Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well that explains why Sams Club and Costco call it a Membership desk. I'd never thought about it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
I work for an msp and the only time I say users is when I need to refer to them as they relate to technology (as in: if we implement change X, users will receive notification Y) and typically only with my technical coworkers. It's definitely not intrinsically insulting, and while I know that isn't the situation in this case, I've worked with a number of people who are unable to see how impersonal it is (especially in cases where they're using it to refer to the very person they are having the conversation with).

TWBalls posted:

Some people complain about the sediment in the coffee with a french press.

I use a French press when I make coffee for myself, but if I could only have one type of coffee the rest of my life it would be, no question, Turkish coffee. Maybe I should just move on to eating beans.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Traffic Reporter posted:

I work for an msp and the only time I say users is when I need to refer to them as they relate to technology (as in: if we implement change X, users will receive notification Y) and typically only with my technical coworkers. It's definitely not intrinsically insulting, and while I know that isn't the situation in this case, I've worked with a number of people who are unable to see how impersonal it is (especially in cases where they're using it to refer to the very person they are having the conversation with).

I use operate a French press when I make coffee for myself, but if I could only have one type of coffee the rest of my life it would be, no question, Turkish coffee. Maybe I should just move on to eating beans.
Stop de-humanizing yourself with the term "user". :colbert:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well that explains why Sams Club and Costco call it a Membership desk. I'd never thought about it before.

You have to actually pay for a membership in those stores to be allowed to shop there, so there's that too.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Ynglaur posted:

Stop de-humanizing yourself with the term "user". :colbert:

I frequently serenade myself with Bill Withers, does that count?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=1ROGOHNSEBs

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

skooma512 posted:

Offsite is crawling up my rear end about the wifi. One AP serving 3 computers is down and it's an :siren: EMERGENCY :siren:. 2 of those computers are mainly used to print random poo poo and store photos of the preschoolers (which is a rant for another day)

The daycare center on campus has iMacs in the classrooms, used mainly for photos. We keep telling them to tape over the DVD drives, but every month we have to open one up out to get a camera's memory card out. And on an iMac that means taking the glass off and unhooking four cables by reaching under the LCD panel before you can remove it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
It seems your users have developed a malfunction. I would replace them immediately.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Sickening posted:

It's like you read my mind!
Kiss me, you fool.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Traffic Reporter posted:

I don't think I've seen anyone use the term "user" but "client" gets bandied about a bit. But that's more for end users (ha!) on wireless networks, and client is much better than the correct term of "supplicant".

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Che Delilas posted:

You have to actually pay for a membership in those stores to be allowed to shop there, so there's that too.

If they didn't require a membership, they would just have called it a Customer Service desk. I was saying that's why they don't call it a Member Service desk.

Or maybe not, maybe the adolescent jokes never crossed their mind, and it focus grouped better or something.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

MrMoo posted:

Check the bits run by Savvis, I get to watch in amazement the hurdles someone has to jump through to get to their machines. NJ2 and CH4 being the primary data centres under target here.

Actually not that bad. Remote to a bastion server and then from those it's pretty much wide open. DNS is seven layers of hosed though.

Speaking of, NJ2 can get hosed. I had a DC tech call me to report a smoke alarm. Found the server, he notes a burnt smell. I confirm on the server one of the two power supplies is hosed. He pulls it and confirms burning smell. I tell him I'm ordering a new one. He replies with this gem "So what should I do with this one. Should I put it back in?"

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If they didn't require a membership, they would just have called it a Customer Service desk. I was saying that's why they don't call it a Member Service desk.

Or maybe not, maybe the adolescent jokes never crossed their mind, and it focus grouped better or something.

Oh right, the penis joke, I had forgotten :buddy:

Honestly it's probably because that's where you go to sign up for a membership. In my experience, decision-makers for big businesses almost never have the awareness to perform a "how can this sound really bad" test on their slogans and names for things.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'm just going to offload a couple of thoughts because why not? Sometimes people like my ramblings.

