Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

CelticPredator posted:

Devin Faraci put up a podcast about which Alien film is better, Alien or Aliens. That sounds like fun, I love the Alien movies, and RLM's discussion on them was very nice and fun to listen too.
:itwaspoo: It was then I realized I can't listen to two people angerly debate which film is better, because they both own.

Although, maybe it was because the podcast was bad. Hmm.

I liked it, but when they're also debating to a live crowd - while getting drunk - then it's going to descend into madness, particularly with Kumail there to goad them.

Take the jackassery out of it though and I think Devin puts forward some really good arguments in favour of Alien, whereas Amy - who I usually like - just doesn't seem to know what to say other than weirdly trying to argue that everything good in Alien is a mistake and Ridley Scott is a bad director.

Though I'm glad to know I'm not the only person who has issues with the pacing in Aliens, even in the theatrical cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm not going to hide the fact that I'm insanely biased and think both films are pretty much perfect in my eyes, so debating about which is better, when the debaters don't respect both films, will frustrate me no matter what. "Alien is a visually fantastic film!" Oh, I agree! "Aliens is a really fun movie!" gently caress yeah it is! "Aliens is also boring stupid garbage, unlike Alien which is art." Nooo. "Well, Alien is loving boring and nothing happens!" Nooooooooo.

I also kind of hate this anti Aliens thing that seemed to pop up recently.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I had free starz or whatever channel for the weekend and the only thing i watched on it was Aliens SE because their pirate show is stupid

alien -> :psyboom: :gizz: <-- auto turret

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That and the daughter scene are the only good thing about the directors cut.

But I like the LV-426 scene on it's own.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Pillars of Eternity is set in a world where wizards who lift weights do more damage with their fireballs and magic missiles. A good game.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Manoel de Oliveira died at 106, his latest full length feature was in 2012, very prolific to say the least.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Honest Thief posted:

Manoel de Oliveira died at 106, his latest full length feature was in 2012, very prolific to say the least.

Oh man :( That sucks. Does anyone know how far he was on The Church of the Devil?

I was pullin' for him to break 110. Does he hold any world records for Oldest Director or anything?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I don't know how I went this long without knowing Jeff Bridges's dad was Lloyd Bridges, of High Noon and Airplane!

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

K. Waste posted:

Their collab on Giant God Warrior Appears in Tokyo was pretty good, and bodes well, me thinks: https://vimeo.com/64987176

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In case anyone was wondering what this might look like: Giant God Warrior Appears in Tokyo

e; goddmanit
It's dope.

I love the tiny prop dog that wiggles and has barking dubbed over it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

morestuff posted:

I don't know how I went this long without knowing Jeff Bridges's dad was Lloyd Bridges, of High Noon and Airplane!

Yep! You can see where the Dude gets his comic timing from.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

TrixRabbi posted:

Oh man :( That sucks. Does anyone know how far he was on The Church of the Devil?

I was pullin' for him to break 110. Does he hold any world records for Oldest Director or anything?

I'll be honest, while I like about 3 or 4 of his almost hundred movies, I haven't been following his later years. To us, he always respected but kinda like Jerry Lewis to Americans, the French are the ones who really, really liked his work.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Jerry Lewis is to the French what Roman Polanski is to child rapists

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

So far, 2 episodes in, X-Files season 6 is my favorite.

When I was a kid, I watched the movie all the time. Watched the show a few times, but I was too young to really get into it. So season six starting off as a continuation of the movie with the stomech bursting attack Grey's is super :black101: to me. That whole sequence with the Alien in the power plant just owns.

And then Drive. Drive is my favorite X-Files episode. It has 3 things I love. Exploding heads. Vince Gilligan and Bryan Cranston.

There are a whole lot of really good stand alone episodes in that season but by that time I was done done done with mythology episodes.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

So I work at a Catholic school and a few students in a class today were telling me they all got in trouble in religion class for laughing a bunch at a movie they were being shown that was unintentionally hilarious but the teacher took very seriously. That film's name?

Albert Einstein God's Not Dead. Couldn't help but smile a little.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 2, 2015

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
You'd be pressed to find a student in a Catholic school who doesn't laugh at anything religious, but that's still a good story.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

morestuff posted:

Seems like you finally picked the right day to stop sniffing glue.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Honest Thief posted:

You'd be pressed to find a student in a Catholic school who doesn't laugh at anything religious, but that's still a good story.

