Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

yeah and sockets are actually designed for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Bloody posted:

a couple pieces of bendy metal press themselves against a shaft of metal

go on im almost there

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

As a Millennial I posted:

yeah and sockets are actually designed for that

indeed screws are known for being fragile

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

sorry guys i think you're just really reaching on making GBS threads on this kickstarter. yeah its dumb, it doesnt work in plenty of situations, and it's gotten a fair bit of funding, but remember. solar roads. star citizen.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
1 amp is pretty worthless

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

it's not the screws anybody is worried about

i've got enough usb adapters to last a lifetime at this point anyway

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

star citizen hasn't burnt down anybody's house yet, though it might have driven a few people into foreclosure

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/598954186/ac-cpu-inc-active-cpu-cooling-with-refridgerant?ref=category

now this is some laffs

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

500 dollars for some poo poo some kids build in a garage when ocz was selling the same thing for 200 a decade ago

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1473132493/apple-watch-charging-station?ref=category

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

that poo poo is ugly af

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

people still overclock?

why?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

im the round indentation for a square watch

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Boxturret posted:

how else do you cut a slot into wood? he has a drill, therefore is a pro woodworker

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

About Rocco

Rocco is a happy baby. His birthday is December 10, 2014. That means I have about 18 years to get that first tuition payment ready. So far he is indifferent about college and woodworking, but as a three month old, I think we should all give him some time to come around.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Vicas posted:

About Rocco

Rocco is a happy baby. His birthday is December 10, 2014. That means I have about 18 years to get that first tuition payment ready. So far he is indifferent about college and woodworking, but as a three month old, I think we should all give him some time to come around.

at least it's not bitcoin :unsmith:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Mido posted:

at least it's not bitcoin :unsmith:

"I got all this money for his college fund, but bitcoin can only go up... He could have money to go to 200 colleges"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Boxturret posted:

it's for the round charging cable

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

theflyingexecutive posted:

it's for the round charging cable

i'd never seen that before

wow that is one large charging thingy :pwn:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

As a Millennial I posted:

it's not the screws anybody is worried about

i've got enough usb adapters to last a lifetime at this point anyway

wait why don't they just have eyelets for the screws

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

hobbesmaster posted:

wait why don't they just have eyelets for the screws

Ease of installation. screws are dangerous you know

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
My favorite part is how you just jam it in there and hope for the best, without blowing anything up.

the idea is fine but it's kickstarter so of course we will poo poo on it

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
wait so the screws on american outlets are live? that's... weird.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

not the screw to attach the cover to the sockets, mind you, or any other screw that attaches the sockets or cover to anything else.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

goddamnedtwisto posted:

they are metal screws that hold in the metal wires that provide electricity to the socket, and in america metal can conduct electricity

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
oh, okay - the blurb seemed to suggest that this actually snapped over an existing faceplate, not that it replaced it, and people talking about it getting power from the screws made me think that the ones holding the faceplate were live for some stupid reason.

so followup question - are american electrical outlets really standardised enough that this will just work everywhere, or does your house have to have been built in one particular month using stuff from one particular supplier for this to work?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

oh, okay - the blurb seemed to suggest that this actually snapped over an existing faceplate, not that it replaced it, and people talking about it getting power from the screws made me think that the ones holding the faceplate were live for some stupid reason.

so followup question - are american electrical outlets really standardised enough that this will just work everywhere, or does your house have to have been built in one particular month using stuff from one particular supplier for this to work?

they're pretty standardized

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

hahhahaha that's giong to start fires when it shorts the contacts against old metal outlet boxes

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

wtf kind of shithole do you live in where the standard form factorchanges on a monthly basis

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

they actually managed to get this poo poo past ul once

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
see night light outlet above, a previous kickstarter by that dude

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

also it wont work on gcfi outlets which is hilarious given that they show kitchens and bathrooms

gcfi outlets will pop a circuit breaker and stop current flow if somehow the outlet is shorted to ground

like if the connected device is exposed to water

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ayn rand hand job posted:

wtf kind of shithole do you live in where the standard form factorchanges on a monthly basis

the form factor of the plug is constant, obviously (considerably moreso than the US because I've seen at least two different types - presumably unearthed and earthed - just in that advert) but the shape and size of the socket (other than the bits you actually plug into) can be all kinds of different shapes depending on application

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

yeah and I want to say I've used an outlet at some point that didn't even have screws, it just had a hole you put a bare non-stranded supply wire into and it would lock it in place with no metal bits exposed

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

minivanmegafun posted:

yeah and I want to say I've used an outlet at some point that didn't even have screws, it just had a hole you put a bare non-stranded supply wire into and it would lock it in place with no metal bits exposed

I have a few of those but they also had the screws on the side as a fallback

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Bloody posted:

500 dollars for some poo poo some kids build in a garage when ocz was selling the same thing for 200 a decade ago

quote:

In extreme mode, all bets are off and the user will have the full use of the compressor at their disposal. This mode offers the user a temperature down to -24C/-11F, and will definitely freeze water out of the air. We would like to develop a small vacuum sealed container for the heat sink for use in this mode. The container will slide over the device, and then the user will use a cheap ($10) hand vacuum pump to remove the air so that condensation can't form

isn't heat dissipation in a vacuum loving awful

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

uncurable mlady posted:

1 amp is pretty worthless

most chargers are 2.1-2.4 amps these days, 1 amp will literally not charge an iPad and will take an exceedingly long time to charge an iPhone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

MrMoo posted:

most chargers are 2.1-2.4 amps these days, 1 amp will literally not charge an iPad and will take an exceedingly long time to charge an iPhone.

im rly pissed because i bought some power supplies on amazon that said they were rated for 2 amps but were actually 1 amp :mad:

• Locked thread