Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Badger's mind absolutely has logic.

code:
int main(void)
{
    bool Object;

IF(Object == Food)
    {
         Eat(Object);
    }
    else
    {
         Eat(Object);
    }
}

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Adiabatic posted:

code:
int main(void)
{
    bool Object;

IF(Object == Food)
    {
         Eat(Object);
    }
    else
    {
         Eat(Object);
    }
}

Ahahahah

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Adiabatic posted:

code:
int main(void)
{
    bool Object;

IF(Object == Food)
    {
         Eat(Object);
    }
    else
    {
         Eat(Object);
    }
}

:golfclap:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm not sure you have the garbage collection algorithm correct but the rest of that looks pretty spot on.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

kastein posted:

I'm not sure you have the garbage collection algorithm correct but the rest of that looks pretty spot on.

Override the finalizer and call

code:
	Eat(this);

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Stack dump on your kitchen floor

skylineboy08
Nov 12, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

code:
int main(void)
{
    bool Object;

IF(Object == Food)
    {
         Eat(Object);
    }
    else
    {
         Eat(Object);
    }
}

8ender posted:

Stack dump on your kitchen floor

tbh combining these two things isn't far off my main method.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

So my buddy in the RVA Subies group decided he was going to do the following list on his Legacy wagon at my garage this weekend:

Clutch
Header
Up-pipe
Mufflers
Radiator Shroud
Hellas
HID kitzzzz
JDM tail lightzzzzzz
Shifter bushings
Subzzz & ampzzzz
Turbo inlet pipe

When he was going to tell me about this, I'm not entirely sure, as I just found out about his plans through a random post not directed towards me, on Facebook. :mad:

Some people just like to take advantage of a good thing...

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Adiabatic posted:

So my buddy in the RVA Subies group decided he was going to do the following list on his Legacy wagon at my garage this weekend:

Clutch
Header
Up-pipe
Mufflers
Radiator Shroud
Hellas
HID kitzzzz
JDM tail lightzzzzzz
Shifter bushings
Subzzz & ampzzzz
Turbo inlet pipe

When he was going to tell me about this, I'm not entirely sure, as I just found out about his plans through a random post not directed towards me, on Facebook. :mad:

Some people just like to take advantage of a good thing...

On the plus side, thats a lot of getting drunk

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Knowing this dude he'll show up with a 6-pack and a poo poo-eating grin.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

oh look another subaru poo poo dick kid who wants somethin' for nothin'

Fire 'em.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Yeah we're having words right now. I've known him since middle school and apparently that means I charge 1 beer per hour.

:commissar:

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
What an entitled, cheap rear end in a top hat. gently caress that, it's insulting.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

What an entitled, cheap rear end in a top hat. gently caress that, it's insulting.

I just don't understand how people do that poo poo. It's basic courtesy that if you're going to be asking a favor in which you will be utilizing someone else's space/tools/generosity - outline exactly what you're hoping to do out front and negotiate some equitable compensation for time/materials/labor/etc.

Screw him and his entitled selfish attitude.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I can't even imagine being stingy with the beers when you're borrowing an entire lift and garage. A proper sized stack of beers would be like 1/8th the cost of his HELLAS

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Adiabatic posted:

Yeah we're having words right now. I've known him since middle school and apparently that means I charge 1 beer per hour.
:commissar:

This is exactly why I'm not going to announce I have a lift to most of the local groups. I don't mind helping people out and enjoy working on stuff but in the past there's always going to be people who will take advantage of the generosity. I've told the few that have asked rental starts at a case of beer per four hour block.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

8ender posted:

I can't even imagine being stingy with the beers when you're borrowing an entire lift and garage. A proper sized stack of beers would be like 1/8th the cost of his HELLAS

Yeah, it's embarrassing. I've usually gone with top shelf bottles of whiskey for whatever machine shop work, small or big-ish, in the end it averages out to a good deal for both sides. The one exception I made was when I got a lot of bushings pressed in and out, so I went with a nice 3l bottle of crown. If I've done beer it's always been the imported polish beers (zywiec, tyskie, zubr, etc) but that's mostly because I've been dealing with polish guys.

