Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Gantolandon posted:

It's like satanism in Harry Potter - repeatedly seeing the main character waving a wand and spouting bad Latin makes you more susceptible to diabolic influence. When you buy an engagement ring, you follow a misogynistic ritual imprinting your brain with hatred towards women. Reactionary propaganda is everywhere and you need constant vigilance to prevent the sin from entering your thoughts. You can never be sure enough whether a seemingly fun activity isn't a gateway towards violence and membership in a neo-nazi party.

Fortunately, the Satan white men occasionally slip and leave hidden codes in their works, like their prejudice towards black smoke. Perhaps if you look at the ring long enough, you'll see its resemblance to a manacle - the spot with the diamond is where normally chain should go. It's usually made of gold or other precious metal. symbolizing the power of market over people. Diamonds represent tears of enslaved women, shackled to their owner. The tradition of the man kneeling before the woman is a clever deception meant to soften the symbolic blow - just like the capitalist poses as a benefactor to oppress their employees, the would-be groom pretends to humble himself before his chosen to get her to accept the poisonous gift.

Don't believe false prophets telling you that rituals can lose their significance with time - this is what the white man wants you to believe. It's true, but only for minority cultures. Cultural artifacts created by the Adversary are like radioactive waste - in 5000 years they may be safe to watch from a safe distance for several minutes. Don't risk your soul to follow a tradition!

You know that nobody's actually going to crucify you, in real life, and that your attempt at martyrdom just looks insane, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"
I haven't really followed the engagement ring discussion because I have SedanChair on ignore because he's crazy..

Engagement rings are fine.

Expecting the man to buy the engagement ring for the woman isn't. That's really obviously sexist.

But it's also not a big deal and it's only a pretty mild kind of sexism.

The idea has always seemed kinda silly to me because you're going to share finances after you're married anyway.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Why are you forcing patriarchal expectations on strange women at bars?

:goonsay:

This thread is the gift that keeps on giving.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

-Troika- posted:

Thanks for keeping us informed on the nauseating details of your inner life.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

-Troika- posted:

lmao

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Obdicut posted:

The idea has always seemed kinda silly to me because you're going to share finances after you're married anyway.

Not always - many married pairs keep their finances partially separate to avoid having to grovel for permission when they want to buy something their partner doesn't like.

Effectronica posted:

You know that nobody's actually going to crucify you, in real life, and that your attempt at martyrdom just looks insane, right?

What kind of martyrdom posting on comedy forums might entail?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Gantolandon posted:

The burden of educating racists about the history of engagement rings.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Gantolandon posted:

This is barely English- are you crying right now? Making some educated guesswork, I believe you're asking why you'd martyr yourself on a "comedy forums". Well, that's what I'd like to know, because it's very strange behavior indeed, ranting about how much hatred falls upon white people and so on.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TheImmigrant posted:

Homophobic, I know, not trying to pick up men equally.

Yes, it is.

And when we finally outlaw homophobia, it will be illegal for you to discriminate against male sexual partners, as it should be. And the best part? Even though you've figured it out and can see it coming, no one will believe you about the gay agenda until it's too late, Cassandra.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Effectronica posted:

This is barely English- are you crying right now? Making some educated guesswork, I believe you're asking why you'd martyr yourself on a "comedy forums". Well, that's what I'd like to know, because it's very strange behavior indeed, ranting about how much hatred falls upon white people and so on.

For a person so dedicated to social justice, you could probably cut a foreigner some slack for not speaking your dominant language perfectly. Some of us actually speak in less useful languages in our everyday lives and have to struggle to make an English sentence with proper grammar. Check your privilege.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Gantolandon posted:

For a person so dedicated to social justice, you could probably cut a foreigner some slack for not speaking your dominant language perfectly. Some of us actually speak in less useful languages in our everyday lives and have to struggle to make an English sentence with proper grammar. Check your privilege.

Why is it that just about everyone that likes to rant about liberalism and make grotesque accusations has a blatant glass jaw? Like, what, do you expect people to thank you for insulting them?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Look I'm all for social justice and stuff, but when it comes close to criticizing me or my actions it's just PC MADNESS TAKEN TOO FAR!