I can't remember the comedian's name, but I always liked this bit where he says, "whenever I tell people I went to Catholic School for 12 years they ask my why I'm not Catholic, and I tell them 'because I went to Catholic School for 12 years.'"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Man, Ninja Scroll looks pretty in HD. I always thought it was kinda shonky looking in SD but I guess Manga just didn't take care of their print.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
YTOTD is a playlist for Dickeye. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMDkfK4Fl-w

All of The FBI Files just so happens to be on YouTube.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
More movies should end with the villain being encased in molten gold and kicked into the ocean while the protagonist screams "BURN IN YOUR GOLDEN HELL" tbh

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

LORD OF BUTT posted:

More movies should end with the villain being encased in molten gold and kicked into the ocean while the protagonist screams "BURN IN YOUR GOLDEN HELL" tbh

The end of Battlefield Earth is the ultimate in gold-based endings.

Heh heh heh.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
You better not be trying to burn Ninja Scroll bitch

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
As terrible as it is that that Indiana "Religious Freedom" law is, the humoungus outcry from all corners of the country is pretty heartening.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Skwirl posted:

As terrible as it is that that Indiana "Religious Freedom" law is, the humoungus outcry from all corners of the country is pretty heartening.

The best part is all the Republican candidates are lined up for it right now so pretty much just play those videos all day long in October.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

LORD OF BUTT posted:

You better not be trying to burn Ninja Scroll bitch

I haven't seen Ninja Scroll, but I don't see how its gold-based end could top dreadlock space libertarian John Travolta imprisoned with a bunch of gold, while Forrest Whitaker sleepwalks through his dreadlock space libertarian role. Heh heh heh.

(Battlefield Earth is really bad, but I love how stupid it is)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntiPIVSiysQ

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

I see you have leverage. I also have leverage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xACbVe7o9Rs

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i think i like Face/Off more and more every time i see it

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Because it's gold

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

YTOTD is a playlist for Dickeye. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMDkfK4Fl-w

All of The FBI Files just so happens to be on YouTube.

This is hot but let me know if you come across American Justice anywhere. That was baby's first true crime and it scared the balls off me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FishBulb posted:

Because it's gold

those gold dual pistols are great.

i rented kind of a weird slate of movies from the library the other day:

Wild
Ride the Pink Horse
Clean, Shaven
The Cow
Coriolanus (BBC production)
Mona Lisa

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Face/Off... I could watch a Face/Off for hours...

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I haven't seen Ninja Scroll, but I don't see how its gold-based end could top dreadlock space libertarian John Travolta imprisoned with a bunch of gold, while Forrest Whitaker sleepwalks through his dreadlock space libertarian role. Heh heh heh.

(Battlefield Earth is really bad, but I love how stupid it is)

The only upload of the scene from Ninja Scroll is a shitpile and I have it handy in HD + Adobe Premiere, hold on a few and Imma flex my youtube dick all over the place

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's so gloriously sleazy.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It's so gloriously sleazy.

it's just so downright loving weird. it ping-pongs back and forth from daffy comedy to pretty intense psychological drama to these wonderfully big and dumb sci-fi tinged action scenes. i find it kinda crazy that it was as big a hit as it was, both commercially and critically. stuff that bizarre and goofy doesn't often strike a chord with so many people. i wish Woo's American stuff had kept going in that direction.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it's just so downright loving weird. i find it kinda crazy that it was as big a hit as it was, both commercially and critically. stuff that bizarre and goofy doesn't often strike a chord with so many people. i wish Woo's American stuff had kept going in that direction.

The movie seems to be pretty grounded in a hyper-stylish reality (with the one borderline sci-fi element of face-switching) and then you get to the prison from Fortress.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

The movie seems to be pretty grounded in a hyper-stylish reality (with the one borderline sci-fi element of face-switching) and then you get to the prison from Fortress.

exactly! the whole prison section of the movie is so great. it's got this sense of "yeah, we know this is dumb, but we don't care, and we're betting you don't either."

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

I loving love Fortress and I don't know why

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Fortress owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

I loving love Fortress and I don't know why

Christopher Lambert is a dreamboat.

• Locked thread