There's got to be a give and take, and if you think about how much your saving by going through a friend rather than an actual shop, you have no reason to be cheap.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Here are the fees that I would levy on anyone that wasn't a bestie:

Small Project in which you do all the work and use my stuff (2 hours)
- 12 pack of swill or 6 pack of good beer
Small Project that requires my help (2 hours)
- 12 pack of good beer

Medium Project in which you do all the work and use my stuff (4 hours)
- 12 pack of good beer
Medium Project that requires my help (4 hours)
- 24 pack of good beer

Big Project in which you do all the work and use my stuff (8 hours)
- 24 pack of good beer and you buy lunch
Big Project that requires my help (8 hours)
- 24 pack of good beer and you buy lunch and I get to drive your car first

With this pricing scheme you will only be paid in lovely beer for jobs that you didn't have to help with.

A buddy of mine just opened a shop in San Diego specializing in Jeeps. He's let me come over any time and use their stuff, it's been awesome. It's really bailed me out a few times already, so I try to make sure they know that I appreciate it. I usually bring lunch with me, and I've already bought and donated a few tools that I needed to the shop since they're just starting up.

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 31, 2015

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Oh God yes. I borrow my friend's shop with lift on occasion, and I always make sure to clean/tidy up after myself, get take away, and sometimes I'll buy him some tools that I know he's missing or bring him some other useful stuff that I have left over. Simply make it easy for them, treat others' stuff and time with respect and you'll get it back tenfold.

Christ, the gall to block your lift for a day, on a weekend, without even informing you first.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
If I had a guy like Adiabatic local to me, I'd keep him stocked with beer. Access to a garage/lift/tools and a 2nd set of experienced hands is a rare thing around here.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Bajaha posted:

If I've done beer it's always been the imported polish beers (zywiec, tyskie, zubr, etc) but that's mostly because I've been dealing with polish guys.

My local LCBO no longer stocks zywiec and it breaks my heart. Labatt 50 is pretty close though.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

TWSS posted:

My local LCBO no longer stocks zywiec and it breaks my heart. Labatt 50 is pretty close though.

Labatt 50 is the gods nectar and I'll have no one convince me otherwise :colbert:

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
So, I have a little mechanic horror story to tell you guys, or at least what I suspect is developing into one. Winter is finally almost gone so after having my car washed last week, this week was time for my fluids getting changed out. The mechanic I had used previously was a bit pricey and tried to upsell every. loving. thing. plus he forgot to put back plastic caps and covers for my car and only fixed it after I insisted they be replaced. So this time I researched a place that came highly recommended with lots of information and reasonable prices. If they had created a massive online paper trail to hide any problems, I certainly am impressed with their thoroughness.

Anyway I had a tire rotation and fluids exchanges (oil, brake, transmission, power steering, coolant) which I typically get done at the same time. Three hours pass and they tell me the coolant is all that's left and that it'll be 20 minutes. Over an hour passes, with me checking in once and a while. Two or three guys peering under my hood. I ask if there's a problem and they say no, before finally relinquishing my car, with a bunch of antifreeze dripped all over my front left quarter panel, a bit on my hood and bumper. I ask them point blank if they'd spilled coolant and they explained yes they had, and I had to ask them to clean it off, which they did (poorly) and I explained if I had any problems with this I would be back. I had to pick up my girlfriend from work so I put as much water as possible, dropper her home, and checked my panel.

By now it was raining a bit so apologies for the quality but I found tons of small paint flecks gone from the left side of my car. Not enough for it to be visible at a distance but about a dozen points on the main area that had coolant on it and maybe another dozen little pinpoint dots of lost paint on the bumper and hood. I race back and reiterate that they had spilled at the very least coolant and may have damaged my paint. Of course, they explain, it's rock chipping, not them. I had enough time to take it to one body shop to ask for an opinion and he agreed but I'm not entirely convinced because I went over the car with a fine-toothed comb after I got it washed last week. Thoughts?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Veeb0rg posted:

If I had a guy like Adiabatic local to me, I'd keep him stocked with beer. Access to a garage/lift/tools and a 2nd set of experienced hands is a rare thing around here.

