Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I'm looking at a Thinkpad T450s, and I want to make sure I have a few things understood before I pull any triggers and regret them later.

1) There is only a single bay for 2.5" drives, be they HDDs or SSDs, right?
2) There are three additional places where storage could be mounted. One of them defaults to a 16 GB M.2 SSD which can be replaced by something better. The other two appear to be used by a Smart Card reader. I must not understand something, because who the hell needs to read credit cards directly from a laptop? Is there another usage of Smart Card that I'm not getting? If I do not choose to include the 16 GB M.2 drive, I still have access to all three slots if I also decline the Smart Card reader, correct? (This was discussed earlier in the thread, but I want to make very sure before I do anything dumb.)
3) What are the form factors for the various storage slots that I have just described? 2.5"? mSATA? M.2?
4) What timing does the RAM use? Some very highly-rated RAM I see on Newegg (specifically, this one) comes with a big caveat: it will not work in some machines because the CAS Latency is 9 (whatever that means) rather than 10 or 11.
5) What does the power adapter look like? Is the wall end 2 prongs or 3? The description says "2 pin" on Lenovo's website, but that could also refer to the connection between the power brick and the wall-to-brick plug.

Many thanks for any answers you all can provide.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Apr 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Grundulum posted:

5) What does the power adapter look like? Is the wall end 2 prongs or 3? The description says "2 pin" on Lenovo's website, but that could also refer to the connection between the power brick and the wall-to-brick plug.

I'm looking at my T450s right now and the wall end is a 2 prong.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Grundulum posted:

I'm looking at a Thinkpad T450s, and I want to make sure I have a few things understood before I pull any triggers and regret them later.

1) There is only a single bay for 2.5" drives, be they HDDs or SSDs, right?
2) There are three additional places where storage could be mounted. One of them defaults to a 16 GB M.2 SSD which can be replaced by something better. The other two appear to be used by a Smart Card reader. I must not understand something, because who the hell needs to read credit cards directly from a laptop? Is there another usage of Smart Card that I'm not getting? If I do not choose to include the 16 GB M.2 drive, I still have access to all three slots if I also decline the Smart Card reader, correct? (This was discussed earlier in the thread, but I want to make very sure before I do anything dumb.)
3) What are the form factors for the various storage slots that I have just described? 2.5"? mSATA? M.2?
4) What timing does the RAM use? Some very highly-rated RAM I see on Newegg (specifically, this one) comes with a big caveat: it will not work in some machines because the CAS Latency is 9 (whatever that means) rather than 10 or 11.

1.) Yes, only one 2.5" drive bay.
2.) The laptop will have all three m.2 connections only if you configure it with the 16gb cache drive and no Smart Card reader. If you don't get the cache drive Lenovo will not give you a second or third m.2 connection (part and installation to your motherboard will be left out). And if you get the Smart card reader it will take the place of an m.2 slot.
3.) 1 2.5". 3 m.2 sata iii. One occupied by WWAN. One occupied by cache drive (use this slot for your upgrade) and I believe an empty m.2 slot under the battery?
4.) Lenovo mostly uses CL11 and I'm 99% sure this is the case for the 4gb soldered ram on the board of the t450s.

For my upgrades I'm using these:

m.2 SSD

RAM

And

m.2 enclosure (to reuse 16gb drive)

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Apr 1, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hadlock posted:

Google just announced two new Chromebooks, both $150 from two Chinese brands I've never heard of before. Asus has a new $179 Chromebook and also a Yoga style flip over convertible Chromebook for $250.

Also apparently now they have a Chromecast format/looking chromebook device called the Chromebit for $100 that plugs directly in to your TVs HDMI port and it's about the size of a stick of gum.

Apparently most if not all of these new models use the Rockchip A12/A17 ARM CPU (no Intel, no x86 compatibility) but packs a pretty solid GPU that can decode more than one 1080p video steam at once in real time.

I'm curious to see the benchmarks of that Rockchip Cortex-A17 to see how it stacks up against current-gen Celeron based Chromebooks. Don't know why anyone would pick the Haier or Hisense Rockchip based Chromebook when the Asus one is only $20 more; those two should have been priced at $99 or $129.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Grundulum posted:

2) There are three additional places where storage could be mounted. One of them defaults to a 16 GB M.2 SSD which can be replaced by something better. The other two appear to be used by a Smart Card reader. I must not understand something, because who the hell needs to read credit cards directly from a laptop? Is there another usage of Smart Card that I'm not getting?

