Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

You could not pay me money to watch Jack and Jill. :wtc:
It was used as a reward (and totally not a blatant promotion) on Survivor once, I'm not joking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUTsTSxb5O8

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 07:26 on Apr 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Phanatic posted:

The fact that the FBI's priorities in the case don't exactly align with the BPD's priorities in the case is definitely a plot point later on.

Indeed, but the actual "troops" get on fine and are all working happily together towards a common goal. It's the guys above them on the food chain who gently caress up the investigation for them for their own benefit, demonstrating another commonality between the police and the Federal Agents.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Celery Face posted:

It was used as a reward (and totally not a blatant promotion) on Survivor once, I'm not joking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUTsTSxb5O8

Yeesh.

My senior year of high school (:corsair:) they set up a projector in the cafetorium to show Batman and Robin as a reward at the end of the year.

Queue a march out to the parking lot.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I'm no gun realism guy by any means but ever since I saw Jack Bauer show a bunch of schmoes how to convincingly hold a rifle in Season 1 of 24 it throws me off every time I see someone firing from the hip.

edit: Unless that person is Arnold or Stallone.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

OldTennisCourt posted:

This is a general complaint that covers movies AND TV. I've started watching Blue Bloods on Netflix (it's a fun little police procedural show). I really can't stand how Internal Affairs officers are always portrayed as hyper evil douchebags who love going after ~good cops~

Every single show, be it Law and Order, Blue Bloods, CSI or most films about cops, will paint Internal Affairs as cackling monsters who get together to plan how to tar and feather the reputation of any cop who drops a piece of gum on the ground or something.
This always annoys me. The protagonists are always shown to hate corrupt cops, but then they also hate IA, like they're equally bad. You know there are bad cops and you want them caught, but you don't want anyone to investigate them ever. So how do you want this to work?

Anosmoman posted:

The other is fights over jurisdiction. Cops show up to a crime scene but then some FBI/DEA guys in suits also show up and try to use ~~*rules*~~ to steal their case - dickwaving and douchebaggery ensues.
Especially when it's right at the start of the episode, when absolutely no investigation has been done at all. I could understand if it were like "We did all the legwork and now they're going to get the credit" even though that's still dumb because everyone you care about still knows what you did and outside of those people no one cares, but in cases where the FBI shows up when the cops are still at the crime scene and takes over and the cops hate them for it for some reason. They're making your lives easier, guys! This is one less case for you to worry about!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tokelau All Star posted:

I'm no gun realism guy by any means but ever since I saw Jack Bauer show a bunch of schmoes how to convincingly hold a rifle in Season 1 of 24 it throws me off every time I see someone firing from the hip.

edit: Unless that person is Arnold or Stallone.

Yeah when a movie is just completely off the wall like Predator, Rambo II or III or Commando, being completely off the wall is fine. When it's going for gritty realism, fucks' sake, hire someone who knows what the gently caress they're doing. Get George Clooney's character from Three Kings to give you seventeen seconds of instruction on not looking like a fuckhead.

edit: hah, I just watched a clip from Commando, he had his claymores around the wrong way. He would have hosed those walls up good!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Anosmoman posted:

The other is fights over jurisdiction. Cops show up to a crime scene but then some FBI/DEA guys in suits also show up and try to use ~~*rules*~~ to steal their case - dickwaving and douchebaggery ensues.

I love how at the start of the first Matrix movie the policemen go "Aw drat, it's the suits!" when the Agents show up. I think one of them even says "Don't start with this jurisdiction poo poo!" before Smith shuts him down.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

OldTennisCourt posted:

This is a general complaint that covers movies AND TV. I've started watching Blue Bloods on Netflix (it's a fun little police procedural show). I really can't stand how Internal Affairs officers are always portrayed as hyper evil douchebags who love going after ~good cops~

Every single show, be it Law and Order, Blue Bloods, CSI or most films about cops, will paint Internal Affairs as cackling monsters who get together to plan how to tar and feather the reputation of any cop who drops a piece of gum on the ground or something.

