Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I love the idea of 200 dollars being a good game show prize. Shows that pay cash pay big cash because, ya know, people want big cash. Why not make it a cool thing worth about that? People are more forgiving about cheap prizes if the prize is a cool thing.

Like yea no poo poo anyone would love to get 200 bucks but game shows are all about big stakes. Ya know...making it into a game.

But yea, everyone already said what I would, horrible pacing, dead room with no audience (seriously the gimmick is actually pretty solid, go full on 'he's like a lovely Jigsaw' and have him have a boombox with canned reactions on it for some lackey to play. We don't need an actual live audience we just want it to sound alive, fold the joke in and keep the theme), zero interaction with the contestants just feels weird. We don't want to hear about their life stories but it's just really stuff and offputting to be all "THIS IS MAX MAX HERE IS A QUESTION YOU ARE RIGHT MAX YOU WIN GOODBYE". You can still play up the weird kidnapping bit there too, ask them normal game show get to know you things and sprinkle in random very personal/weird questions or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
:psyduck:

90 thousand dollars.

NINETY. THOUSAND.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I actually feel really bad for Brad, Tamara and Malcom watching this.

There's a lot of potenial in the idea of an Internet gameshow, especially with Brad hosting, but this is awful. Why are the contestants not introduced? Why is Tamara doing a really unfunny skit? Why is there no real structure to the rounds or questions? Why is the editing so bad? Why aren't there any sound effects to get the feel of a game show? Why is it 30 mintues long?!

Brad hosting a game show should be gold, but this is just incompetant. It's just Brad reading out cards in an empty silent room, and just feels bad. At least I laughed at a few of Brad's zingers, I guess?

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

OldMemes posted:

There's a lot of potenial in the idea of an Internet gameshow, especially with Brad hosting, but this is awful. Why are the contestants not introduced? Why is Tamara doing a really unfunny skit? Why is there no real structure to the rounds or questions? Why is the editing so bad? Why aren't there any sound effects to get the feel of a game show? Why is it 30 mintues long?!

Brad hosting a game show should be gold, but this is just incompetant. It's just Brad reading out cards in an empty silent room, and just feels bad. At least I laughed at a few of Brad's zingers, I guess?

I hope brad taken a page from the good book and nic cage his way though the filming of this.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Yeah I bet RLM could make a good gameshow, see how they have a studio and are have some sense of professional pride in their work

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
The wheel of the worst was kind of a gameshow and we all remember how that turned out.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Keromaru5 posted:

Speaking of unpleasant, one thing still boggles my mind about Thunder in Paradise...

They made a CD-i game?

Ohhhhhh yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AZF8ruvcys

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Chexoid posted:

The wheel of the worst was kind of a gameshow and we all remember how that turned out.

Amazingly?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Cyron posted:

I hope brad taken a page from the good book and nic cage his way though the filming of this.

I get the feeling he's making fun of the questions at times, at least.

So is this meant to be a real game show, or a skit? Brad and Tamara are playing it like its a sketch, but it seems to ping pong between the two wildly.

Why is it done in shaky cam? Wouldn't you need one of those big tripods with the wheels for smooth movements and panning shots, like they use in real game shows?

Everything about this is like some kind of wierd fever dream. Its like Lynch-esque pardoy of gameshows, it's so odd and disjointed.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 1, 2015

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I love the idea of 200 dollars being a good game show prize. Shows that pay cash pay big cash because, ya know, people want big cash. Why not make it a cool thing worth about that? People are more forgiving about cheap prizes if the prize is a cool thing.

Like yea no poo poo anyone would love to get 200 bucks but game shows are all about big stakes. Ya know...making it into a game.

But yea, everyone already said what I would, horrible pacing, dead room with no audience (seriously the gimmick is actually pretty solid, go full on 'he's like a lovely Jigsaw' and have him have a boombox with canned reactions on it for some lackey to play. We don't need an actual live audience we just want it to sound alive, fold the joke in and keep the theme), zero interaction with the contestants just feels weird. We don't want to hear about their life stories but it's just really stuff and offputting to be all "THIS IS MAX MAX HERE IS A QUESTION YOU ARE RIGHT MAX YOU WIN GOODBYE". You can still play up the weird kidnapping bit there too, ask them normal game show get to know you things and sprinkle in random very personal/weird questions or something.

