Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

PleasureKevin posted:

just put it in the :yaycloud:
worked for foursquare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
ps you want the jsonb column type

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BLT Clobbers posted:

ive to import a customers mongdob data into a sql db once a month. what's the best way of doing this without killing myself. would killing myself be preferable. what is the recommended way of killing oneself.

ssis

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Luigi is extremely sick

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

BLT Clobbers posted:

ive to import a customers mongdob data into a sql db once a month. what's the best way of doing this without killing myself. would killing myself be preferable. what is the recommended way of killing oneself.

Process the data with spark and import it with kafka

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

PleasureKevin posted:

mongodb is actually good

i went from SQL to mongo and there is basically nothing to learn

you just make javascript objects but now they have a .save() function

making a "schema" is as easy as making a javascript object, no signing in to phpmyadmin or SQL tools and making new DBs and tables and poo poo (or via command line if you're that cool)

i just learned about sub-documents which replace the need for many-to-many databases in many cases and are really easy to use

as far as usability and speed it seems amazing. the only complaint i've heard is people lost data due to bugs a couple years ago (well, more than once).

this doesn't give me any pleasure kevin.

no pleasure at all.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i don't really have any rhetoric to defend mongodb, I didn't think I'd. we'd any

it just works

you guys sound like IYG meets CoC

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
it just works, until you want your data back

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
mongodb: the world's first write-only medium

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
someone post that article where a nosql retard learns all about the incredible benefits of relational databases

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

mongodb: the world's first write-only medium

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

PleasureKevin posted:

i don't really have any rhetoric to defend mongodb, I didn't think I'd. we'd any

it just works

you guys sound like IYG meets CoC

it doesn't just work tho. that's the point. taking absolutely no effort to set up or thought to use isn't equivalent to just working.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

PleasureKevin posted:

it just works

yeah it ~suits your needs~

chances are it eventually wont

have fun dude, hope it works out

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

its like havin sex with a chinese finger trap. feels great right up until you wanna get out.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
mongodb is perfect if your data is worthless

eg it's going to be the storage backend in titan

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i am actually a good programmer

APRIL FOOLS!!!!!!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
it only works if someone believed it

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
introducing placeboDB

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it just works, until you want your data back

i was going to empty quote this and add extra stuff but yeah it's pretty much "until you want your data back"

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i've only seen mongo be used where a relational database would've been a better choice, i think it having "db" in the name makes it misleading when what you want is some kind of caching or some kind of serialized key-object storage that you don't mind losing due to gamma waves and definitely do not want replicated effectively

http://docs.mongodb.org/ecosystem/use-cases/ none of these seem like a particularly good idea for mongo

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

how is mongo so bad and why do people keep using it

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i wish i had a nice intellectual argument for mongo being bad but i don't beyond the operational aspects of it being garbage

this is the negative of just using an orm and not giving a poo poo about db structure

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Forums Terrorist posted:

its easy to use

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
alternately

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2F-DItXtZs

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

knew what this was going to be before clicking

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Share Bear posted:

i've only seen mongo be used where a relational database would've been a better choice, i think it having "db" in the name makes it misleading when what you want is some kind of caching or some kind of serialized key-object storage that you don't mind losing due to gamma waves and definitely do not want replicated effectively

http://docs.mongodb.org/ecosystem/use-cases/ none of these seem like a particularly good idea for mongo

you start out with something that's just key/document storage, then later you realize you have additional relational requirements. mongodb seemed fine, up until it wasn't.

if you start with postgres hstore as your k/v datastore, adding relational data later is a cakewalk.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Forums Terrorist posted:

software developers play with it on their desktops and like it (as long as they remain completely ignorant of changing requirements, operational concerns, or scaling problems)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mongo seems to work pretty well for the Parse team, though they may have a specialized persistence layer deployed (I know they're working on one, not sure how far along it is)

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
you get an exception because you're operating at a scale most people won't ever see in passing, much less work on, and full of some super-smart people who understand the advantages and more importantly the limitations of a product

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sure, but my point is that mongo isn't irredeemable, as is the thesis in this thread. "mongo is good for X, watch out for Y" versus "it is the dev of null".

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

lol

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

http://webscalesql.org/ aka the coalition of poor sods who are stuck using mysql for serious applications

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Subjunctive posted:

sure, but my point is that mongo isn't irredeemable, as is the thesis in this thread. "mongo is good for X, watch out for Y" versus "it is the dev of null".

i mentioned that document databases have use cases, but ime mongo was pretty crashy. sometimes it would spontaneously shut down without logging an error. granted, i haven't used it in a couple years

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

mongo enables people to make big mistakes (such as choosing mongo) much faster which is a plus i guess????

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DaTroof posted:

i mentioned that document databases have use cases, but ime mongo was pretty crashy. sometimes it would spontaneously shut down without logging an error. granted, i haven't used it in a couple years

I'm sure nothing has changed in a couple of years.

I don't like mongo either, but the reasoning in the thread seems pretty shallow

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Subjunctive posted:

reliability, data integrity, acid compliance, normalization

not all applications require the last couple, but too often people who assume they don't need them are wrong

see: bitcoin exchanges

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also the idea that it makes development faster is a complete myth (just like using orms).

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
dear diary: today I got to use the ^?! operator in my befunge interpreter

http://lpaste.net/130048

(any haskellers want to critique?)

haskell is piss poo poo garbage language etc etc etc

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

please find out the reasoning from the team that shipped a good working product that never requires reports be generated solely from that data, especially resulting in an single day's long aggregation and incorrect data due to writes failing during the aggregation and there is no recourse that fits within the current project budget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you company runs on its reporting and your reporting runs on your data. do not let your application decide how the data works. ever.

• Locked thread