Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

Also from the not-poo poo-you-joke-about department: California enacts water restrictions.

Restrictions like this are needed in Texas and all of the flat line states that depend on the Ogallala Aquifer. The coming dust bowl is going to be horrendous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Whatever that National Retail Federation thingy is they did a "study" showing that surveyed managers believe that being hourly with overtime instead of salaried makes them no better than the other retail peons or something. Also Obama is doing this to destroy the restaurant industry. God drat you Obama.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Raskolnikov38 posted:

besides being an environmental disaster and the playground of the bourgeois?

Artificial turf is fine to play on and yeah... more course need to be opened to the public.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Garrand posted:

Is the $15 / hour rate that the protesters are asking for from a particular source or is it just a simple number they seized upon that would give living wages in most areas of the country?

I believe its from the study that notes that inflation adjusted minimum wage if kept constant from the beginning would be about 15 dollars an hour today.

Looks like 10.55 would be the inflation adjusted if we used the minimum wage in 1968.

Actually it would be 21.16 if it kept up with the growth of overall income gains in the US.

"Fight for fifteen" is a pretty snappy slogan too.

http://inequality.org/minimum-wage/

Grognan fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 1, 2015

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Garrand posted:

Is the $15 / hour rate that the protesters are asking for from a particular source or is it just a simple number they seized upon that would give living wages in most areas of the country?

Yeah, it's considering a living wage (for one 40 hour worker supporting a family of 4) throughout the vast majority of the country. I think the average is something like 13 dollars, or 11 dollars for multiple household workers.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Garrand posted:

If America had the same income and wage inequality now as it had in the 60's, the minimum wage would be over $20, I presume $15 is a "compromise" value.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

radical meme posted:

Restrictions like this are needed in Texas and all of the flat line states that depend on the Ogallala Aquifer. The coming dust bowl is going to be horrendous.

We do this in Texas, just on a county/municipal level. I can't recall a summer in recent memory where we haven't had water restrictions.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Menendez is the 12th Senator in the history of the US to be indicted. Six of those were later convicted, though two of those convictions were later overturned.

The first Senator to be indicted was John Smith (DR-OH) who was charged with treason for allegedly participating in the Burr conspiracy to lead the western territories in rebellion.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Spun Dog posted:

About time. The blurb mentions agriculture, but nothing about fracking. I'm digging into the actual executive order now to see if they will have to cut back as well. http://gov.ca.gov/docs/4.1.15_Executive_Order.pdf

Well, seeing how all of Fracing in California uses as much water as 650 homes, I don't think its the best target for an emergency.

karlor posted:

We do this in Texas, just on a county/municipal level. I can't recall a summer in recent memory where we haven't had water restrictions.

Most of California has had those same style of restrictions in effect for a long time. The difference is state level regulations can force richer water districts to actually conserve.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Memories Pizza has been receiving death, arson, and bomb threats all day and is presently saying they may never open again, thus reminding us all that the real ideology of internet activists is "it's ok when I do it"

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

Memories Pizza has been receiving death, arson, and bomb threats all day and is presently saying they may never open again, thus reminding us all that the real ideology of internet activists is "it's ok when I do it"

Truly they are the Job of the modern day, blessed be their pizza hole.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I like how slacktivism has progressed from "do literally nothing" to "commit felonies against people who do things I don't like"

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Oh man, internet death threats. That's a serious thing and definitely not something that has happened to literally every single person on the internet.

Edit: this is too sarcastic but I'm always wary about internet death threats as a sign of "someone has gone too far". I get death threats when I beat people in Street Fighter or post my opinions on Twitter, it's just a rather repugnant outcome of internet anonymity.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

besides being an environmental disaster and the playground of the bourgeois?

It ain't an environmental disaster in places that regularly get rain. Instead they're just a good park spoiled.

Fried Chicken posted:

It is though. Wah wah wah other people get literally killed for thousands of years and now suddenly the other side gets a 12 year old typing "u suk lol imma kill u im totally a marine" to their email, so we should really care about some dumb bigot? I hope they receive printouts of goatse in the mail for the rest of their lives.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Trabisnikof posted:

Well, seeing how all of Fracing in California uses as much water as 650 homes, I don't think its the best target for an emergency.

I'm more concerned with them poisoning whatever is left to be honest, but I wanted to see if they were specifically mentioned in the EO. They were not as far as I can tell.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Death threats aren't cool, but it's hard to feel sympathy for someone who thinks an entire group of people are abominations so...

