Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

onemanlan posted:

I don't know if this had been brought up before hand,

Six posts above yours, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ursine Asylum posted:

Oh, for sure.

All that said, I now have an overwhelming desire to go Bond-villain and slice the top 500 meters of Everest off, just so something as dangerous as K2 is now the "highest". :unsmigghh:

I support this

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Default Settings posted:

Found this in the china.jpg thread: The shadow of K2

Holy loving poo poo

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Default Settings posted:

hello new desktop background, but which one will i choose?

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Six posts above yours, haha.

Oops! Thought I scrolled to check. Oh well. The clean up seems like a pretty daunting task for that few people to undertake. I wonder if they're serious about clearing bodies or if it's mostly just rubbish/tanks/etc. Will they treat prayer flags as trash?

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Default Settings posted:

Oh wow, I remember seeing a picture like this in The Summit. I think I can understand risking my life descending during night to catch such a sunset.

Those are just clouds, and I'm p sure your picture is Yemen. :smithcloud:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

onemanlan posted:

Oops! Thought I scrolled to check. Oh well. The clean up seems like a pretty daunting task for that few people to undertake. I wonder if they're serious about clearing bodies or if it's mostly just rubbish/tanks/etc. Will they treat prayer flags as trash?

If they're planning on packing out like 40 pounds of trash each, it's a drop in the bucket. There's hundreds of tons of garbage up there by now.

If the pull down prayer flags without the blessings of the Sherpas, they'll probably cause another riot. But they won't be that stupid.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I watching that video about Eiger and started looking in Wikipedia.

quote:

One of the guides, climbing on another's shoulders, was able to touch the tip of Kurz's crampons with his ice-axe but could not reach higher.

I can't even imagine standing on someone's shoulders to grab at a guy hanging from a rock at 9000 feet.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Literally Kermit posted:

Holy loving poo poo

If you're around to see the shadow of K2 you stuck around too long.

But goddamn.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Fabricated posted:

I'm kinda surprised there isn't a lot of good gopro footage of people falling off mountains.

Like they're climbling and the ice just comes away from the wall and you just get to see a 10+ second fall in first person

wonder if people woudl be quiet or like "WAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGHH"

This isn't a gopro but it is people falling off a mountain

in the zaniest way possible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uBFwqI4TlM

one dude die, last i heard, the other was seriously injured and may die, but that's the news from like a week after I saw this

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What did they expect to happen when rolling a ball down a mountain?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I have no idea but I laughed.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Default Settings posted:

That's.. hmmmmmmmm.... makes u think

I'd much rather die going to space than climbing a mountain

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
My head canon is that Ger got all those Koreans most of the way down until K2 woke from its dark slumber and demanded more skulls for the mountain throne. Climb in Valhalla you drunk Irish bastard. :guinness:

Also K2:Siren is full of skilled people making smart decisions and is awesome for that.

Touching the Void is next.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Madcosby posted:

one dude die, last i heard, the other was seriously injured and may die, but that's the news from like a week after I saw this

I think whoever came up with this idea should be the next one in the ball.

That sounded like Russian, though, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Russians pull some of the nuttiest stunts I've ever seen.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Cojawfee posted:

I watching that video about Eiger and started looking in Wikipedia.

I can't even imagine standing on someone's shoulders to grab at a guy hanging from a rock at 9000 feet.

Toni Kurz has what has to be one of the worst mountain deaths ever.

He's climbing a mountain face literally called the "Murderwall". Of their team of four, one guy gets swept off the mountain by an avalanche, one guy swings into the mountain face on his rope and dies instantly smashing into the wall, and one guy is asphyxiated by the rope. The rescue team can't even get close to Kurz and he spends the night swinging alone and unprotected, dangling on his rope.

He loses a hand to frostbite overnight, cuts the other two bodies loose from his rope and descends as far as he can. The rescuers drop their long rope while climbing and now have only two short ropes that they can get to him knotted together, but Kurz can't descend all the way to safety because the knot is too large to pass through his carabiner. Through heroic effort mentioned in your quote (standing on shoulders) the rescuers get close enough to actually touch his crampons with an ice axe, but it's an unclimbable overhang and Kurz takes hours slowly dying of exhaustion and exposure literally feet away from his rescuers.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Madcosby posted:

Lmfbo can't wait till someone tries to hamster ball down Everest.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

gohuskies posted:

Toni Kurz has what has to be one of the worst mountain deaths ever.

He's climbing a mountain face literally called the "Murderwall". Of their team of four, one guy gets swept off the mountain by an avalanche, one guy swings into the mountain face on his rope and dies instantly smashing into the wall, and one guy is asphyxiated by the rope. The rescue team can't even get close to Kurz and he spends the night swinging alone and unprotected, dangling on his rope.