Regular Law & Order wasn't actually that bad about it but the spin off Law & Order SVU was the worst. It didn't really help that the SVU cops should be investigated by IA and they should be kicked off the force for all the crap they pull.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Guaranteed that whitewashing will be the Big One for our generation's films. Like you touched on, it's already cringeworthy and it's happening right now. Imagine in 20-30 years when one of our kids asks why a Japanese actor is playing Chinese, Koreans, etc. or any other combination thereof. Or why anyone gave the slightest of shits that Nick Fury/maybe Spiderman/any movie character wasn't white. Etc. etc.

Why are these kids so racist about Asian actors?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
My cop show complaint is how like every other episode the crime or criminal is somehow all THIS TIME IT'S PERSONAL for one of the show regulars. Oh look we somehow got assigned the case with the guy that killed your sister, I'm sure this probably isn't a conflict of interest. I could maybe see this on NCIS because everyone involved is military in some way but poo poo like CSI or whatever it gets really loving dumb super fast. Like how often in a cop's career are they gonna have to deal with something related in any way to their family? Certainly not multiple times a year, unless it's like a trouble teenage nephew of theirs they keep getting out of jail or something.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

Krinkle posted:

My irrationally irritating issue with chappie is that they named it chappie. I could not make a dumber loving name for a robot movie if I tried. There might be some amazing in-movie acronym explaining why his name is chappie but the movie title should have been literally anything else having to do with the tone or themes of the movie itself. Has anyone called someone a chappie in the last 120 years? The movie appears to be about war and violence and what makes you human, anyway, and the title makes me think of a turn of the century music hall ragamuffin cockney street urchin ello my chappies i want some more gruel wot wot.

This is ages and ages and ages old, which will teach me to forget about a thread for so long, but Chappies are a thing in South Africa. They're chewing gum, and it's basically Neill Blomkamp putting another pointless South African thing into a movie, leading to anyone not South African scratching their heads and everyone that is South African going "HURR SOUF AFRICA IN A MOVIE DURR".
It's just as pointless as it is irrational.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

muscles like this? posted:

Regular Law & Order wasn't actually that bad about it but the spin off Law & Order SVU was the worst. It didn't really help that the SVU cops should be investigated by IA and they should be kicked off the force for all the crap they pull.

Man I love SVU but this poo poo was absurd. You'd have Stabler beating suspects and threatening to cut their balls off. Cragen will tell him to get some sleep like he does every time they have a problem, but the MOMENT IA comes in suddenly everyone starts :qq: about the mean old IA jerks who wanna investigate the guy who was assaulting suspects and slamming their heads against the wall.

In all fairness they actually did have a cop on the show get kicked out by IA in Season 1 when it gets revealed she was sleeping with one of the suspects.

I think my favorite absurd cop show moment is actually from SVU. Some doctor figured out some weird thing that basically fools DNA tests, I can't recall what it was. The episode ends with this eerie moment where the music is all dark while the doctor goes "NOW YOU COPS CAN'T JUST RELY ON DNA!" an he gives and honest to goodness evil supervillain laugh. It was insane. SVU is a really dumb show.

OldTennisCourt has a new favorite as of 13:24 on Apr 1, 2015

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

OldTennisCourt posted:

Man I love SVU but this poo poo was absurd. You'd have Stabler beating suspects and threatening to cut their balls off. Cragen will tell him to get some sleep like he does every time they have a problem, but the MOMENT IA comes in suddenly everyone starts :qq: about the mean old IA jerks who wanna investigate the guy who was assaulting suspects and slamming their heads against the wall.

Oh come on - it wasn't even that nice about it. Almost every time IA is involved, it's when a cop actually hasn't done anything wrong. Either they've been framed, or the complainant is lying, or there's a key piece of evidence missing that only the detectives can find (sometimes I swear they have the most incompetent CSU, considering the sheer amount of evidence that Benson & Stabler find).

