Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What if Daredevil is actually terrible and this is all an extremely elaborate April Fools Day joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
All the good reviews could turn out to be April Fools pranks.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I'm just getting caught up on the last few episodes of SHIELD but I have to say that Adama running another, independent "new" SHEILD splinter group is dumb and hilarious and awesome all at once.

Also, sheer amount of metas or supers or whatever they call them sort of feels like it undermines the movies a little bit

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think they've settled on 'enhanced' as code for 'has powers but is not an Inhuman'.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Did they ever refer to that lady with finger knives as an enhanced? If so their criteria may be a little...

...dicey.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhh

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well, on the one end of the scale you've got Mrs Knife-fingers. On the other you have the Avengers. The universe has it's checks and balances.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Holy poo poo, Olmos is literally(literally) just playing Adama again. This is spectacular.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

omg chael crash posted:

I'm just getting caught up on the last few episodes of SHIELD but I have to say that Adama running another, independent "new" SHEILD splinter group is dumb and hilarious and awesome all at once.

Also, sheer amount of metas or supers or whatever they call them sort of feels like it undermines the movies a little bit

It's a good buildup to Civil War though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They would never setup the movies on TV!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Barry Convex hacked your account??

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

I want to this slap fight to keep going, make it seem like Fury is just kind of ignoring it in Ultron.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I stand by everything I said about SHIELD's narrative relevance to the films, or rather lack thereof. Feel free to think what you want of that.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Given the last few episodes, I am starting to think Barry Convex is more right than wrong. Like I said before though, we will know for sure come Avengers 2 (or if the show wraps up this story arc in a way that it automagically never needs mention in any movie in the near future.) The fact that Fury is in the trailers for the movie means either the show will be outright buried by the film (as in, Fury basically disavowing any knowledge of SHIELD continuing past the events of WS) or the show will at least be acknowledged in some way (and how much remains to be seen.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Barry Convex's thing was actually about Inhumans.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Barry Convex's thing was actually about Inhumans.

That was one of his points, but he has always maintained that the show generally will have no effect on the movies. He doubled down on Inhumans though, almost to comedic effect.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

ToastyPotato posted:

That was one of his points, but he has always maintained that the show generally will have no effect on the movies. He doubled down on Inhumans though, almost to comedic effect.

They wont make the show required viewing for the movies, I think that much was always clear.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Yeah, and I doubt the SHIELD team will show up in the big final battle in Infinity War or any of the other films.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Dacap posted:

Yeah, and I doubt the SHIELD team will show up in the big final battle in Infinity War or any of the other films.

I dunno, I wouldn't be surprised to see Coulson at least in "Civil War". Phil's had a movie presence before the show, so it would make sense for them to bring him back for that kind of story.

That said, I think it'd be fun if they had some kind of super-spy reunion mission and have May, Bobbie, Clint, and Natasha all working the same job. Maybe even have Clint and Bobbi really hit it off....

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I don't think making the show required viewing is the only option for it being a proper part of the MCU. Most of the movies are barely required viewing for any other film that isn't a direct sequel. It's about acknowledgement, in the narrative sense. The show doesn't use massive amounts of cameos and cut a ways to the films, but it acknowledges them as part of their universe. The movies, at least the ones that SHOULD relate to SHIELD in some way, could do the same without needing cameos from the show in there.

Right now we have a movie coming up that is post Winter Soldier and post fall of SHIELD. Natasha leaked all the SHIELD secrets to the public, most people think Fury is dead, but we know from the trailers he will show up and reveal that to be a lie, along with Maria Hill working for Stark (and she knows that his buddy Coulson is alive too.) If after all of these things falling into position the topic of Coulson does not come up and the topic of SHIELD, which has continued on TWO fronts even though Fury told Cap that it basically wouldn't, doesn't come up, then Convex is probably right, and the movies don't really want poo poo to do with the show. At that point they would be actively going out of their way to avoid touching the show.

And again, to clarify, because people keep trying to make this a point, you don't need the cast of AoS to pop up in any of this to address AoS within the MCU within the narrative itself. Fury and Hill are fully capable of filling that role. Best case, you get Coulson.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

ToastyPotato posted:

Right now ... most people think Fury is dead, but we know from the trailers he will show up and reveal that to be a lie,

Do you think Coulson, or anybody on Team Bus, told Bobbi that Fury is still alive?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

howe_sam posted:

Do you think Coulson, or anybody on Team Bus, told Bobbi that Fury is still alive?

Did they get lanyards?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

howe_sam posted:

I have no idea what the people within SHIELD know because I honestly haven't kept track. We know from the last episode that Team BattleSHIELD weren't in on the ruse during the fall of SHIELD.

Team Bus should know because Fury helped them. He rescued FitzSimmons on his helicopter and he aided the team on the raid against CyberTek. Whether Coulson and Co. filled in the rest, I don't know.

Also my comment was mostly assuming that Banner and Stark might not know, but thinking about it, if Sif knows, then wouldn't Thor, and if Natasha and Rogers know, then wouldn't Stark and Banner and Clint find out? I dunno. It just seems like a really dumb thing to resolve off screen though, considering that his death was a catalyst for them working together in the first place. That's why I am hoping this is brought up in the movie, because it is kind of an important plot point, especially in an Avenger's sequel... unless the show doesn't actually matter.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Coulson specifically asked Sif not to tell Thor, and so she probably didn't. I mean, she's got better things to do with her time.

