Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

shalnark posted:

I'm looking for an android tablet, to browse / read and possibly game with . I'm looking for something top end, money is not a problem .
There aren't any good ones but the best ones right now are probably the Nvidia Shield and the Venue 8 7000.

Now that they've made a Nexus 6 and 9 there's probably little chance of getting a new 7 or 8. Apparently the only great Android tablet (2013 Nexus 7) was a fluke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Citizen Tayne posted:

There are plenty of comic book and anime apps available for IOS.

Reinforcing my point, the only thing you can think to bring up as a benefit is things that are useless.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Talking about the same tablet - Acer A1-810 f

Android version 4.2.2

Core version 3.4.5

I solved my previous issues by not being stupid. There are two problems I'm still dealing with:

1. Every few hours (in the middle of the night or whatever) the tablet lets out a loud pulsing tone. It's turned off at the time, and I have no idea how to describe the problem in a way that google understands, and therefore no way to figure out what it's indicating and what menu to turn it off in. Very annoying. Help?

2. I noticed that some tablets / phones can function as their own wifi spot / modem (or whatever the technical term is here). Can this tablet do that, and if so, how?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Xander77 posted:

1. Every few hours (in the middle of the night or whatever) the tablet lets out a loud pulsing tone. It's turned off at the time, and I have no idea how to describe the problem in a way that google understands, and therefore no way to figure out what it's indicating and what menu to turn it off in. Very annoying. Help?
Fully charged notification tone? That's not present in stock Android but I know Samsung had added it to their products at some point to prevent their customers from sleeping. Maybe Acer has similar contempt for their customers?

Xander77 posted:

2. I noticed that some tablets / phones can function as their own wifi spot / modem (or whatever the technical term is here). Can this tablet do that, and if so, how?
If it doesn't have a cellular connection, how could it possibly do that? If it does have a cellular connection, then the carrier has to allow it and you have to pay for it. Are you paying for it?

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

LastInLine posted:

If it doesn't have a cellular connection, how could it possibly do that? If it does have a cellular connection, then the carrier has to allow it and you have to pay for it. Are you paying for it?

My old HTC Sensation had a function that let you share the wifi connection you were using and I've yet to find an app that replicates this function anywhere and my god I miss it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Shannow posted:

My old HTC Sensation had a function that let you share the wifi connection you were using and I've yet to find an app that replicates this function anywhere and my god I miss it.

Share it how?

The stock USB and Bluetooth tethering methods will share a WiFi connection.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shannow posted:

Maybe I'm retarded but if the tablet could connect to wifi what's stopping the devices you're sharing with to simply use that wifi connection without involving the tablet?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Portable hot-spot? If it's not in the options menu your carrier has probably disabled it.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

LastInLine posted:

Maybe I'm retarded but if the tablet could connect to wifi what's stopping the devices you're sharing with to simply use that wifi connection without involving the tablet?

Most often I used it for extending a signal, or popping a couple devices on if in a coffee shop for example I'd connect my phone to the wifi and have my laptop connect to it automatically without having to add pop in the password/jump through whatever login hoops such connections usually entail. Especially handy when me and the gf were staying in a hotel that charged for their wifi and only allowed one device per voucher.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Shannow posted:

Most often I used it for extending a signal, or popping a couple devices on if in a coffee shop for example I'd connect my phone to the wifi and have my laptop connect to it automatically without having to add pop in the password/jump through whatever login hoops such connections usually entail. Especially handy when me and the gf were staying in a hotel that charged for their wifi and only allowed one device per voucher.

You would need two network adapters to accomplish this essentially turning your tablet into a bridge.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
No Bluetooth tethering option?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Usually when you talk about using your phone or tablet as a Wi-Fi hotspot, you can connect it to another Wi-Fi network. This would require a second Wi-Fi module to be out in the device.

You can share your Wi-Fi connection through USB or Bluetooth, but not Wi-Fi.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
My old nexus 7 is showing me that 5.0.2 is available which I have been putting off for ages, will it not show me 5.1 unless I install 5.0.2 first?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

track day bro! posted:

My old nexus 7 is showing me that 5.0.2 is available which I have been putting off for ages, will it not show me 5.1 unless I install 5.0.2 first?
I'm pretty sure there is no 4.4 -> 5.1 OTA available so it would make sense that you need to do them in turn. Be aware that 5.1 may still be on a phased rollout and so may not appear immediately.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Tunga posted:

I'm pretty sure there is no 4.4 -> 5.1 OTA available so it would make sense that you need to do them in turn. Be aware that 5.1 may still be on a phased rollout and so may not appear immediately.

Makes sense, i'm kinda tempted to wipe the whole thing and flash the factory image but :effort:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

track day bro! posted:

Makes sense, i'm kinda tempted to wipe the whole thing and flash the factory image but :effort:
You could also just manually flash the OTA if it doesn't show up.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

track day bro! posted:

If you're already on an unlocked bootloader you can EDIT: Actually there's more than one place that kills user data in the factory image script, so maybe flash each part to the device manually.

If you haven't unlocked your bootloader then you can probably dig up an OTA chain somewhere.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
Another quick note that Motorola support is awesome. My 2013 Moto X Developer edition bought less than a year ago has been getting worse and worse battery life/ability to charge/call strength/data strength and I was getting close to looking for something new. I went to the Motorola support site, put in a repair request and they offered a cross ship with a replacement device hopefully I get a new device to replace this one that's acting up.

