Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
who's out there pushing mongo as a good db choice? why do newbies keep insisting on using it? same goes for node.js which you're also using iirc

wherever you're getting your info is bad and you should stop listening to them/it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Necc0 posted:

who's out there pushing mongo as a good db choice? why do newbies keep insisting on using it? same goes for node.js which you're also using iirc

wherever you're getting your info is bad and you should stop listening to them/it

tutorials for all the new fancy webapp frameworks tell people to use it because you can just spin up mongodb insanely quick and squirt json into it like a filthy animal

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
real frameworks are boring and easy. node and mongo are new adventures each and every day!

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
chode.js

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
load.jizz

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

b0lt posted:

ℂ is isomorphic to ℝ^2

fixed with marvelous unicode

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
someone a ways back said mongodb = multiplayer notepad and that's the most concise and accurate explanation I've ever heard

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Bhodi posted:

someone a ways back said mongodb = multiplayer notepad and that's the most concise and accurate explanation I've ever heard

:eyepop:

DimpledChad
May 14, 2002
Rigging elections since '87.

Symbolic Butt posted:

fixed with marvelous unicode

ℂ ≅ ℝ²

i mean poo poo, might as well go the distance

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
what are the opinions here on groovy

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its good for scripting inside a long running java process

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i like it but i like plangs.

basically groovy is a plang on the jvm that's cool for scripting java stuff

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Awk : C :: Groovy : Java

though Groovy being able to call java can lead good/terrible things

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

pointless because scala exists

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

b0lt posted:

c : c++ :: java : scala

boo this man

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Brain Candy posted:

c : c++ :: java : scala

boo this man

yes and c is strictly worse than a subset of c++

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I think you mean better than

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
well we're reimplementing a (relatively) major system at my work as a service and we can really choose any unix friendly language we want but we all want static typing because everyone is sick of ruby so it's either like go or java.

i guess i'm wondering if it would be better to just stick with java but our lead is pretty excited about groovy. it looks kinda ideal tbh but i've never used java before. i'm fine with java the language i'm just kind of apprehensive about taking on the entire java tool chain and maven/gradle and so forth

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

c#

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

well we're reimplementing a (relatively) major system at my work as a service and we can really choose any unix friendly language we want but we all want static typing because everyone is sick of ruby so it's either like go or java.

i guess i'm wondering if it would be better to just stick with java but our lead is pretty excited about groovy. it looks kinda ideal tbh but i've never used java before. i'm fine with java the language i'm just kind of apprehensive about taking on the entire java tool chain and maven/gradle and so forth

you want java. go is deprecated. groovy is not a primary language to build ur stuff in tho. its fine for scripts that ur thing runs.

alternatively, use c#

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
don't use gradle. maven rules tho. god drat maven rules. I miss maven so much after spending time in c#

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
like maven is so good you'll be like why doesn't everything have maven and you'll never be able to use things again.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Shaggar posted:

you want java. go is deprecated. groovy is not a primary language to build ur stuff in tho. its fine for scripts that ur thing runs.

alternatively, use c#

shaggar. is correct.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Shaggar posted:

like maven is so good you'll be like why doesn't everything have maven and you'll never be able to use things again.

bobbilljim posted:

shaggar. is correct.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

if you are picking a new lang, what about an f-lang?

java is good and boring and comes with mittens to stop you from poking dangerous things until you get around to multi-threading and start waltzing on cliffs blindfolded

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

are there any books are team treehouse videos specifically on content discovery. as in the feature every social media app has where you can find, say, tweets that the computer thinks you might like.

i just need to make the dumbest proof of concept version of that and i'm wondering what other people are doing.

MeruFM posted:

this fits in the "it could be redundant" anti-philosophy of NoSQLOL database mongoDB.

If you want to be cute, you could instead of saving the article twice, create a list of subdocuments for each article and just save user relevant data there. ID, date_saved, etc... Then you can just search a single document instead of doing a mapreduce/collection search just to see how many people saved a single blog. I assume you're also saving the blog's URL or some kind of md5sum of the text that can be indexed for faster searching and to see when blog articles have updated. Then you can even have blog history and update existing users when a blog they saved was updated. WOW FANCY.

thank you i don't even know what subdocuments are, i will look it up

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Brain Candy posted:

java is good and boring and comes with mittens to stop you from poking dangerous things until you get around to multi-threading and start waltzing on cliffs blindfolded

Fortran, Forth or F#?

Java doesn't stop you from doing dangerous poo poo any more than any memory managed language tho??

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Java doesn't stop you from doing dangerous poo poo any more than any memory managed language tho??

i think it is impossible for a language to, through syntax, structure human creativity in such a way as to prevent people from conceiving of and executing incredibly stupid poo poo in said language.

this applies equally to all languages: spoken, computer, aetheric, sexual, universal, etc.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Fortran, Forth or F#?

languages don't kill people, people with languages kill people

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i mean if you're having a conversation with yourself about "what language should I use for this" then you're already so far up your own rear end in a top hat building bikesheds that you should seriously reevaluate your life choices

caveat: you're trying to implement some algorithm for shits and giggles that will serve no practical purpose

that aside, your language should be driven by the realistic final goal of whatever you want your application to do. there's options inside of that choice (I'm making a web app, which of five bad options do I want to choose) but even those are pretty easy to select from based on whatever your resources are

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

duTrieux. posted:

i think it is impossible for a language to, through syntax, structure human creativity in such a way as to prevent people from conceiving of and executing incredibly stupid poo poo in said language.

this applies equally to all languages: spoken, computer, aetheric, sexual, universal, etc.

it's not about stopping the stupid, it's about limiting the damage

guy steele was talking about adding operator overloading to java a jillion years ago and it never makes the cut despite coming up every five seconds because it never passed the "what is the worst a moronic user could do with it" test

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i was taking dangerous in the more memory management sense.

if we're talking about crawling up your own rear end then yeah java only lets you go so far.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

if we're talking about crawling up your own rear end then yeah java only lets you go so far.

it does guarantee that when you get up your rear end you'll have a ton of boilerplate with you

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
this is my boilerplate. there are many like it but this one is mine.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Brain Candy posted:

it's not about stopping the stupid, it's about limiting the damage

guy steele was talking about adding operator overloading to java a jillion years ago and it never makes the cut despite coming up every five seconds because it never passed the "what is the worst a moronic user could do with it" test

the "good" use case for operator overloading is a numerics library

the bad use cases are everything else. literally everything. "adding" strings makes no sense. only perl tried to make "multiplying" strings work.

you don't have to be stupid for operator overloading to be bad. it's bad for everyone, equally

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

java is statically typed, so the compiler has more opportunities to point out your dumbassery

it won't stop you, but at least it makes it less likely that you will accidentally do something dangerous

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Brain Candy posted:

we are coming from ruby and our thoughts are very much something like 'hey wouldn't it be nice if it were difficult to do dumb things with our code'

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

b0lt posted:

scala is bad, op

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you'll also want to use subversion instead of git or any other dvcs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006