Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
There are the concrete changes that I would make.

The one guy I've played that had a similar setup used an interesting idea. He had static streets built up on a very thick pink foam board in two 2x4 sections and you could pull some panels to reveal some drainage ditch looking spaces that had bridges running over them and then he had a bunch of multi story buildings that he could scatter as needed. It's an impressive terrain board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I wonder what I need next for my Nomads.

I have the Icestorm box, 2 extra bakunin moderators, Kusanagi, and a daktaris.

As well as a CSU model from icestorm that can pull double duty.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
You need to actually playN3 at some point. :smuggo:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

OB_Juan posted:

You need to actually playN3 at some point. :smuggo:
ouch

Exmond posted:

Thats exactly why he lost it. They couldnt balance his statline, stealth and shotguns on a single package.
I got really confused reading this for a second hahaha, my phone sometimes goes loopy and double posts things.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Nah, it's an ongoing joke. Pierre and I need to go over there at some point, I think Pierre won last time, so he gets to replace the Dark Lord Satoshi sign.

Also, Deviant - get some Morlocks - Metachemistry is neat, and the models are distinct.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Does anyone have any good lists or scenario for using hackers? My friends completed operation icestorm and now we want to move on to using hackers.

Was thinking of fielding a few MI/HI pan ocenia doods and have the other team field a bunch of remotes and hackers

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The new ITS pack has one where all of the objectives function as repeaters, it's kind of nuts.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

The new ITS pack has one where all of the objectives function as repeaters, it's kind of nuts.

So basically, Umbra + Haiduk + T-Drone? :v:

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

osirisisdead posted:

There are the concrete changes that I would make.

The one guy I've played that had a similar setup used an interesting idea. He had static streets built up on a very thick pink foam board in two 2x4 sections and you could pull some panels to reveal some drainage ditch looking spaces that had bridges running over them and then he had a bunch of multi story buildings that he could scatter as needed. It's an impressive terrain board.

Thanks Ill try this out, the cylinders are actually units for scale, the small one is S2, the mid an S4 and the big an S7

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Flipswitch posted:

Well we are pretty new to the game so I don't think going into an ITS pack will help. Unless they come with prebuilt lists and etc?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Exmond posted:

Well we are pretty new to the game so I don't think going into an ITS pack will help. Unless they come with prebuilt lists and etc?

ITS is just a set of scenarios. They aren't any more "hardcore" or serious than the ones in the book, in fact the ones in the book are in there along with like 10 others.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

JoshTheStampede posted:

ITS is just a set of scenarios. They aren't any more "hardcore" or serious than the ones in the book, in fact the ones in the book are in there along with like 10 others.

Ah cool! Are the scenarios available on the main site?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Exmond posted:

Ah cool! Are the scenarios available on the main site?

Yeah, look around the site for ITS2015, it has rules for running tournies and also like 13 scenarios.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Got a really cool game in tonight against Savnock (not a goon, but he posts on the Infinity boards frequently). Our games are always close and always interesting. This was no exception. I brought a Hospitaller link list tonight, while Savnock played a mean vanilla Yu Jing list.

My army:

code:
Combat Group #1

KNIGHT HOSPITALLER	HMG		2	41
KNIGHT HOSPITALLER	Doctor		0	41
KNIGHT HOSPITALLER	Doctor		0	41
KNIGHT HOSPITALLER	BS		0	33
BROTHER KONSTANTINOS	Inf		0	34
ORDER SERGEANT		MSV		1.5	24
ORDER SERGEANT		Hacker		0.5	21
Fusilier		Lieutenant	0	10
Fusilier		Combi		0	10
Fusilier		Combi		0	10

Combat Group #2

ORDER SERGEANT		TOSniper	1.5	33
His army (roughly, reconstructing):

code:
Combat Group #1

DÀOFEI			Hacker		0.5	59
GUILÁNG			Sniper		1.5	33
GUILÁNG			FO		0	27
TOKUSETSU		Doctor		0	14
	YÁOZAO				0	3
CELESTIAL GUARD		Controller	0.5	13
ZHANSHI			Combi		0	11
ZHANSHI			Combi		0	11
ZHANSHI			Combi		0	11
KEISOTSU		Combi		0	9
KEISOTSU		Combi		0	9

Combat Group #2

TIGER SOLDIER		Hacker		0.5	33
SON-BAE Yaókòng		SML		1.5	18
WÈIBING Yaókòng				0	16
PANGGULING		EVO Repeater	0.5	13
KUANG SHI		Chain		0	5
KUANG SHI		Chain		0	5
KUANG SHI		Chain		0	5
KUANG SHI		Chain		0	5
That's a lot of orders.

We played 20x20 and rolled Data Recovery (4 objective markers near the middle, can activate them for VP and can control at end of game for more VP) with a secondary of The Duel (basically kill an equal or superior CC unit in CC - unsurprisingly, it didn't happen). I won the leadership roll and chose to go first. Savnock did basically the exact same thing he did last game: stuck a Daofei Hacker and his FO/Deployable Repeater Guileng square on the most important real estate. He had great sniper (and later SML) coverage of half the board, and the objectives weren't on that half anyway, so most of the action centered around a building complex on one flank that had two of the four objectives inside. There was a lot of shooting into the building from the other table half with snipers and missiles, but movement was all about that one (sizable) building complex.

