Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Honj Steak posted:

The same architect did the same thing to the museum of military history in Dresden.

the fact that this guy is getting paid a ton to make complete trash like this makes me angry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Honj Steak posted:

The same architect did the same thing to the museum of military history in Dresden.

I dunno, I think this is a pretty good representational metaphor for the military history of Dresden.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Happy Bear Suit posted:

wasn't there some sort of incident where way too much sunlight was coming in from the windows and causing all sorts of damage to the exhibitions so they had to move everything out?

lmao.

It was originally supposed to be all glass, but they then realized that direct sunlight hitting stuff you usually put in a museum isn't a good idea if you want the integrity of the artwork/artifacts to be maintained. So they had to drastically scale back the amount of glass and sub it for metal siding. The real reason why the addition is mostly empty (discussed earlier in the thread) is that there is no place to put anything. Nothing can hang on the walls because they are all at strange angles, and the addition's extra space is so compartmented and disjointed that even adding small exhibits creates really big flow and floorspace issues.

If you google image search "Royal Ontario Museum Addition" you'll see how utterly useless the added space really is.

Cubey posted:

the fact that this guy is getting paid a ton to make complete trash like this makes me angry

Holy poo poo, this doesn't appear to actually add any usable space whatsoever!

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Honj Steak posted:

Planned 1250 ft (381 m) hotel in Graubünden, Switzerland.

Someone's been playing too much Advanced Warfare

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe

Blistex posted:

Holy poo poo, this doesn't appear to actually add any usable space whatsoever!
i've been to the dresden military museum - that wedge seems to have added an admittedly nice panoramic platform, and a lot of light to the interior of the museum. I'm quite sure it actually reduced exhibition floor space, though.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Flyinglemur posted:

Someone's been playing too much Advanced Warfare

That's a funny way of saying "Half-Life 2"

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Honj Steak posted:

<pounds table> "gently caress MILITARY HISTORY THIS BUILDING IS NOW ABOUT CRISPIX"

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

ddddddffdfddddfddf posted:

That's a funny way of saying "Half-Life 2"

I saw the reflecting tower in the Solar map because I play too much Advanced Warfare :smith:

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Honj Steak posted:

This is not bad. Not Louvre-level awesome, but not bad.

Much better in any case than making ancient looking modern buildings. Behold, a house frmo the 60's:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Honj Steak posted:

Are there more crazy-pyramids-crashed-into-historic museums? This poo poo is completely hilarious

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Two more pictures from inside the Rothko Chapel to give a better sense of scale. The last ones really didn't do it justice.

Remember you're looking at doorways there, so the paintings are pretty huge. And it's dead still quiet (no one talks) and everything echoes. From the goon who said it's some sinister poo poo, and the other goon who said it's a good place to sit and think, yeah it's both:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlgLwppgHCc

It's a non-denominational church. There's various books from different religions near the front. I like to call it the Church of the Existential Void.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Behold, Rochester, NY. Featuring 3 of the strangest buildings in one picture you might ever see. Notice the black box of glass on stilts building in the foreground. Behind that, a flying saucer on top of a building, it used to be a restaurant and it used to rotate 360 degrees. Then off to the right there is a building which, while i was growing up I always thought looked like laser a cannon pointed towards space.

Close up of the laser cannon.

anchoress
Dec 24, 2011

by XyloJW

Honj Steak posted:

i think it's pretty badass honestly

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Honj Steak posted:

I love skyscrapers but holy poo poo no.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

I work in this (the Aon) building in downtown Los Angeles and I have to say that it is the ugliest building ever, it mars the entire skyline. Especially at night, when Aon glows an evil red, and generally it gets foggy enough that you can only see the red at night

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

S'okay, LA has a terrible Skyline anyway, so the damage is pretty minimal.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Skippy McPants posted:

S'okay, LA has a terrible Skyline anyway, so the damage is pretty minimal.

:agreed: it has almost as many people as NYC but yet a skyline that is almost as bad as like Omaha's. 20 million people all spread out in the basin

canis minor
May 4, 2011

anchoress posted:

i think it's pretty badass honestly

This view makes me like it even more - it reminds me of a mineral growing from out of another. I think that, at least for me, it's good that the building stands alone and thus the only thing this add-on clashes with is the building itself, and not the surrounding / skyline; the clash of new and old which is exactly its point.

With the ROM the problem is that the project doesn't really care what else is there - as such it doesn't have a sense of what it represents, it's a mismatch within the surrounding. I don't know anything about architecture btw.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The ROM is a pretty hilarious loving imitation. Canadian exceptionalism :rolleyes:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Honj Steak posted:

I kinda like it tbh :shobon:

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

SirPhoebos posted:

I kinda like it tbh :shobon:

thread title should really be "Architectural failures: I kinda like it tbh"

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Anyone been to Chandigarh?

gently caress you, Le Corbusier. "Residential, commercial, government, whatever, just keep building these:"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Bunch of ugly Finnish churches from the 60s (aka Anti-Devil Bunkers):

Tapiolan kirkko

Huutoniemen kirkko

Järvenpään kirkko

Alavan kirkko

Kennel fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 1, 2015

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Kennel posted:

Bunch of ugly Finnish churches from the 60s (aka Anti-Devil Bunkers):

Tapiolan kirkko

Huutoniemen kirkko

Järvenpään kirkko

Alavan kirkko

Järvenpään kirkko is great. The others are hideous. That looks like a form of architecture well suited to that weather.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Cultural Imperial posted:

The ROM is a pretty hilarious loving imitation. Canadian exceptionalism :rolleyes:

loving Canadians imitating a design by building it four years earlier :rolleyes:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

th3t00t posted:

Behold, Rochester, NY. Featuring 3 of the strangest buildings in one picture you might ever see. Notice the black box of glass on stilts building in the foreground. Behind that, a flying saucer on top of a building, it used to be a restaurant and it used to rotate 360 degrees. Then off to the right there is a building which, while i was growing up I always thought looked like laser a cannon pointed towards space.