FYI, Smart Cards in this context are a security device, typically for corporate login credentials.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

TenaciousTomato posted:

3.) 1 2.5". 3 m.2 sata iii. One occupied by WWAN. One occupied by cache drive (use this slot for your upgrade) and I believe an empty m.2 slot under the battery?

Thanks to you and the others (Tacier, beefnoodle) who responded. If one of the three m.2 slots is taken by the WWAN card, would it be possible to move *that* to the under-battery slot and free up the two more easily-accessible slots for two m.2 drives? Are all three m.2 slots the 2242 size?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

bull3964 posted:

There's a new Surface 3 in play now. Gone are the ARM versions of non-Pros, this one is Cherry Trail ( x7-Z8700 ), so it runs full Windows.

10.8" 1920×1280 3:2 screen. It's quite a bit cheaper than the Surface Pro 3, but this isn't a budget Windows convertible either. The 2GB/64GB unit will retail for $499. The 4GB/128GB version will cost $599. Keyboard cover will still be the same $120 that it costs on the SP3. It supports the same digitizer as the SP3, but you have to buy the pen separately for $50. Charges via micro-usb.

You will also be able to get this in an LTE variant for $100 premium.

It's pricey for the on paper specs compared to what you can get elsewhere, but the hardware design and build quality are top notch and you'll be getting support directly from Microsoft which is great by all accounts.

It'll be interesting to see how the reviews shake out.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/03/microsoft-unveils-the-surface-3-mostly-armless-a-whole-lot-x86ier/

If it's like the other Surface (at least mine, 2), maybe you'll also get 1 year of 200GB Onedrive storage and free Skype credit / wifi, making the price of the whole thing much more palatable.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Spatule posted:

If it's like the other Surface (at least mine, 2), maybe you'll also get 1 year of 200GB Onedrive storage and free Skype credit / wifi, making the price of the whole thing much more palatable.

Comes with 1 year of Office 365, which IIRC includes 1TB of Onedrive

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

dissss posted:

Also a ThinkPad or EliteBook dock isn't going to be attached to a $599 system.

To be fair, I (as an end user) don't see $200 worth of hardware in a Thinkpad dock either so I think half of that is the "it's a ~pro product~" tax :v:

e: how did you get that title Spatule :lol:

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
The Thinkpad Ultra dock that can run two digital displays and the laptop screen at the same is worth $200 for the productivity but the rest of them just seem stupid and even more over priced.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

teagone posted:

I'm curious to see the benchmarks of that Rockchip Cortex-A17 to see how it stacks up against current-gen Celeron based Chromebooks. Don't know why anyone would pick the Haier or Hisense Rockchip based Chromebook when the Asus one is only $20 more; those two should have been priced at $99 or $129.

There are no benchmarks published yet, but the initial reviews said, "faster than some low end Chromebooks".

I'm thinking about ordering one to keep on top of work email at the office. 10 hour battery life is pretty tempting at $150. We just retired our blackberries at work and so everyone is transitioning to BYOD to keep on top of email and production alerts, and a chromebook at $150 with a keyboard is ideal. Senior management has mostly transitioned to personal iPad minis with laptop style keyboard covers.

supercow
Aug 11, 2009
Speaking of docks, I just purchased a Yoga 2 Pro on SA-Mart and I'm thinking of getting a dock for it. I don't think there's any dock made specifically for the Yoga 2 Pro so I was browsing universal docks. Plugable seems to have great reviews everywhere but I can get a new Toshiba DynaDock U3.0 for $60 on craigslist. Any experience with either? Also I think you're not suppose to play games when you have a monitor connected via the dock right? So if I wanted to play games I would be best served plugging in the monitor I'm using for games directly through the mini HDMI port directly on the laptop?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Hadlock posted:

There are no benchmarks published yet, but the initial reviews said, "faster than some low end Chromebooks".