First, the project manager I was complaining about earlier. Here's proof that even though I may need to wonder at your stupidity from time to time, if you're on my team, you're on my team. It turns out one of our guys misunderstood a project. That's fine. He needs to work with someone else on the team. This is also fine. Two people on the same team will have a half hour meeting, knowledge will transfer, job will get done. Except for guy who misunderstood it, to further deflect from his own responsibility, sends the project manager an email with me copied, requesting that the PM set up a meeting between the two relevant parties. Fool, you copied me on this asinine request? Set up a meeting between two people on the same team? Walk down the hall, pick up a phone, send an email, it's your coworker, just talk to the guy. We're not going to get into a situation where you're late on this project and your excuse is that the project manager didn't schedule this call soon enough. Take some responsibility.

Next, a positive note. If you have the chance to work from home, do it. This poo poo is thoroughly good, to quote Louis CK. I can not stress how nice it is to work from home. I put in my 40 hours, I assure you, but the amount of bullshit that I avoid on a weekly, no, a DAILY basis, is just staggering. No commute, no traffic. Up late? Nap because I want to. You know how bosses tend to be... the word isn't intimidating but, the boss asks you to do things and you need to do them? I'm impervious because I don't have to see anyone. Everything I do is voluntary. Video games, music, movies, CBTs, reading - these aren't things I do after work, I do them DURING work. I don't know the dollar amount, but working from home is worth probably $50k alone to me, just because of how amazing this is.

Third, is there anything worse in the world than a person who thinks you care how they handled things at their last job? One example of many - oh the helpdesk deleted accounts at your last job? Should I take that to mean you lack the knowledge to delete an account and that I should work on hiring someone with the appropriate Active Directory experience? (Note: This is in a highly secure environment with tightly restricted access, I am not talking about our corporate environment, of course a senior sys admin would not be deleting users in an environment with 22,000 users.)

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Next, a positive note. If you have the chance to work from home, do it.

:agreed:

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Third, is there anything worse in the world than a person who thinks you care how they handled things at their last job?

I actually bring this up regularly whenever people complain about how "processes" are "getting in the way" of our "development". My last job used sourcesafe, sometimes*, and couldn't roll back our game engine. Instead of "We're about to ship" -> "Something broke" -> "Roll it back and ship", it was "Something broke" -> "20 hour days until the thing that is broken is fixed" -> "Ship with 2 hours of QA on the new game engine and pray".

*And by "sometimes" I mean "one person working on a codebase might occasionally remember to check stuff back in, but as soon as two people were working on it they were using the admin account to force-overwrite the sourcesafe lockout six or seven times a day to check out every file in the repository"

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

loving programmers:

Just use goddamn 24-hour time and if you have to be an idiot about it make sure you specify AM/PM. :sigh:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Wanna bet it uses a hacked-together 12 hour clock internally as well, instead of using the system's time functions?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
There's a little sign that says "This device is now voice operated" next to the badge reader today.

And so begins the tediously unfunny April Fools day.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Probably stored as a VARCHAR instead of a DATETIME (use a DATE you fucks :argh:) as well. At least the start and end date are different...

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Just had to debug somebody's lovely Excel interface to an Access file.
code:
sql = "INSERT INTO TABLE (Foo, Bar, Baz) VALUES (" & varFoo & "," & varBar & "," & varBaz & ")"
db.Execute sql
Some people should not be allowed near SQL. Or VBA for that matter.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Volmarias posted:

There's a little sign that says "This device is now voice operated" next to the badge reader today.

And so begins the tediously unfunny April Fools day.

Cheer up with this at least slightly amusing site: http://cam.birchenallhowden.co.uk/

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Is so weird to be actually caught up on this thread.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Everything I do is voluntary. Video games, music, movies, CBTs, reading - these aren't things I do after work, I do them DURING work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiFaM_ZhlhA

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Diversion time.

First of all, hilarious. Second, funny to me that you brought them up - we've been working through a TV show back log and Peep Show and the Mitchell and Webb Look are two shows I'd thought about watching that I am now like, eh, is my life really going to be that much better if I watch these shows? There has to be a line somewhere where you say, okay that's enough television, and I'm thinking about taking a pass on these shows. Suggestions?

Or did you just link a funny video and I completely overreacted?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
That Mitchell and Webb Look is one of my favorite shows in the world. Peep Show is alright. Unfortunately I think you missed the Netflix boat on both of them.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Diversion time.

First of all, hilarious. Second, funny to me that you brought them up - we've been working through a TV show back log and Peep Show and the Mitchell and Webb Look are two shows I'd thought about watching that I am now like, eh, is my life really going to be that much better if I watch these shows? There has to be a line somewhere where you say, okay that's enough television, and I'm thinking about taking a pass on these shows. Suggestions?

