Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

MikusR posted:

Try uninstalling updates and clearing cache to Play Services first.

Yo if you hit "uninstall updates" doesn't it take you back to the version that shipped with the phone? So wouldn't you be missing out on a ton of API updates that could cause your apps to freak out/misbehave? I could def. see an app only checking for the presence of a feature on first run, then just assuming you have it afterward. This sounds like a bad idea and I don't recommend it!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
It will re-update itself promptly anyway. I think it's more a way of "resetting" play services to see if there was some botched update or configuration that was causing problems.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

Yo if you hit "uninstall updates" doesn't it take you back to the version that shipped with the phone? So wouldn't you be missing out on a ton of API updates that could cause your apps to freak out/misbehave? I could def. see an app only checking for the presence of a feature on first run, then just assuming you have it afterward. This sounds like a bad idea and I don't recommend it!!
It wouldn't work anyway as Play Services is updated whether you want it to or not and if an app needs an API in a version you don't have the app refuses to run, dumps you immediately to the Play Store Play Services page and updates immediately without any user intervention.

Clearing the cache only makes Play Services work harder because, duh, it has to rebuild the cache and it will do that whether you want it to or not.

It is not designed to be hosed with.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

Don't they have at least a 14 day return policy??

Yeah it looks like that... it's just a matter of whether the difference is worth my time, since they will charge me a $35 return fee, I'll have to setup my phone and do all the work I have been doing all over again, etc.

edit: it looks like to get it for $399 you have to get it with a Republic Wireless sim. The purely unlocked one is $499

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 1, 2015

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

LastInLine posted:

It wouldn't work anyway as Play Services is updated whether you want it to or not and if an app needs an API in a version you don't have the app refuses to run, dumps you immediately to the Play Store Play Services page and updates immediately without any user intervention.

Clearing the cache only makes Play Services work harder because, duh, it has to rebuild the cache and it will do that whether you want it to or not.

Thanks for the info! Sounds like a dumb thing to do and suggest!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

LastInLine posted:

I'm not sure you can even roll back updates to Google Play Services anymore. At least, I have a 4.4.4 and a 5.1.0 device that grey out "Uninstall Updates".

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

actionjackson posted:

Yeah it looks like that... it's just a matter of whether the difference is worth my time, since they will charge me a $35 return fee, I'll have to setup my phone and do all the work I have been doing all over again, etc.

edit: it looks like to get it for $399 you have to get it with a Republic Wireless sim. The purely unlocked one is $499

The $140 discount doesn't show up until you add it to your cart and proceed to checkout:

That's for a non-fancy back (i.e., not wood or leather,) and just the 16 GB option, but even with adding those features the $140 discount still applies:

Edit: That being said, I broke down and got the Moto X...black front, natural leather back. I remembered that my new credit card has 0% APR for 12 months, so I can pay it off in installments as if I bought it on something like AT&T Next.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 1, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

DrBouvenstein posted:

In a sort of "anti April Fools'" joke, Motorola is oince again offering a discount on off-contract Moto X phone's ordered trough their Motomaker website:
https://www.motorola.com/us/motorola-shop-all-sale.html

You can even sign up to get a code tha is valid until the 15th if you're hesitant about pulling the trigger right now.

I'm this close to getting one...I desperately need a new phone, and it's always been a toss between N6 and Moto X...with the cheaper price and not-as-large screen, I'm going to say the Moto X wins.
Still doesnt have qi.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ilkhan posted:

Still doesnt have qi.

Does have turbocharging which is nice

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

XIII posted:

So, I love my Turbo, but it does two things that are both reeeeeeeeeeally annoying and I was wondering if anyone knew how to “fix”

1. If I get a call while I have headphones in, the volume jumps to the max. This means there’s a spike in whatever I’m listening to, followed by gently caress YOU levels of my ringer, and then, after the call, I have to remember to turn the volume down before resuming my music/podcast (assuming it doesn’t resume on its own). It doesn’t seem to matter what my ringer volume is set to either.
2. If I get a call while I have headphones in or have my phone plugged into an aux port, I’ll unplug it to talk to the person. For some reason, the call will come through on speakerphone and I have to toggle speakerphone on and back off to get it to route to the earpiece. It doesn’t seem to matter if I unplug it before I answer the call or after.

Any ideas?

Quoting myself in hopes of an answer

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

nimper posted:

Does have turbocharging which is nice

Qi charging is nice, Turbocharging is actually useful.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Require More Fire posted:

What's actually useful is not having to fiddle with a cord right before I go to sleep. I don't care about the extra hour or so it takes to charge my phone because I'm sleeping.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeeah. I guess I'll call em later today.

I need it for work though. :v: I'll call Cricket and see what they can do though.

