Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Len posted:

Started watching it this morning and yeah agreed this is pretty drat good. I'm on episode 7 or 8 already and I'm looking forward to finishing it tonight.

This was way better than I expected, I ended up bingewatching the season over the weekend and was glad to see Netflix already ordered Season 2 on the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

The one episode of Archer Season 5 and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt I watched today both referenced Bunson Honeydew, the muppet. That was so weird for me.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Captain Lavender posted:

The one episode of Archer Season 5 and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt I watched today both referenced Bunson Honeydew, the muppet. That was so weird for me.

He's not a scientist!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Jesus Hernando Christ, I watched all of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmitt tonight. All of it instead of doing productive and adult things.
Goddamn that show was good.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Chef was much better than I thought it would be. Sweet without being overly cloying. Even the obvious re-marriage happy ending wasn't that bad. Plus Scarlett Johansson and Sofia Vergara are ridiculously hot throughout. I'm worried that Jon Favreau is just going to explode at some point in the future though.

The Institute is a documentary about and ARG that was played in SF that some of the participants took waaaaaaay too seriously at times. It's basically "stupid white people (and one really stupid asian girl) the movie". ARGs are dumb. Except for the one for the Tomorrow's Harvest release. That was pretty cool.

Hannibal Season 2 is on Amazon. It's a beautiful fever dream of a show.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt made me laugh a lot. Ellie Kemper is a qt.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Gideon's army is a really good documentary about public defenders. Holy hell is the criminal justice system here beyond hosed.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Oldstench posted:

Chef was much better than I thought it would be.

Hannibal Season 2 is on Amazon. It's a beautiful fever dream of a show.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt made me laugh a lot. Ellie Kemper is a qt.

I've been told that Chef is quite good, guess I'm going to give it a try.

Hannibal is coming to Latin American Netflix, so all Latino goons that haven't seen the series you should watch it as soon as it's up. Also, there's no news if it's only the first season, or both first and second.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt bored me. :/ I'll give it a second try later, this is probably not my type of comedy.

The Returned (2015) is and will be available on Netflix 24 hours after its airing on TV (but not on the USA or Canada, sorry guys), I found this awesome and hoping they do the same with other series, sadly The returned didn't seem too interesting...I'll keep watching and see if it gets better.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Watch the original French series, the remake just looks like a mediocre carbon copy.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Desperado Bones posted:

Hannibal is coming to Latin American Netflix, so all Latino goons that haven't seen the series you should watch it as soon as it's up. Also, there's no news if it's only the first season, or both first and second.

I would think it's probably going to be both seasons since the 3rd is starting up in June. I've noticed that with most series the latest season goes up on Netflix shortly before the next season starts airing. At least for network shows in the US, anyway. It may be different for Latin America.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Desperado Bones posted:

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt bored me. :/ I'll give it a second try later, this is probably not my type of comedy.

First episode is complete poo poo but gets better at episode 2, masters it at 3, and stays good. If you're not hooked by episode 3 then you won't like it

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

Bown posted:

Watch the original French series, the remake just looks like a mediocre carbon copy.

I second this. Great atmosphere and a soundtrack by Mogwai.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Turambar posted:

Thirded. The soundtrack for that series has got to be one of the best I've ever heard.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Turambar posted:

Yeah, I'm seriously considering this. The trailer for the French version was even more interesting that the two chapters of the American version.

The Mentalizer posted:

I would think it's probably going to be both seasons since the 3rd is starting up in June. I've noticed that with most series the latest season goes up on Netflix shortly before the next season starts airing. At least for network shows in the US, anyway. It may be different for Latin America.

It's quite weird how things work over here. Sometimes we get all the seasons, sometimes not. For example Grimm has been up in Netflix Mexico for years but they haven't uploaded the third season even if it already aired on the US. I don't know if it also has to do with if the blu ray is out or not.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Volume posted:

First episode is complete poo poo but gets better at episode 2, masters it at 3, and stays good. If you're not hooked by episode 3 then you won't like it

This is completely true. I think a lot of Netflix shows are similar - they kind of front load a lot of exposition so the first episode or two seems really weak, but then things start coming together fast. Bojack Horseman was the same way (and in that case it went so far as to kind of disguise the show's genre as a lovely sitcom instead of the bizarre dramedy it is by the end).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ryoshi posted:

This is completely true. I think a lot of Netflix shows are similar - they kind of front load a lot of exposition so the first episode or two seems really weak, but then things start coming together fast. Bojack Horseman was the same way (and in that case it went so far as to kind of disguise the show's genre as a lovely sitcom instead of the bizarre dramedy it is by the end).

Episode 2 of Bojack was goddamn brilliant, though. Where else will you hear Keith Olbermann say "That's what happens when you steal a meal from Neal McBeal the Navy Seal"?

