Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Luceo posted:

Runs away, of course.

All eight of them, before you even get a chance to attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

You can already pre-order Heroes from their online store.

https://store.na.square-enix.com/product/282618/dragon-quest-heroes-ps4

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I want the loving special edition PS4. Come on, guys, let me give you my money!

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I want the loving special edition PS4. Come on, guys, let me give you my money!

Not an emptyquote. Give me that liquid metal slime babble whatever!

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I should have been following this thread months ago.

I got DQ Heroes (and the associated PS4) but got stuck on the install thing because PSN makes you download a 4.43 gig file for the install, and then doesn't tell you the actual game is 22.77 gigs and secretly downloads while you play, unless you go into like three submenus on the home screen. This is the dumbest thing.

I guess there hasn't been any announcement about Theatrhythm DQ in the US?

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Hokuto posted:

I guess there hasn't been any announcement about Theatrhythm DQ in the US?

No. :sigh:

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
A Japanese WWII radio operator wrote some incredibly detailed notes on DQV. Discovered by his grandson, apparently they're detailed enough to serve as a strategy guide for the game. Pretty cool!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Obviously that needs to be licensed and translated.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I asked in the Android Gaming thread but I figure y'all probably know better. So I just bought DQ3 on Android and I have two questions:

Is there a world map in this game? Maybe I'm too early or maybe I'm missing something obvious but I can't seem to figure out how to view the world map. I remember just pressing Select on the GBC version.

Will this game stop working with Lollipop? I got a VZW Note 4 and am eagerly awaiting the update but if it makes this game unplayable, then I sort of just tossed $10 away, didn't I?

Also, I have a filez version of DQ8 on my tablet (I was just testing how the game ran I swear :ninja:). I want to buy it on my account so I can play it on my phone as well. Think if I purchase it, I can transfer my save from the less-than-official version on my tablet onto a licensed version on my Note 4 via the Cloud Saving option?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

KingSlime posted:

Is there a world map in this game? Maybe I'm too early or maybe I'm missing something obvious but I can't seem to figure out how to view the world map. I remember just pressing Select on the GBC version.

As I recall, you get it right before you leave the first continent.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Cool, that works. So correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the GBC version give you the map on the fly? Or was it also until you got through the first continent?

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

KingSlime posted:

Cool, that works. So correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the GBC version give you the map on the fly? Or was it also until you got through the first continent?

You got the map on the fly as you enter the last dungeon in the first continent, at least in the GBC/SNES versions.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Ahh I guess it's been a while. I remember thinking it was awesome how the map was grayed out and revealed areas as you explored them, a nice change from II's approach, where it was just a fully viewable map. Then again, getting ahold of it was hardly on-the-fly and several hours into the game, after you'd been wandering aimlessly for a while.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 26, 2015

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

KingSlime posted:

So I just bought DQ3 on Android and I have two questions:

Will this game stop working with Lollipop? I got a VZW Note 4 and am eagerly awaiting the update but if it makes this game unplayable, then I sort of just tossed $10 away, didn't I?

I have a Nexus 5 with stock Lollipop (5.1) and the game runs just fine.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Longshot question, and might be too :filez: to post here, but...

Did anyone emulate DQM Joker 2? I'm trying to trade with myself to get more than one Captain Crow, I have a legit copy and an R4, but I can't get the R4 .sav file into a format that the save editor that I found online will read. If anyone either knew what format to use, or if desmume can export in some specific way, or if one of the save converters online will convert it into something usable, or even just had an old save lying around, that'd be super helpful.

e: actually, solved everything except getting it back into R4-readable format!

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 31, 2015

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
On a similar note to that, I'm thinking about picking up some of the past games. Concerning the stuff that shares between other owners of the game, that's probably now defunct, right? Or does Streetpass magically handle it now (on a 3ds, I mean)?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
The WiFi is dead because the Nintendo WFC servers were all taken down, but the player-to-player stuff still works if you explicitly put the game in Tag Mode. Streetpass won't do it. So in practice, entirely dead, unless you go to a large con where you might find one or two DQ9 diehards who will probably share you all that you need: the WiFi quests and, ideally, also the one map that just has a bunch of metal king slimes on one floor.

(solved my issue by going desmume > no$gba format > online converter)

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Square Enix announced Dragon Quest Heroes 2 for the PS3, PS4, and Vita today. No joke or anything.

Surprised that it's announced already but I guess it's selling enough or doing well enough. Hoping we hear about XI soon.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

So this is them announcing the sequel for the game that is not even out in the west yet?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

So this is them announcing the sequel for the game that is not even out in the west yet?

