Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Starbound, still a bad game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Asimo posted:

Starbound, still a bad game.

If Afraid of Audio isnt saying it, I'm skeptical.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

apparently they fixed saving/quitting and getting put back on your ship in the nightly, which is good I guess, but I'm still not happy with how teleporters work.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

[lays hand on Supernorn photograph]

And they say that a hero could save us, I'm not gonna stand here and wait ...

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
Starbound is in fact art.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm mad! Mad about teleporters!

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I honestly don't get why they have such a hard-on for hiding fun gameplay behind "progression"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Afraid of Audio posted:

Starbound is [...] f[...]art.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Tin Tim posted:

I honestly don't get why they have such a hard-on for hiding fun gameplay behind "progression"

You're not allowed to use this item except in the ways we specifically say you can - Developers of a Sandbox game

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I, personally, can't wait for Terraria 2.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Your prayers have been answered

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Wow, I uh... I was only half serious.
Well, neat, that looks really neat.

I like the part with the turrets.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

When does this come out, and on a similar note when is Terraria 1.3 coming out? I don't see anything on their site/boards but I'm also hecka bad at digging though sites.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Evilreaver posted:

hecka bad at digging

I don't think these games are for you :smaug:

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!

david... posted:

I don't think these games are for you :smaug:

david...

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm not a fan of the art style, especially in the mismatch of pixel scale sizes and free rotating pixels and all that, but art is subjective. However, though I posted this in the Terraria thread already, you guys should know a few things before you get too excited:
This isn't Terraria 2. It's more like Terraria B. Redigit did not work on this, it was entirely outsourced to Engine Software, whose previous gaming contributions have been massive amounts of bad movie cash-ins and shovelware, plus the console port content of Terraria (if you've played that, you should know what that says about them), so they don't have a very positive track record. Redigit claims to have had 'creative oversight' of the project but nothing more, so having faith in this project because Terraria was good is kind of unfounded too.
Also, the devs recently announced much of the gameplay would revolve around something they essentially described as "a new take on Tower Defense". So there's that.

I'm not saying it'll be bad, but if this thread's taught us anything it's not to get ahead of ourselves because of a fancy looking trailer, right?

Babe Magnet posted:

"What it means is that you can't just carry it with you all the time and just have a free out"
*saves and quits and loads back onto spaceship*
Yeah they managed to gently caress up teleporters somehow. I know mods will fix it instantly but I really hope they notice their mistake quick and drop the bullshit.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
It's amazing, every time I hear potential good news about this game I eventually learn more and it turns out they're implementing a potentially good thing in a really lovely way. Every loving time.

Teleporters are gonna suck.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Is it just me or do a ton of NES era games have an area that looks like this? This is just a construction I made with blocks though, not a biome. Turns out making new bricks is extremely easy.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!

:stwoon:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

I Said No posted:

Is it just me or do a ton of NES era games have an area that looks like this? This is just a construction I made with blocks though, not a biome. Turns out making new bricks is extremely easy.
That triggered my trypophobia

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

What's that material?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I Said No posted:

AKA 'that environment in the original Metroid they never replicated, ever'

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Tin Tim posted:

Stubbornness. They decided that the game needs real serious progression mechanics, because they're :spergin:, and now they don't want to back down and admit that it's a poo poo idea.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

RottenK posted:

Stubbornness. They decided that the game needs real serious progression mechanics, because they're :spergin:, and now they don't want to back down and admit that it's a poo poo idea.

I hate it and even my kids that love playing it have stopped making new chars because of this forced progression nonsense. Great to have dungeons and the option to do them but when you are forced to do it, gets annoying.

I've taken to just using admin powers to get my kids past the mandatory parts, hopefully they give the option to turn off or auto completes it.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I still leave my dedicated server running, even though I've stopped playing on it for months now.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Turns out 2D sandbox games are garbage

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Bitter Beard posted:

I hate it and even my kids that love playing it have stopped making new chars because of this forced progression nonsense. Great to have dungeons and the option to do them but when you are forced to do it, gets annoying.

I've taken to just using admin powers to get my kids past the mandatory parts, hopefully they give the option to turn off or auto completes it.