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Oh come on - it wasn't even that nice about it. Almost every time IA is involved, it's when a cop actually hasn't done anything wrong. Either they've been framed, or the complainant is lying, or there's a key piece of evidence missing that only the detectives can find (sometimes I swear they have the most incompetent CSU, considering the sheer amount of evidence that Benson & Stabler find).

Speaking of CSU, something that always annoyed me was sometimes some dude would give them a piece of evidence at the scene and then make a dark little joke or offhand comment and of loving course Stabler would have to act like the guy just said he was glad the victim was dead or something and get in the guys face. Stabler's "I'M SO loving ANGRY ABOUT CRIME" poo poo got tiring a lot of the time.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

Speaking of CSU, something that always annoyed me was sometimes some dude would give them a piece of evidence at the scene and then make a dark little joke or offhand comment and of loving course Stabler would have to act like the guy just said he was glad the victim was dead or something and get in the guys face. Stabler's "I'M SO loving ANGRY ABOUT CRIME" poo poo got tiring a lot of the time.

Yeah, that was the worst schtick ever, and it was CONSTANT. Whenever anyone even vaguely near related to the case tried to blow off a bit of steam from having to deal with horrific bullshit day in and day out, Stabler would stand up and start screaming or growling at them about how ~*Serious*~ this job is, and how that joke was super duper offensive to the 4 bored crime scene guys and 2 detectives standing near their 5th dead body of the day.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Captain Monkey posted:

Yeah, that was the worst schtick ever, and it was CONSTANT. Whenever anyone even vaguely near related to the case tried to blow off a bit of steam from having to deal with horrific bullshit day in and day out, Stabler would stand up and start screaming or growling at them about how ~*Serious*~ this job is, and how that joke was super duper offensive to the 4 bored crime scene guys and 2 detectives standing near their 5th dead body of the day.

I have to wonder if that's an intentional nod to how Det. Brisco would always make those off-hand comments in the original L&O? Like, by having some no-name CSU tech say it, then Stabler (or sometimes Benson) go off on them, it's lets you know that SVU is more SERIOUS than vanilla L&O and deals with SERIOUS ISSUES!

Light Gun Man posted:

My cop show complaint is how like every other episode the crime or criminal is somehow all THIS TIME IT'S PERSONAL for one of the show regulars. Oh look we somehow got assigned the case with the guy that killed your sister, I'm sure this probably isn't a conflict of interest. I could maybe see this on NCIS because everyone involved is military in some way but poo poo like CSI or whatever it gets really loving dumb super fast. Like how often in a cop's career are they gonna have to deal with something related in any way to their family? Certainly not multiple times a year, unless it's like a trouble teenage nephew of theirs they keep getting out of jail or something.

The worst show when it comes to this that I've seen is Criminal Minds. My girlfriend LOVES this show, so I end up watching a lot of it, and holy poo poo, the amount of personal involvement of the characters in their cases is absurd.

Off the top of my head (spoilers if you care:)
Morgan has a cousin that went missing, and everyone just assumed she was killed by her stalker that she fled. Nope, turns out she was abducted by some guy who Stockholm Syndrome-ed her into a good little sex slave. His sister catches a teensy glimpse of her in a car, so then the whole BAU team has to go investigate, government resources be damned.

Prentis is probably the most absurd...she worked for the CIA, or Interpol, or something and helped bring down some big shot IRA terrorist/weapons dealer. Of course, the only way to get enough info on him was to seduce him, but she fell in love with him! Oh no! Then of course he manages to break out of some North Korean death camp prison and systematically kills all the members of her former Interpol team until the BAU once again has to use all its resources to help her, even though she is in the middle of committing several felonies to try and find/kill this guy.

The Asperger's guy had some flashback/repressed memory and thought his dad was some pedophile/child murderer, but it turns out some guy his father knew was the pedophile, but his father covered it up, or something?

