Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

THF13 posted:

I think the missing piece of the RealShield puzzle is what was on the ship that Fury thought was worth sacrificing Bobbi's life for. Best guesses are a superpowered villain or some nightmare weapon that should have been launched into the sun. It is going to be the Koenig assembly line and/or cloning vats

Ultron prototypes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I love so much that all of Mary Sue Poots' powers revolve around gratuitous slow motion

edit:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I love that there is a ridiculous slow mo shot every single time Skye uses her powers.

let's get gay married ok

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 1, 2015

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

I love so much that all of Mary Sue Poots' powers revolve around gratuitous slow motion

I wonder if when discussing Agents of SHIELD from conception, they highlighted the fact that 'one of our main characters will have superpowers but it's okay because we can just use slow motion and shake the camera a bit, it'll save a bundle'

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They also blew up a tree!

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

She also staked the dude with tree bits and made that swirly thing with water.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I lack the skills or program to do this but someone needs to put Guile's theme onto that scene. I hope we eventually get to see Skye cut loose on some really powerful supervillain. Or go all super effective! on Venom.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Codependent Poster posted:

Bobbi looks good in that.

Hot drat! She's about 3 leagues above Black Widow. I'd take a Charlies Angles style movie with Black Widow, Mockingbird and Agent May with Sam Jackson as Bosley and Adama as Charlie.

I'm just watching it now, Adama's speech about the cube is officially the start of Civil War i'm guessing.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 1, 2015

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Can somebody explain to me why Real SHIELD is bad?
I mean, Gonzalez makes a pretty good case that Fury sucked and was responsible for Insight. And Coulson's behavior was erratic, and he made some serious mistakes. And is Coulson really qualified to be head of SHIELD? Really, guys? He seems uncomfortable in the role.
While a lot of you are loving this plot, I see nothing good coming from it. Coulson and his team needed to get called to the carpet for all their fuckups, and Nick Fury especially needed to be refuted, but instead the show seems to be setting up a strawman designed to make Coulson's SHIELD look wonderful in comparison. It isn't there yet, but the groundwork has been laid. HECKUVA JOB, CHARLIE. Following this, Bobbi may flip based on that guy's willingness to kill Skye (which was, in retrospect, a totally rational, if cold-blooded call). And of course Fitz will use his relationship with Mac to turn him, and Gonzalez will be revealed as HYDRA, and I will ragequit this show. Which is sad, because I'm, weirdly, liking anything related to Skye's plotline, excited to see Raina again, and also of course loving Muad'Dad.
I guess EJO would be a pretty great villain for the back half of the season, but this path seems to go further to validate Coulson and Fury.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pan Dulce posted:

She also staked the dude with tree bits and made that swirly thing with water.

You should watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uENITui5_jU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Dat loving episode :suspense:

I can't believe how much these characters have grown on me since their introductions. Everyone talks about how much the originals have improved from those early episodes but Hunter as well. The first few episodes of this season he felt like a weird obstruction because someone had mandated the show needed a snarky British guy but all of a sudden he's showing up in Tahiti, pledging Coulson his loyalty and I'm like 'awwww yay Hunter'. This show is on such a goddam role now, this and the Flash in one night makes for one of the best TV show combos.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Did NOBODY notice how EJO's lines could've been taken directly from BSG? I'M STILL COMMANDER OF THIS SHIP.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

This show has gotten so good. I actually put off watching Justified to watch SHIELD tonight and I was not let down.

I'm really hoping they don't go overboard with Adama turning out to be a bad dude. Obviously we're meant to side with Coulson (because he's the freaking man), but we already did super evil with Bill Paxton last year and Whitehall earlier this year. It would be a bold move to have the enemy be essentially good but in a fundamentally different way than our guys. I'm also hoping the same with regard to Gordon.

Still haven't gone through Agent Carter. How did it turn out?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Agent Carter got really good early on and stayed that good until the end. It's worth watching, considering how short it is and how good it was.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

kammat[They went to Tahiti [/quote posted:

Of course they did. It's a magical place.