He loses a hand to frostbite overnight, cuts the other two bodies loose from his rope and descends as far as he can. The rescuers drop their long rope while climbing and now have only two short ropes that they can get to him knotted together, but Kurz can't descend all the way to safety because the knot is too large to pass through his carabiner. Through heroic effort mentioned in your quote (standing on shoulders) the rescuers get close enough to actually touch his crampons with an ice axe, but it's an unclimbable overhang and Kurz takes hours slowly dying of exhaustion and exposure literally feet away from his rescuers.

Yeah but that canasian lady died because some lazy sherpa wouldn't drag her back down the mountain.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah but that canasian lady died because some lazy sherpa wouldn't drag her back down the mountain.

Think of all the lives that could be saved if they had this technology: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=plastic+sled

Seriously, Everest mostly isn't mountain climbing, it is extreeeeeme hiking. Her sherpas claim that for a while she was leaning on the two of them barely able to move her feet. Surely pulling someone on a plastic sled would be easier than drunk walking them along the ice? At least for the parts that are just walking generally downhill toward camp, the failing climber would still have to make it over the parts that involve ladders.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QliBL-AQiAY

People tend to make a yelp when they start falling, but then shut up until they hit poo poo.

It's gone now but this video used to have the only YouTube comment ever that made me laugh.

'Sickest line I've ever seen bro'

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

onemanlan posted:

Well after last year, they're obviously not working.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Madcosby posted:

Most people die on descent, so I'mma climb K2 and then zorb my way to the bottom.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

unpacked robinhood posted:

Take all the poo poo and garbage off everest and add some extra meters to K2 and you have a murderous poo poo mountain people are eager to climb

From my understanding, which might be wrong, K2 is actually "taller" than Everest during some winters because of how snow accumulates on K2 vs Everest.

So someone needs to start running winter summits of K2.

Also, McKinley (Denali) is taller than Everest, if you're measuring base to peak. In fact, if you measure like that and leave the Hawaiian islands out of the calculation (they're mostly underwater)*, McKinley becomes the tallest mountain in the world. :911:

*Mauna Kea (the big island) base (sea floor) to peak is 10,200m (roughly). Only 4,000 or so meters of it are above sea level.

Edit

Also, hate to break it to the Bitcoiners, but the peak of Chimborazo is actually the closest spot on earth to the moon and the farthest part of the earth's surface from its center. This has to do with Chimborazo's closeness to the equator and the earth not being a perfect sphere, but instead bulging in the middle.

So if you measure from the earth's center, Chimborazo is the tallest mountain in the world.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 2, 2015

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

ZombieLenin posted:

From my understanding, which might be wrong, K2 is actually "taller" than Everest during some winters because of how snow accumulates on K2 vs Everest.

So someone needs to start running winter summits of K2.

Also, McKinley (Denali) is taller than Everest, if you're measuring base to peak. In fact, if you measure like that and leave the Hawaiian islands out of the calculation (they're mostly underwater), McKinley becomes the tallest mountain in the world. :ca:

I highly doubt your first statement is correct. That would be a 250 meter snow drift in an area that is completely exposed. That is the equivalent of like an 60 story building. Although I do know there is a mild controversy about the "actual" height of Everest as the Chinese don't include the snow/ice cap and westerners do. However, I believe the difference between the two is in the range of 5 meters.

Apparently, there is a lot more controversy over the actual height than I thought. Some guy even tried to prove that K2 was taller, but his methodology was apparently bunk.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/1673089/Height-of-Mount-Everest

Gripen5 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 2, 2015

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Gripen5 posted:

I highly doubt your first statement is correct. That would be a 250 meter snow drift in an area that is completely exposed. That is the equivalent of like an 60 story building. Although I do know there is a mild controversy about the "actual" height of Everest as the Chinese don't include the snow/ice cap and westerners do. However, I believe the difference between the two is in the range of 5 meters.

Apparently, there is a lot more controversy over the actual height than I thought. Some guy even tried to prove that K2 was taller, but his methodology was apparently bunk.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/1673089/Height-of-Mount-Everest

I can find lots of references to that first fact being true, but none of them with corresponding citations to the actual data... so, yeah it's definitely questionable.

Wasabi the J posted:

Lmfbo can't wait till someone tries to hamster ball down Everest.

PostNouveau posted:

Most people die on descent, so I'mma climb K2 and then zorb my way to the bottom.

That actually looked fun. Not so much after I found out people died.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 2, 2015

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

Google has set up a Virtual Trek of the Khumbu region complete with videos and popup information on the areas in and around Everest.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Where can I read more about K2 killing people

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Am I too late on the death pool? I vote 57. An entire ice shelf comes down and flattens everyone at once. Another 3 people die trying to rescue others. Bonus points if it was caused by someone attempting to rock out on the mountain.

