Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Nephthys posted:

Except they're loving it up really badly.

'By itself' meaning that sentence on it's own is a good argument, not that the underlying concept justifies whatever they're doing. They're just as bad as Fury, Coulson, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Apoplexy posted:

No, only the dickhead of the heads of SHIELD was using real ammo against Skye. He also got impaled by a chunk of tree, so he doesn't matter any more narratively.

It looked to me like he got hit in the shoulder with the tree shrapnel.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

SO ... I'm not very much into superhero comics, and while I'm enjoying this series off and on, I have little knowledge of the marvel universe - the only movies I've watched that are in this universe are 2 ironman movies and the first avengers movie.

With that in mind, WTF is ultron/civil war (I assume civil war is simply a shorthand for shield v REALshield, but I don't know per se)?

And while I'm here - what other movies in this setting are worth watching?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

double nine posted:

SO ... I'm not very much into superhero comics, and while I'm enjoying this series off and on, I have little knowledge of the marvel universe - the only movies I've watched that are in this universe are 2 ironman movies and the first avengers movie.

With that in mind, WTF is ultron/civil war (I assume civil war is simply a shorthand for shield v REALshield, but I don't know per se)?

Ultron is avengers 2 and Civil War is the name of Captain America 3
The other movies worth watching are Guardians of the Galaxy, Iron Man 3, and Captain America 2. Captain America 1 is also good.

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

He did, he was still breathing in the last shot of him.

double nine posted:

Civil War was a big comic event of superheroes vs superheroes which featured some real dumb characterization and decision-making (which isn't real important here or in Cap 3), but the basic gist of it is that some young superheroes were irresponsible in attempting to catch a villain, said villain blows up an elementary school taking half the young team with it. Public perception turns on heroes, some heroes think they should register with the government, others stand by their freedom of anonymity. Eventually a law gets put through making it mandatory to register with the government, and the titular civil war happens.

Ultron is a robot, you'll see more of him in Avengers 2. Also most of the movies are worth watching, with the only real skippable ones being Thor 2 and Iron Man 2.

Kaddion fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 1, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wanna see Skye gently caress up some Ultron drones.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

double nine posted:

Ultron refers to a Marvel comics plotline that is going to be adapted to the Avengers: Age of Ultron movie. From what I can gather, it has something to do with a super smart and strong robot designed by Tony Stark going berserk.

Civil War refers to another Marvel comics plotline that will be adapted to Captain America 3. It won't be about Shield vs. Real Shield, it will be about superheroes fighting each other over whether or not they should be registered/regulated/identities known.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

double nine posted:

Should probably watch all of them. But

You should definitely watch the two Captain America movies. Definitely Ironman 3, Should probably watch Thor 1, Thor 2 is optional, but Loki is a pretty cool character. Holy poo poo watch Guardians of the Galaxy. Don't really need to watch the Hulk movie.

Ultron is the next Avengers Movie(The Avengers 2: Age of Ultron). Civil war is the name of the next Captain America movie. (Captain America: Civil War) .

Spoilers for the Comic Civil war arc, The movie is probably going to take these themes but not the actual events.

It's essentially a comic arc where There are two sides. Pro-Registration of Superheroes, and anti-registration. Headed up by Stark and Captain America respectively. Both sides in theory have some sound logic and reasoning. But the execution in the comic sucked and Stark(and Reed) were essentially turned into Hitler(Complete with Hitler's youth analogue in the Avengers Initiative)

To put it simply Civil War's conflict is mirrored around the arguments that Fitz and Simmons have been having with each other. Since Daisy "Mary Sue Poots" Johnson got her vibrating powers.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You should definitely watch Cap 2 at least. I mean you should've watched it already since it provides important context to everything that's happened in this show since Turn, Turn, Turn.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Guardians of the Galaxy really has nothing to do with whatever is happening with the earthly superheroes now other than (I think) the same alien being behind some of the chaos.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 1, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Doctor Butts posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy really has nothing to do with whatever is happening with the earthly superheroes other than (I think) the same alien being behind some of the chaos.

Well sure but it's also really good.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Doctor Butts posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy really has nothing to do with whatever is happening with the earthly superheroes other than (I think) the same alien being behind some of the chaos.

But it's It's the best movie Marvel has made. So it should be watched.

I mean I guess I'd hear arguments for IM:3, and Winter Solider. But I doubt someone could change my mind.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Doctor Butts posted:

Well he did cause the events of Avengers and his collecting of the gems has been weaving in and out of the series for a while.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

GoTG is the most important out of the meta narrative that's running through the MCU but most importantly it's loving fun to watch

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Y'all are vastly overhyping the quality of GotG. Its a fairly standard, paint-by-the-numbers Marvel flick that starts off strong, but ultimately suffers from having a poorly-defined antagonist and a confused ending (with a dumb deux ex machina to boot).

Captain America is the best Marvel movie, btw.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Irish Joe posted:

Y'all are vastly overhyping the quality of GotG. Its a fairly standard, paint-by-the-numbers Marvel flick that starts off strong, but ultimately suffers from having a poorly-defined antagonist and a confused ending (with a dumb deux ex machina to boot).