Cash Cab got away with low cash prizes. But then, you didn't have to dress up for Cash Cab. You were getting into a cab and suddenly eligible to win dozens, nay, hundreds of dollars.

All that these "contestants" have to do is realize that there are gameshow laws, get a lawyer, and Michaud & Co. are hosed.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

OldMemes posted:

Comedy Central has a fairly successful internet game show that comes on @Midnight.

Mr. Fowl posted:

Cash Cab got away with low cash prizes. But then, you didn't have to dress up for Cash Cab. You were getting into a cab and suddenly eligible to win dozens, nay, hundreds of dollars.

All that these "contestants" have to do is realize that there are gameshow laws, get a lawyer, and Michaud & Co. are hosed.

Cash Cab also had the bonus of a free cab ride. The only downside was that if you lost you had to get out and hail another cab while being closer to your destination.

Also you really only have to worry about game show fixing if you're on broadcast TV. Otherwise the FCC ain't got poo poo on you. Same as cursing and nudity. Basic Cable is only really governed by subscriber outrage and self imposed standards and practices.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Mr. Fowl posted:

I mean, yeah, if you want a bunch of terrible Channel Awesome uberfans to dox you and send you death threats that's a great idea.

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
I'd imagine to even enter the show, you'd have to be an uberfan in the first place.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Also, it's not like Channel Awesome has a lot of assets you could collect if you won a judgment against them. Maybe you could seize the green screen and the general's costume?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I imagine Mike has the contestants sign some forms to protect CA from any kind of lawsuits.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Holy gently caress, this "game show" is badbadbad. The sheer number of sound issues alone is absurd. The thwack of Brad's cards hitting the ground after every drat question is just ridiculous, and there are so many things like that. Just that would be enough to make this show embarrassing, but there are issues with the filming, editing, lighting, scripting, performances and just general concept.

This has literally nothing going for it except Brad's considerable charisma. How annoying that TGWTG is wasting so much of his time on this bullshit when he could be doing literally any other project of his.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

echopapa posted:

Also, it's not like Channel Awesome has a lot of assets you could collect if you won a judgment against them. Maybe you could seize the green screen and the general's costume?

Someone needs to do this for the greater good.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
In other NC news, he reviewed TNMT 2014 with the AVGN. It's... meh. Very meh.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Gyges posted:

Comedy Central has a fairly successful internet game show that comes on @Midnight.
That's more a game show about the Internet, though. And all the contestants are professional comedians. And it has production values, and is genuinely funny.

It's basically what I used to go to Twitter for, before my feed became nothing but Outrage of the Day, plus occasional Patton Oswalt jokes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

echopapa posted:

Doug's M. Bison Hat is provided as collateral. And his loving toy pistol.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Egads. I watched that game show, and I had thought I might've hosed something up and accidentally came in halfway through. Who's idea was it to cold start them playing that fishing game board?

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
My thoughts on this game show:

this show is painful. Why are there rounds, if the point values do not change? The questions are far too random, why is there terrorism and war questions next to tv questions?

Nuke this game from orbit.

The cold open is them trying to copy Double Dare, and like everything, missing why it worked on Double Dare.

PassTheRemote fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 1, 2015

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Does anybody know why Brad agreed to do that show? If he's doing it for free he's the nicest guy on the planet cuz his adlibs are the only remotely entertaining parts of the whole drat thing.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Say, anyone remember that MTV show "Trashed" where contestants' prized possessions were destroyed if they lost? Those were stakes. If Players can't win or lose anything of value, who cares? No one.

johnfw50 posted:

Does anybody know why Brad agreed to do that show? If he's doing it for free he's the nicest guy on the planet cuz his adlibs are the only remotely entertaining parts of the whole drat thing.

I hope he is getting some money for this, but how likely is that?

