Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Gnossiennes posted:

We'll see; if I can handle the mountains without freaking out too bad, I'll maybe try ToT, but the feeling of my stomach dropping is pretty awful to me. but, what makes that fear better??? DOING IT

We do have a dining plan (just Disney Dining plan 1x snack + quick service + table service per night). Even more excited for Sanaa now. Kicking out T-Rex.

THAT'S why I don't want to do it. That feeling is like, insta panic attack for me.

If the drop for you is too much and you still want a thrill, give Expedition Everest a go. It's intense but very smooth throughout and the drop isn't that bad. The theming is incredible and it's my favorite ride overall. Again, deathly afraid of heights, but the chain going up provides a crazy view. It may be worth doing that first and seeing if you become more open to trying ToT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

One of the best parts of Everest is riding with someone who doesn't know about either the Yeti or the backwards part. Always a treat.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Gnossiennes posted:

THAT'S why I don't want to do it. That feeling is like, insta panic attack for me.
Me too. And then my wife talked me into riding it anyway.

And then we rode it 11 more times that day.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Gnossiennes posted:

We do have a dining plan (just Disney Dining plan 1x snack + quick service + table service per night). Even more excited for Sanaa now. Kicking out T-Rex.

That's the way to go! F you want suggestions on the best snacks or quick service meals in the parks just let me know, I'll be happy to recommend! Also, what we always do is split our lunch at two different places so we can eat smaller meals throughout the day and try more, helps when you're walking a lot and riding a lot to not be stuffed full constantly.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Sanaa looks awesome, and it was on the short list for our trip later this year. Ultimately we decided to do Boma instead, since we'd never been.

My wife and I each chose one restaurant we'd eaten at before (mine was Ohana, hers was Restaurant Marrakesh), and we've resolved to eating all new places for everything else -- even counter-service.

Here's what we ended up with for dinner reservations:
- Boma
- Flying Fish Cafe
- Be Our Guest
- Ohana
- Restaurant Marrakesh

We're also doing a breakfast at Kona Cafe and a lunch at Beaches and Cream. Last time we went, we booked reservations for almost every meal, and it always felt like we were chasing the next restaurant. This time we're going to be more flexible for breakfast/lunch.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

WhiteHowler posted:

Sanaa looks awesome, and it was on the short list for our trip later this year. Ultimately we decided to do Boma instead, since we'd never been.

My wife and I each chose one restaurant we'd eaten at before (mine was Ohana, hers was Restaurant Marrakesh), and we've resolved to eating all new places for everything else -- even counter-service.

Here's what we ended up with for dinner reservations:
- Boma
- Flying Fish Cafe
- Be Our Guest
- Ohana
- Restaurant Marrakesh

We're also doing a breakfast at Kona Cafe and a lunch at Beaches and Cream. Last time we went, we booked reservations for almost every meal, and it always felt like we were chasing the next restaurant. This time we're going to be more flexible for breakfast/lunch.

That's a great list. Boma is really great. I always tell people with the deluxe dining plan to downgrade because nobody needs that much food and you literally spend your whole trip eating. The standard tier plan is perfect. Also most resorts have snack stands now when you check out to use up your remaining snack points (if any). It's super awesome.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
We decided not to do any dining plan this time.

The savings just isn't that great anymore (last time we went, the basic plan included an appetizer AND gratuity). I also felt obligated to eat more than I wanted -- at most places we normally wouldn't want to get two appetizers AND two desserts, but they were "free" at that point, so why not?

This time we're just going to eat whatever we want and try not to look at the menu prices when ordering.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

WhiteHowler posted:

We're also doing a breakfast at Kona Cafe...

The Kona French Press probably does serve two, like the menu says.

Mine didn't. :holy:

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Beaches & Cream is my favorite. Don't go there without getting ice cream. It's the best on property.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

WhiteHowler posted:

We decided not to do any dining plan this time.

The savings just isn't that great anymore (last time we went, the basic plan included an appetizer AND gratuity). I also felt obligated to eat more than I wanted -- at most places we normally wouldn't want to get two appetizers AND two desserts, but they were "free" at that point, so why not?