You mean Winter Soldier right? Because that's the movie that convinced me superhero movies were worth watching.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pretty sure he means the first one, but that's because he's an ejit.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Rosalind posted:

You mean Winter Soldier right? Because that's the movie that convinced me superhero movies were worth watching.

I liked Winter Soldier for not feeling the need to justify the comicy aspects of it, but, as a whole, the movie felt more like a series of action set pieces than a coherent storytelling vehicle. The first Captain America balanced the story and action much better and was, as a consequence, a much more satisfying film overall.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I miss Tripp

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Apoplexy posted:

Did NOBODY notice how EJO's lines could've been taken directly from BSG? I'M STILL COMMANDER OF THIS SHIP.

Yeah, that was my favorite part after the gratuitous slow motion. Also "He had an axe, now I have it" was metal as gently caress

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
This show is so good. I wish it was over so I could binge watch it.

Also, the only ten seconds of both Thor movies worth watching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5bbu6NPRvU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

That is correct. I don't know if that can be considered lethal or not, he sure seemed to be hit by a big piece, though!

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Irish Joe posted:

I liked Winter Soldier for not feeling the need to justify the comicy aspects of it, but, as a whole, the movie felt more like a series of action set pieces than a coherent storytelling vehicle. The first Captain America balanced the story and action much better and was, as a consequence, a much more satisfying film overall.

You have got to be kidding. Watch it again, then say the same thing, Irish Joe. It's hard to after you have it fresh in your memory. It got such ridiculously great reviews for a reason, after all. Hell, even the part where Falcon was a dedicated third wheel was great because he was so loving awesome.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Dexo posted:

But it's It's the best movie Marvel has made. So it should be watched.

I mean I guess I'd hear arguments for IM:3, and Winter Solider. But I doubt someone could change my mind.

I think most people think that the top-tier films so far have been Winter Soldier, the first Iron Man, Guardians, and The Avengers. At least that's what review percentages support. I agree, since those films loving rule. Not that there's any reason to skip watching any of them, it's just... Marvel blows it out of the park 4 times out of, like, 9. That is a good loving ratio going forward.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Apoplexy posted:

Marvel blows it out of the park 4 times out of, like, 9. That is a good loving ratio going forward.

And the rest are still good.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Agreed. The only one I would legitimately say to pass on is The Incredible Hulk with Ed Norton, because it is an outlier that really didn't get treated well by history so far. I mean, it's technically canon, but it's not imperative to see even to justify the Avengers line about it. Even the hook at the end of the film, with Tony Stark meeting up with General Ross was retconned away into something implausibly lame and boring that didn't even require extra RDJ footage.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I mean, if you like this show, you'd probably like Iron Man 2 and the other 'lesser' movies. They aren't about to win an oscar for writing but they're generally entertaining. Iron Man 2 is probably made better if you know Widow and the Shield stuff already, since those things were frequent sources of complaints before the Avengers stuff really started up - still are, but as a super-expensive 2-hour episode of Marvel's "big screen TV show" they're perfectly fine. Thor 2 is pretty forgettable but it's entertaining for a Saturday morning.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

I tend to agree with you about Guardians, it's my least favourite of all the Marvel movies.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Irish Joe posted:

Will agree that the antagonist was poo poo and that they could've done so much more since he's basically an anti-hero in the comics, otherwise no you're wrong.

It's literally Marvel's Farscape.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

sunday at work posted:

"That man there had an axe. Now I have it."

:metal:

This was a pretty loving incredible quote.

All of these Winter Soldier fallout scenes are super well done, they could have put together a show exclusively to deal with that and it would have hit the ground running and kicked rear end. (I mean, I absolutely agree with others that there were benefits to starting pre-collapse so we could get a sense of the day-to-day and connect with the characters, but... just fun to think about a more hi-octane version)

I do think Jemma's a super-racist just like everyone else, but I do still feel she's extremely loyal to Coulson. And among her and Simmons, she does have the double agent experience, so, hey, just saying.

hope and vaseline posted:

Haha RealShield is a bunch of dumb mofos for thinking an untapped weapon of mass destruction would react well to being approached with a full force task team

Hah yeah this too. Even beyond beyond total pieces of poo poo, they're also can't seem to actually accomplish anything worthwhile. I guess they managed to screw over the one guy who was holding things together but, seeing as the methods they used and results they achieved actually completely undermine every one of their goals, I can't really call that a "victory" either.

Irish Joe posted:

While we're on the topic, honestly I sort of agree with him. It's an amazingly fun popcorn blockbuster romp; musically, visually, it's gorgeous; and it has a bunch of really charming characters and wild set pieces that dazzle you. But, I think once that dazzle fades, and you start to chip away at the surface down to the actual supporting structure of the film, there's not much there. It's all flash, even compared to other MCU movies.