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Obdicut posted:

I haven't really followed the engagement ring discussion because I have SedanChair on ignore because he's crazy..

Expecting the man to buy the engagement ring for the woman isn't. That's really obviously sexist.

I'm more concerned about her being insulted if I don't buy one, than I am about its antiquated meaning.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Obdicut posted:

It's not, though. If you think this is true, then compare it with another concept--like racism, privilege, etc--that have economic, legal, etc. effects, but are rooted in the cultural.

Is culture the basis of everything that happens in your opinion? I'm not trying to strawman you, just trying to figure out what our disconnect is.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

-Troika- posted:

:ironicat:

Obdicut posted:

Engagement rings are fairly patriarchal but if your intended want's one regardless you're not really hurting anyone. Except the people living in the countries that conflict diamond probably came from. :shobon:

Zeitgueist fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 2, 2015

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

unlimited shrimp posted:

I'm more concerned about her being insulted if I don't buy one, than I am about its antiquated meaning.

It's not the antiquated meaning that matters. It's the current meaning.

Zeitgueist posted:

Engagement rings are fairly patriarchal but if your intended want's one regardless you're not really hurting anyone. Except the people living in the countries that conflict diamond probably came from. :shobon:

Yeah, basically.

dogcrash truther posted:

Is culture the basis of everything that happens in your opinion? I'm not trying to strawman you, just trying to figure out what our disconnect is.

Nope. I don't know what our disconnect is. In the case of black musicians not being allowed to play at certain venues, for example, that wasn't an economic cause. It was a cultural reason. It had an economic effect.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Why is it that just about everyone that likes to rant about liberalism and make grotesque accusations has a blatant glass jaw? Like, what, do you expect people to thank you for insulting them?

Um, dude, my English sucks and I know it. I just find it funny that you spend a lot of time harping about American dominance and privilege, but criticizing a foreigner for writing a mangled sentence in your native language is still all right for you if you dislike them. It's like seeing a fire-and-brimstone Christian priest visiting a gay bar.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Gantolandon posted:

Um, dude, my English sucks and I know it. I just find it funny that you spend a lot of time harping about American dominance and privilege, but criticizing a foreigner for writing a mangled sentence in your native language is still all right for you if you dislike them. It's like seeing a fire-and-brimstone Christian priest visiting a gay bar.

You see nothing wrong with writing snide posts about how everyone on the wrong side of the issue is a tyrannical insane racist, but apparently there's something wrong with them punching back. Uh-huh. Uh-huh.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Effectronica posted:

You see nothing wrong with writing snide posts about how everyone on the wrong side of the issue is a tyrannical insane racist, but apparently there's something wrong with them punching back. Uh-huh. Uh-huh.

Check your English privilege, Cletus.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheImmigrant posted:

Check your English privilege, Cletus.

Go back to your trip to Antarctica to rescue the penguins or whatever.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Effectronica posted:

Go back to your trip to Antarctica to rescue the penguins or whatever.

Cletus, I'm sorry you took it the wrong way when I urinated in your anus, but you need to lighten up.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheImmigrant posted:

Cletus, I'm sorry you took it the wrong way when I urinated in your anus, but you need to lighten up.

Remember the time you freaked out because I used a word you didn't know?

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Obdicut posted:

Nope. I don't know what our disconnect is. In the case of black musicians not being allowed to play at certain venues, for example, that wasn't an economic cause. It was a cultural reason. It had an economic effect.

Well that's exactly the disconnect right there, because I think it was an economic cause that had cultural effects.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Zeitgueist posted:

:ironicat:

Buy Botswanan. Botswanese?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

dogcrash truther posted:

Well that's exactly the disconnect right there, because I think it was an economic cause that had cultural effects.

What was the economic cause?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Obdicut posted:

Better to be insane than crushingly tedious and willfully ignorant. Nobody said that it was a "big" deal, only that it is in fact a deal. And it's the legacy of a big deal, which is women being treated as property. We should talk about all issues, big and small, that relate to that issue.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Buy Botswanan. Botswanese?