Turns out that Hospitallers are really loving good in N3. I didn't get completely crushed by hacking thanks to stealth (thanks Martial Arts!) and Fairy Dust (I always bring at least one hacker now). I also made him spend a ton of orders to kill anyone in my offensive link, since everyone was PH14, W2, ARM4, and there were two doctors ready to pick up anyone he didn't make sure to finish off. He had more orders, but I had more staying power. Eventually he ran out of useful troops to spend orders on and conceded, since I was going to pick up Konstantinos with my doc and take the objectives, while my TO Sniper was dominating the board (all his MSVs having been killed previously).

His MVP had to be the smart missile bot: he never managed to target any of my dudes (he was trying to do it via hacking - thanks Fairy Dust!), but that enormous +3 range band (out to 40"!) let him land several missiles on my link. My MVP is hard to judge, really: the shotgun Hospitaller was incredible in close quarters, my HMG Hospitaller killed two models in CC (including after a successful Engage), my doctors were a huge threat and one of them also finished off the Daofei with AP ammo, and my TO Sniper revealed just in time to put a fatal chink in my opponent's plans.

I'm kind of disappointed, really, because I can't imagine ever playing a Teuton link again. Hospitallers are more expensive, and I feel the point crunch, but they're also vastly superior. The difference between Martial Arts and Berserk is enormous. Even putting aside the issue of stealth, which is incredibly important against hacking, an expensive HI doesn't want to be trading wounds with Berserk - it wants to be using Martial Arts to murder the inferior spud it got into CC with! Teutons are a little cheaper (though not if you take Combi Hospitallers) and have the advantage of all being good at almost any range. A Hospitaller link is better overall at each range bracket, but individual link members have blind spots. Aside from that one Teutonic quirk (and frankly, I'd rather have the shotgun and HMG options), and I guess the lack of cubes (and frankly, I'd rather have the cubes), Hospitallers are just plain better.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

N3 Teutons really do seem to occupy an awkward spot in between Hospitallers and Magister Knights.

Aix Athanatos
Nov 3, 2011
Next game, I'm going to run a Teuton link followed by a baggage Mulebot for :hellyeah: factor, see how it goes.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Wait how does stealth help against hacking?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

It doesn't trigger ARO out of LOF, so you can just waltz through repeaters.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Flipswitch posted:

Holy poo poo. I assumed hacking zone was basically LOS.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Nope, they do not grant LOS. :) This works for all hacking zones, but it tends to be mostly applicable via repeaters.

Makes the Swiss Guard loving evil incarnate for me, I love it. Same for Holy Sepulchres and the Cutter/Uhlan and other Martial Arts/Camo HI/TAGs.

ITS JAGGING TIME:

March 2015 Releases:

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Uh, probably going to buy 2 boxes of jaguars at some point . . . I need help, since I said something similar about the alguaciles SWC box.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

This is a Good Model. Gotta pick one up.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

OB_Juan posted:

This is a Good Model. Gotta pick one up.

Likewise! Now I just need to refresh myself on what the Fueurbach does...

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Pyrolocutus posted:

Likewise! Now I just need to refresh myself on what the Fueurbach does...

It is not a bad weapon.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

It's one of those guns people forget about because it isn't that common, then it lets rip on something and smears them into paste.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
It's kind of bad unless you really need the AP part. I'd probably only field it in a link, where it benefits a lot from the extra burst due to how hard each individual shot hits.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Allright did our hacker game and it was great! We did Pan ocenia starter (With upgraded hacker fusiler) vs Aleph Starter. We were playing secure the building..

The first game went uhh badly. We forgot the Alpeh hacker had infiltration and Camo. Not muched happened in the hacking world. Aleph lost on turn 3 as only his Lietuenant was left and it couldn't secure the building vs some fusilers.

The second game the Aleph hacker infiltrated near the building. It surprised shot the sniper and then hide in the building. teh Father Knight (heavy infantry) and Orc Trooper (heavy infantry) both got immoblized via hacking.

I had a few questions

1) If someone moves into my 8" zone of control, but I don't have LOF, can I still declare hacking as an ARO?
2) What can the tac bots do? They are remotes so they can do everything a trooper can right?
3) Can you Infiltrate + camo? Like Infiltrate to your half of the table and be in camo when you start?

We had a hillarious combo where the Sikh commander air dropped behind the Alpeh Asura to form this perfect triangle. The Sikh was within 8" of the Asura, but they formed a triangle so there was no way to draw LOF to all 3 units at once. Was there anyway to kind of escape this? I was thinking of declaring dodge when the Sikh deployed within 8". If you stood still though and just changed facing, is there anything you can do to prevent from being pegged in the back?

Was a fun experience. Hoping to do some more!

