Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Tess turns 5 today, so I tried to get a few photos of her.

It was early, though, so she just stood in the shade. Casey was feeling much more photogenic.

And then?

The dogs got their much-needed burger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

:lol: at Tess's eyes in the last pic, good stuff

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

rhoga posted:

The dogs got their much-needed burger.

BURGERS! :3:

it looks kinda like you took the cheese off those mickey ds though... Say it ain't so!

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

I would not deny a dog her cheeseburger on her birthday. I present further proof:

It is also proof that Tess does not know how to eat food.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby is on grain-free...however she still enjoys buddy biscuits and those wellness lamb and apple bars

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Happy birthday Tess! Next week will be Reese's one year gotcha day so I think we will steal the burger idea and post the results.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

As promised:

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
We took ours to the vet during a thunderstorm, which is like the absolute opposite of giving him a burger.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Fuzz Feets posted:

As promised:

Seeing a greyhound get a burger will never not be awesome.

Tree Goat posted:

We took ours to the vet during a thunderstorm, which is like the absolute opposite of giving him a burger.

Rory loves the lawnmower, comes running into the room whenever I drop and shatter a dish, sleeps like a rock through violent thunder storms, and thinks the siren of our security system is like the funnest thing in the world, but for some reason, the sound of fireworks from the baseball stadium a mile and a half down the road send her crawling under our bed. :psyduck:

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 10, 2015

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
What team do you live near so I can root against them? Poor dog.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

The Flying Squirrels. Even the name is just so mocking. :arghfist:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Sorry for the double post! Photo dump incoming!

At my mom's house for Easter, we had five dogs between myself, my mom and my sister. Getting a group shot was challenging.

One of my opposite pets:

And one of me and my retired racing Labrador at the river this past weekend. I really am gonna have to get her a life jacket this summer because she loved it.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

Jake just passed his first test to become a therapy dog. My wife is going to take him to nursing homes. :toot:

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Wow good job Jake (and Drunk Beekeeper/ Mrs. Beekeeper). What kinds of testing did he have to do?

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

Fuzz Feets posted:

Wow good job Jake (and Drunk Beekeeper/ Mrs. Beekeeper). What kinds of testing did he have to do?

It was pretty easy. The dog has to be up to date on immunizations. They check for basic demeanor toward people and other dogs, ability to obey basic commands, and reaction to loud noises or clatter. They also asked us to have him lay down and have us walk away to see if he can stay where we put him. He kind of fudged that one but we don't think it will be an issue as we don't plan to do that, ever. We do have to pay in $50 for liability insurance per year. But other than that he's back to being "employed".

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

That's awesome! Do you have to coordinate with the nursing homes as to when you go in, or can you just show up whenever you want?

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

pastor of muppets posted:

That's awesome! Do you have to coordinate with the nursing homes as to when you go in, or can you just show up whenever you want?

You have to coordinate because some homes have different requirements. For example, some places will not allow dogs that are on a raw diet, while others don't care. So you just have to make sure the requirements and the timing work out.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?
We just adopted our first grey Felix!

We are about a week in to having him in our home, and so far he has been a pretty decent house mate. He has an infatuation with our daughters sippy cups, and wants to chew them up at every opportunity. Other than that he has been a model house mate.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Mona has been doing a good job putting up with baby shenanigans.

The feeding of cheerio's and goldfish has helped alot.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Magugu posted:

We just adopted our first grey Felix!

We are about a week in to having him in our home, and so far he has been a pretty decent house mate. He has an infatuation with our daughters sippy cups, and wants to chew them up at every opportunity. Other than that he has been a model house mate.

Hey congrats :woof:

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011

This is Thome. He's 12 years old, and our second retired racer! He spends his days stealing the couch and howling at the phone whenever it rings-- he's getting a bit old and slow now, but he's a good grey. And he'll eat just about anything.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I haven't posted a picture of Abby in a while. She's seven now, doing well, getting a bit of grey hair on her neck!

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Are greyhound rescues less picky about apartments than other ones? My apartment complex is very dog friendly, close to a dog park, and it has an area on the roof for dogs to poo/pee.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Elderbean posted:

Are greyhound rescues less picky about apartments than other ones? My apartment complex is very dog friendly, close to a dog park, and it has an area on the roof for dogs to poo/pee.

Yes. Lots of greyhound rescues are fine with apartments. And more to the point greyhounds can do very well in apartments.