It is a funny video.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Diversion time.

Actually 3 years ago I asked about working from home in this thread and that video was linked without comment.

How long have you been working from home? It has been over 3 years for me, and I'm really itching to go back to working from work. Part of it is that I live out in remote suburbia and there is almost no reason to leave the house, and part of it is that I am salary, so there is a very blurred line between working and not working.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
The perfect solution for me has always been 2 days working from home and 3 days working from work. It prevents people from forgetting that you exist and maintains relationships with everyone you work with. Those innocuous lunches you take with a few work buddies to Chili's are more important in the long run than you realize.

There's also an inaccurate perception I've encountered where working from home is not considered "really working" when compared to being in the office. Like putting on pants and fighting through traffic somehow prove your worth in some intrinsic fashion.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

There's also an inaccurate perception I've encountered where working from home is not considered "really working" when compared to being in the office. Like putting on pants and fighting through traffic somehow prove your worth in some intrinsic fashion.

That's how our CEO feels (small business problems), and has basically said that he cares more about people being at their desk than their safety (like, during snow/icestorms or really bad rain, especially since I don't own a car).

Yes, I know I need to (and am actively trying to) :yotj:.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The perfect solution for me has always been 2 days working from home and 3 days working from work. It prevents people from forgetting that you exist and maintains relationships with everyone you work with. Those innocuous lunches you take with a few work buddies to Chili's are more important in the long run than you realize.

My previous job was 24/7 client support, we did sort of high end broadcast gear, so our callers were news stations trying to go live and having failed shots, so it was critical and sort of high stress.

We had a guy that worked from home Friday to Monday, and covered weekends. He worked on the other side of country, so his time zone difference made it convenient. Anyways, he was impossible to work with. The boss had never met him, since he was remote when the boss was hired, was always trying to figure out a way to fire him. He'd always have his kid around while trying to work, and customers would complain about it all the time. He'd also go out and just have his laptop with him, and forward our support line to his cell phone. He was always calling me (I was his elevation path) for help with problems that "he couldn't solve" but I'd hear him be at a bar, a barbecue, or at the mall. So I'd get stuck working on weekends just because he didn't feel like taking a call or his laptop was dead, and he'd pretend that it was a hard problem. He was a complete jackass to work with. He'd maybe get three calls each weekend day, totalling one hour of work. He was supposed to do client maintenance all weekend, offline checks of systems and all that, but he never did. If you asked him to upgrade a system on a saturday he'd flip out because "you don't manage me, I'm too busy blah blah blah."

Eventually the boss changed our phone system, and didn't give him access to forward calls to his cell. He flipped out. The boss asked him specifically why he needed to forward calls. His reason was that if he's on desk and needs to go to the toilet he can't be tied to the desk. The boss flipped out and said "if you are answering client calls while taking a poo poo you are fired. Next reason?"

Then the guy stuttered for a few seconds.

The boss then let him have it. "I know you are going out all weekend and doing whatever, you need to be at your desk all weekend" and so on and so forth.

GentlemansSleepover
Apr 26, 2010
Pissing me off - Working from home today and getting an email first thing regarding an issue that requires me to be at the office (direct database access to a client is only available from my machine at work and not remotely, they're very strict about allowing home connections). Also no one, literally no one else at the office to help me out.

Not pissing me off - Figuring out a way to SQL inject a web service written by a coworker, allowing me to resolve the issue painlessly from home. Very shocked I found anything at all, it took about 20 minutes of combing through the code to find even a slight possibility, but I knew if I checked out his pieces of it, I'd eventually find a way in.

Pissing me off - Having to fix this loving mess that allowed me to do what I did in the first place. Fantastic that I don't have to drive 45 minutes into the office to perform a 10 second task, but unbelievable that the vulnerability existed at all. Honestly I'm tempted to just leave it in place so I can fix things like this in the future, but now that I know it's there the guilt is going to eat at me until I clear it up, these guys are security nuts enough without me giving them more reasons to distrust our work and lock us down further.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

I'm lucky when it comes to working from home in that we don't get much poo poo for doing it on a regular basis. Its acceptable not for any common sense reasoning, but because no one has the balls to call us out on it because my team works such a ridiculous amount.

