not to ba- wait why is greiving mother dominated now her arbalest just ko'd durance gently caress

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

WickedHate posted:

I have 31 hours. Goddamn this is a great game.

At one point, while reading the souls of the backer created characters, I didn't like what I saw. Something about the npc hitting his child or wife. That unsuspecting son of a bitch had no idea my Cipher, Grieving Mother, does not take kindly to this behavior. So she detonated his soul and he exploded.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ragequit posted:

At one point, while reading the souls of the backer created characters, I didn't like what I saw. Something about the npc hitting his child or wife. That unsuspecting son of a bitch had no idea my Cipher, Grieving Mother, does not take kindly to this behavior. So she detonated his soul and he exploded.

This is a good way to play it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SynthOrange posted:

I gave in to the temptation myself :shepicide: Began Act 2 as a rogue, but I thought 'eh, I'll try a cipher' and holy poo poo class of the year.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Making people's souls explode seems a bit extreme tho. :v:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

CJacobs posted:

My drivers are all up to date but maybe they hosed up installation somewhere. I'm doing a defrag on all my hard drives right now because some of them had gotten to the ~20% range because I am a bad PC owner; once that's done I'll run a virus scan on everything although my last one didn't catch anything. My nvidia control panel settings are all set to 'application-controlled'.

Which virus scanner is really the important part. I've seen similar behavior on machines running McAfee or other similarly poo poo-tier scanners on bad/slow/encrypted hard drives and such.

Also might be too obvious but have you tried using Process Explorer or any similar software to check and see what process might be killing your performance?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I use malwarebytes and sometimes occasionally Avast but I don't really need them for day-to-day browsing so I just leave them off unless Malwarebytes is doing a scheduled scan. All of my internal hard drives run at 7200 rpm so they're not hurting for read/write speed or anything in case that could be a probable cause. I am starting to think it's probably a hardware issue though which makes me sad.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SynthOrange posted:

Making people's souls explode seems a bit extreme tho. :v:

Yes, yes it is :unsmigghh:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

I gave in to the temptation myself :shepicide: Began Act 2 as a rogue, but I thought 'eh, I'll try a cipher' and holy poo poo class of the year.

I dunno, once you start sneak attacking with an Arquebus/Blunderbuss/Arbalest, the absurd damage numbers might bring you back.

:fuckoff:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SynthOrange posted:

Hahah what's this, a bear in a cave, sure why notOH GOD IT HURTS
Brah I learned my lesson from getting half my party gibbed in Baldur's Gate 1 from the golden bear on the bridge: don't gently caress with Pooh.

Kyrosiris posted:

I dunno, once you start sneak attacking with an Arquebus/Blunderbuss/Arbalest, the absurd damage numbers might bring you back.
I love my shotgun saint Cipher. Stun/Mass Fear -> murder everything :black101:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 1, 2015

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The White Dragon posted:

Brah I learned my lesson from getting half my party gibbed in Baldur's Gate 1 from the golden bear on the bridge: don't gently caress with Pooh.

You know what I learnt from Baldur's Gate? You stay on the loving path until you don't have to heal after every fight.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ciphers sound like the worst people. Their power list includes:

Tenuous Grasp – Assails the target's grasp on reality, Frightening and Confusing them.
Fractured Volition – Violates an enemy's memories to bring vivid recollections of past failures to the surface, leaving the target Hobbled and Weakened.
Secret Horrors – Causes enemies in the area of effect believe their worst fears have been realized, Frightening and Sickening them for the duration.
Disintegration – Burns away the ethereal sinew that holds together the mind, body, and soul of the target enemy, causing it to rapidly take Raw damage. Targets that have their Stamina reduced to zero disintegrate into nonexistence.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Ragequit posted:

I love reading about the backer content in this game. The fact that people donated more money than some people earn in an entire paycheck just so they could include things like an intentionally lovely weapon or a poem about a guy killing himself after sleeping with a transwoman is just mind-boggling to me.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sleeveless posted:

poem about a guy killing himself after sleeping with a transwoman is just mind-boggling to me.

hahahahah seriously?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Sleeveless posted:

I love reading about the backer content in this game. The fact that people donated more money than some people earn in an entire paycheck just so they could include things like an intentionally lovely weapon or a poem about a guy killing himself after sleeping with a transwoman is just mind-boggling to me.

So figured out pretty quickly the "gold" guys were backers...but uh...what? :psyduck:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SynthOrange posted:

Ciphers sound like the worst people. Their power list includes:

Tenuous Grasp – Assails the target's grasp on reality, Frightening and Confusing them.
Fractured Volition – Violates an enemy's memories to bring vivid recollections of past failures to the surface, leaving the target Hobbled and Weakened.
Secret Horrors – Causes enemies in the area of effect believe their worst fears have been realized, Frightening and Sickening them for the duration.
Disintegration – Burns away the ethereal sinew that holds together the mind, body, and soul of the target enemy, causing it to rapidly take Raw damage. Targets that have their Stamina reduced to zero disintegrate into nonexistence.

Basically, a cipher player character can be Emma Frost.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

a guy killing himself after sleeping with a transwoman

Good.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

The Iron Rose posted:

hahahahah seriously?

Someone seriously added this to the game for $500, yes.

I believe there was talk of removing it in a future patch because it was now "in the game" and the demand was fulfilled.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Orv posted:

It is not, Tezzeract is a madman.

:agreed:

Drifter posted:

I'm suspicious that you're working for them or something.

Edit:

Also there's a giveaway for the steam 10$ and 30$ packs. Sign up and get a shot at winning some good stuff!

http://www.pcgamer.com/infinite-cri...veaway-key-win/

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 1, 2015

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Someone seriously added this to the game for $500, yes.

I believe there was talk of removing it in a future patch because it was now "in the game" and the demand was fulfilled.

Where is this? Also good they should remove it cause it sounds ridiculously out of place.

Also wealthy kickstarter backers are awful and the few backer souls I read seemed somewhat normal...is there really a bunch of crazy backer nonsense beneath the surface?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Is there a thread for The Spatials? I looked a few pages back, but didn't see anything.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Snuffman posted:

Where is this? Also good they should remove it cause it sounds ridiculously out of place.

Checking my logs: (Not my screenshot.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's horribly transphobic, but it does sound like the kind of limerick you'd find laying around somewhere. I'd be more tolerable of it if it was a drunken NPC background chatter or something, because I don't get upset at a show when a bad guy uses a slur or something, but that someone paid so much money just to put it in the game is awful and there's no excuse for it to be where it is.

• Locked thread