This time we're just going to eat whatever we want and try not to look at the menu prices when ordering.

Good call. Unless you get free dining, the dining plan definitely doesn't make sense because you're not going to eat like a psychopath (dessert with QS AND Table, jesus) and can go at your own pace. Lots of people get it for convenience, but it's literally throwing money away.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

MrYenko posted:

The Kona French Press probably does serve two, like the menu says.

Mine didn't. :holy:
That's fine. Coffee is gross.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

WhiteHowler posted:

That's fine. Coffee is gross.

:eek: I'll pray for you.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I'm on the west coast this week and plan on stopping by DisneyLand tomorrow after work. If anyone wants me to pick up anything shoot me a PM. I can ship it out of bring it down to WDW on my next visit.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Does DL have park specific magic bands maybe?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

demonR6 posted:

I'll poke around.

Jazz Kitchen in DTD offered me a free desert since I am a single diner. Anything except for their two specialties. Hard to turn down free desert, so I went with the pineapple upside down cake.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

demonR6 posted:

WDW is the only resort that currently uses magic bands. DL is still on paper tickets/fastpasses.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Dugong posted:

WDW is the only resort that currently uses magic bands. DL is still on paper tickets/fastpasses.

Confirmed, just got in the park with my employee ID, didn't need the main entrance pass, and got a paper ticket.

I have few hours to kill before my flight so I'm going hit ToT.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.
So, I'm able to pick our FastPass selections tomorrow for our trip in June. We have 6 days there, and I have no idea what to do regarding the FastPass selections. Any advice?
Jedi Academy? We get 3 per day? Or?
It's 4 adults, and 2 kids (6 and 4)

Our basic outline looks like this:

Uziel fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 5, 2015

k3nn
Jan 20, 2007
Phoneposting so can't go into much detail, but the easywdw cheat sheets at http://www.easywdw.com/category/cheat-sheets/ are your friend - they give priorities for fastpasses as well as sample touring plans etc. If you have the time to read through them and devise a plan of attack it should really help you avoid the nastiest lines, if not then at least aim to fastpass the highest priority attractions. Ideally save your fastpasses til after about 10.30/11am as lines are bearable for most attractions before then.

e: you get three per day, all have to be in the same park so you can't spread them across multiple parks each day. Jedi academy can't be fast passed; if you want to do it you should be at HS early - ideally like 8.20 or something for a 9am opening - and go straight to the sign up location when you get into the park.

k3nn fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 5, 2015

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

You can only select 3 per day, and when the final one expires, you can pick more using kiosks in the park. This doesn't have to be in the same park. So for example, if you use up your 3 at MK and have park hopper, you can then go to an Epcot kiosk and get another fastpass etc. My Disney Experience will let you choose three and then give you three different options based on what you would like to do. The site won't take your reservations into consideration so just jot those times down for when you book your FP+. Even if you miss your Fastpass or Disney gives you one you won't use, you're not obligated to do it.

One other important thing to remember is the attraction tiers. You may choose 1 from "Group A" and then 2 from "Group B." Group A attractions are ones with consistently high wait times. The exception to this is Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom which doesn't tier anything. One more thing to keep in mind is that Pirates of the Caribbean is closed from 5/11-9/25. Everything below is of course dependent on what you think your family will want to do. I've included pretty much all of the thrill rides, which even the most intense are still pretty tame compared to a lot of parks. Don't know if you've ever gone before, so apologies if it sounds like a first-timer thing.

My recommendations:

6/5: MK
Space Mountain
Seven Dwarfs Mine
Peter Pan's Flight
Your Ohana reservation is a perfect time because you'll see Wishes while you eat. They even play it through the speakers of the restaurant.

6/6: MK (If you don't end up going on the first day, use the above as those three seem to have the highest) Otherwise:
Splash Mountain
Big Thunder Mountain
Anna and Elsa if your kids are into the character stuff.
Alternative: Use it for the Electrical Parade, which is sort of a roped off area. Wishes you can see from anywhere in the park more or less. Obviously, go for Main Street.