The Other Air Force
Apr 18, 2009

Elderbean posted:

We had our 80 pound giant in a 700sq. foot condo for almost 8 months. Most gentle dog I've ever met and we didn't have any problems with him at all.

Best dog ever.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

The local rescue won't let greyhounds go to an apartment if they're under 3 or are higher-energy, but other than that quite a few are adopted out to apartments. I've had Remy in a 575-ft studio apartment for almost a year, and haven't had any issues.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

I was not a dog person until I met my girlfriend's greyhounds. The fact that they are the chillest dogs in the world also makes them great as casual pet dogs, but we took them to agility training a few times and the lady said they got the hang of the course quicker than any dog she'd ever taught except collies.

My girlfriend's dad, who actually owns the dogs, is really active in the local greyhound charity and they take on/foster a fair few. They get taken out on charity walks and to raise money which means lots of adorable dressing up. Here is Dylan in disguise in an attempt to get his hands on some of those fat World Wildlife Fund charity bux.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Yesterday was Rory's third birthday! :toot:

To torture her celebrate, I took her to a local canine swimming facility. Since my clinic refers lots of our patients to them for physical therapy, they were offering free intro lessons to staff members! All of the dogs that use their facility are required to take this intro class where they teach them how to use the ramp and get them used to swimming. Rory loves water, but she had never been in water where she couldn't touch the ground until today.

She was pretty :ohdear: about using the ramp at first, but I was pretty surprised at how strong of a swimmer she was. I expected with her massive chest and little cloven hoof feet that she'd be not so great. The instructor also happens to be a friend of a friend, and he said that she was the first greyhound they had ever had, at least since he had been working there. Towards the end, she had definitely warmed up to it a bit more and was prancing around the pool deck wagging her tail. :3: Now that she's had the intro class, she can come back and do either assisted swims like she had today or unassisted where she's given free reign of the pool. I think she'll need a couple more assisted swims before she's confident enough to go unassisted.

Have a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFLHVeeJKvQ

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Since they have webbed feet, I've always wondered how well greyhounds would be able to swim.

Shoozy
Apr 11, 2007

This is the cutest mother effin' thing I have ever seen.

Hamsalad
May 28, 2007
i am torgo

Shoozy posted:

This is the cutest mother effin' thing I have ever seen.

I couldn't stop laughing, it really is!

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Ok, so it's official. I'm gonna have to make some major life changes which involve moving across the Atlantic AND to the other side of the US to Spokane this fall.
Im looking at import rules for dogs, and I won't have a problem bringing my dog into the US legally and all, but I'm scared about making him fly for such long stretches. Anyone have any tips or advice? I'm thinking of maybe dividing the trip into two or three legs: England->Reykjavik->somewhere in the US->Spokane, or two legs: England ->the East Coast somewhere - >Spokane. And then maybe taking a day at each stop to recuperate. It'll make it a shorter experience each time for him, but it'll happen more times.

I'm seeing the vet in a few weeks for a session of shots and advice, but I figured it can't hurt to ask here too.

Oh, and here's the couch potato enjoying some netflix while I'm at work:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nuclear War fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 25, 2015

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

I don't have any advice on the travel thing but just wanted to say your couch potato is a cutie. What is his name?

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Fuzz Feets posted:

I don't have any advice on the travel thing but just wanted to say your couch potato is a cutie. What is his name?

His name is Meesha. He's almost two years and totally amazing. He's a bit big for a whippet, but I've never met a friendlier dog in my life. He's the first dog I ever owned, or even had any kind of relationship with, and we became inseparable in no time at all.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
He's a whippet?! I was going to get a whippet but there were so many more greyhounds floating around. In retrospect I am not sorry, because my greyhound drapes himself across the furniture in exactly the same way that got me interested in whippets. But whippets are cool.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

Yeah, sighthounds in general aren't very common in Norway, but Greyhounds/afghans etc are almost unheard of. There's a bit of a whippet community growing these days though, probably due to them being basically the perfect family/apartment dog. How are greyhounds compared to whippets when it comes to temperament? I'm thinking at some point I want to adopt a greyhound

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

History agrees, your dog needs to eat a burger.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

I saw this today and it is weird and cute all at the same time.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3069924/Meet-failed-dog-captured-hearts-long-floppy-tongue.html

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Gibber incomprehensibly, or kill it with fire? I can't decide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Our old American Eskimo had his teeth removed when we got him, and the tongue sticking out thing is pretty normal+adorable.

I can't find one that quite does it justice, though.