Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

CitizenKain posted:

Unlocked the Challenger today, and uhh..I know DonkeyHotay said it wasn't that bad, I feel as though I'm going to have to disagree. This is a real bummer of a tank.

The challenger sucks. The pen is anemic seeing as the gun hasn't changed since the archer. The hull has no armor to really use the dpm ability. The camo is lacking to hide to use the dpm ability. The hull is mobile, but that is about the only thing good about the tank.

And when I talk about the gun being crap, you will instantly point out that the gun is good to great when compared to tier 7 mediums. You would be correct. However, when comparing to how you need to play this td versus the t9s it will see, it is more a hindrance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

JuffoWup posted:

The challenger sucks. The pen is anemic seeing as the gun hasn't changed since the archer. The hull has no armor to really use the dpm ability. The camo is lacking to hide to use the dpm ability. The hull is mobile, but that is about the only thing good about the tank.

And when I talk about the gun being crap, you will instantly point out that the gun is good to great when compared to tier 7 mediums. You would be correct. However, when comparing to how you need to play this td versus the t9s it will see, it is more a hindrance.

Does it get really good gun depression? If it got like 20 degrees of gun depression it might justify the horrifically ugly turret.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Does it get really good gun depression? If it got like 20 degrees of gun depression it might justify the horrifically ugly turret.

It's pretty good, sitting at 10 degrees. I'd suggest either free xp, or shoot nothing but gold since it's at least somewhat usable then.

Edit: it's basically a stock Chi-ri with better gold ammo and a broken turret.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 1, 2015

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

It's basically a Comet but poo poo. 23 extra pen ain't worth that much.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

So it's a Comet then :v:

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I bought the 13 90 today but I don't want to play it because I can't afford equipment in it until tomorrow, I have developed a no equipment phobia.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Prav posted:

It's basically a Comet but poo poo. 23 extra pen ain't worth that much.

It's actually a cromwell chasis I think. But the gun might be like what the comet has. Only you have a massive turret that has no armor and turns super slow.

I really, really disliked the Challenger.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

CitizenKain posted:

Unlocked the Challenger today, and uhh..I know DonkeyHotay said it wasn't that bad, I feel as though I'm going to have to disagree. This is a real bummer of a tank.

Donkey plays a lot of the 113, he's basically taken Primelaw's love of bad tanks to the next level.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Apparently WG have a department just for enhancing the goon game experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrlWOiwS5dQ

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf. J is on sale on the EU server. RIP playing Tier 3 in the future.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Infected posted:

Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf. J is on sale on the EU server. RIP playing Tier 3 in the future.

Of course, in a 100€ package with 30,000 gold. So I wouldn't fear too much.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
It's a cheap 100€, how nice.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
I've been thinking of new and exciting ways to waste my money on this game. Is the Pz II J fun enough to warrant a buy if I was going to buy tons of gold anyway?

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

I think the answer is yes.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Prav posted:

Apparently WG have a department just for enhancing the goon game experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrlWOiwS5dQ

thx wg

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..
So I just unlocked the Tiger II, my first non-premium tier VIII, and immediately start playing like poo poo.

I free XP'd everything but the guns, knowing that the stock gun will do a solid job even against tier IX's having had some solid games using it in the Tiger I.
I knew that I should try and play it in a similar way to the Tiger I, which has been one of my favorite tanks to play, and have had plenty of experience playing my Lowe (which I really enjoy playing), focusing on using the guns accuracy and range before moving in and hiding the lower front plate, angling, and reverse angling corners to make the most of the solid armor.

Despite knowing these things I immediately proceed to overextend, get caught in the open, miss all my weak-spot shots and play like a completely useless tomato. I know it's not a strong tank, but I know that it is WAAAAYYY better than how I am playing it at the moment. I might go and play the KV-1 some more and (re)learn my heavy mechanics.

Anyone else lose their mind when they unlock a new tank and proceed to poo poo it up for 50 games until they start playing well again? I think the only tank I've done well with straight out of the gates was the whole SU line (because those things are all amazing), and the T29 which I can't stop winning in.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Everyone does poo poo in the Tiger II because everyone rushes it and find themselves in a world where Better Tanks driven by Better players start to really come into play. The Tiger II is ok, but there are much more effective heavies at tier 8, its a bit underwhelming really.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

Ensign Expendable posted:

Quick informal survey regarding the articles that I've been translating in this thread: should I keep putting them here, or is everyone who cares following them on my blog anyway? Also, WG started posting articles on modern tanks recently (I wouldn't have the faintest idea as to why, don't ask me), do you guys care about those here, since these vehicles aren't currently in WoT?