6/7: AK
Kilamanjaro Safaris
Expedition Everest
Dinosaur
Alternative: (Swap one of these for Festival of the Lion King or Finding Nemo The Musical)

6/8: Epcot
Group A: Soarin' or Test Track. Unfortunately, both have about equal waits in the Summer.
Group B: Mission Space and Turtle Talk/Character Spot
Walk around the countries after dinner and camp out for Illuminations at about 8pm. My favorite place to watch it is in the Outpost between China and Germany, or Canada.

6/9: Hollywood
Group A: Rock'N Rollercoaster or Toy Story Mania. TSM always has the longer wait, but not by much. Don't use this on Fantasmic but rather get there early. Also get to the gate across from Rock N Rollercoaster about 8ish. They start seating at 830. There's also a later show at 1030. The Fastpass seating for it kinda sucks.
Group B: Tower of Terror & Star Tours

6/10: Hit whatever park you think you will want to visit more than once. My guess is it will probably be Magic Kingdom.

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 6, 2015

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

The other thing to remember about booking your FASTPASS+ is that you can modify your experiences and times after you initially book them. So if it gives you times that seem really spread apart, you can always tinker around with them to make your itinerary a little smoother.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Thanks for the food recommendations earlier; I think we have a pretty set dinner schedule now!

5/11: Raglan Road (we're driving from Alabama that day, so we can go to DD that night and chill)
5/12: Restaurant Marrakesh
5/13: Biergarten
5/14: Sanaa
5/15: Chefs de France
5/16: The ~wave~

Going to switch around the Sanaa & Chefs de France reservation, so that we're not in AK during a super busy day.

Our kinda prelim calendar is like this:
5/11: Drive, downtown disney for dinner and maybe a movie or something to chill out.
5/12: Magic Kingdom
5/13: Epcot
5/14: Hollywood Studios (this was originally AK, but easywdw's crowd calendar says it'll be pretty crowded)
5/15: Animal Kingdom
5/16: Whatever we feel like doing again.
5/17: Drive home

Stoked stoked stoked. So glad I'll have a week after graduation to ignore the growing anxiety about not having a job yet.

What quick service places do you like best?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Gnossiennes posted:

What quick service places do you like best?

Great table service list!

Quick Service:

Magic Kingdom:
Pecos Bill. It's a "build your own burger" joint, but I've always found it to be significantly better than the rest because it has the best topping bar.
Be Our Guest loving rules for the atmosphere. Food is decent. Don't be intimidated by the no reservations. I've seen dudes holding clipboards asking people if they want to eat there for dinner or taking lunch reservations.
Sleepy Hollow is more of a dessert-place but has some rad chicken-waffle sandwiches.
People like to poo poo on Cosmic Rays, but you can get a wide variety of items there.

Epcot:
Sunshine Seasons in The Land is one of the best food courts on property easily.
Yorkshire County Fish Shop in England
Tangierine Cafe in Morocco
L'Artisan des Glaces in France makes some crazy good ice cream
Electric Umbrella in Future World can be hit or miss, but it's your standard QS fare.

Hollywood Studios:
Studio Catering Company (Just got a new menu like two weeks ago) American fare.
ABC Commissary is similar to Electric Umbrella, but changes it up a bit. Good desserts too. I think you're going around the time Frozen stuff will be back. Get the Olaf cupcake if you go here.
Sunset Ranch Market is a great place to get your turkey leg fix.
Stay the gently caress away from Pizza Planet.

Animal Kingdom:
Flame Tree BBQ. It re-opens in early April and is my favorite QS in the parks. Do not miss it.
Yak & Yeti QS is pretty delicious as well.

Resorts:
Art of Animation has probably the best food court around.
Contempo Cafe at Contemporary Resort

Downtown Disney:
Earl of Sandwich
Wolfgang Puck Express

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 6, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tim Whatley posted:

Great table service list!