This A hundred times this. I am in my driveway trying to do a motor pull right now and would kill for a lift/second set of hands. And I would bring tons of great beer. But no around Chicago all the lifts are either super expensive in the suburbs or owned by asshats.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Weird thread to post this in, but I don't think coolant will make your paint fall off.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Larrymer posted:

Weird thread to post this in, but I don't think coolant will make your paint fall off.

Eh, I've had it happen working on something in the past, thought maybe you guys might have had a similar experience and could tell, probably should have gone to the stupid questions thread

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
'Badiatic, that dude is a prick. You should ban him till he makes the proper recompense. (i.e., 6 month self-ban and a keg of your choice donated to you)

e: I say this as a dude who has to bribe his local lift dude with even more to get usual access to his lift without loving anything up/bringing my tools (suburanrurualish NE GA)

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Gladly take the 6-pack to put the car up on the lift, then gladly take a case put the car back on the ground.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

No way possible that antifreeze did this by just dribbling over on to the quarter.

Maybe they dinged your poo poo up somehow but it sure wasn't by dropping coolant on there.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Not even brake fluid can do that kind of damage, and that's probably the most paint-damaging fluid in your vehicle, aside from battery acid. They would have had to spill something crazy like aircraft remover, and that makes paint bubble up and crinkle, not chip off.

The damage in those pictures is due to mechanical impact, probably stone chips.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Thanks for the opinions. I guess I'm just stumped as poo poo then seeing as I had the car washed thoroughly less than a week ago and didn't find any of these when I gave it a once over. What loving luck I have.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Have you been following any dump trucks recently?

Dude and I talked, dude apologized for being an idiot. We're doing his clutch next Monday night and over the next couple days afterwards, to give some time for him to get his flywheel resurfaced, because he "didn't know he needed to do that".

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Have you been following any dump trucks recently?

Dude and I talked, dude apologized for being an idiot. We're doing his clutch next Monday night and over the next couple days afterwards, to give some time for him to get his flywheel resurfaced, because he "didn't know he needed to do that".

Isn't it a dual-mass flywheel on that generation of Legacy GT? I think you need to order a fresh one, friend.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Good call. I'll be sure to text him to research it his drat self ASAP.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Hahahahaha he hasn't even ordered the clutch yet and hasn't decided whether he's buying a new dual-mass flywheel or converting to single but he's ordering them tonight!

HAHAHA :smithicide:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Sounds like you need to let this guy go.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Dude. Fire this guy.

That is going to be a project where you are doing all the work because hes a token idiot loving brobaru owner.

I had one of those projects and NEVER AGAIN. Was supposed to be a motor in and he was going to be "guy who's project it was and he was supposed to have a clue". I was just to help and have the garage.

Turns out I tied up my folks garage for a weekend dressing and installing a motor that had the wrong up pipe and down pipe to finish the job. He got it dropped off in front of his parents house on our trailer with a GOOD LUCK.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Yeah, I just tried to get it in his head how hosed up that is, and he in turn accused me of having a personal vendetta against him. I just told him in the nicest way possible that he isn't welcome here anymore.

Ugh ugh ugh okay no more of this stupid bullshit. This weekend I'm working on the Jeep. Shop's closed to everyone but owners and shop dogs.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Astonishing Wang posted:

Here are the fees that I would levy on anyone that wasn't a bestie:

Small Project in which you do all the work and use my stuff (2 hours)
- 12 pack of swill or 6 pack of good beer
Small Project that requires my help (2 hours)
- 12 pack of good beer

Medium Project in which you do all the work and use my stuff (4 hours)
- 12 pack of good beer
Medium Project that requires my help (4 hours)
- 24 pack of good beer

Big Project in which you do all the work and use my stuff (8 hours)
- 24 pack of good beer and you buy lunch
Big Project that requires my help (8 hours)
- 24 pack of good beer and you buy lunch and I get to drive your car first

This is now in effect. Only family and Kool-aid man get passes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Here's my buddy cheesing with it. he's an AR-15 fan...

You bought the correct rifle :colbert: