Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

prefect posted:

This was some years ago; they may have a state ID now.

We totally do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In good countries you would have a medicare or other kind of healthcare card that serves as government ID if you don't have a driver's license.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Aphrodite posted:

In good countries you would have a medicare or other kind of healthcare card that serves as government ID if you don't have a driver's license.
That sounds suspiciously like the Mark of the Beast, you heathen Satanist commie bastard.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

That would make it too easy for poor people to vote.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CapnAndy posted:

That sounds suspiciously like the Mark of the Beast, you heathen Satanist commie bastard.

Back when the Labour Party were trying to introduce compulsory ID cards, I had a piano teacher who genuinely and forthrightly believed this. I once went for a lesson at her home and her shelves were filled with Left Behind books and eschatological tomes prophesying that the end of the world will begin when the Soviet Union invades Israel in 1994.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I wish Left Behind wasn't dumb poorly written religious propaganda, because it's a really good post apocalypse premise. Sorry, you didn't meet this religion's arbitrary requirements, now you're stuck on earth to fend for yourself while everyone you know just poofed off the planet. Enjoy contemplating your meaningless existence.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I wish Left Behind wasn't dumb poorly written religious propaganda, because it's a really good post apocalypse premise. Sorry, you didn't meet this religion's arbitrary requirements, now you're stuck on earth to fend for yourself while everyone you know just poofed off the planet. Enjoy contemplating your meaningless existence.

the failing of it is i don't feel like i know anybody that would go to heaven, so it feels like my life wouldn't really be impacted much

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
My Jr. High had Left Behind, possibly because the librarian was the kind of person who also straight up denied the Jefferson Bible existed because the US being founded by the Best Christians Ever was super important to her, and condascended me for having found out about it on the internet(I would have gotten proof or something, but it wasn't worth the effort, and I also worked for her so I didn't think I should antagonize her).

Wheat Loaf posted:

Back when the Labour Party were trying to introduce compulsory ID cards, I had a piano teacher who genuinely and forthrightly believed this.

People this far into Christianity believe everything is the Mark of the Beast, it's weird. One girl in some college caused this scandel or whatever because she refused to use the school's ID system and the school wasn't accommodating her.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 1, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

People this far into Christianity believe everything is the Mark of the Beast, it's weird. One girl in some college caused this scandel or whatever because she refused to use the school's ID system and the school wasn't accommodating her.
I once had a sunday school teacher who was all wrapped up in this, the Secrets of Fátima, and other "Hey, we probably have just a few years left." kind of stuff. Super-nice guy, but uh, :tinfoil:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the failing of it is i don't feel like i know anybody that would go to heaven, so it feels like my life wouldn't really be impacted much

Well, just as an example, I'm pretty sure most of congress and the president would probably qualify. You could totally write something compelling. But whatever, the actual books are dog poo poo.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Well, just as an example, I'm pretty sure most of congress and the president would probably qualify. You could totally write something compelling. But whatever, the actual books are dog poo poo.

lol at the idea of just about any politician going to heaven

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I dont think Muslins are eligible for rapture.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I remember my Fire and Brimstone preacher Grandpa and my Grandma going on and on about credit cards being the future mark of the beast.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

lol at the idea of just about any politician going to heaven

See that's where you can make it interesting. lovely rear end people go to heaven because they fulfill the letter of the law, and good people remain on earth because they got the wrong religion.

Len posted:

I remember my Fire and Brimstone preacher Grandpa and my Grandma going on and on about credit cards being the future mark of the beast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o-uM4V3Sdo&t=1005s

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

See that's where you can make it interesting. lovely rear end people go to heaven because they fulfill the letter of the law, and good people remain on earth because they got the wrong religion.

i feel like the more entertaining option is the opposite, where lovely dudes like Pat Robertson have to uncomfortably try and keep on keeping on with their movements with the demonstrable knowledge that they didn't make the cut

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o-uM4V3Sdo&t=1005s
How uh, did the Left Behind books address all the non-Christian religions?

Also, that song was super-catchy.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 1, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Talking about actually good morality, so few people would go to heaven, no one would even notice the Rapture was happening.

Unless the Rapture goes by extremist stuff, but the universe actually working on the morality of people like Jack Chick or Bryan Fischer would be more of a cosmological horror story that'd make Lovecraft look like Junie B Jones.

And that's Left Behind.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

redbackground posted:

I have not read them, but based on my knowledge of the authors and their movement, my assumption is that non-Christian religions are treated as inventions of Satan, manufactured to lead people astray.

I've heard a similar sentiment once or twice in my own church, though not in so many words.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

redbackground posted:

Oh, you mean Enigma Babylon One World Faith, the invention of the Antichrist which proposes that all religions (except Christianity) are paths to the truth?

e: by far the best part of Left Behind is the way the general state of the world goes increasingly off the rails as time goes on. It starts with our normal day-to-day life and fairly quickly devolves into humanity at large worshiping golden statues of the President of Earth, a Romanian guy who was resurrected by Satan. And people just sort of have to deal with it- you can say "this poo poo is completely insane" all you like*, but this is the world you live in now.

*unfortunately the characters of Left Behind do not do this very often

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 1, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I wanted the new Left Behind movie to do super well, just because Jesus and his army comes down to a massive apocalyptic battle with the antichrist and his army in the second to last book and I would go to that as an enormous expensive action movie IMAX spectacle.

I really recommend reading all the plot summaries on Wikipedia.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I love the idea that someone thought if basically all the devout Christians disappeared the world somehow just destroys itself. Like it isn't even a majority of the population.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Senor Candle posted:

I love the idea that someone thought if basically all the devout Christians disappeared the world somehow just destroys itself. Like it isn't even a majority of the population.

It's not even all devout Christians, it's specific kinds of Christians who believe the "right" way, and only the genuine believers among those.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

redbackground posted:

The writers are very much aligned with Jack Chick theologically, so you know that weird trope running through Chick Tracts where non-Christians have literally never heard of Jesus Christ or Christianity and convert instantly on being told about it? That sort of belief falls apart instantly on contact with people who know about Christianity but aren't (the writers' preferred sect of) Christians -- unless those people are willfully denying the One True Religion because they don't love God. Which means that no other religion is real and they're all interchangable, just false fronts people put up to explain their denial of the obvious truth.

So in Left Behind, all the non-(Real, True) Christians are dealt with in the following way: the Antichrist puts together a UN comission to unify all world religions, the committee has no problem doing this and comes back with a single faith in a few weeks, and everyone goes "works for us" and converts because one fake religion's as good as another one. Oh, except for the Jews, who are given all of biblical Judea and allowed to bulldoze the Temple Mount to rebuild the Holy Temple, because they're needed as bait for the Jesus trap.

If you're interested in how deep the rabbit hole of bad theology and worse morals go, you should read Slacktivist, which is a great blog written by an Evangelical Christian who absolutely tears the books to loving shreds. It's a great blog overall too.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Len posted:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

By now your name and particulars have been fed into every laptop, desktop, mainframe and supermarket scanner that collectively make up the global information conspiracy, otherwise known as "The Beast."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

I wanted the new Left Behind movie to do super well, just because Jesus and his army comes down to a massive apocalyptic battle with the antichrist and his army in the second to last book and I would go to that as an enormous expensive action movie IMAX spectacle.

I really recommend reading all the plot summaries on Wikipedia.

Bro it already came and went and it was a major bomb.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

zoux posted:

Bro it already came and went and it was a major bomb.

Eh, I know. Wanted.

It'd have to reach, like the fifth movie for the fun to start. And that movie would have to cost $400mil to make and be directed by Michael Bay.
That'd be choice :allears:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The ridiculous Christian lit I'd like to see on the big screen is the Piercing the Darkness stuff by Thomas Peretti, aka the Christian Steven King.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CapnAndy posted:

If you're interested in how deep the rabbit hole of bad theology and worse morals go, you should read Slacktivist, which is a great blog written by an Evangelical Christian who absolutely tears the books to loving shreds. It's a great blog overall too.

Yeah, it's an enjoyable read, and where most of my exposure to it comes from.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
A good rapture book would be one in which all the "right" Christians go to heaven and kick Jesus out for being too liberal.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Madkal posted:

Let he without terrible taste in their teen years cast the first hyperbole

I'm a year older than WH and the only artist I'm super into that's kinda questionable is Die Antwoord, and they're more "not everyone's bag" than anything, do I get hyperbole-casting privileges :colbert:

(kidding, WH seems cool, keep on keepin' on)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

LORD OF BUTT posted:

(kidding, WH seems cool, keep on keepin' on)

Thank you. :blush:

zoux posted:

The ridiculous Christian lit I'd like to see on the big screen is the Piercing the Darkness stuff by Thomas Peretti, aka the Christian Steven King.

Combine the Superhero and Christian movie trends, bring Bibleman to theaters.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Thank you. :blush:

Combine the Superhero and Christian movie trends, bring Bibleman to theaters.
WH, I sat down and listened to the song you linked, and sorry, to my ears, nothing really set it apart from so many other nu-metal early-2000s songs that I got tired of a long time ago. I mean, at least you're not a Juggalo. I hope. Now, if you'll excuse me, the new Nightwish album just came out, and there is a 25 minute track which requires my full attention.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 1, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

redbackground posted:

WH, I sat down and listened to the song you linked, and sorry, to my ears, nothing really set it apart from so many other nu-metal early-2000s songs that I got tired of a long time ago. I mean, at least you're not a Juggalo. I hope. Now, if you excuse me, the new Nightwish album just came out, and there is a 25 minute track which requires my full attention.

Ain't nothing wrong with being down with the clown :colbert: The Gathering 2014 seemed like a pretty radical place with its Juggalo Night Court, Kaiju Wrestling and Gilbert Goddamn Gottfried.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

redbackground posted:

I mean, at least you're not a Juggalo. I hope.

Now that would just be disgusting.

Miracles is funny and not terrible.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Yeah except for all the juggalos

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Chinaman7000 posted:

Yeah except for all the juggalos

1) Juggalo Night Court where justice is given at the front end of a faygo filled super soaker. What part of that doesn't just sound like the most fun ever!?

2) The Neden Game because Juggalos need love too.

3) a tcc goon assured me Juggalos are better than furries because they have the best drugs. So it could be worse?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

If we're discussing/insulting goons' musical tastes, Gorillaz is the best.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Yvonmukluk posted:

If we're discussing/insulting goons' musical tastes, Gorillaz is the best.

Me and my sister both like them! Rhinestone Eyes and Tomorrow Comes Today are underrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Music peaked in 1996 and has been in a death spiral ever since.

It may have also peaked with DJ Shadow's Endtroducing but this hasn't scientifically been proven.

• Locked thread