The guy from Dharma and Greg had his wife killed by some serial killer who is such the "perfect serial killer" that he's practically a parody of the "killer is one step ahead of the cops" cliche...but obviously played 100% straight (though I guess to be fair, that's half the drat criminals on this show.)

Inigo Montoya has his girlfriend killed by another perfect serial killer.

The computer chick gets assaulted or abducted at some point, too.

One of the two random blond women who were on the show had a dad who was a serial killer, though he was already in jail or dead, so I don't think much came of that...and I can't recall if the other blond woman had any weird personal involvement.

At least so far, I haven't seen Fat Tony get personally involved, which I hope stays that way because he seems cool. He gives no fucks about serial killers, just wants to get his paycheck, earn his government pension, and go retire to play cards.

I need to get a second TV so I can watch something else when she goes on Criminal Minds binges. :sigh:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

OldTennisCourt posted:

Stabler is funny because anytime IA showed up he'd be the first one to say "Here comes the rat squad." I found his anger more tolerable than Benson's self-righteousness.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Murphy Brownback posted:

Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison are the only Adam Sandler movies that exist to me. All the newer stuff he has been making has been pretty universally terrible. Click was OK I guess though despite the extreme heavy-handed way it bashed you over the head with the "this is where we want you to cry evry tiem" scenes. It's up there with the beginning of "Up" on my list of scenes i'm irrationally irritated about when people gush about how amazing they are.

Wait, people actually gush about Click? That would be pretty rationally irritating.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Captain Monkey posted:

They even tried to justify it with Stabler giving this solemn speech that was like "You know how you know it's time to quit...? When it stops getting to you." Which is hilarious since from every account I've ever heard cops constantly joke about poo poo on the job. When you deal with awful crimes all day you need to have a sense of dark humor or you turn into a raging justice beast like Stabler.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

i watched grown ups 2 for the gently caress of it because it was on the 300s and it was amazingly bad. Like, the scene transitions and scene-to-scene relations are unbelievably loving terrible to the point of it not even being a movie. In one, they do this bad Nick Swardson-is-a-drugged-up-school-bus-driver stealing weekend at bernies gimmick, then the next one is them loving around in K-Mart, with camera pans that say "we were sponsored by K-Mart". The scene is just that. loving around in a K-mart.

I didn't bother with the second one, but the scene transitions were loving awful in the first one, too. Like "freshman video project" bad. At one point, they're sitting around hanging out in the sun and the scene transitions... to the same scene. Same camera angle and everything. I think they were trying to imply that time had passed, but nothing had changed--the lighting was exactly the same and they were all in the same positions.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

OldTennisCourt posted:

They even tried to justify it with Stabler giving this solemn speech that was like "You know how you know it's time to quit...? When it stops getting to you." Which is hilarious since from every account I've ever heard cops constantly joke about poo poo on the job. When you deal with awful crimes all day you need to have a sense of dark humor or you turn into a raging justice beast like Stabler.

in the book Homicide live on the killing street goes into that as its the only way to keep their sanity.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

OldTennisCourt posted:

In all fairness they actually did have a cop on the show get kicked out by IA in Season 1 when it gets revealed she was sleeping with one of the suspects.

I think my favorite absurd cop show moment is actually from SVU. Some doctor figured out some weird thing that basically fools DNA tests, I can't recall what it was. The episode ends with this eerie moment where the music is all dark while the doctor goes "NOW YOU COPS CAN'T JUST RELY ON DNA!" an he gives and honest to goodness evil supervillain laugh. It was insane. SVU is a really dumb show.

SVU was always good about teetering back and forth between gritty realistic issues in criminal investigation and prosecution and poo poo the writer made up because the network told them they already aired a story like that on another show this season so make it a little different. Then all of a sudden you get some batshit mushroom scientist shrieking about poisoning women into sex slavery to fund Coca Cola's union-bashing in South America and STABLER'S DRUNK DAUGHTER IS DOING A SEMESTER ABROAD STUDYING SOUTH AMERICAN UNIONS RIGHT NOW!

