Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Along the lines of very low-budget movies that came out around Clerks, scenes set in convenience stores, there is this one...
Darkness: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106669/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJq49c8cMRI Maybe NSFW due to gore

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

That always seemed like something you would really have to go out of your way to not learn. How do you go decades making movies and not even accidentally pick up that stuff along the way? With anyone else I would just assume that it was a joke, but I absolutely believe it given the quality of Smith's films.

I picked up what lenses are what size over the course of making two shorts at film school, as a directing student who never once used a camera myself because I am very much not into the technical side of things. You really do have to purposefully not learn poo poo like that and how lighting works, because you just kind of pick it up by being around it.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I wonder if Smith could get Affleck to be in one of his films anymore

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Affleck probably has the uncomfortable feeling of having outgrown his friend.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I like to think Affleck got into directing because after working with Smith he thought, how hard could it be?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TheJoker138 posted:

I picked up what lenses are what size over the course of making two shorts at film school, as a directing student who never once used a camera myself because I am very much not into the technical side of things. You really do have to purposefully not learn poo poo like that and how lighting works, because you just kind of pick it up by being around it.

That's what happens when you skip class all the time or drop out halfway through school; you miss out on that kind of poo poo.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Clearly i have lower standards in film than you all. Keep the actors in the shot, throw some light on them, keep the mic out, and whatever i dont care about anything else. If i cared this much about quality i couldnt watch many old films. The worst Kevin smith film walks all over "Dawn of the dead", for instance as far as lighting and shooting quality goes.

I want to quote this on the new page because it's really, really funny

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
*forums user MattD1zzl3 watches 2001: A Space Odyssey and an episode of the 90's sitcom Wings back-to-back*

I couldn't tell where one ended and the other began! :downs:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Snowman_McK posted:

Affleck probably has the uncomfortable feeling of having outgrown his friend.

The reference to that in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back was a pretty decent joke.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Star Man posted:

That's what happens when you skip class all the time or drop out halfway through school; you miss out on that kind of poo poo.

But the schools wanted to teach him things like narrative themes, he just wants to use the camera to make Star Wars and Batman references.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I wonder if Smith could get Affleck to be in one of his films anymore

Smith basically admitted that they don't really talk. They're on friendly terms but they're not friends.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
He's fat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of8kY_IbYq4

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Wolfsheim posted:

*forums user MattD1zzl3 watches 2001: A Space Odyssey and an episode of the 90's sitcom Wings back-to-back*

I couldn't tell where one ended and the other began! :downs:

Seriously? I say a low budget horror movie vs a much lower budget comedy and you tell me i can't tell the difference between kubrick and something SHOT ON VIDEO!?

:) It made me spit coffee all over myself. I doubly lose.

edit: do you guys think those goofy 70s zombie movies are well-executed classics :psyduck:

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Apr 1, 2015

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

edit: do you guys think those goofy 70s zombie movies are well-executed classics :psyduck:

yes, idiot

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

one example of a dope shot from Dawn of the Dead that is better looking than any one shot in Kevin Smith's career

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

gee guys i know Dawn of the Dead is pretty much universally considered a classic, but do you really think it's better than Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

Smith basically admitted that they don't really talk. They're on friendly terms but they're not friends.

I'm not sure how friendly the terms are.
http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/kevin-smith-jennifer-garner-ended-my-friendship-with-ben-affleck--2014307

Link is just a quick google search with Smith probably exaggerating things as usual.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Ah, you're trolling. Got it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The funny thing is that MattDoesn'tHaveTaste has actually managed to rope boogey into the much easier debate over 'whether or not George A. Romero is a better director and popular/conceptual artist than Kevin Smith.' This is small pickings when one can watch Chasing Amy and Plan 9 from Outer Space back-to-back and figure out that not only does Ed Wood's movie function as superior comedy, but he has a much better command of the 'theatrical' than Smith.

edit: Not an April Fools post.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

The funny thing is that MattDoesn'tHaveTaste has actually managed to rope boogey into the much easier debate over 'whether or not George A. Romero is a better director and popular/conceptual artist than Kevin Smith.' This is small pickings when one can watch Chasing Amy and Plan 9 from Outer Space back-to-back and figure out that not only does Ed Wood's movie function as superior comedy, but he has a much better command of the 'theatrical' than Smith.

edit: Not an April Fools post.

the former is a much more fun conversation than the latter

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Star Man posted:

Because I majored in directing we didn't even get taught that poo poo in class. We might have spent like, a day on it, but that's it, as the class was mostly about working with actors, managing your set, etc. But just working on things I picked it up. It's really not a hard thing to learn either. You have to be willfully ignorant or the most absent minded person in the world to not figure it out after one or two films.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

TheJoker138 posted:

Because I majored in directing we didn't even get taught that poo poo in class.