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
1) Yes, unless they have Stealth (which comes packaged with a lot of skills, including Martial Arts and Camo).
2) REMs have a couple of downsides. IIRC they get a -3 to Dodge and cannot go Prone.
3) Yes.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Corbeau posted:

It's kind of bad unless you really need the AP part. I'd probably only field it in a link, where it benefits a lot from the extra burst due to how hard each individual shot hits.
I think across 3 armies I've only used it on the uhlan but it's q nice platform to have it on.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
So, had my little game. We ended up jury rigging a three way fight as there was three of us (Ariadna and Aleph), and it was about remembering the rules than playing a real game. Had my sniper clipped off of a rooftop before my first turn (Went last). Couldn't deploy him near cover, forgot about being prone being a thing in this game, the drone was in cover, I chose to try and ARO shoot it and that was it. Sent my Brigada, Spektr and hacker toward the Aleph player, nearly got shotgunned by Ariadnan paratroopers, who came in from a side, and the Spektr failed his shooting ARO. Both the hacker and him made their armor check, though, the brigada wasn't hit by the template, and went to town on the para on my turn. Had to stop shortly after that.
Overall, did little (The Aleph had a guy creeping on a rooftop on the flank of the Ariadna main party, smoke grenading out of LOF the one guy that could aro him rightaway and murdered like 3 others before retreating back. Awesome stuff.), and rolled poorly, but had a blast.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Flipswitch posted:

This isn't true.

page 102, Stealth posted:

Stealth, Sixth Sense and Deployable Equipment
This Special Skill is not effective against troopers with the Sixth Sense Special Skill nor, for obvious reasons, against Deployable Weapons or Equipment (Mines, E/Maulers...).

Repeaters, Deployable Repeaters, and Fast Pandas are all equipment.

Deployable Repeaters are both Deployable AND Equipment.

Laphroaig fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 1, 2015

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, but repeaters don't get ARO's

Hackers get ARO's

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I got a couple questions.

Rolling for Initiative / Deployment:
The way we interpreted it, was that there is a F2F WIP roll for Lts. The winner chooses if they want to pick deployment or initiative.

The player which gets to pick initiative makes that decision
The player with deployment picks a table side and who deploys first.

Burst weapons with Fire:
When getting a crit with a fire weapon, you cause a wound then autimatically make another ARM roll. What happens if your burst 2, one is a hit one is a crit? The crit auto causes a wound, do you make the ARM roll against the fire, or the regular hit first? the fire rules state that when you pass an ARM roll you stop making fire ARM rolls, so I assume you make the Fire auto hit first, and keep rolling that until you pass, then you make the second hit from the burst hit.

Last question, how is our table layout looking?

Everyone in my area is very new to Infinity so that is the reason for all the questions.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

osirisisdead posted:

Hackers get ARO's

We'll probably see an FAQ on it, since due to translation issues you can't split hairs over wording. Anyone know a good place to get rules clarifications from the team these days? Still the infinity forums?

edit for table layout:

Looks pretty decent.

quote:

Burst weapons with Fire:
When getting a crit with a fire weapon, you cause a wound then autimatically make another ARM roll. What happens if your burst 2, one is a hit one is a crit? The crit auto causes a wound, do you make the ARM roll against the fire, or the regular hit first? the fire rules state that when you pass an ARM roll you stop making fire ARM rolls, so I assume you make the Fire auto hit first, and keep rolling that until you pass, then you make the second hit from the burst hit.

The unit hit suffers a wound from the critical hit. Then, from the critical hit, roll ARM until you pass or the model dies - Then, make ARM rolls against the second hit if the model passed the first and is still alive. Make arm rolls against the second hit until passed or the model is dead.

So yeah you roll for each individually.

Laphroaig fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 1, 2015

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

LumberingTroll posted:

Burst weapons with Fire:

You have two hits. So you take one auto wound and start rolling to see how many more you take from the fire for the first hit. Then you roll for the second hit and then do the fire thing again.

You're doing everything else right.

efb by an edit

Laphroaig posted:

We'll probably see an FAQ on it, since due to translation issues you can't split hairs over wording. Anyone know a good place to get rules clarifications from the team these days? Still the infinity forums?

Yep.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

osirisisdead posted:

Hackers get ARO's

What if its a remote bot that has a repeater and you walk in front of it? Would the enemy hacker get an ARO? Would the remote bot get an ARO?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you walk in front of it, you can't use Stealth.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

osirisisdead posted:

If you walk in front of it, you can't use Stealth.

Unless you throw a smoke grenade on it first. :v:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Laphroaig posted:

This isn't true.

Repeaters, Deployable Repeaters, and Fast Pandas are all equipment.

Deployable Repeaters are both Deployable AND Equipment.
It's already up on the rules forum bud but osiris is correct here, the Hacker gets the ARO, the Repeater doesn't. E: Or rather the Repeater can ARO but has no ARO to perform, unlike a Mine or a CrazyKoala.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

osirisisdead posted:

You have two hits. So you take one auto wound and start rolling to see how many more you take from the fire for the first hit. Then you roll for the second hit and then do the fire thing again.

Alright, then is this the same with an explosive weapon with fire / poision.

Its only 1 attack that causes 3 hits. The wording for Fire / poision is that you only make those per attack, not per hit.

• Locked thread