I'm thinking about ordering one to keep on top of work email at the office. 10 hour battery life is pretty tempting at $150. We just retired our blackberries at work and so everyone is transitioning to BYOD to keep on top of email and production alerts, and a chromebook at $150 with a keyboard is ideal. Senior management has mostly transitioned to personal iPad minis with laptop style keyboard covers.

I bought a current-gen Acer Chromebook 11 to supplement a Surface Pro 3 for couch surfing and have been pleasantly surprised by it and the Chromebook concept as a whole. Battery life's great (9+ hours) and performance with a fan-less Celeron setup hasn't been an issue with a bunch of tabs open and HD YouTube/Spotify/podcast running in the background. lovely low-res/low-brightness screen but it's not something I care about for browsing.

If anything, it's highlighted the SP3's flaws - poor battery life, fan kicking in even for YouTube, high-DPI desktop being a pain-in-the-rear end to navigate on a small screen, kickstand being shite for couch-surfing etc.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hadlock posted:

I had a Dell Chromebook 11 that I sold to a family member and realized I missed the convenience of having a beater machine to lug around when I'm not working. If the Haier Chromebook does achieve 10 hours on battery, then for $150 that's a pretty good deal. I expect the Asus C201 to reach or exceed that rated battery life though, since it's predecessor (the C200 powered by a Celeron N2830) had a rated battery life of 11 hours. I'll wait for reviews, but my guess is that the Asus' overall build quality would be worth the $20 premium.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

teagone posted:

I had a Dell Chromebook 11 that I sold to a family member and realized I missed the convenience of having a beater machine to lug around when I'm not working. If the Haier Chromebook does achieve 10 hours on battery, then for $150 that's a pretty good deal. I expect the Asus C201 to reach or exceed that rated battery life though, since it's predecessor (the C200 powered by a Celeron N2830) had a rated battery life of 11 hours. I'll wait for reviews, but my guess is that the Asus' overall build quality would be worth the $20 premium.

I missed the announcement of the C201 in today's news. If it's better than the Haier in some way, I'll probably pick one up.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Another cool bit that was likely missed yesterday regarding Chromebooks is all developers can now port/test their apps to work in a Chrome OS environment. http://www.omgchrome.com/google-launch-port-android-app-to-chrome/

[edit]
The Asus C201 Chromebook is rated for 13 hours of battery life according to Google: http://www.google.com/chromebook/find/

[edit 2]
Another Rockchip A17 based Chromebook with 4GB of RAM is available for pre-order from Oregon based PC maker CTL for $209: http://ctl.net/ctl-j4-chromebook-for-education I've no idea if their products are good are not, but I like the look of that J4; no frills design akin to the Cr-48 is always solid in my book. And from personal experience, Chrome OS feels more breezy on 4GB of ram compared to device with only 2GB. $209 for a 4GB Chromebook is a sweet price since other Chrome OS devices with 4GB of RAM hover around the $300 mark. Anandtech authored up an artcle on the CTL J4 as well: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9123/ctl-launches-new-chromebook-for-education

The Asus C201 still looks to be the lighest, longest lasting Rockchip based Chromebook. It also looks like it charges via USB too. I don't see a DC looking charging port in the press photos.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 2, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I really really hope MS is on top of porting their excellent Android RDP client to chrome. That would make these things the perfect support machine.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I really really hope MS is on top of porting their excellent Android RDP client to chrome. That would make these things the perfect support machine.

I've been using Chrome Remote Desktop without any issues. How does that compare to Microsoft's Android RDP app?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

teagone posted:

I've been using Chrome Remote Desktop without any issues. How does that compare to Microsoft's Android RDP app?

Chrome Remote Desktop is a bit laggier. It's fine for home use, but you really don't want to use something like Chrome Remote Desktop in a corporate environment since the traffic goes through Google's servers. Usually using alternate means of remote access are frowned upon on a corporate network. The big thing is Microsoft's Android RDP app supports Terminal Services Gateway. Their android app is honestly as good as the desktop Remote Desktop client on windows.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I want a gaming laptop. I know. But my work has me travelling a fuckload and I'm basically only home on weekends. I'd prefer a 14" or smaller laptop. It'll be going through airports a lot in checked baggage so I'd like a good warranty on it too. What are the options I should be looking at? Right now I'm looking at the Lenovo Y series, Alienware 13, and Asus Rog.