Yes you should. I have a residual interest in all those cold war Soviet MBTs ever since I was an impressionable teenager playing Operation Flashpoint.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

sc0tty posted:

So I just unlocked the Tiger II, my first non-premium tier VIII, and immediately start playing like poo poo.

I free XP'd everything but the guns, knowing that the stock gun will do a solid job even against tier IX's having had some solid games using it in the Tiger I.
I knew that I should try and play it in a similar way to the Tiger I, which has been one of my favorite tanks to play, and have had plenty of experience playing my Lowe (which I really enjoy playing), focusing on using the guns accuracy and range before moving in and hiding the lower front plate, angling, and reverse angling corners to make the most of the solid armor.

Despite knowing these things I immediately proceed to overextend, get caught in the open, miss all my weak-spot shots and play like a completely useless tomato. I know it's not a strong tank, but I know that it is WAAAAYYY better than how I am playing it at the moment. I might go and play the KV-1 some more and (re)learn my heavy mechanics.

Anyone else lose their mind when they unlock a new tank and proceed to poo poo it up for 50 games until they start playing well again? I think the only tank I've done well with straight out of the gates was the whole SU line (because those things are all amazing), and the T29 which I can't stop winning in.

The key to playing the Konigstiger is to puss it out and hang in the back as the pubbies wear down the enemy. Seriously, play this tank as a shitlord and you'll begin to shine. I don't even have the top gun and I can still do poo poo in T10 battles this way.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

rossmum posted:

I get very happy when people shoot all HEAT at me because it will bounce.

HEAT is bad. Don't shoot HEAT. That includes in the T69, which honestly does not need it.

Unless you're driving the E100. Shoot HEAT err'day

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Is there still a goon presence in this game? I started playing recently and mostly figured things out but more people to shoot things with is always a good thing.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Nessus posted:

I want to see all your posts. In fact I miss your SerB facts, which were more fun than playing tanks half the time! (I realize there may have been regular updates I missed because of everyone posting tank-rage.)

I stopped doing SerB facts when SerB himself stopped doing them and they became boring. I should probably drop in and see if he's back.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Is there still a goon presence in this game? I started playing recently and mostly figured things out but more people to shoot things with is always a good thing.

Yes, get a tier 6 and start strongholding with PANSY. I'm sure they'll help you get there in no time.

Also people that thought WG is rigging your maps were right!

4 0,397% ruinberg_winter
14 1,389% himmelsdorf_winter
14 1,389% ruinberg_on_fire
16 1,587% airfield
16 1,587% stalingrad
17 1,687% westfeld
18 1,786% Himmelsdorf
19 1,885% kharkiv
19 1,885% prohorovka_defense
20 1,984% Ensk
20 1,984% ruinberg
20 1,984% caucasus
20 1,984% canada_a
20 1,984% asia_miao
21 2,083% slough
21 2,083% mannerheim_line
22 2,183% tundra
23 2,282% monastery
23 2,282% fjord
24 2,381% crimea
26 2,579% malinovka
26 2,579% fishing_bay
27 2,679% lakeville
27 2,679% hills
27 2,679% japan
29 2,877% prohorovka
29 2,877% cliff
30 2,976% el_hallouf
30 2,976% asia_korea
33 3,274% murovanka
33 3,274% redshire
34 3,373% steppes
38 3,770% erlenberg
42 4,167% karelia
42 4,167% winter
47 4,663% desert
51 5,060% siegfried_line
66 6,548% north_america
1008 Total

Not super shameless rigging, but ~25% of the matches end up on ~15% of the maps.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

April Fools.

http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/19/suitcase/

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Praise be to Obama. :sparkles: Gun control ackbar.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Missing Name posted:

Praise be to Obama. :sparkles: Gun control ackbar.
It's the physical manifestation of our Lord and Savior, the beneficent and merciful Rainbow Bullet Bill.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It seems to be live, though - someone beside me just got blown up in a shower of glitter and rainbows.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
The russian forums must be at a breaking point, the nazi homos at WG have ruined the game.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Computer viking posted:

It seems to be live, though - someone beside me just got blown up in a shower of glitter and rainbows.

