Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

apparently the US is getting one version with the other as DLC?

On the other hand, it's RPGSite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

With the amount of attention the Direct gave to having to choose a side I feel like this would've absolutely come up if it was true. Not as much of a hard choice if one comes on the cart by default and one is paid DLC.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Oracle of Ages was the longer and harder game yet everyone I know preferred Seasons. This is irrelevant because Nohr is obviously better.

On one hand I'm miffed that they're doing such an obvious money grab, on the other hand if it keeps Fire Emblem afloat as a series I will throw stupid amounts of money at it. As long as it's two proper stories instead of two half stories I'm happy. :shepspends:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Desuwa posted:

Oracle of Ages was the longer and harder game yet everyone I know preferred Seasons. This is irrelevant because Nohr is obviously better.

On one hand I'm miffed that they're doing such an obvious money grab, on the other hand if it keeps Fire Emblem afloat as a series I will throw stupid amounts of money at it. As long as it's two proper stories instead of two half stories I'm happy. :shepspends:
Well, some of the marketing has said that they split at chapter 6, and given that they're being separated like this makes me think there's no meet-up point. Assuming a game that's about average length for an FE game that's 20 chapters of completely different content.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I dunno about 'completely' different content, Bill was kinda vague about that. We'll probably have a couple repeating chapters and bosses what with the monsters running around.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

I dunno about 'completely' different content, Bill was kinda vague about that. We'll probably have a couple repeating chapters and bosses what with the monsters running around.
If they're going this far with things, they better be completely different.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The fact that they're charging for each storyline in Japan either means there's enough unique content on both to justify that cost or that Nintendo got incredibly ballsy about DLC incredibly fast.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
:vince:

So getting the Nohr version. not-Mitsunari's lightning blade looks rad though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

This is somehow even more anime than Persona. Sure, I'll buy a Wii U for this.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

Well, some of the marketing has said that they split at chapter 6, and given that they're being separated like this makes me think there's no meet-up point. Assuming a game that's about average length for an FE game that's 20 chapters of completely different content.

Yeah that works too. I guess as long as the price of the second "game" as DLC makes sense relative to the content that's unique to each game. On the other hand, post split, they better be completely different. This isn't like Pokemon, where each person is really only expected to get one or the other and trade for Pokemon they can't get in their version. They're marketing these like they're standalone campaigns.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Endorph posted:

If they're going this far with things, they better be completely different.

Pokemon games are almost exactly the same with a different 'cast' so... maybe don't get your hopes up?

Different characters and supports and mission dialogue is a lot of 'new content' and Awakening was really weak when it came to the overall story and map design. I really wouldn't be surprised if the paths were almost identical. I'd almost expect it to be Dynasty Warriors style where you're just playing the same maps from the other side.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

This will probably be more like the Oracle Zelda games.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Dr Pepper posted:

This will probably be more like the Oracle Zelda games.

I hope so, those were pretty bitchin'

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Francis posted:

Pokemon games are almost exactly the same with a different 'cast' so... maybe don't get your hopes up?

Pokémon split version games are also guaranteed to sell 10 million copies regardless of quality.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
True ending if you beat both games? Oh boy.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

So what was that about a 3rd DLC campaign? I hope its just something extra and not the actual end to the story or something.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Francis posted:

I really wouldn't be surprised if the paths were almost identical.
They aren't going to be. Trust me. I would bet real-life money on it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Pokemon and the Oracle Zelda games are proof enough to me that Nintendo is more than willing to do this kind of thing. I really hope that it turns out not to work like that though.

Mostly because I'm gonna buy everything anyway

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

Pokemon and the Oracle Zelda games are proof enough to me that Nintendo is more than willing to do this kind of thing. I really hope that it turns out not to work like that though.

The Oracle games were completely different from each other and not at all like Pokemon, though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also the Oracle games were by Capcom, who presumably had the final say in how different the versions were since they were the ones making them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
We're all gonna buy both versions anyways which is why Nintendo will get away with this.