Also gently caress selling laptops I'm trying to sell my college laptop which has super good warranty and poo poo still and no one gives a goddamn about it

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Ordered a T450, and want to upgrade to more memory when it comes. What is a good reliable brand for memory for laptops nowadays?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

supercow posted:

Speaking of docks, I just purchased a Yoga 2 Pro on SA-Mart and I'm thinking of getting a dock for it. I don't think there's any dock made specifically for the Yoga 2 Pro so I was browsing universal docks. Plugable seems to have great reviews everywhere but I can get a new Toshiba DynaDock U3.0 for $60 on craigslist. Any experience with either? Also I think you're not suppose to play games when you have a monitor connected via the dock right? So if I wanted to play games I would be best served plugging in the monitor I'm using for games directly through the mini HDMI port directly on the laptop?

Lenovo OneLink dock has an HDMI port, OneLink Pro has a DVI and a DisplayPort.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
Upon further investigation, my XPS 13 crappy trackpad scrolling issues magically disappear in Metro or IE... word around the internets is Dell stopped including manufacturer drivers and just left it up to stock MS drivers. Is MS intentionally loving other browsers and things? I can't see why they would do that since it also fucks up Skype and Windows Explorer scrolling. Anyways I briefly contemplated switching to IE, but if I'm going to be leashed into the MS ecosystem I may as well send back this "ultrabook" and get a lovely Surface RT or something.

Firefox browsing is terrible overall as well. Something is not right with this machine.

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Lenovo OneLink dock has an HDMI port, OneLink Pro has a DVI and a DisplayPort.

The OneLink (also pro) docks are ThinkPad-only. He should just get whatever USB3 dock he wants.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

AgentCow007 posted:

Upon further investigation, my XPS 13 crappy trackpad scrolling issues magically disappear in Metro or IE... word around the internets is Dell stopped including manufacturer drivers and just left it up to stock MS drivers. Is MS intentionally loving other browsers and things? I can't see why they would do that since it also fucks up Skype and Windows Explorer scrolling. Anyways I briefly contemplated switching to IE, but if I'm going to be leashed into the MS ecosystem I may as well send back this "ultrabook" and get a lovely Surface RT or something.

Firefox browsing is terrible overall as well. Something is not right with this machine.

They didn't "stop including drivers", they designed it to be in accordance with the Windows Precision Touchpad standard, so all the problems you are having are either Microsoft's fault or the fault of the software vendor for not including support for the latest Windows touchpad standards. I assume Mozilla has to build in support for the Precision Touchpad for it to work smoothly like IE.

But as for the wide variety of features in those third party drivers just aren't available, well.. Microsoft.

Basically, this is Microsoft's attempt at making touchpads as smoothly integrated as they are on Mac laptops. This is probably the trouble period where things are half-assed. I can certainly imagine it working in parts of Windows, but not others.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Apr 2, 2015

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sir Pukesalot posted:

The OneLink (also pro) docks are ThinkPad-only. He should just get whatever USB3 dock he wants.

The Yoga 2 Pro has a OneLink port.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

AgentCow007 posted:

I recently saw a news article talking about Microsoft and Google working together to fix scrolling issues in Chrome, so there's something there.

However Microsoft owns Skype so it doesn't make any sense if that is affected.

Speaking of the XPS13, I noticed the one my mother in law got has a driver for USB Ethernet. Does anyone know why? I mean I know USB ethernet is a thing, but why does the laptop pull the driver by default when it doesn't have an adapter for it attached?

Apok
Jul 22, 2005
I have a title now!

Aphrodite posted:

Speaking of the XPS13, I noticed the one my mother in law got has a driver for USB Ethernet. Does anyone know why? I mean I know USB ethernet is a thing, but why does the laptop pull the driver by default when it doesn't have an adapter for it attached?

Mine did not come with a USB Ethernet driver. I got mine from Microsoft though, and I've heard that Microsoft ships theirs pretty free of bloatware while Dell does the vendor thing and packs it up with extra software.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I got mine from MS and honestly cant say it had anything in the way of bloatware that i noticed

E: It is not an xps 13 tho

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Apok posted:

Mine did not come with a USB Ethernet driver. I got mine from Microsoft though, and I've heard that Microsoft ships theirs pretty free of bloatware while Dell does the vendor thing and packs it up with extra software.