Convince your intended to not care about diamonds specifically, get better sourced, cheaper(or not cheaper!) alternate gemstones.

De Beers is a really bad organization, and that's on a scale that includes oil companies, agricultural concerns, Nestle, and Dow

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
I wouldn't likely be involved with anyone who insisted on a diamond. They seem really vulgar, like a mink coat.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Effectronica posted:

You punched back by going against everything you espouse. The main reason your English skills are better is because you speak this language nearly since you were born and think in it, while I started to learn it in early high school. I will probably never speak or write in English as well as you. It's pretty much a definition of privilege and you chose to flaunt it just to score points in a forums discussion. Then you basically told me I'm too sensitive and it's my fault you're angry.

This is pretty much the main difference between a social justice activist and an angry Tumblr kid. The former can actually see the logical consequences of their beliefs and adjust them before they get ridiculous. The latter doesn't even understand what they preach and tries to compensate it with confidence and righteous anger. If you're ever wondering which type you are, remember this thread - the place where you ranted against racist black smoke and attempted a sick burn by criticizing language skills of a foreigner.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Your English is wonderful, your ideas...

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Gantolandon posted:

You punched back by going against everything you espouse. The main reason your English skills are better is because you speak this language nearly since you were born and think in it, while I started to learn it in early high school. I will probably never speak or write in English as well as you. It's pretty much a definition of privilege and you chose to flaunt it just to score points in a forums discussion. Then you basically told me I'm too sensitive and it's my fault you're angry.

This is pretty much the main difference between a social justice activist and an angry Tumblr kid. The former can actually see the logical consequences of their beliefs and adjust them before they get ridiculous. The latter doesn't even understand what they preach and tries to compensate it with confidence and righteous anger. If you're ever wondering which type you are, remember this thread - the place where you ranted against racist black smoke and attempted a sick burn by criticizing language skills of a foreigner.

Interesting, so you espouse calling people racists to win arguments.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Interesting, so you espouse calling people racists to win arguments.

Calling someone out on their hypocrisy is not the same as espousing their views.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Gantolandon posted:

Calling someone out on their hypocrisy is not the same as espousing their views.

That is exactly what you did, earlier. Have you forgotten so early? Granted, you seem to have this imaginary person cooked up in your head that you've confused with me, so maybe you're not very well in the head.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Gantolandon posted:

Haha holy poo poo loving destroyed

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Obdicut posted:

What was the economic cause?

You're asking me what are the advantages of protectionism?

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
I mean really it's a bit like asserting that the reason they kept slaves in the South was because of their religious understanding of slavery and the economic effects were just a side-benefit.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

dogcrash truther posted:

You're asking me what are the advantages of protectionism?

No, I'm asking what the economic cause was that meant that black performers weren't allowed to play in those clubs. You're now saying that protectionism was the answer, and stating this as though it's a really obvious conclusion. It's an okay hypothesis, but what makes you consider it just case closed, and that it was the sole cause?

dogcrash truther posted:

I mean really it's a bit like asserting that the reason they kept slaves in the South was because of their religious understanding of slavery and the economic effects were just a side-benefit.

So you don't think racial prejudice was a major reason that black performers weren't allowed to play for white audiences, that it wasn't considered decent for white people to listen to black music but instead listened to white versions of black music? It was all just protectionism and the racial element was purely coincidental?

I can completely agree that protectionism was an economic motivator, but you'd really have to contort yourself to claim the reason why black performers couldn't play for white audiences and white audiences wouldn't buy black music was because of protectionism. What prevented white people from just going to the black clubs where the players performed, or, more simply, buying their music?

To use your analogy, it's a bit like asserting slavery didn't have anything to do with racism.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Gantolandon posted:

While this sentence might sound weird to a native English speaker it is perfectly grammatically correct. Effectronica is just a moron.

http://grammar.about.com/od/fh/g/frontingterm.htm

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

dogcrash truther posted:

Many slave owners had convinced themselves of this, or at least publicly represented it to be their position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

appropriation is bad. people are bad. well, that's my two cents, hope yall find the light. god bless

• Locked thread