Yeah. Pretty much.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

BadAstronaut posted:

Isn't that what every DQ game has been for the last, what, five years? :(

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Honestly, if you're going to rent DQH or whatever or you just have a slight passing interest in it, I suggest holding off on getting DQH and waiting for DQH2. Musou is a series that is mostly iterative. So the first game in a Musou usually has limited characters and maps and isn't that great. There are exceptions to this rule such as Samurai Warriors 1 which remains one of the best in its series due to its incredible balance and darker tone. But generally, in Musou, the first game creates the idea of the game, and the second and third expands upon it by adding more characters, mechanics, and awesome. A good example of this is One Piece Pirate Warriors. The first one was pretty eh. But the second one nailed it and it was awesome as poo poo. So if you're interested in DQH but not enough that you're interested in paying full price, hold off and wait for DQH2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Himuro posted:

Honestly, if you're going to rent DQH or whatever or you just have a slight passing interest in it, I suggest holding off on getting DQH and waiting for DQH2. Musou is a series that is mostly iterative. So the first game in a Musou usually has limited characters, and isn't that great. There are exceptions to this rule such as Samurai Warriors 1 which remains one of the best in its series due to its incredible balance and darker tone. But generally, in Musou, the first game creates the idea of the game, and the second and third expands upon it by adding more characters, mechanics, and awesome. A good example of this is One Piece Pirate Warriors. The first one was pretty eh. But the second one nailed it and it was awesome as poo poo. So if you're interested in DQH but not enough that you're interested in paying full price, hold off and wait for DQH2.

This is pretty untrue. Direct sequels, especially to the anime-based games, are a mixed bag. They have more content but often make design decisions that make the games worse. Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 was a grindy mess, FotNS was lol, and even in Dynasty Warriors games they can have one step forward/two step back things like the poo poo-rear end Renbu system.

Meanwhile Hyrule Warriors was fuckin' great, one of the best, despite being the first attempt.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

ImpAtom posted:

This is pretty untrue. Direct sequels, especially to the anime-based games, are a mixed bag. They have more content but often make design decisions that make the games worse. Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 was a grindy mess, FotNS was lol, and even in Dynasty Warriors games they can have one step forward/two step back things like the poo poo-rear end Renbu system.

Meanwhile Hyrule Warriors was fuckin' great, one of the best, despite being the first attempt.

Maybe you're right. It's so random, especially with the anime games. I tend to find the first ones that are good being exceptions, though. I'm mostly telling this to people who are now skeptical or annoyed at buying a game that had a sequel announced already. From what I hear, DQH is certainly worth buying.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
A DQ game is actually being released in the west. Don't skip it. I'll be surprised if DQH2 makes it over here as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Adam Bowen posted:

A DQ game is actually being released in the west. Don't skip it. I'll be surprised if DQH2 makes it over here as well.

I think it's a safe bet honestly.

Musou games are easy (and often low-budget) translations that sell to a dedicated market of "musou fans" and people who like whatever the thing is based off of. If we can get all four Dynasty Warriors Gundam games we'll get both Dragon Warriors games.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Same goes with the One Piece games. All three have come out here. Or at least two of them have, the third one is coming out here eventually.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I just want the Monsters games.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Justin_Brett posted:

I wish I hadn't lost my copy of Joker 2 :(

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Taran_Wanderer posted:

I wish I hadn't lost my copy of Joker 2 :(

Speaking of Joker 2, didn't that get an expanded re-release in Japan at the same time the base game was released in English?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

That loving Sned posted:

Speaking of Joker 2, didn't that get an expanded re-release in Japan at the same time the base game was released in English?
Yeah, Professional version. We never got it :(

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Justin_Brett posted:

I loving love the remakes and would rebuy them if they ever came out in english. (They won't).

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, Professional version. We never got it :(

Doesn't look like there's a fan translation either, which were great for playing games like Kingdom Hearts II and Final Fantasy XII's re-releases. I'm just glad it came out at all, since hardly any of the 3DS games were translated.

SlimeSanction
Oct 21, 2008
Does anyone know the point increments for buying new characters in Dragon Quest Theatrythym?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Dragon Quest VIII is coming out on the 3DS.

http://gematsu.com/2015/05/dragon-quest-viii-remake-coming-3ds

I'm having a minor stroke.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

God damnit. I thought you were saying that DQ7 was coming to the US. This is just another thing that we'll never see over here.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Adam Bowen posted:

God damnit. I thought you were saying that DQ7 was coming to the US. This is just another thing that we'll never see over here.

I'm hoping for some loving reason Nintendo announces it at E3 or something. Won't happen but I believe.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Adam Bowen posted:

I thought that's what it was too, my hopes went up and now I'm sad.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

They're releasing DQ Heroes in English and DQ8 is a pretty decent looking game unlike DQ7, so I guess now that I think about it there is a reasonable possibility it could come out over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Skeezy posted:

Dragon Quest VIII is coming out on the 3DS.

http://gematsu.com/2015/05/dragon-quest-viii-remake-coming-3ds

I'm having a minor stroke.

There's no loving way this is coming out in the US, right? I guess if Heroes sells 2 million copies maybe.