The IAB thing is ridiculous but predictable. The leads are "good guys" so naturally IAB is an antagonist. SVU's guy is so over the top it hurts my brain, but Blue Bloods wins for straight up having IAB frame an innocent detective and then investigate said detective. It's hard to have much nuance to a procedural since it's all from a police POV, so of course no one but the most insane police should be investigate and hounded by IAB. Everyone else is a "good person" who should be cut a break because they're "just doing their job."

I'll give the writers and actors credit though, they do a good job of making you dislike someone even if you know in your brain that you shouldn't.

SVU also has my favorite story trope that touches on the "this time it's personal." If you watch enough of it, you'll find the episodes in each season where a detective gets too personally involved and their partner questions them and tries to tell them to back off. You can then watch each partner trade off doing the exact same thing that they just yelled at their partner for doing a few episodes back. It happens pretty frequently. Also the seasonal episode where Ice T gets heavily attached to a woman that needs his help and just ignores all his orders and goes off on his own. It ends with a scene where she thanks him for helping her and he tells her to get right because he knows she can.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Gabriel Pope posted:

Wait, people actually gush about Click? That would be pretty rationally irritating.

I've heard a lot of people who put it on their "saddest movies of all time" list just because of that hospital scene near the end. I don't know if they like the rest of the movie or just that part, but I disagree with them either way.

vv I don't know, I mostly stopped watching since Stabler left. Yeah he was annoying and had anger issues, but to me he and Benson were the face of the show. It doesn't feel the same since he left.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 15:41 on Apr 1, 2015

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Stabler's "I'M SO loving ANGRY ABOUT CRIME" poo poo got tiring a lot of the time.

I really feel like that show needed to rotate its cast years ago. Except for Munch, he was great and I would be happy to see him in every cop show forever. But the rest of them got so repetitive and annoying that I had to stop watching. I gave it another shot when Christopher Meloni left, but Benson seemed to have become even worse than before.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The best part about SVU is that in the seasons on Netflix right now Ice T is the least loose cannon cop they have (aside from Munch).

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The biggest issue is that I loved Vanilla L&O because you could watch any episode in any order and get the full story of that one case. I could not possibly care less about Benson's stepbrother or whatever or Stablers idiot kids. The only time it worked was Ice-T's brother and that was because that guy was probably the best full on antagonist in any L&O show since his entire plan was to just talk about how lovely his whole family was.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Grendels Dad posted:

I love how at the start of the first Matrix movie the policemen go "Aw drat, it's the suits!" when the Agents show up. I think one of them even says "Don't start with this jurisdiction poo poo!" before Smith shuts him down.

Yup! The actual line is even better

quote:

Agent Smith: Lieutenant, you were given specific orders.

Lieutenant: I'm just doing my job. You give me that "juris-my-dick-tion" crap, you can cram it up your rear end.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

DrBouvenstein posted:

At least so far, I haven't seen Fat Tony get personally involved, which I hope stays that way because he seems cool. He gives no fucks about serial killers, just wants to get his paycheck, earn his government pension, and go retire to play cards.

There's one where the case that broke him gets reopened and solved (not really a spoiler), then there's the whole thing with how the Replicator kills Strauss, who Rossi has been dating, and tries to frame Morgan for her death. Rossi is the one who causes the Replicator's death in the end (I'd say kills him, but it's the Replicator's own bomb that kills him).

At least Criminal Minds stopped pretending it was a procedural drama at some point, and flat-out went whole hog into it being more about the team members than the crimes. It's a guilty pleasure.