Actually, if you can call your phone and leave a VM on the carrier voice mail, then check it it should remove it too, but it going to GV might make that difficult

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
In terms of cases for the Moto X 2014 it sounded like the semi-official Hula cases aren't that great from reviews. Obviously there's Diztronic, but I'd kinda like a clear case which they don't seem to offer. The Supcase Unicorn Beetle sounds pretty good from reviews, fits well has good cut-outs etc anyone got one?
http://www.amazon.com/SUPCASE-Unicorn-Motorola-Release-Premium/dp/B00NYXRRM4/

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

butt dickus posted:

What's actually useful is not having to fiddle with a cord right before I go to sleep. I don't care about the extra hour or so it takes to charge my phone because I'm sleeping.

One day we'll have wireless turbo charging and it's going to be amazing.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

One day we'll have wireless turbo charging and it's going to be amazing.

I want distance charging. Why even bother putting it on a pad when it can charge from X feet away?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Both are pretty useful for me :shrug:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

The $140 discount doesn't show up until you add it to your cart and proceed to checkout:

That's for a non-fancy back (i.e., not wood or leather,) and just the 16 GB option, but even with adding those features the $140 discount still applies:

Edit: That being said, I broke down and got the Moto X...black front, natural leather back. I remembered that my new credit card has 0% APR for 12 months, so I can pay it off in installments as if I bought it on something like AT&T Next.

Alright I'm going to do that... don't really want to go through setting up a phone again but for that much money in savings it's probably worth it.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Logikv9 posted:

I want distance charging. Why even bother putting it on a pad when it can charge from X feet away?

Standing to close to the charger would irradiate you.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Mooktastical posted:

Someone will find a way to not give you cancer :science:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Logikv9 posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/8/7518559/wattup-energous-wireless-charging-from-15-feet-away-ces-2015

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Mooktastical posted:

It's non-ionizing, just like the radiation you get all day long from the phone in your pocket.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

butt dickus posted:

I agree with this, but I know its a point of contention.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011

ilkhan posted:

I agree with this, but I know its a point of contention.

Not really if you have a Droid Turbo .

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

zocio posted:

Not really if you have a Droid Turbo .

Or a Puerto Rican Brazilian Indian Moto Maxx Turbo.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I use my tylt vu at night and my turbo charger when I'm in a hurry :shrug:

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
The Note 4, Droid Turbo and GS6 already do both and I'm pretty sure so will any phone worth a drat released this year. We don't have to choose one over the other.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Desk Lamp posted:

The Note 4, Droid Turbo and GS6 already do both and I'm pretty sure so will any phone worth a drat released this year. We don't have to choose one over the other.
True.
I really want to Apple bash, but I'll refrain.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Has anyone been having issues with their phone automatically switching to vibrate on it's own since the Lollipop update? It's driving me nuts and really only started when I upgraded.

Eremys
Oct 20, 2004
indigi bought me this account cause I'm a schlub with no credit :(

ilkhan posted:

True.
I really want to Apple bash, but I'll refrain.

Don't know if you're talking about turbo charging but I have both an iPhone and a nexus 6. The iPhone does support high capacity charging when using the iPad charger or the quick charger . They just don't advertise it and its a tiny bit slower than the Qualcomm variety.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a way to turn off Trusted Face without resetting it?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

5.1.1 has started showing up in the SDK manager.

http://phandroid.com/2015/04/02/android-5-1-1/

Maybe THIS is what the N9 is waiting for.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Is there a way to turn off Trusted Face without resetting it?
Nope. Also what's nice about Trusted Face is it's what causes the "Can't connect to camera" bug which plagued the phone at launch.

bull3964 posted:

The N9 is waiting for the SoC to be replaced. Nothing will fix that turd.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bull3964 posted:

I'm still waiting for 5.1 for my Nexus 4, Google! :argh:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Nope. Also what's nice about Trusted Face is it's what causes the "Can't connect to camera" bug which plagued the phone at launch.
The N9 is waiting for the SoC to be replaced. Nothing will fix that turd.
Nvidia can update the optimizer via software and potentially improve performance. It will be awesome when they mess this up and brick a bunch of N9s.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I keep trying to find a US release date for the drat Zenfone 2 and all my Googling has turned up is a very vague "sometime in April". Does anyone have any more info then that?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Captain Yossarian posted:

I keep trying to find a US release date for the drat Zenfone 2 and all my Googling has turned up is a very vague "sometime in April". Does anyone have any more info then that?

Nope. I've been keeping a pretty good eye on that phone since February, but US release date is still very vague. Android Central just announced they're giving away 30 review models in a contest that ends 4/6 so I'd guess we'll be hearing a release date maybe mid-month. I have a trip where it'd be very useful to have that phone coming up on 4/25 so I'm betting the release date will be 4/27 or something. :v:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

I'm not sure if there's any historical basis for this but could it just be a tools/dev fix? I know that it includes a fix for this issue that I reported, for example, which isn't a thing that requires any device-side changes.

Edit:
Yep.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 2, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Motorola found that 5.0.2 wasn't good enough after soak tests so they are scrapping the build and going straight to 5.1 on all of their devices.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/04/02/motorola-1st-gen-moto-x-moto-g-with-lte-and-moto-e-all-jumping-straight-to-android-5-1/

https://plus.google.com/+DavidSchuster/posts/cV4vDyyMmw2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Hey alright, that's nice to hear