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I presume they stopped taking take-out and delivery orders pretty quick.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

I presume they stopped taking take-out and delivery orders pretty quick.

Might accidentally deliver to a gay.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

radical meme posted:

Are there any states that won't have issues with food and water in the coming years? Perhaps I should get out of Texas, if things are just going to get worse.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Pinball posted:

Are there any states that won't have issues with food and water in the coming years? Perhaps I should get out of Texas, if things are just going to get worse.

The central thesis of this thread is that death is certain.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Zelder posted:

Oh man, internet death threats. That's a serious thing and definitely not something that has happened to literally every single person on the internet.

Edit: this is too sarcastic but I'm always wary about internet death threats as a sign of "someone has gone too far". I get death threats when I beat people in Street Fighter or post my opinions on Twitter, it's just a rather repugnant outcome of internet anonymity.
If the past several months have been a push against it being done to "your side" you drat well don't get to do it to "their side" Actions are either right or they are wrong, they don't magically become ok because you are the one doing it, and the belief they do is one of the major reasons why the world is in the shape it is.

http://www.nuvo.net/FoodDrinkBlog/archives/2015/04/01/restaurant-owners-freeze-out-mister-ice

quote:

One of the most outrageous parts of the passage of RFRA is it gave huge swaths of people who have never visited the state a blanket reason not to even try. For the hospitality business, this kind of legislation (and the horrific PR storm that followed) is nothing short of a nightmare. A lot of owners have expressed frustration over the bill because they've worked so hard to make sure the local dining and beverage scene welcomes all, and everyone knows they're welcome. We chronicled some of our favorite responses to RFRA on Nuvo.net/food, from the simple hand-drawn signs to professionally-applied, permanent window decals. The reply from the majority of the community has simply been a succinct "No."

In fact, there has been only one confirmed restaurant owner who has publicly supported the bill: Big Apple Bagels in Brownsburg's franchise owner posted a bold and permanent whiteboard message of support for "our governor Mike Pence," right where patrons could see it moments after they paid. The sign has been erased, it seems, and the corporate office is investigating this bold stance of toroidal carbohydrates in favor of religious liberty, which, ironically, came to the United States via the Polish-Jews that Big Apple's owners are now legally allowed to deny service if it conflicts with their own religious beliefs.

And as it turns out, the author of the bill, Scott Schneider, is the Vice President of Sales for Mister Ice, one of Indiana's largest dealers of ice making equipment and supplies. So the owners of these businesses are ditching their Mister Ice makers in response, hitting the Indiana lawmakers the only place where they still seem to have some feeling: their wallets.

We first heard of the movement to ditch Mister Ice from Some Guys Pizza general manager Charley Sterne.

"I had heard about Mister Ice through social media. So I did some of my own research and found that Schneider was the author [of SB101]," he said. Sterne shared this information with Some Guys owners Keith and Nancy Carey, and they're now in the process of doing the right thing with that information: getting rid of all their machines. And they're far from the only ones.

Sterne confirmed one major player in the Mister Ice movement is Martha Hoover, whose lineup of restaurants include Cafe Patachou, Napolese, Petite Chou and Public Greens. Between Hoover and the Careys, we're already talking about a loss of at least 12 restaurants for the ice vendor.

Annie Zoll at Zesco, our local restaurant supplier, also confirmed that she knew of a few more owners getting rid of their Mister Ice machines, but was unable to confirm exactly whom all is planning to switch businesses.

The reaction is one of revenge, no doubt, after unnecessary legislation like RFRA threatens to bleed our economic viability dry. According to Sterne, Schneider's father, the company's owner, is pulling out every last desperate stop to keep his own business from failing. Unfortunately, he is apparently doing so by trying to re-explain the bill to his customers.

There is some good news in all this though: some non-hateful, non-damaging-legislation-writing ice dealers are about to have an absolute explosion of business.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pinball posted:

How much do you like corn?

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

How much do you like corn?

in the year 2050 the smell of popcorn has gone from delightful movie treat to hellish gruel substitute. Lets all go to the lobby and get ourselves malnutrition.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Spaceman Future! posted:

in the year 2050 the smell of popcorn has gone from delightful movie treat to hellish gruel substitute. Lets all go to the lobby and get ourselves malnutrition.