In all seriousness, you should tweet/email this to the devs. Minecraft lives off the backs of the kids that play it obsessively, and I'm sure Starbound wants that too.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Ahundredbux posted:

Turns out sandbox games are garbage

:agreed:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

quote:

Find Teleporter Cores in the world
New Outpost store, the 2-Stop Teleshop, lets you use a Teleporter Core to create various types of teleporters to suit your style
Breaking a teleporter destroys it, but refunds the Teleporter Core

That doesn't really sound horrible?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Magmarashi posted:

It really does, though, and they're doing it for the stupidest possible reason.
I guess it's OK if you like backtracking to the outpost every time you want to move a teleporter even a goddamn inch, and also like wasting lots of pixels???

Seriously, it's like they hired the Gregtech guy or something. Every recent lovely change has been for the sake of "balance" in a game that really doesn't need it, because it's a loving sandbox buildgame. Just give people cool poo poo and let them do what they want.

e:

The White Dragon posted:

You'd have to recraft it, though, and probably at some weird bench that you aren't gonna just be carrying around with you. Why would you insist on all these lovely steps?

Not even a bench. If you want to fix your teleporter yourself then tough poo poo, because you have to physically go back to the store in the outpost and buy a new one with your core and a bunch of pixels.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 3, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Magmarashi posted:

You'd have to recraft it, though, and probably at some weird bench that you aren't gonna just be carrying around with you. Why would you insist on all these lovely steps?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Magmarashi posted:

You have to be playing starbound

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

I don't insist, I just don't feel that it's so drat dire.

You just gotta go back to the shop, use the core to get a new one.

Maybe I actually am inured to dumb bullshit thanks to Modded MC and MMOs and other poo poo, but it makes me feel better to think everyone else is a bunch of babies. :shrug:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Starbound thread's biggest apologist: Bad thing could be Worse :shrug:

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Magmarashi posted:

inured to dumb bullshit thanks to Modded MC

There it is. Modded MC's dumb bullshit is something that developers should be striving to avoid, rather than falling all over each other to implement.
The only people who willingly put up with it are the people who are so far gone that they've erroneously convinced themselves it's actually reasonable and entertaining.

Your viewpoint is hugely skewed and if you tried to put a normal person down in front of Gregtech or Industrialcraft they would tell you to gently caress off and go play Mario or something.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 3, 2015

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

as someone whose brain can partially stand modded minecraft poo poo i would not wish it on the population at large and would heavily advise against it being in anything else

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Cicadas! posted:

There it is. Modded MC's dumb bullshit is something that developers should be striving to avoid, rather than falling all over each other to implement.
The only people who willingly put up with it are the people who are so far gone that they've erroneously convinced themselves it's actually reasonable and entertaining.

Your viewpoint is hugely skewed and if you tried to put a normal person down in front of Gregtech or Industrialcraft they would tell you to gently caress off and go play Mario or something.

I don't think it's super inspired and a great mechanic, I am just straight up neutral on it. I'd change it if was my decision to make just so I didn't have to deal with the moaning, but other than that It really isn't registering alongside all the games other glaring issues.

You don't have to go full greg or IC to find dumb MC bullshit, even the 'good' mods are full of Stupid Artistic Vision nonsense that does little more than create a hassle for no reason. Pretty much any tech mod now has pointless 'tiers' for poo poo, Thermal Expansion added their ducts back in but now you have to craft lovely ones that can pretty much only carry water without busting before you can craft ones that carry the poo poo you want them to because ~reasons~

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 3, 2015

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Magmarashi posted:

I don't think it's super inspired and a great mechanic, I am just straight up neutral on it. I'd change it if was my decision to make just so I didn't have to deal with the moaning, but other than that It really isn't registering alongside all the games other glaring issues

I am happy to tell you that you are a fringe case and that any person who actually plays video games to have a good time and not watch progress bars would almost definitely disagree with you.

Magmarashi posted:

You don't have to go full greg or IC to find dumb MC bullshit, even the 'good' mods are full of Stupid Artistic Vision nonsense that does little more than create a hassle for no reason. Pretty much any tech mod now has pointless 'tiers' for poo poo, Thermal Expansion added their ducts back in but now you have to craft lovely ones that can pretty much only carry water without busting before you can craft ones that carry the poo poo you want them to because ~reasons~

e: alright so here's a followup question: Why is this okay, and not something that should be steered away from?

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Magmarashi posted:

It really isn't registering alongside all the games other glaring issues.

Starbound. So bad that even awful problems go unnoticed.

• Locked thread