It's a little sad that phones don't last for a year (I guess I'm really rough, I've never broken a screen but all of my phones get worse signal as time goes on), but hopefully what Motorola sends me will work well. I guess maybe I should use a case this time.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

There's still no 5.1 for the 2013 Nexus 7, right?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

kitten smoothie posted:

There's still no 5.1 for the 2013 Nexus 7, right?
Right. :mad:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

It is a newer model than my Nexus 10, which has been running 5.1 for some time already. What gives?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Stick100 posted:

Another quick note that Motorola support is awesome. My 2013 Moto X Developer edition bought less than a year ago has been getting worse and worse battery life/ability to charge/call strength/data strength and I was getting close to looking for something new. I went to the Motorola support site, put in a repair request and they offered a cross ship with a replacement device hopefully I get a new device to replace this one that's acting up.

It's a little sad that phones don't last for a year (I guess I'm really rough, I've never broken a screen but all of my phones get worse signal as time goes on), but hopefully what Motorola sends me will work well. I guess maybe I should use a case this time.

That is not a tablet!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ihmemies posted:

It is a newer model than my Nexus 10, which has been running 5.1 for some time already. What gives?

No one really knows. The N9 and N4 haven't been updated yet either. It could be binary blobs, it could be device specific quirks that they are working out. It's hard to say.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
is $325 a good price for a nexus 9 16gb from a retailer?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No amount of money is a good price for a Nexus 9.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Seamonster posted:

is $325 a good price for a nexus 9 16gb from a retailer?

I got a 32 gig for $279 (Best Buy open box after Christmas) and couldn't offload it fast enough.

It's not a good product.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Endless Mike posted:

No amount of money is a good price for a Nexus 9.

Nexus 7 (2013) for life.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm actually really warming to the Tab S 8.4. I can't believe I'm contemplating a Samsung product, but there it is. The screen is beautiful and it's very thin and light.

Looks like that model came out in June of last year, so it might be due for a refresh soon. Given the good buzz around the S6, it might be a really nice refresh.

Even beyond the performance issues with the N9, 4:3 at 9" just isn't for me. I want a 16:9 or 16:10 tablet again at a slight smaller size.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

It's up there in the top 3. Samsung will be releasing 4:3 tablets soon so no reason not to get it if that's holding you back.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
If the tab 8.4 was in my price range, I would probably give up my N7 2013 for it. Even though I hate Samsung's home button, that screen is glorious.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If the tab 8.4 was in my price range, I would probably give up my N7 2013 for it. Even though I hate Samsung's home button, that screen is glorious.
As much as I like my Tab S, the fixed home/back/window buttons are pretty obnoxious.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

bull3964 posted:

I'm actually really warming to the Tab S 8.4. I can't believe I'm contemplating a Samsung product, but there it is. The screen is beautiful and it's very thin and light.

Looks like that model came out in June of last year, so it might be due for a refresh soon. Given the good buzz around the S6, it might be a really nice refresh.

Even beyond the performance issues with the N9, 4:3 at 9" just isn't for me. I want a 16:9 or 16:10 tablet again at a slight smaller size.

Got the wife one for Christmas and she adores it. Then all she does on it is play Hay day.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
How laughable is having a Nook HD as my Android tablet?

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Recently got a Tab S 10.5. Love everything about it except for the fact that you can't play XCOM on it. Seriously thinking about taking it back just for that, because it's my favorite tablet game.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

monster on a stick posted:

How laughable is having a Nook HD as my Android tablet?

Nook HD+ is mine. It's slow and running buggy CM, but it browses for the forums, the web, plays moves and reads ebooks just fine. I paid $100 for it two years ago.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Same, it's still going strong and my N7 2012 can't decide if it wants to sorta work or just die.

Bhm
Apr 18, 2002

"I died a mineral, and became a plant. I died a plant and rose an animal. I died an animal and I was man. Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?"
I've had the nvidia shield tablet for two months now and all I can say is that I love the gently caress out of it. It's fantastic in every way except for the power button but you learn to live with it.

It's been with me on like 12 flights so far and it's provided me with ample entertainment. I simply adore it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Nook HD+ is mine. It's slow and running buggy CM, but it browses for the forums, the web, plays moves and reads ebooks just fine. I paid $100 for it two years ago.

Mine is still stock, is it worth installing CM? I do mainly use it for books, and I thought that the BN version of Android had better battery life.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

nmfree posted:

As much as I like my Tab S, the fixed home/back/window buttons are pretty obnoxious.

Same here, I had to use xposed to reverse the recent apps / back button to match the tab. Such a good device but just enough Samsung crap to make it a no go for a lot of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Bhm posted:

I've had the nvidia shield tablet for two months now and all I can say is that I love the gently caress out of it. It's fantastic in every way except for the power button but you learn to live with it.

It's been with me on like 12 flights so far and it's provided me with ample entertainment. I simply adore it.

I've been sitting here all morning debating that and the Nexus 9, and I can't get the Shield Tablet locally. And now there's not time to get it here before the flight I'm supposed to be taking on Monday. :(

Edit: I think I'm just going to suck it up and deal with phone only. Nexus 9 is only even a consideration because it's on sale this weekend at Best Buy.

G-Prime fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 4, 2015