We are what we hate.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Manatee Cannon posted:

The oracle zelda games were literally two completely different, fully fledged, new games released at once with the ability to interact with each other in various ways depending on the order you beat them, and a bonus directors cut ending thing for beating both. They were 100% awesome and amazing and completely different than pokemon letting you pick a few special monsters each release.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Oh so not only is Pair Up nerfed, but the enemies can also use the dual system?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

The Oracle games were two different games that also had connectivity and some similarities, like the animal companions. The differences between them were huge though, much larger than the similarities. Pokemon games are basically the same game with a few pieces of content only available in each version to encourage people to play together and get a few hardcores who buy both at full price.

From first impressions Fire Emblem if sounds like it'll be somewhere between the Oracle games and Pokemon. It sounds like you're meant to play one or the other, then buy the content from the other as DLC and play that, then grab the third/final campaign.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's been a long time since I've played the Oracle games, but I don't remember them being that different. Oh well.

Endorph posted:

Also the Oracle games were by Capcom, who presumably had the final say in how different the versions were since they were the ones making them.

Capcom also did those Megaman Battle Network, which had different versions a la Pokemon and only had some optional bosses and the like as differences.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

They also went overboard with the BN successor and made three simutaneous versions.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Oracle Zeldas are exactly the model of how the two game system should be done. Two good, full length, different standalone games with some extra features if you play both of them.

Pokemon is the opposite of how a two game system should be done. Two virtually identical games, with no real benefit from playing both. It works for Pokemon since the point of it is to encourage trading between games and you don't suffer if you only play one.

It wouldn't work for a story based game like Fire Emblem. The two need to be totally different to justify there being two versions.

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's been a long time since I've played the Oracle games, but I don't remember them being that different. Oh well.

They were as different from each other as they were from Link's Awakening. They all had different stories, dungeons, overworlds, everything.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

They have different items, dungeons, and worlds. They also have different villains and stories. They're much more different than they are similar, even if they're still more similar than, say, OoT and MM.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Motto posted:

They also went overboard with the BN successor and made three simutaneous versions.

It was also kind of bad and it's sequel was worse.

Holy poo poo was the third game good though

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I like how there was a mechanic in the third one, illegal data, solely dedicated to giving you broken cards way earlier than you should be getting them.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I bought both Oracle games, they had an insanely complicated transfer system via link ports and passwords and poo poo to transfer world states back and forth to get to the true boss. if the new Fire Emblem is anything remotely in the scope of the Oracle games, it would be the greatest.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It'd be way better if you didn't have to buy them separately though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Part of me wonders just how much easier the Hoshido campaign will be, and if as a result I can actually play the game on lunatic without it sucking all the fun out. Or maybe if you pick lunatic they'll just crank up the difficulty a huge amount regardless of it being the "easy" game.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

It'd be way better if you didn't have to buy them separately though.

you won't unless you live in japan

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Oh so not only is Pair Up nerfed, but the enemies can also use the dual system?

Enemies will probably be auto-paired. Now so long as we deploy in pairs this is exactly as I kept saying the FE system should be.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Brother Entropy posted:

With the amount of attention the Direct gave to having to choose a side I feel like this would've absolutely come up if it was true. Not as much of a hard choice if one comes on the cart by default and one is paid DLC.

What they meant is that Japanese players will have to choose a side.

Unless of course what they mean is that the DLC is just free day 1 download because of cartridge constraints.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
it's funny because we can hope and pray and at the end of the day we're gonna pay whatever they ask and like it :shepspends:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If this is basically Fire Emblem meets Der Langrisser's path splits (Light (Hoshido), Imperial (Nohr) and Independent/Chaos (3rd route?)), gently caress yeah I'll pay for it three times and like it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'd rather pay once and like it however

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I am hoping that Purple Bazongas is of the Fighter line and not an axe-specialized/higher axe weapon rank Hero like Echidna was. Also, am I crazy or does she look like a hell of a lot like Darklaw from Layton vs. Phoenix Wright?

Other than that, I too hope they clarify what the hell is going on with the release method very soon.