Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

its a wednesday and I have opinions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
edit: this^^

I've played a few MMOs and I think Monster Hunter is significantly more enjoyable

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The grind is Real and if you don't like the boss fights (which are way more dynamic and engaging than an mmo's "press your rotation to win fight" gameplay) you won't like the game. But what part of the controls are "bad"?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I hate both MMOs and Monster Hunter.

Have we gone through all possible permutations now?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

So I get to pick one game, and having platinum increases my options?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

the truth posted:

Yes

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

the truth posted:

Yep! Only one game, regardless of status, but platinum members have a bigger list to pick from.

Tender Bender posted:

The grind is Real and if you don't like the boss fights (which are way more dynamic and engaging than an mmo's "press your rotation to win fight" gameplay) you won't like the game. But what part of the controls are "bad"?
They're very, very stiff. If you prefer your action games with a lot of speed and flow, you might not be fond of Monster Hunter's seconds-long attack animations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

The controls are fine, but god the camera is terrible.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I only have 4 of the platinum rewards (MK7, Punch Out, Mario Galaxy 2, and NES Remix 2.) I got a little frustrated with the difficulty of Donkey Kong Country Returns on 3ds and wish you could switch between characters like the original DKC games. I'll still probably get Tropical Freeze because how much people like it here. Tempted to get NES Ultimate Remix for portability but that would probably be dumb since I already have NES Remix 1+2 on my Wii U.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm glad I don't have to pay for Tropical Freeze because I keep hearing it's one of the hardest video games ever made. It'll be nice to have another retail game on my Wii U, and I do legitimately like Donkey Kong.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Louisgod posted:

Oh god here come the MH apologists, thanks y'all.

im always here

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Ended up grabbing a digital copy of Tropical Freeze and then promptly submitted a trade in with Amazon for Tropical Freeze for 24.17 in Amazon credit for my physical copy.

Tropical Freeze is a hard game, but it's a great looking game, is a blast to play and the soundtrack is amazing. Get it.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

I said come in! posted:

I'm glad I don't have to pay for Tropical Freeze because I keep hearing it's one of the hardest video games ever made. It'll be nice to have another retail game on my Wii U, and I do legitimately like Donkey Kong.

It's really not that difficult. Like some other popular 'really hard' games it straddles the fault between difficulty and accessibility while being very polished and fair. It's much easier than Super Meat Boy or anything else in the masocore subgenre.

It's a really good game that improves considerably on DKCR and everyone should give it a shot, especially compared to what else they're giving away.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

I said come in! posted:

It's a reasonably tough platformer, but I wouldn't put its main campaign anywhere near games that specifically aim for "hard." That's what the time trials and extra levels are for.

And yeah, it's by far the best Platinum reward.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ok someone can have my tropical freeze code for $25 pm me <3

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the direct starts in four hours, yeah?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

the direct starts in four hours, yeah?

Yes

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.

Francis posted:

It's really not that difficult. Like some other popular 'really hard' games it straddles the fault between difficulty and accessibility while being very polished and fair. It's much easier than Super Meat Boy or anything else in the masocore subgenre.

A bit more on Tropical Freeze's difficulty. I was able to beat it while collecting absolutely everything in about a week or two of on and off playing. I was playing co-op, though, and my girlfriend had to drop out at World 5 because of the difficulty spike. So if you're planning to play with an SO or a young child, it's probably not the best choice.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In surprised this thread didn't blow up with the platinum stuff announced. Free tropical freeze!

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Any suggestions for those of us that only have gold and a Wii u?

Looking for something with decent local multiplayer for me and the wife. Barring that, I'll just get Advance Wars and not tell her about it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Kris xK posted:

Looking for something with decent local multiplayer for me and the wife. Barring that, I'll just get Advance Wars and not tell her about it.

Advance Wars has hotseat multiplayer I think

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I just bought SSB on Amazon, so I guess I'm out of luck for Mewtwo?

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Red posted:

You'll be able to just buy him as DLC.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Red posted:

I will sell you a code for m2

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Kris xK posted:

The only Gold rewards with multiplayer are Advance Wars and Super Mario Kart. Of the two, Advance Wars is the better bet. SMK isn't a bad game by any means, but it's much harder to control than the later entries. If your wife is into strategy games you might get some gametime out of Advance Wars, and if not, it's a fun game.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What's the best way to watch Nintendo Direct? Can I watch it on TV through Wii U or are the streams easier and faster through a web browser?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Sony bought From Software, are you ready to embrace ten thousand years of Dark Souls????(also King's Field)

I hope Nintendo counters by buying back Banjo kazooie from the hemorrhaging Microsoft Xbox Division.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Housh posted:

What's the best way to watch Nintendo Direct? Can I watch it on TV through Wii U or are the streams easier and faster through a web browser?

wii u has TV?? just watch on youtube I think

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Trasson posted:

The only Gold rewards with multiplayer are Advance Wars and Super Mario Kart. Of the two, Advance Wars is the better bet. SMK isn't a bad game by any means, but it's much harder to control than the later entries. If your wife is into strategy games you might get some gametime out of Advance Wars, and if not, it's a fun game.

Warioware also has some weird two player games that has you both grip the system (or controller in this case) and use one of the shoulder buttons.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wish Nintendo direct would automatically interrupt whatever game you're playing as if it was a broadcast being taken over.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Housh posted:

I usually use the Wii U's Web Browser to go on YouTube and watch them that way. Obviously the quality is going to be based on your connection but it's always worked fine for me.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

greatn posted:

I wish Nintendo direct would automatically interrupt whatever game you're playing as if it was a broadcast being taken over.

No you don't the Xbox one does it and it is awful.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I said come in! posted:

the boss battles are intense and maybe one or two minecart rides are a bit tough but it's definitely not as difficult or designed as lovely as something like Meatboy or any of those garbage twitch platformers where you die 1000 times. it's probably one of the best pure platformers ever made and co-op is quite fun on it. it really shines when you have two people against a boss, which helps a lot.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Though I can't speak to tropical freeze, I'm playing DKCReturns and I think the difficulty is pretty much perfect. Its certainly a bit more challenging than your average 2d platformer, but not by a huge margin. Later stages are about on par with something like super mario 3 if that gives a good indication.

Plus, the game thankfully has a shop that allows you extra lives/hits/invincibility that can aid you without resorting to a superguide.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Though I can't speak to tropical freeze, I'm playing DKCReturns and I think the difficulty is pretty much perfect. Its certainly a bit more challenging than your average 2d platformer, but not by a huge margin. Later stages are about on par with something like super mario 3 if that gives a good indication.

Plus, the game thankfully has a shop that allows you extra lives/hits/invincibility that can aid you without resorting to a superguide.

I'd say most of the difficulty comes from getting used to Donkey Kong's momentum since he feels a lot heavier then the SNES games. Tropical Freeze is also a little bit easier then Returns just because the rocket barrel and mine cart stages give you two hits on default.

Would anyone consider trading me a Wii Party U code for Tropical Freeze?

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 1, 2015

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tropical Freeze owns right? It's the only game on the list I either don't have or am interested in. Guess I'll go for that one.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Sire Oblivion posted:

Tropical Freeze owns right? It's the only game on the list I either don't have or am interested in. Guess I'll go for that one.

Depends on if you like the first DKCR. If you did, you will love love TF.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sire Oblivion posted:

It's easily the best reward both for quality and value.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's easily the best reward both for quality and value.

Unless you haven't played SMG2. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sweet, I'll definitely pick it up when I get home.

• Locked thread