As a result, it's quite possibly the best MCU film to watch... once. But any kind of critical rewatch will reveal a lot of weak points, and the appeal starts to break down for a significant amount of the film. Same thing that happens with Avengers, but not as bad. Cap 1/2 or Iron Man hold up to scrutiny better.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Guardians was a ton of fun in the theater, but I have had no desire to watch it again.

Whereas I've seen all the other MCU movies a few times each (except Hulk cause... meh).

I think Iron Man 1 is the best. But I have SUCH strong memories of how amazing it was to see it for the first time, that I am sure I do not have an objective POV. That bit at the end where Coulson says "just call us SHIELD"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTYl6tGlhd8

omggggg I remember seeing that in the theater and just freaking out when he said it.
Sitting next to my dad, who introduced me to comic books and SHIELD and everything. It was just sublime. And afterwards, we went out and he bought me a copy of the Steranko Nick Fury. And we had a heated discussion about why Nick Fury was suddenly black.

It was the beginning. The start of it all. It was finally a good time to be a nerd

Man, I love that movie

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Here's the thing. "Real SHIELD" is an organization ruled by fear. For all that they claim that to be about transparency and doing things a new way, they're clearly traumatized by the battle for the Iliad that was their group's personal crucible. The revelation of HYDRA in their midst has made them paranoid and fearful. Coulson's got some weird poo poo in his system? Can't be trusted, infiltrate his group and neutralize him. Skye's got powers? Take her out.

And I suspect that fear will only get heightened by Avengers 2, which will in turn lead us to Civil War.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

XboxPants posted:

I do think Jemma's a super-racist just like everyone else, but I do still feel she's extremely loyal to Coulson. And among her and Simmons, she does have the double agent experience, so, hey, just saying.

I think they were trying to tamp down on that this past episode, with the call from Jemma to Skye, talking about care packages and Solitaire again instead of primarily focusing on how different Skye is, how a cure is imminent, etc. Plus, Jemma not instantaneously siding with Bobbi AND looking toward Fitz for approval before going to aid REELSHEELD as a medic with their disapproving professor gives me hope that she's not completely gone berserk in her hatred for all things not normal.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I like that a couple episodes ago Bobbi gave Jemma that "we're all spies" talk and then doesn't take her own advice.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I was just glad Skye took those gauntlets off right after putting them on. I expected either a) for the electrodes to zap her painfully when she put them on or b) for her to be wearing them when SHIELD shows up, loving up her escape.

Seems like they're just skipping over the popular "Fitz perfects them" theory and having Skye go into Ancient Tibetan Training Cave to master her skills before returning in an episode or two to wreak havoc after Coulson finds her. Hard to know how the Ultron movie might juggle things up a month from now after that.

e: Marvel did a better job than I would've expected keeping the HYDRA stuff in Cap 2 under wraps, including pretty minimal overt foreshadowing in the show. I wonder if Ultron will have a similar big shift unexpectedly, any New Avengers aside.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

BlueBayou posted:

Guardians was a ton of fun in the theater, but I have had no desire to watch it again.

I totally agree with this. It was a fun movie to watch and I enjoyed it, but there's really nothing about it that makes it head and shoulders above everything else. I think more people will share that opinion as time goes on.

XboxPants posted:

I believe you meant to say Fitz instead of Simmons. It is Jemma Simmons and Leo Fitz.

But, regarding Fitz, holy poo poo I hope things get better for him. Seeing how betrayed he was with Ward, and then knowing he's probably feeling the same thing with Mack.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Can someone tell me what happened in the after credits scene? My DVR cut out as Hunter was asking for tiny umbrellas.

I thought they did a pretty good job with Skye's powers considering they make this show on something on the order of 5% per hour the cost of Marvel's movies. She has no idea what she's doing yet and could level an acre of forrest. Destruction on the order of what happened when Thor's hammer meets Cap's shield if I recall correctly!

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Pan Dulce posted:

I think they were trying to tamp down on that this past episode, with the call from Jemma to Skye, talking about care packages and Solitaire again instead of primarily focusing on how different Skye is, how a cure is imminent, etc. Plus, Jemma not instantaneously siding with Bobbi AND looking toward Fitz for approval before going to aid REELSHEELD as a medic with their disapproving professor gives me hope that she's not completely gone berserk in her hatred for all things not normal.

I get the feeling that Jemma will work a bit with Real Shield and their overt distrust of powers will get her to reconsider her own opinions. It just makes sense with the backstory of that professor going toe to toe with some supers for her to be a warped version of Simmons, and the personal connection will make it more impactful to her when she starts talking about containment or whatever.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Pan Dulce posted:

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I 100% thought when Skye's gauntlets lit up, that meant they were gonna be locked onto her and never come off again in some mad attempt to "cure" her power forever, regardless of side-effects. But... then that didn't happen. Jemma was starting to drift too close to villain, so it's good they eased up on that if they're gonna keep her on the team. I totally wanna see her go double-agent against REEL SHEELD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Acinonyx posted:

Can someone tell me what happened in the after credits scene? My DVR cut out as Hunter was asking for tiny umbrellas.

You didn't miss much - they had a little Whedonesque conversation about how he got there then Hunter signed up for team Coulson.

• Locked thread