Also, if you see/hear any episodes about Reid being in love, put in earplugs. Even if you don't like the show, that whole plot arc is kind of cripplingly depressing, and it goes on for a few episodes after the big dramatic moment, which is oddly something they get right, that a character doesn't just magically revert to OK in the next episode.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Murphy Brownback posted:

Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison are the only Adam Sandler movies that exist to me. All the newer stuff he has been making has been pretty universally terrible. Click was OK I guess though despite the extreme heavy-handed way it bashed you over the head with the "this is where we want you to cry evry tiem" scenes. It's up there with the beginning of "Up" on my list of scenes i'm irrationally irritated about when people gush about how amazing they are.

Rewatch Billy Madison, it's really loving bad if you aren't 12 anymore

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Captain Monkey posted:

Every primetime cop show after Homicide:Life on the Streets has been dog poo poo

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Murphy Brownback posted:

Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison are the only Adam Sandler movies that exist to me.

Punch-Drunk Love is a legit good film. But I guess that's an "Adam Sandler movie" in that Adam Sandler stars, but that's it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Light Gun Man posted:

Quoting this from a while back, but I like how House swerved around this. One of the main characters had someone they knew and didn't like become the patient of the week and when they revealed this to House and asked him what they should do he basically just went "Treat him idiot he's your patient :geno:". Then they did!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Punch-Drunk Love is a legit good film. But I guess that's an "Adam Sandler movie" in that Adam Sandler stars, but that's it.

Same with Funny People, which is underrated. Reign Over Me was decent too. But I think "Adam Sandler movies" implies Happy Madison productions.

I also have a soft spot for Mr. Deeds.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

ElGroucho posted:

Rewatch Billy Madison, it's really loving bad if you aren't 12 anymore

I'm wondering whether or not it's wise to admit I did watch it just a couple weeks ago on netflix, and enjoyed it as much as the last 15-20+ times. The song part is cheesy and stupid, I agree, and Happy Gilmore is much better, but it's still alright.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Billy Madison at least gives the audience several indications it knows how stupid it is. His later movies act like the characters exist in the real world.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Same with Funny People, which is underrated. Reign Over Me was decent too. But I think "Adam Sandler movies" implies Happy Madison productions.

I also have a soft spot for Mr. Deeds.

Funny People is just kinda awkward for me, maybe because its too real? Its billed as a comedy but its more like a drama about comedians' lives at times. I remember there's a scene where Sandler is attempting to do stand-up and he's just like "why am I rich? I don't know." and he just kinda rambles on like this mess. And I just remember the whole thing feeling really :jerkbag: and making Sandler look really bad at the same time.

Oh man, I'm not sure why but that reminds me.

Can I just say that the whole "its real wait its a mockumentary wait no it isn't" I'm Still Here with Joaquin Phoenix was weird as gently caress and irritating as hell? I mean what was that film? I guess it was supposed to be some artsy avante garde thing but I dunno, didn't seem like there was any substance to it at all. Just a gimmick stretched out for 2 hours. Maybe I'm not cool enough to get it.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 20:58 on Apr 1, 2015

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Was Billy Madison the one where the guy is mumbling in lightning-fast French and Adam Sandler goes "SLOW DOWN" and the guy repeats himself just as mumblyfast and then Adam Sandler says "Ohhh!" because that was pretty funny.

disclaimer: that is the only part of any Adam Sandler movie I have ever seen

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Henchman of Santa posted:

Same with Funny People, which is underrated.

Nope. There's some really good showbiz satire near the beginning where they make fun of Sandler's lovely movies and Aziz Ansari is incredible as RAAAAAANDY but that movie legit lasted an hour too long and the last 1/3 of the movie is hot garbage. Sandler is pretty good in it though I guess.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I haven't seen any of the Allegedly Funny Adam Sandler Movies; my experience comes from Waterboy and Little Nicky, which are harmless and silly.

Then I watched Jack and Jill. Oh boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Dexter is my favorite example of that. They introduce an IA character in some season and the cops on the show (really just Deb) are immediately like "Oh gently caress you you loving gently caress. I'd kill you if I thought I could get away with it."

Like I'd figure the IA cop would just bust them for attitude at that point.