The Dell version was pretty clean too actually. Too clean, even. I had to download the Dell power manager program for her.

Edit: It's this driver: http://www.dell.com/support/home/ca...N&categoryId=CM

It's harmless so I'm not worried or anything, I'm just curious. I just don't know why that would be installed out of the box. The only thing I can think of is that maybe Dell uses the same USB-Ethernet chip in the port replicator they have for the XPS13, but even then there's no need to include it on the system itself when Windows Update will pull it.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 2, 2015

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Aphrodite posted:

The Dell version was pretty clean too actually. Too clean, even. I had to download the Dell power manager program for her.

Edit: It's this driver: http://www.dell.com/support/home/ca...N&categoryId=CM

It's harmless so I'm not worried or anything, I'm just curious. I just don't know why that would be installed out of the box. The only thing I can think of is that maybe Dell uses the same USB-Ethernet chip in the port replicator they have for the XPS13, but even then there's no need to include it on the system itself when Windows Update will pull it.

I noticed the driver also. I think it's for people who are going to break out the brand-new laptop somewhere without WiFi (an office or something) and have bought the USB ethernet adapter that Dell offers in anticipation of that. If Windows doesn't have a driver, and you have no optical drive for a driver CD, it's a bit of a pain in the rear end to get.

My desktop motherboard's ethernet adapter isn't supported by windows initially, and I have no optical drives because my watercooling reservoir takes up the slots... so I've kinda been in that position and this all makes sense to me.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Can someone give me a quick recommendation for a super portable laptop with an SSD? I'm probably just going to run Ubuntu on it, so I was sorta shying away from the 11" Air, but if that's my best option under $1000, then that's what I'm going to go with. I need it for developing while working remote this month.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

A MIRACLE posted:

Can someone give me a quick recommendation for a super portable laptop with an SSD? I'm probably just going to run Ubuntu on it, so I was sorta shying away from the 11" Air, but if that's my best option under $1000, then that's what I'm going to go with

Lenovo X250 and put your own SSD in it? If you need smaller than that, see if some flavor of Lenovo Yoga meets your needs? Macbook air is the other option than that.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Twerk from Home posted:

Lenovo X250 and put your own SSD in it? If you need smaller than that, see if some flavor of Lenovo Yoga meets your needs? Macbook air is the other option than that.

Thanks that's basically what I've been looking at. Can those windows tablet things with fold down keyboards run unixy stuff?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

X250 or the XPS 13 both fill that role

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

Can someone give me a quick recommendation for a super portable laptop with an SSD? I'm probably just going to run Ubuntu on it, so I was sorta shying away from the 11" Air, but if that's my best option under $1000, then that's what I'm going to go with. I need it for developing while working remote this month.

PM'd you

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

Thanks that's basically what I've been looking at. Can those windows tablet things with fold down keyboards run unixy stuff?

I've been researching for my ThinkPad yoga 12, and Ubuntu gnome seems to be the best thing for that.

Also: I can't wait for it to arrive on Tuesday!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Sir Pukesalot posted:

I've been researching for my ThinkPad yoga 12, and Ubuntu gnome seems to be the best thing for that.

Also: I can't wait for it to arrive on Tuesday!

This one?

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkP...s=thinkpad+yoga

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

2. Gen, so this one [url] http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/yoga-series/yoga-12/[/url]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Can someone do a quick comparison of two options for me?

Option 1:
Intel® Core™ i5-5200U Processor
13 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS-Panel
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M with 2GB GDDR5
8GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz (2x 4GB)
256GB M.2 SSD
Killer 1525 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1
4.537Lbs

Option 2:
Intel Core i7-4720HQ 2.6 GHz Processor (Turbo to 3.6GHz).
15.6-Inch IPS FHD Screen.
NVIDIA GTX960M 2G GDDR5.
16 GB DDR3 RAM.
1 TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive & 128 GB SSD.
Wireless 802.11 A/C. Gigabit Ethernet
6 pounds

Price difference is negligible, but I don't know how much difference 16gb ram/i7-4720HQ vs 8gb ram/i5-5200U means.