What clown college did you go to?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
So why does he only wear custom hockey jerseys that say "fat man" on it now? He isn't that big of a dude, and could still look decent with some clothes that actually fit him.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Firstborn posted:

So why does he only wear custom hockey jerseys that say "fat man" on it now? He isn't that big of a dude, and could still look decent with some clothes that actually fit him.

It's his image/brand, plus his way of getting around any snarky comments about his weight. "See, you can't make fun of me for being fat, because I'm already calling myself fat."

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I also think thats what he wears in "public" to create a big image so he can throw on a normal hoodie and maybe sneak into public without getting noticed.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He seems to have very low self-esteem.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

Ah, you're trolling. Got it.

How on Earth is that trolling? There's a lot of rose-tinted glasses with regards to those movies: they were made cheap, look it (and haven't aged very well), and are mostly praised for their cultural impact of being the Zombie Codifier more than anything else.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MisterBibs posted:

How on Earth is that trolling? There's a lot of rose-tinted glasses with regards to those movies: they were made cheap, look it (and haven't aged very well), and are mostly praised for their cultural impact of being the Zombie Codifier more than anything else.

There is plenty to praise about those movies, to not notice that is being willfully ignorant.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There is plenty to praise about those movies, to not notice that is being willfully ignorant.

I'm not denying that there's things to praise in them - there's things to praise in any movie - but to claim that they were something greater than low-budget schlock horror is extremely disingenuous.

How could a movie like Night Of The Living Dead be covered by Rifftrax? A better question is how could it not be?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MisterBibs posted:

I'm not denying that there's things to praise in them - there's things to praise in any movie - but to claim that they were something greater than low-budget schlock horror is extremely disingenuous.

How could a movie like Night Of The Living Dead be covered by Rifftrax? A better question is how could it not be?

I think it would be extremely disingenuous to claim otherwise, as the only argument against is that it's low budget schlock horror.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

You have to understand that there was tons of low-budget schlock made in that era (and in this era for that matter) and Dawn of the Dead was a cut above the rest. Obviously due to the budget and actor quality it is not a cinematic masterpiece that is going to be studied in film school but it was a high quality film despite its budget.

To say that any of Smith's films "walked all over it" is laughable as hell. Obviously since Smith was working with more advanced technology there are certain aspects of the film that are higher quality, like sound and picture. But you might as well praise him since all of his films have sound and most of them have color, so they are way better than anything released in the early 1900s.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Guy A. Person posted:

You have to understand that there was tons of low-budget schlock made in that era (and in this era for that matter) and Dawn of the Dead was a cut above the rest.

What I don't get is how low budget becomes a strike against a great film, but a non-issue in Smith's films themselves.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

NeuroticErotica posted:

What clown college did you go to?

We went over it in previous classes, but in the directing specific ones we spent maybe a day. Like I said, directing was much more about working with actors and how to run a set than it was technical things.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Guy A. Person posted:

You have to understand that there was tons of low-budget schlock made in that era (and in this era for that matter) and Dawn of the Dead was a cut above the rest. Obviously due to the budget and actor quality it is not a cinematic masterpiece that is going to be studied in film school but it was a high quality film despite its budget.

See, that's where I disagree. I've seen Dawn Of The Dead a bunch of times, and I've seen other low-budget films in the same broad genre from that era and beyond. I dig them all, but I can't find myself putting any of them on a higher pedestal than another.It's all the same low-budget schlock that I'm not walking away from Intellectually Stimulated, one way or another. I don't care if your burger is from McDonalds or Burger King, it's still a cheap fast-food burger.

Guy A. Person posted:

To say that any of Smith's films "walked all over it" is laughable as hell.

The weird thing about the comparison, for me, is that Smith hasn't ever made a zombie film, so for me such a comparison is apples-to-oranges.

fake edit: holy gently caress I thought this was in the General thread. sorry for the derail.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

See, that's where I disagree. I've seen Dawn Of The Dead a bunch of times, and I've seen other low-budget films in the same broad genre from that era and beyond. I dig them all, but I can't find myself putting any of them on a higher pedestal than another.It's all the same low-budget schlock that I'm not walking away from Intellectually Stimulated, one way or another. I don't care if your burger is from McDonalds or Burger King, it's still a cheap fast-food burger.

watch movies better

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MisterBibs posted:

This is what leads to becoming a Kevin Smith fan; not knowing the difference.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

if you genuinely can't tell what sets apart Dawn of the Dead from any other horror film of its vintage, it's worth giving Ebert's review a read. educate yourself.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Even if you find it trite, or whatever, the filmmaking in Dawn and what Romero does with its small budget is astonishing.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Even if you find it trite, or whatever, the filmmaking in Dawn and what Romero does with its small budget is astonishing.

I watched it for the first time a few months ago, and figured it had at least a budget of a few million dollars.

That it only had a budget of $650, 000 is absolutely insane. Like holy crap, I almost don't believe it.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Dawn of The Dead is like a lot of classics in that not enough people bring up how funny it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

http://www.rifftrax.com/casablanca

• Locked thread