Take Monday, for instance: I worked from 8 AM to 5:30 PM, proceeded to go home, then worked from roughly 7 PM to 2:30 AM working on a problem. This is a regular thing and I probably work between 55 - 70 hours a week depending on what problem a lovely vendor or management decision decides to cause for us. This time, during a major software revision update for a financial system we use, the vendor decided to include a client-side SDB with the package that forced the application to run both in Windows XP compatibility mode and as an Admin. This was not documented anywhere and the vendor did not have a clue about any of it, even their development team. Queue me having to fix their goddamned mess and find this hidden SDB that doesn't appear in the products list, doesn't appear in Add/Remove Programs (not sure how they managed this), and is only referenced in a single line in the registry that I had to dig through and find manually. They included this for "compatibility enhancement" among their customers, I came to find out, which roughly translates to "our product has a codebase dating back to 1978 and everyone that would know how to modernize it died years ago." So I fix this overnight and get on the phone with the vendor the next day to "continue troubleshooting." They couldn't make any headway after 5 hours of effort during business the previous day, where they clearly demonstrated to me that they had no understanding of what "escalation of privilege" means, so I happily explained that I fixed the problem for them by automatically uninstalling the SDB across our environment via an SCCM task sequence. The second the SDB goes away, like magic, non-admins are able to use the software. Lots of stuttering ensued, including one of their "top developers" explaining to me that they had never seen an environment where everyone was not an Administrator on their machine, followed by a soliloquy about how most enterprises were moving in the direction of an "All Admin" model for desktop usage. I would understand if this was a startup vendor, but no, this was FiServ.

gently caress software vendors, basically. Today I need to talk to the Application team and inform them that this SDB also exists on the primary application server. And don't ask me how this wasn't caught in test, that's another headache that I can't think about right now.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lots of stuttering ensued, including one of their "top developers" explaining to me that they had never seen an environment where everyone was not an Administrator on their machine, followed by a soliloquy about how most enterprises were moving in the direction of an "All Admin" model for desktop usage.

What the gently caress are they smoking? Every environment should be audited to remove admin rights, not give them out like candy.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Antioch posted:

The 12 year old in me giggles at 'Servicing the Members' every time.

I don't think 12 year olds should be servicing members.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

GentlemansSleepover posted:

Not pissing me off - Figuring out a way to SQL inject a web service written by a coworker, allowing me to resolve the issue painlessly from home. Very shocked I found anything at all, it took about 20 minutes of combing through the code to find even a slight possibility, but I knew if I checked out his pieces of it, I'd eventually find a way in.

I wanted to give this a shout-out, because that's hilarious.

A lot of our customers like to paste things into their data fields from Microsoft Word, and such things. The software they're using at that point handles all of Word's weirdo formatted right-tilted apostrophes and poo poo fine. However, it syncs to a web application that uses a MYSQL database that totally chokes on those and gives you crazy strings of gibberish where that character should have been. Every once in a while, a new one crops up, and I get to add it to the filter that turns it into whatever the normal version of that symbol would have been.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

deadly_pudding posted:

A lot of our customers like to paste things into their data fields from Microsoft Word, and such things. The software they're using at that point handles all of Word's weirdo formatted right-tilted apostrophes and poo poo fine. However, it syncs to a web application that uses a MYSQL database that totally chokes on those and gives you crazy strings of gibberish where that character should have been. Every once in a while, a new one crops up, and I get to add it to the filter that turns it into whatever the normal version of that symbol would have been.

"I didn't cut and paste that from word!"

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Trebuchet MS"; panose-1:2 11 6 3 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:7 0 0 0 19 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Trebuchet MS";

YOU LIE!

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
No, you can't have a better resolution than your monitor supports.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Not even if it's affecting production?

e: I mean, you know the fallout if you actually say this, but god would I love to respond to that with a "tell me what you think that means."

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I work somewhere that has no real "production" and I have only seen the word "needful" used once. :smug:

Simpleboo
Oct 19, 2013

Anyone have experience creating and configuring a squid installation? Boss wants me to get one sorted and its frustrating me. Source code compiled for LDAP integration won't work and my googlefu is failing me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

deadly_pudding posted:

If anyone here works with me, I'm officially outed:
SELECT @OutString = CONVERT(varchar, @String) Collate SQL_Latin1_General_CP1253_CI_AI

^^Love from regular SQL, turn your ñ into an n, etc.