Yeah I just got mine. You get a rainbow ribbon when you unlock it too.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Uranium 235 posted:

The problem isn't being unable to hit things when sniping in a 13 90, it's being unable to pen things. With 0.38 dispersion and only 170 pen, you're going to have a hard time penning a lot of your possible targets. You don't have the accuracy to reliably hit weak points at a distance. And when you are circling someone, 170 pen can still lead to bounces. Since your clip reload is so long, bouncing one or two shots when you're circling someone can be the difference between surviving the encounter and dying.

With APCR, you have 248 pen, so none of this matters. If you hit a target, you're probably going to pen it unless it's the strong point on the tank (top frontal plate, mantlet, frontal turret). It just opens up so many more opportunities to deal damage for the 13 90.

Like I said, with some tanks, gold rounds aren't really that much better than silver rounds. But some tanks get insanely good gold, and the 13 90 is one of them. 248 APCR is really, really good.

Use gold whenever feels right, all the time is an option of course. I'm not denying good ACPR on the 1390. Something is wrong if you can't make 170 pen work against anything other than tanks with >170mm sides, though. Those are when gold is a must. You have a genuine playstyle problem if you can't figure out how to aim for weak spots or position to shoot the side of tanks.

I guess I'm used to low pen, playing e25/t71/t69 and doing well in them?

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

Computer viking posted:

I used it to slap a Bat who was being irritating. It made me smile. Then two matches later I got baited in my 100HP Obj 430 by a 1,200HP E 75. It made me really loving angry, gently caress that worthless piece of poo poo.

Saint Celestine posted:

Unless you're driving the E100. Shoot HEAT err'day

Yes this is true, my bad. I barely play the thing.

Rothmog
Jul 26, 2011

notwithoutmyanus posted:

You have a genuine playstyle problem if you can't figure out how to aim for weak spots or position to shoot the side of tanks.

The biggest issue with shooting silver are the times where you NEED APCR and that long rear end reload for the magazine screws everything up. It isn't playing something that can shoot the silver in the barrel and load up gold with the next shot in a few seconds.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ensign Expendable posted:

Quick informal survey regarding the articles that I've been translating in this thread: should I keep putting them here, or is everyone who cares following them on my blog anyway? Also, WG started posting articles on modern tanks recently (I wouldn't have the faintest idea as to why, don't ask me), do you guys care about those here, since these vehicles aren't currently in WoT?

Keep posting here because i love them.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
So what tank is this I found at a VFW I randomly drove by in upstate NY?

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Use gold whenever feels right, all the time is an option of course. I'm not denying good ACPR on the 1390. Something is wrong if you can't make 170 pen work against anything other than tanks with >170mm sides, though. Those are when gold is a must. You have a genuine playstyle problem if you can't figure out how to aim for weak spots or position to shoot the side of tanks.

I guess I'm used to low pen, playing e25/t71/t69 and doing well in them?

With 40 sec reload time on amx 1390, you dont have option to switch ammo whenever 170pen will be enough. Its one of those tanks where you just only carry one ammo type, like most autoloaders.
The amx 1390 also has very little ammo, and will run out of ammo often. And since you'll see t10 games mostly, you'll need all the apcr you can get.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's an M60A1

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

So I was trolling people last night to meet me underwater and that WOT was going to have an underwater tanking component soon.

Somehow I nailed their april fools: http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/19/waterworldoftanks/?emst=UWhVUBGkp6_52992_312679_47

WG plz hire me

maev posted:

Yes you should. I have a residual interest in all those cold war Soviet MBTs ever since I was an impressionable teenager playing Operation Flashpoint.

:glomp:

i remember dial up multiplayer...

I also remember explaining to people about one incident where an RPG penetrated an M1A2 in the Iraq War using OpFlash as a demo in HS

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 1, 2015

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:

Stringbean posted:

So what tank is this I found at a VFW I randomly drove by in upstate NY?

M60 Jesus looks like

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

guidoanselmi posted:

So I was trolling people last night to meet me underwater and that WOT was going to have an underwater tanking component soon.

Somehow I nailed their april fools: http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/19/waterworldoftanks/?emst=UWhVUBGkp6_52992_312679_47

Huh, on EU we got this one.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Btw, did you guys know that winrate is not an accurate way of calculating a player's skill, but hitrate is?

(also yes, I play on a 15" screen)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

CitizenKain posted:

Challenger is ahistorically buffed, it doesn't explode after 73 seconds.