[quote="Soothing Vapors"]I love so much that all of Mary Sue Poots' powers revolve around gratuitous slow motion
Ironically, much of the Flash's superpowers are shown to us in slow motion on that show.
Otherwise it would all be a blur and we wouldn't know what was happening, and a week's worth of SPX would be on-screen for milliseconds.

Apoplexy posted:

Did NOBODY notice how EJO's lines could've been taken directly from BSG? I'M STILL COMMANDER OF THIS SHIP.

Yes that was great. But I still can't figure out:

Is The Real SHIELD really the real SHIELD?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Spatula City posted:

They're not which is what makes them interesting.

I have a feeling the way this whole thing is going to pan out revolves around the carrier cargo (whatever it is) slipping into someone else's hands with Coulson's team being the ones to recover it (possibly with an alliance with Gonzales.) Note that (next ep trailer) we didn't really see the carrier in the preview. Just Coulson taking back HIS base. Gonzales' team are probably still going to be running after next week.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I think they're really not SHIELD, since Fury didn't give them the orders to go and form a cabal to reform the organization. Not that they see it that way, or that it matters much. Coulson is the appointed director, he has the cube of stuff in it, he's the real guy in charge.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mokinokaro posted:

They're not which is what makes them interesting.

I hope they keep that up. I'm really digging this civil war purely because, like you say, everyone's the "good guy." You can see the fact that eventually one of them is going to do something that takes the kid's gloves off written on the wall of inevitability, but that just adds tension to it.

Also I'm digging Skye's powers. I was thinking Earthquake stuff was kind of lame, but I like where they're going with them. I don't know anything about the comic character.

Rarity posted:

Dat loving episode :suspense:

I can't believe how much these characters have grown on me since their introductions. Everyone talks about how much the originals have improved from those early episodes but Hunter as well. The first few episodes of this season he felt like a weird obstruction because someone had mandated the show needed a snarky British guy but all of a sudden he's showing up in Tahiti, pledging Coulson his loyalty and I'm like 'awwww yay Hunter'. This show is on such a goddam role now, this and the Flash in one night makes for one of the best TV show combos.

How are the odds of Season 3 looking? God I hope the ratings have gone up. It's such a hard sell to win people back after the first half of season 1.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
What? No, you are not a "good guy" if you're literally going to hunt down and murder an innocent woman because she has superpowers.

Olmos' SHIELD, at this point, is ridiculous. Their one single plausible point is that the alien DNA could make Coulson erratic, and yet even then they can't legitimately verbalize how Coulson is actually being erratic at all. Olmos (I will remember the character's name at some point) accuses Coulson of handling the alien temple mission badly, despite the mission actually being relatively successful, and in the same breath admits that he himself would've made big mistakes during the Hydra takeover. He then goes on about how they have to find all the enhanced people Fury is hiding which...how exactly does that have anything to do with SHIELD leadership protocols? It's like the biggest non-sequitur ever, and yet it somehow forms the crux of his crusade?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BrianWilly posted:

What? No, you are not a "good guy" if you're literally going to hunt down and murder an innocent woman because she has superpowers.

Not once did the word murder come up. I mean granted, that might be the big plan beneath it all, but all I heard was "use Icers, don't kill anyone" the entire drat episode from both sides.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Did you miss that they were using real bullets against Skye at the end, despite Bobbi telling them not to?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
This whole arc reminds me of Pegasus from BSG.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
No, only the dickhead of the heads of SHIELD was using real ammo against Skye. He also got impaled by a chunk of tree, so he doesn't matter any more narratively.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

No, the footsoldiers were using real guns too. Icers don't make ringing gunshots that can be heard across the forest, which is how Bobbi and whatshisname knew where Skye was.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Apoplexy posted:

No, only the dickhead of the heads of SHIELD was using real ammo against Skye. He also got impaled by a chunk of tree, so he doesn't matter any more narratively.

The agent who found Skye also had real ammo.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

I guess this is what happens to people with powers that can't wear gloves on their hands to cover up their sharp finger nails :v:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Blazing Ownager posted:

Not once did the word murder come up. I mean granted, that might be the big plan beneath it all, but all I heard was "use Icers, don't kill anyone" the entire drat episode from both sides.