The rocker is unharmed :kamina:

Also, OP needs to include a list of good mountain climbing movies both fact and fiction.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Philosopher King posted:

Am I too late on the death pool? I vote 57. An entire ice shelf comes down and flattens everyone at once. Another 3 people die trying to rescue others. Bonus points if it was caused by someone attempting to rock out on the mountain.

The rocker is unharmed :kamina:

Also, OP needs to include a list of good mountain climbing movies both fact and fiction.

Wait, there's sea ice on Everest? I never knew that.

Pretty neat!

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

Picnic Princess posted:

Pretty neat!

It had to go somewhere after disappearing from the arctic.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

ZombieLenin posted:

That actually looked fun. Not so much after I found out people died.

Make a Zorb of sufficient thickness that it (and the people in it) can survive terminal velocity, then sell them to people at the summit of Everest.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Ursine Asylum posted:

Make a Zorb of sufficient thickness that it (and the people in it) can survive terminal velocity, then sell them to people at the summit of Everest.

Fall in a crack in the ice in a zorb. Die of starvation while people look at you and point from the surface.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

Ursine Asylum posted:

Alternatively to a Zorb you could use ski's if the terrain allows it and you have a death wish. This method was evidenced in Mount St. Elias on Netflix. The doc isn't the best mountain doc I've seen, but holy poo poo there are some scenes within it where they're skiing down what appears to be a near vertical face on the mountain. I think the plan in the doc, which I was falling asleep watching, was that they were to climb it and ski back down for a quick descent. They're attempting a plan another 3 man group previously attempted, in which the climbers rushed their descent, and 2 of the 3 men died.

Here is a trailer for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NfXQe4gThA
Edit - Found a video of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jadhBZQeBw4

Wish I could find the skiiing clip because it's really the show-case of the whole thing. While the guys in it are mildly likeable there is this one Euro guy, Axel(in the vid), who's leading the ski descent and supposed to be communicating with his partners higher up. Well he often doesn't listen to them and just takes it for what it's worth - another guy is bitching at him for being too reckless and he keeps responding "why you so bitching?" every other line. That in itself was funny.

onemanlan fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 3, 2015

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

krampster2 posted:

Do you guys reckon Sherpas just tell climbers they they won't be able to make it and should turn back because they're slack and don't wanna go up the big mountain for the 100th time? That's what I would do.

Or is it that thought that leads to silly people dying after they ignore their Sherpa.

Do they get bonus pay for successful summiting?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ImPureAwesome posted:

Do they get bonus pay for successful summiting?

People can tip their sherpas. Dead people tip poorly.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
So, as climbing season often makes me do, I've been reading and watching a lot of the same climbing books and movies over again. This time around I really started thinking about Sherpas and HAPs...

So does anyone know:

1. Do Sherpa women ever work as mountain guides? I've yet to read about a Sherpa woman who was.

2. Do ethnic/cultural Sherpas also live in Tibet? I'm curious about the Sherpas who are involved with attempted accents from the North side of Everest. Are they really Sherpas or another Tibetan ethnic group? If they're Sherpas do they live in China or does China make it easy for Nepalese Sherpas to cross into China to work on the mountain?

3. My question about HAP in countries like Pakistan is this: are these HAPs part of a ethnic/cultural/tribal group similar to the Sherpas? If not are they locals? Has any testing been done on them to see if, like the Sherpas, they're genetically predisposed to handling high altitude better than people born and raised at sea level?

Sabaka
Aug 12, 2005
It occurs to me that the reason Russell Brice consistently and loudly condemns guides and sherpas for failing to rescue hopeless climbers has nothing to do with what he actually believes and everything to do with marketing. People want to hire the guy that believes the most important thing in the world is to protect clients at all costs. He probably quietly cheers every time a tourist dies, but could never say anything like that for the sake of maintaining his business.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

Pretty neat!

How else do they surf down it?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Sabaka posted:

It occurs to me that the reason Russell Brice consistently and loudly condemns guides and sherpas for failing to rescue hopeless climbers has nothing to do with what he actually believes and everything to do with marketing. People want to hire the guy that believes the most important thing in the world is to protect clients at all costs. He probably quietly cheers every time a tourist dies, but could never say anything like that for the sake of maintaining his business.

Nah. Hes always the first to pull the plug on his groups climbs, like the season when the canadian lady croaked. Hes the real deal afaict

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I wonder how much of that was him whoring for money and how much of that was the editors of the piece having an agenda?

• Locked thread