That's what I thought. :colbert:

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Has anyone else watch Beyond the Black Rainbow? If so, would you please explain to me what I just watched?

I feel like Netflix accidentally added a movie you would only find playing in a display at a modern art museum, and gave it cover art that would trick the viewer in to thinking it was a 70s throwback scifi thriller

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Deadite posted:

Has anyone else watch Beyond the Black Rainbow? If so, would you please explain to me what I just watched?

I feel like Netflix accidentally added a movie you would only find playing in a display at a modern art museum, and gave it cover art that would trick the viewer in to thinking it was a 70s throwback scifi thriller

You watched a very stylish film that was ultimately let down by a shallower narrative than it deserved and a bad resolution (I'm talking about Dr. Nyle simply falling down and hitting his head on a rock.). That being said, I really like how it looks, love movies that have to do with strange spiritual cults/research groups in the '60's and '70's, and really dig retro-synth scores, so I actually really liked it in spite of its failings.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
Hell yeah! Danger 5: Season 2 is up on instant Netflix. Watch that poo poo in one go! KILL HITLER!

For horror fans who dig on anthology films making a comeback, The ABCs of Death 2 is available and much improved over the first one. 26 vignettes from international film-makers across the world. The Japanese ones are still a little weird. Some of them are honestly kind of funny. It's a good game to try to guess what the letter is before it ends.

Overall, films like The ABCs of Death and VHS are making me excited that horror Anthology movies are making a VOD comeback. I grew up watching films like Creepshow that did this.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

Vriess posted:

Hell yeah! Danger 5: Season 2 is up on instant Netflix. Watch that poo poo in one go! KILL HITLER!

For horror fans who dig on anthology films making a comeback, The ABCs of Death 2 is available and much improved over the first one. 26 vignettes from international film-makers across the world. The Japanese ones are still a little weird. Some of them are honestly kind of funny. It's a good game to try to guess what the letter is before it ends.

Overall, films like The ABCs of Death and VHS are making me excited that horror Anthology movies are making a VOD comeback. I grew up watching films like Creepshow that did this.

Hell yeah, the VHS films and the ABCs of Death are great. The last segment of ABCs 2 is the most effective horror film I've seen in years.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Deadite posted:

Imagine an attempt to make a remake of a David Cronenberg film, but made by someone who has an intense interest in fluorescent lights and droning sounds, and expects everyone to share these interests.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Imagine an attempt to make a remake of a David Cronenberg film, but made by someone who has an intense interest in fluorescent lights and droning sounds, and expects everyone to share these interests.
I already saw Altered States.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Speaking of horror anthologies it really burns my biscuits that Tales from the Crypt isn't on HBO Go. C'mon HBO, no one wants to watch Arliss.

Also please add Mr. Show too

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Desperado Bones posted:

It's quite weird how things work over here. Sometimes we get all the seasons, sometimes not. For example Grimm has been up in Netflix Mexico for years but they haven't uploaded the third season even if it already aired on the US. I don't know if it also has to do with if the blu ray is out or not.

Part of it probably has to do with the DVD release dates, but for a country like Mexico it may also involve how fast they get the localized versions finished. So if they don't have a Latin American Spanish version of Grimm Season 3 finished, they might not put it up. I can't speak for other networks but for where I work I know that the international versions are prepped and sent out for dubbing pretty soon after air, and the LAS versions are usually the first ones we get back for distribution (usually followed shortly by the French, Castillian, German and Portuguese versions if they make them). I don't work for NBC though, so I can't tell you what the deal with Grimm is.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Deadite posted:

Speaking of horror anthologies it really burns my biscuits that Tales from the Crypt isn't on HBO Go. C'mon HBO, no one wants to watch Arliss.

Also please add Mr. Show too

Mr. Show was the greatest sketch comedy since Kids in the Hall.

I love Surreal comedy, and Bob Odenkirk and David Cross were super raw in that.

All the goddamned Saw movies are being flooded into Netflix.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

The Mentalizer posted:

Part of it probably has to do with the DVD release dates, but for a country like Mexico it may also involve how fast they get the localized versions finished. So if they don't have a Latin American Spanish version of Grimm Season 3 finished, they might not put it up. I can't speak for other networks but for where I work I know that the international versions are prepped and sent out for dubbing pretty soon after air, and the LAS versions are usually the first ones we get back for distribution (usually followed shortly by the French, Castillian, German and Portuguese versions if they make them). I don't work for NBC though, so I can't tell you what the deal with Grimm is.