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Leal posted:

:psyduck:

90 thousand dollars.

NINETY. THOUSAND.

They break it down though:

quote:

Pop Quiz Hotshot – Pilot Episode
Posted by: Doug Walker in Channel Awesome, Pop Quiz Hotshot, Videos March 31, 2015 62 Comments

The pilot episode of our 80s/90s pop culture based game show. Two contestants face off with the victor facing the Nostalgia Critic for a chance to win ‘fabulous prizes’. Hosted by Brad Jones.
This will be the first of many episodes. Pop Quiz Hotshot unfortunately had a few issues for us that caused many delays. With the Indiegogo funds we received in September of 2013 we finally now have this show in full production, and will begin planning production for the Comic Book show and eventually the video game related game show.
With the $89,757 that we received from Indiegogo we used $47,767.67 on Indiegogo fees,perks (ordering,shipping and shipping supplies), studio upgrades,a studio/filming insurance upgrade,new equipment,sets and the initial costs for this show (5 filmed episodes and 5 test episodes).
The leftover money is being used to continue filming Pop Quiz Hotshot, and will also be used to film the other two shows we still have slated.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
FIFTY. THOUSAND. DOLLARS!

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

In other NC news, he reviewed TNMT 2014 with the AVGN. It's... meh. Very meh.

That was actually pretty good.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

johnfw50 posted:

I heard Brad was trying to jumpship and join the RLM crew several months ago. I guess it didn't pan out because he's still stuck at Channel Awesome. Poor guy. That being said, he does make a great game show host. Maybe he enjoys it. If this show manages to turn itself around and get good (unlikely, but you never know), and Brad sticks it out, who knows there's potential there.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
In other news the new One Hit Wonderland is up.

harryhenry
Jan 13, 2015

High Warlord Zog posted:

Watching that video, it makes me think of the early-mid 2000s. Almost every piece of technology back then (Especially mobile phones and Windows XP) had a blue "digital" color scheme with pixelated type, something like this:
That, and removable faceplates.

harryhenry fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Apr 1, 2015

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Holly Christine's bisection of the game on twitter is pretty interesting. Apparently there are five more episodes rready to go. :stare:

That...was an APril's Fool's gag, right? And the real show will be coming soon. Right? :sigh:

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 1, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OldMemes posted:

Holly Christine's bisection of the game on twitter is pretty interesting. Apparently there are five more episodes rready to go. :stare:

So it's not just a regular trainwreck, part of it's jumped the track and is now barreling downhill towards a suburb? :suspense:

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

YMS finally cut his stupid hair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_HfUjzM6TU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

johnfw50 posted:

Brad is friends with the Walkers, that's probably it

The Horse in Tears
Nov 3, 2014
The game show was awful. Yeesh. As with Demo Reel they had a show in development for ages without doing a drat thing to develop it. This isn't a pilot, it isn't even a proof of concept. It's a shoddy, rambling first draft.

They took the laziest, most uninspired approach to the actual quiz part - it's just Brad reading off generic questions to some guys who clearly weren't warmed up properly before shooting. But then they clutter up the show by having it be hosted in-character with (rather questionable) skits that don't tie in to anything. Concidering it was crowdfunded the technical incompetence is pretty unforgivable but it's not like anything's going to make this crap look good.

The obvious format for a Nostalgia Quiz would be a Have I Got News for You-style panel show. Except you'd need a host and two captains and all they've got is Brad. And Tamara, I guess, for all she gets to do.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Please don't post screenshots from my PC. Thanks in advance.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

RIP Robert Z'Dar (not April Fools joke)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Z'don't :(

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

harryhenry posted:

Watching that video, it makes me think of the early-mid 2000s. Almost every piece of technology back then (Especially mobile phones and Windows XP) had a blue "digital" color scheme with pixelated type, something like this:
That, and removable faceplates.

Yeah, that's why it was genius to use it for that prologue scene in Iron Man 3. You instantly thought of that time period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

High Warlord Zog posted:

Wow, I never saw their music videos before but they would fit the right in with Tales From Genesis Space.

• Locked thread