Close up of the laser cannon.

Those might be the three strangest buildings in all of Rochester NY!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

canis minor posted:

This view makes me like it even more - it reminds me of a mineral growing from out of another. I think that, at least for me, it's good that the building stands alone and thus the only thing this add-on clashes with is the building itself, and not the surrounding / skyline; the clash of new and old which is exactly its point.

Y'know I get the point of the addition and I kinda like the intention, but the fact they did that poo poo to one of the only historic buildings in Dresden that didn't get obliterated during the war still pisses me off.

Of course I got unreasonably angry every time I saw an old Victorian/Edwardian building get torn down when I lived in Manchester, so maybe I'm the problem.

yoctoontologist
Sep 11, 2011

Omi-Polari posted:

Two more pictures from inside the Rothko Chapel to give a better sense of scale. The last ones really didn't do it justice.

Remember you're looking at doorways there, so the paintings are pretty huge. And it's dead still quiet (no one talks) and everything echoes. From the goon who said it's some sinister poo poo, and the other goon who said it's a good place to sit and think, yeah it's both:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlgLwppgHCc

It's a non-denominational church. There's various books from different religions near the front. I like to call it the Church of the Existential Void.

You can't talk about Rothko Chapel without mentioning the music Morton Feldman wrote for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZZ0DYIkaP8

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
I saw a mention of Edmonton earlier, but how anyone can mention my home and not mention this thing boggles me.

A bunch of mismatched glass, some random melty poo poo plopped on top of it, and an East German outhouse crazy-glued to the side. It's just the ugliest goddamn building in a city full of ugly goddamn buildings.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

yoctoontologist posted:

You can't talk about Rothko Chapel without mentioning the music Morton Feldman wrote for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZZ0DYIkaP8

I have been intrigued by the Rothko chapel for a while now but HOLY poo poo I am going there the next time I am in Houston!

Xotl posted:

I saw a mention of Edmonton earlier, but how anyone can mention my home and not mention this thing boggles me.

A bunch of mismatched glass, some random melty poo poo plopped on top of it, and an East German outhouse crazy-glued to the side. It's just the ugliest goddamn building in a city full of ugly goddamn buildings.

Yeah, that's pretty heinous. GIS turns up some early concept sketches that had more curling metal facade and less glass, which would have been better. loving VE!! :argh:

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

yoctoontologist posted:

Sounds like practically all the music Feldman ever wrote.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

from the china.jpg thread

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Are there any good postmodern buildings aside from the centre pompidou and the lloyd's building

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Are there any good postmodern buildings aside from the centre pompidou and the lloyd's building

The opera in Oslo might count? It's a "white marble at weird angles"-affair, but the acoustics are said to be good, the walkable roof is well visited, and I honestly like how it looks.

It has its share of issues, like some of the marble going yellow and some of the stone tiles being broken by waves, but those are hardly fundamental problems.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

The Iceland opera house (Harpa) is amazing, and the first modern building I've been in that made me feel good spend a lot of time inside looking at all the views and surfaces.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

akasnowmaaan posted:

The Iceland opera house (Harpa) is amazing, and the first modern building I've been in that made me feel good spend a lot of time inside looking at all the views and surfaces.

Was this made by bees?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

The Fox Theater in SF was pretty nice:

It was torn down in the 1960's and replaced with this:

Red Bones posted:

Clifton Cathedral in Bristol, UK.

Giant concrete cathedral? Hard to beat St. Mary's in SF:

There's also a giant concrete substation fortress of doom in downtown:

Authentic You posted:

Out of all those things you posted, this is the one that I found the most repulsive and terrible. I can't really articulate what makes it so weird and wrong-looking - maybe just the whole package of weird top-heavy proportions, overwrought bulbous trim and detailing, and being entirely monochrome. It's like a Beaux-Arts building and a Brutalist building got drunk and then begat this monstrosity.

You shut your whore mouth :argh:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Rah! posted:

The Fox Theater in SF was pretty nice:

It was torn down in the 1960's and replaced with this:

Giant concrete cathedral? Hard to beat St. Mary's in SF:

There's also a giant concrete substation fortress of doom in downtown:

You shut your whore mouth :argh:

The first one which replaced the Fox theatre is awful but that cathedral is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Kennel posted:

Järvenpään kirkko

I went there a bunch as a kid. It's clear that unlike with most of those other concrete churches of the period, a lot of thought went into it! When you step inside it, the combination of unadorned brushed concrete and untreated wood manages to be both strikingly bare and welcomingly warm at the same time, it's a really cool effect.

The acoustics are great, too.

• Locked thread