I dunno about Age of Ultron, but it would be a waste for Skye to not appear in Civil War, at least.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

Coulson specifically asked Sif not to tell Thor, and so she probably didn't.

Yeah I couldn't remember if that was a thing or not. I guess Heimdall opted to just keep quiet this whole time for no reason too.

At this point, so many people tied directly to the Avengers know (or may know, since we don't know if the TAHITI project was in the SHIELD files Natasha dumped) that it would be reaaaaally strange for that plot thread to go unresolved in the next film.

As for Skye, I can see her never having to show up in Civil War. I mean, it probably wouldn't make too much sense but I can see them fudging a way for her to not have to be involved despite being a powered member of SHIELD.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't think it's at all a stretch to say that nothing that ever happens on AoS will have any relevance on the films. Yeah, Coulson could show up again, but even that I wouldn't take as a given since his role in the film universe is kinda over. The show's position in the greater MCU scheme is to serve as a marketing tool, it will always be second rate. I think it's a good show, but it's just not realistic to expect it to have any influence at all.

ToastyPotato posted:

At this point, so many people tied directly to the Avengers know (or may know, since we don't know if the TAHITI project was in the SHIELD files Natasha dumped) that it would be reaaaaally strange for that plot thread to go unresolved in the next film.

Not really. They are going to be way too busy with Ultron to give a poo poo about Coulson. Outside of Nick Fury showing up I don't think there's any reason to believe SHIELD will even be mentioned in the film.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

Coulson specifically asked Sif not to tell Thor, and so she probably didn't. I mean, she's got better things to do with her time.

Thor is living on Earth after Thor 2, anyway.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

BrianWilly posted:

"Don't mess up the movie continuity, Sif!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't think it's at all a stretch to say that nothing that ever happens on AoS will have any relevance on the films. Yeah, Coulson could show up again, but even that I wouldn't take as a given since his role in the film universe is kinda over. The show's position in the greater MCU scheme is to serve as a marketing tool, it will always be second rate. I think it's a good show, but it's just not realistic to expect it to have any influence at all.

Not really. They are going to be way too busy with Ultron to give a poo poo about Coulson. Outside of Nick Fury showing up I don't think there's any reason to believe SHIELD will even be mentioned in the film.

If SHIELD ever comes back in the movies (and it presumably will in Civil War) they will have to acknowledge the show.

Unless they somehow reset SHIELD to exactly its post-Cap 2 status before the movie comes out.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

Given that the next couple of films seem to deal a lot with accountability and trust and secrets (something that started with Winter Soldier), it would be pretty bad story telling to ignore something as big as Fury's "resurrect an Avenger via alien tech" secret program. Especially when the only successful subject was someone who had ties to the team. That would just be lovely story telling, and if they didn't want to deal with it then they probably shouldn't have made a whole show based around it, imo. Instead of being part of a greater story, it makes the show come off like some lowly fan fiction.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
I'd be shocked if they didn't just play it off as a gag.

"So you faked your death?"
"Nope. Really died."
"But how are you..."
"Classified. But nice to see you, Cap. You don't know what happened to my trading cards, do you?"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'd be surprised if Coulson ever appears in the films again as long as SHIELD is on the air. The shooting schedule on a 22 episode a season tv show is really loving demanding, it's one of the reasons tv stars almost never star in more than one movie a year, and usually something low key built around their schedule. Clark Gregg might have time for a quick cameo is the shooting schedules line up, but since the Marvel films run a pretty tight ship, it's doubtful they'd do much to make it easier for him, and they probably wouldn't write him into the script if they weren't sure he'd be able to appear at all.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI2JWIN1zMQ

This show is gonna be good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
"Do you believe in the devil, Father?"

Fffffuck, why isn't it next Friday right now!?!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

lomzus posted:

Laura Prudom @LauInLA
Also, #Daredevil has the absolute best fight scenes on "television," bar none. It's not just cinematic, it's utterly breathtaking.

The action set pieces in DeKnight's Spartacus were pretty amazing too. That standard is pretty high to match, so I'm expecting to be blown away with Daredevil.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

"Do you believe in the devil, Father?"

Fffffuck, why isn't it next Friday right now!?!

I'm really worried I'm gonna watch the whole thing in a row. Is it 10 or 13?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I'm really worried I'm gonna watch the whole thing in a row. Is it 10 or 13?

I work the weekend, so it's going to be a two day affair for me.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

All the trailers make it look like a duller S1 of Arrow, even with a villain wanting to make the city "reborn from the ashes" (which is sooo not Kingpin, but whatever, let them roll).
Arrow turned out to be entertaining because it embraced the superhero comic book plotting and ridiculousness; if Daredevil really delivers on violence and fights it could be cool in a different way, but TV directing is a huge roadblock to that.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

fatherboxx posted:

All the trailers make it look like a duller S1 of Arrow, even with a villain wanting to make the city "reborn from the ashes" (which is sooo not Kingpin, but whatever, let them roll).
Arrow turned out to be entertaining because it embraced the superhero comic book plotting and ridiculousness; if Daredevil really delivers on violence and fights it could be cool in a different way, but TV directing is a huge roadblock to that.

Arrow S1 was insired by Batman Begins, which was inspired by Batman Year One, which was Frank Miller bringing his Daredevil sensibilities to Batman.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Apr 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This looks like a real show instead of like a CW show, so it has that going for it.