Apoplexy posted:

Bobbi says to use icers only, but it's pretty clear that no one listened to her.

The foot soldier who initially approached Skye had a real gun and was basically sneaking up on her to shoot her in the back. The gun goes off, and they all go off to follow the sound of the literal bullet leaving the gun. Then lieutenant rear end in a top hat shows up and tries to shoot Skye with his gun.

Real Shield is clearly happy to use less than lethal force against its misguided buddies, but if their solution to apprehending a Shield agent with powers is to go in guns blazing, I have to imagine their only plan would be to kill any people they found with powers, particularly those linked to Inhumans since they know a bit about those wacky alien goings-on. Best case they're going at it like police coming up on a guy with a gun: If you immediately drop the weapon or slowly lower it to the ground or follow their instructions 100% to the letter, you'll probably be cuffed and taken into custody. If you do literally anything else everyone in sight will try to pump a full magazine into you. It's a bit harder to do that though when your body is the weapon and no one is ordering you to get on the ground and put your hands behind your head.

I do appreciate the irony of Real Shield being the bad guys in part because they're using real guns though, after myself and many others ranting against Coulson's team for using icers when they should be straight up murdering Hydra goons.

But yeah, good episode overall. All I want out of the next episode is Skyedad meeting Daisy with the biggest "Told you so" :smug: look on his face.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Apoplexy posted:

Kirk Acevedo is a really good actor and seems to specialize in dying in new and crazy ways. Back on Fringe he was stung by a MOW that deposited eggs or larva (which in the alternate world became worms).

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
He got a crossbolt in the chest in Walking Dead after his tank blew up in the best way possible! Someone get that gif of Daryl whipping a 'nade down the tank's main cannon barrel, please.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

NowonSA posted:

But yeah, good episode overall. All I want out of the next episode is Skyedad meeting Daisy with the biggest "Told you so" :smug: look on his face.

And on the note of him, is it just me or is he way more ambiguously evil because of his love of his daughter? Between him, Gordon the Inhuman, and Real SHIELD headed up by EJO, this half a season has some pretty good antagonists. I like them a fair amount more than Hydra dicks and Whitehall (who loving owned, Reed Diamond can do no wrong).

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Binary Logic posted:

Kirk Acevedo is a really good actor and seems to specialize in dying in new and crazy ways. Back on Fringe he was stung by a MOW that deposited eggs or larva (which in the alternate world became worms).

Though he actually died from a shape shifter stealing his identity.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Spatula City posted:

I mean, Gonzalez makes a pretty good case that Fury sucked and was responsible for Insight. And Coulson's behavior was erratic, and he made some serious mistakes. And is Coulson really qualified to be head of SHIELD? Really, guys? He seems uncomfortable in the role.
While a lot of you are loving this plot, I see nothing good coming from it. Coulson and his team needed to get called to the carpet for all their fuckups, and Nick Fury especially needed to be refuted, but instead the show seems to be setting up a strawman designed to make Coulson's SHIELD look wonderful in comparison. It isn't there yet, but the groundwork has been laid. HECKUVA JOB, CHARLIE. Following this, Bobbi may flip based on that guy's willingness to kill Skye (which was, in retrospect, a totally rational, if cold-blooded call). And of course Fitz will use his relationship with Mac to turn him, and Gonzalez will be revealed as HYDRA, and I will ragequit this show. Which is sad, because I'm, weirdly, liking anything related to Skye's plotline, excited to see Raina again, and also of course loving Muad'Dad.
I guess EJO would be a pretty great villain for the back half of the season, but this path seems to go further to validate Coulson and Fury.

While Adama's SHIELD has some points about Fury's handling of SHIELD, they are going about things in a really poo poo way.

HYDRA takes out SHIELD. Fury hands over SHIELD to Coulson, he scrapes together what he can and continues the work and gathering together all of the remaining SHEILD agents with scraps of the organisation and equipment. Coulson's SHIELD also thwarts a major HYDRA plot that could have resulted in the destruction of everything as well as taking out the high level HYDRA commanders and coming to an understanding with the military commander tasked with shutting the whole thing down.