There's one thing I just remembered, and makes me wonder if that's the deal. Over here a TV network can buy a series and will have exclusive rights on it for a certain time. Exclusive rights means that if they want, they can keep that series hidden from the public. That happened with Evangelion and a bunch of other animes, right in the moment anime was hot in Mexico, one network bought a bunch of popular titles and never aired them,until years later when the hype was dying. SO, I guess some network has the rights for Grimm and is not letting it go? :/ I don't have cable so I'm not sure what channel is airing it, or if they have finished airing the third season. I guess I'll have find another way to watch it.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Desperado Bones posted:

There's one thing I just remembered, and makes me wonder if that's the deal. Over here a TV network can buy a series and will have exclusive rights on it for a certain time. Exclusive rights means that if they want, they can keep that series hidden from the public. That happened with Evangelion and a bunch of other animes, right in the moment anime was hot in Mexico, one network bought a bunch of popular titles and never aired them,until years later when the hype was dying. SO, I guess some network has the rights for Grimm and is not letting it go? :/ I don't have cable so I'm not sure what channel is airing it, or if they have finished airing the third season. I guess I'll have find another way to watch it.

Yeah, exclusivity can just as easily be used to deny your competitors access to something as it can to brag about how it's only on your channel. Sometimes, you buy it just so someone else can't have it. That may be what happened here.

Back in the day, affiliates used to fight viciously over exclusivity rights for feature films, because you were king poo poo if you could be the first to air Independence Day or whatever on your channel. I remember one such fight amongst several affiliate stations in our tri-state area back when I was an undergrad--they were going apeshit trying to secure exclusivity for the Kurt Russel film Soldier. They were all dying to be the first to show it.

Usually, the company would give exclusivity for a few weeks or a month before making it available to other paying customers. Somehow, the underdog affiliate that sucked and whose channel nobody ever watched managed to secure exclusivity...

...for one day.

They celebrated and rubbed it in everyone's faces by playing loving Soldier for 24 hours straight. They'd roll credits and the VO guy would come on excitedly: "That was Soldier, and up next is the blockbuster Kurt Russel film Soldier, available first here on Channel 12!"

It was amazing.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Since Friday was his birthday, I'll just let everyone know, whether it's for your kids or you just want a bit of nostalgia, all of Mr. Roger's Neighborhood is available to stream on Amazon Prime!

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Oldstench posted:

Chef was much better than I thought it would be. Sweet without being overly cloying. Even the obvious re-marriage happy ending wasn't that bad. Plus Scarlett Johansson and Sofia Vergara are ridiculously hot throughout. I'm worried that Jon Favreau is just going to explode at some point in the future though.

My sister is visiting, and on a whim we put this on. It was really great. It's an existential comedy/drama that doesn't get too far up its own rear end. I'd recommend it to almost anyone. Every character is enjoyable, and saying that about Sofia Vergara's character really means something.

Bloodline was... different. I liked it a lot, but I feel like I can't recommend it to anyone. It's long, and slowwww, and I can't tell if one of the leads (Danny) is a great actor or a terrible one. I might have just really liked it because Coach Taylor and Lindsay Weir are in it. It's a dysfunctional family drama/mystery that gets darker as it goes on. It's full of flash forwards that lead you on about a inevitable, unpleasant climax.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
New seasons of both Louie and Bob's Burgers have just been added. Time for some serious binge-watching.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Also Season 9 of Trailer Park Boys went up last week on Netflix.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Big Lebowski is (back?) up on Netflix Instant now.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Ryoshi posted:

The Big Lebowski is (back?) up on Netflix Instant now.

I just got the email too.

Thats gonna be fun to rewatch tonight.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Adventure Time was removed. Now what am I going to watch when I wake up in the middle of the night and can't fall back asleep?

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Deadite posted:

Adventure Time was removed. Now what am I going to watch when I wake up in the middle of the night and can't fall back asleep?

I may be biased becauseI really like it as a show in general, but psych always helps me fall asleep

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I am a trillion seasons behind on Adventure Time? Are there any legit streaming sites that have most or all the episodes?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

i flunked out posted:

I may be biased becauseI really like it as a show in general, but psych always helps me fall asleep

Trailer Park Boys is great to go to sleep to. What's more comforting than the harebrained antics of lovable Canadian trailer trash? It's like, "It's 3 AM--stop worrying about your taxes/interview/car payment--just think about all the money you're gonna make with that hash driveway."

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Trailer Park Boys is great to go to sleep to. What's more comforting than the harebrained antics of lovable Canadian trailer trash? It's like, "It's 3 AM--stop worrying about your taxes/interview/car payment--just think about all the money you're gonna make with that hash driveway."

The end titles sound pretty dreamy too.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
It may have already been said but...

Atari: Game Over on Netflix is pretty good. Its about the failed ET game and Atari in general.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I'm new to Amazon Prime. How soon after air date will I be able to purchase new episodes of shows? I'd like to keep up with Mad Men if possible, and the new season starts Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Crow Jane posted:

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I'm new to Amazon Prime. How soon after air date will I be able to purchase new episodes of shows? I'd like to keep up with Mad Men if possible, and the new season starts Sunday.

3-5Days depending on which network its on.

Overseas stuff takes a week.