Oddly enough that's probably how popcorn started as well. Popped in hot sand and then mashed into a gruel. :yum:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

haveblue posted:

Also from the not-poo poo-you-joke-about department: California enacts water restrictions.
Already seeing a lot of Agenda 21 nonsense when you search 'Jerry Brown' on Twitter

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Already seeing a lot of Agenda 21 nonsense when you search 'Jerry Brown' on Twitter

I'm sure there are already people promising to leave their faucets running out of spite as well.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Pinball posted:

I'm in Cleveland right now and I'm looking forward to our ample amount of probably okay to drink water being a big deal in the coming decades.

Now you may be saying to yourself "Well, Business Gorillas, your lovely water was on fire not too long ago". Well, thanks to outsourcing, almost all of the steel plants that contributed to that minor incident are polluting all they want in China.

I guess you can say that the free market really does work :smug:

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

ReidRansom posted:

I'm sure there are already people promising to leave their faucets running out of spite as well.

These people, much like coal rollers and everyone else who makes it their mission to destroy the environment out of spite, need to be fired into the sun.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

ReidRansom posted:

Riverside/OC should be firebombed.

Luckily nature agrees with this and we get huge wildfires regularly.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pinball posted:

East of the Mississippi, North of the 35th Parallel.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

ReidRansom posted:

Wouldn't this do literally nothing since it would just go right back into the sewage system to be recycled anyways?

For proper spite you should fill containers full of water and allow it to evaporate outside.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ReidRansom posted:

"Environmental protection is a total joke because these people do nothing. And I'll give you the example and it doesn't sound like much, but as a builder, I build, and I build beautiful places. And I have great success with these places. I go out, and you buy faucets today. No water comes out. Because they have it restricted. So what do you do? You leave the water running five times longer to wash your hands. The shower. You turn on the shower. There's no water. What is it? They have restricters in. You buy 'em with restricters. EPA. So what do you do? You stay in the shower for three times longer than you want to. There's no saving! And it's terrible. And people come over to our country and they say, 'What the hell's wrong with your showers? What's wrong with your water?'" ~ Donald Trump, in New Hampshire last month.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Business Gorillas posted:

Wouldn't this do literally nothing since it would just go right back into the sewage system to be recycled anyways?

For proper spite you should fill containers full of water and allow it to evaporate outside.

It'd have to be reprocessed (needlessly) and the water shortage is causing some of our hydroelectric dams to go offline. Which is fine, its not like California has had power problems in the recent past or anything.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Never said they were very smart.

Joementum posted:

"Environmental protection is a total joke because these people do nothing. And I'll give you the example and it doesn't sound like much, but as a builder, I build, and I build beautiful places. And I have great success with these places. I go out, and you buy faucets today. No water comes out. Because they have it restricted. So what do you do? You leave the water running five times longer to wash your hands. The shower. You turn on the shower. There's no water. What is it? They have restricters in. You buy 'em with restricters. EPA. So what do you do? You stay in the shower for three times longer than you want to. There's no saving! And it's terrible. And people come over to our country and they say, 'What the hell's wrong with your showers? What's wrong with your water?'" ~ Donald Trump, in New Hampshire last month.

Case in point.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

If the past several months have been a push against it being done to "your side" you drat well don't get to do it to "their side" Actions are either right or they are wrong, they don't magically become ok because you are the one doing it, and the belief they do is one of the major reasons why the world is in the shape it is.

http://www.nuvo.net/FoodDrinkBlog/archives/2015/04/01/restaurant-owners-freeze-out-mister-ice

Death threats are wrong, you'll note I said that they're a repugnant outcome of internet anonymity. But complaining about them or using them as a sign of either sides moral depravity is silly, because you can fire off a death threat in ten seconds and there's no accountability.

Now when people start doxxing others or posting pictures of people's houses, then things have devolved into the "totally hosed" range.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I'm sorry but are you such a disgusting person that you want to drink toilet water?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

Two of the most worthless uses of water are golf courses and graveyards. Golf is a dying activity anyway, just stop this stupid poo poo already.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Pinball posted:

Florida will be feasting on alligators, escaped snakes, and various sea life while sipping on delicious rain water once the aquifer sinks into the sea. Join our hybrid Mad Max and Waterworld future as we adopt the water conservancy ways of the Caribbean Islands. Just be careful, we're still not allowed to talk about lobalgay armingway.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Joementum posted:

This quote still makes no sense to me. Who washes their hands longer because their water is restricted, aside from morons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

radical meme posted:

Two of the most worthless uses of water are golf courses and graveyards. Golf is a dying activity anyway, just stop this stupid poo poo already.

And as for graveyards. we've had a solution to that since 1839

• Locked thread