Adama in the mean time gathers a whole bunch of other SHIELD agents and resources (including a loving aircraft carrier and a bunch of quin jets), hides them away from the military and Coulson, infiltrates Coulson's SHIELD with the purpose of shutting them down, doing nothing against HYDRA with all his tech and resources.

Adama SHIELD right now is bad because they are hypocritical and ineffective at what SHIELD is meant to be all about. There is no reasonable explanation for him not hooking up with Coulson in the aftermath of HYDRA rising other than "we shoudl be running things our way, not Fury's way".
Now things may turn out to put everything in a better light later on (like what was the dangerous cargo that they were going to sink the ship over, maybe they have been up to other stuff in the mean time etc) but right now, they are the rear end in a top hat splinter group loving up the real SHIELD with the goal of "KILL ALL THE NON NORMALS :derp: "

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
"We should not be running things Fury's way" is a pretty good argument by itself.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mr Beens posted:

Now things may turn out to put everything in a better light later on (like what was the dangerous cargo that they were going to sink the ship over, maybe they have been up to other stuff in the mean time etc) but right now, they are the rear end in a top hat splinter group loving up the real SHIELD with the goal of "KILL ALL THE NON NORMALS :derp: "

1. I don't think Fury had the authority or the right to make Coulsen director of SHIELD. If Adama's SHIELD was created using procedures put in place by the original SHIELD, then it has a stronger claim to legitimacy than Coulsen's SHIELD.
2. The non-normals are dangerous and pose a threat to everyone on Earth. Killing them isn't the easy choice and its certainly not the humane choice, but if its the only way to contain them and protect the general public, then its the RIGHT choice.
3. Coulsen sucks.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I'd be interested to know what Real SHIELD has been doing with all of their resources. Have they been cruising around avoiding Talbot and everything else and just decided to pop in and spy on Coulson?

How did they find out about Coulson's team?
How did they find out that Coulson had alien blood in him?
Why is Coulson untrustworthy because he has alien blood yet Mack who was possessed by aliens gets a pass?
Why is it better for Real Shield to collect and hide technology than where it is currently hidden that only two people can find out about?

I don't see a lot of difference here with how much secrecy Gonzales is going about things and how Fury went about it other than it's more 'democratized'. I mean, quick test to see if Real Shield is hypocritical or not: are they working in hand with governments around the world to protect them, or are they still hiding out collecting things?

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 1, 2015

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

"We should not be running things Fury's way" is a pretty good argument by itself.

Except they're loving it up really badly. They hate secrets, so they stay secret and play spy games for months instead of doing anything positive. They champion democracy, so they force Coulson's Shield into submission against their will without any negotiation under their leadership of former high-ranking Shield officials. They claim Coulson's a lovely leader, but their own leadership is awful and thus far vastly inferior to his. And they hate Fury keeping dangerous poo poo lying around so they want to what? Destroy everything dangerous? Including people?

Coulson's toned-down version of Fury's methods have so far been wildly successful. He's achieved a lot with little resources. These guys want to replace him with something that seems pretty bad and ineffective (hating secrets in a covert intelligence agency, what they christ????).

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 1, 2015

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

It isn't really an argument, though. They haven't presented a better alternative beyond some vague "decisions by committee". It's like political parties saying the other party plan sucks but then crickets chirp when you ask what their better plan is. At least Fury seemed to use his resources to actually do stuff, these guys are more concerned with beating other good guys in a power struggle.

Nephthys posted:

And they hate Fury keeping dangerous poo poo lying around so they want to what? Destroy everything dangerous? Including people?

Although Fury tells her to blow up a ship because it has dangerous poo poo lying around and they pointedly don't destroy it. Sort of amusing.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 1, 2015

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
How many episodes until Ultron, and how many after? Presumably, Fury will sort this "Real SHIELD" business out, right?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well Coulson really isn't. He runs a stark middle ground between Fury's way and EJO's way.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
4 episodes to Ultron. Assuming no breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!

Apoplexy posted:

All I could think of was "oh man, Joe Toye getting taken out again like in Bastogne"

• Locked thread