Quick Service:

Magic Kingdom:
Pecos Bill.
Be Our Guest - Either soup & Carved Prime Chuck Roast Beef Sandwich*

Epcot:
Yorkshire County Fish Shop in England - awesome fish n' chips
Tangierine Cafe in Morocco - shawarma platters are amazing

Hollywood Studios:
ABC Commissary - Angus Cheeseburger with Siracha Aïoli and Fried Shrimp

Animal Kingdom:
Flame Tree BBQ. - 1/2 Slab of St. Louis Ribs

Downtown Disney:
Earl of Sandwich - the holiday sandwich

These are my picks. Any of the cupcakes in the parks rule, and my wife makes all of the desserts at Animal Kingdom :). I also just found out she makes the gluten free breads for Victoria & Alberts!

Oh, and at 50's Prime Time, get the pb&j milkshake as your drink, the trio sampler entree, and smores dessert, they're all awesome.

and Pizza Planet rules, damnit :colbert:

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 6, 2015

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Pizza Planet is the same Pizza you can get at Pizzafari or any of the resorts quick service pizza options BUT on the upside, it does come with a side salad, which makes it one of the better quick services deals, money wise.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

And a delicious cupcake, if you're using the meal plan. You'll be plenty full leaving there, plus it's just fun to eat there and listen to Randy Newman.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I only go for Pizza Planet for the meatball sub, and meet the rest of the family at Studio Catering if they are eating there. Pizza Planet is probably the loudest of the eateries in the world I've been to.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Quixotic1 posted:

I only go for Pizza Planet for the meatball sub, and meet the rest of the family at Studio Catering if they are eating there. Pizza Planet is probably the loudest of the eateries in the world I've been to.

That's why I don't like it. Otherwise it's not bad.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Hot drat this is my last week of work before leaving for wdw. It's feeling good.

I have two cs lunches open on my schedule, one in magic kingdom and one in animal kingdom. Flame tree is still closed but the ribs are available elsewhere, is that the place to go? For mk, I'm probably not getting a burger and other time during the trip so it's a good time to do so. Is Pecos bills really the best?

Also, apparently if you cancel one of your three fp, you can't add a third back in. I did that instead of changing the attraction and now it's all hosed up. drat it,Disney.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Tim Whatley posted:

Animal Kingdom:
Flame Tree BBQ. It re-opens in early April and is my favorite QS in the parks. Do not miss it.

Flame Tree is a solid choice.

geese
May 29, 2007

This goose is cooked.

Richard M Nixon posted:

Hot drat this is my last week of work before leaving for wdw. It's feeling good.

I have two cs lunches open on my schedule, one in magic kingdom and one in animal kingdom. Flame tree is still closed but the ribs are available elsewhere, is that the place to go? For mk, I'm probably not getting a burger and other time during the trip so it's a good time to do so. Is Pecos bills really the best?

Also, apparently if you cancel one of your three fp, you can't add a third back in. I did that instead of changing the attraction and now it's all hosed up. drat it,Disney.

When I was there in early January, Flame Tree had a temporary kiosk near the normal location that had the full menu.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Flame Tree is so so so so good, very good choice.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Skeezy posted:

Flame Tree is so so so so good, very good choice.

The smell of that BBQ is just unreal. I can smell it all the way from up here in NH. :yarr:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Thank you guys for all the recommendations!! This is seriously the most helpful and nice thread I've ever seen.

Flame tree is definitely where we'll try to go on the AK day! Ribs :allears:

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I wonder if the wildlife will be gone from Flame Tree, at least temporarily, due to it being closed for so long.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Gnossiennes posted:

Thank you guys for all the recommendations!! This is seriously the most helpful and nice thread I've ever seen.

Flame tree is definitely where we'll try to go on the AK day! Ribs :allears:

I hope you have the most wonderful of trips. Disney is one of the few places where your latest trip can consistently top the most previous. This September will be #12 for me!

Quixotic1 posted:

I wonder if the wildlife will be gone from Flame Tree, at least temporarily, due to it being closed for so long.

Where there's food, there's ducks!

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.

k3nn posted:

Phoneposting so can't go into much detail, but the easywdw cheat sheets at http://www.easywdw.com/category/cheat-sheets/ are your friend - they give priorities for fastpasses as well as sample touring plans etc. If you have the time to read through them and devise a plan of attack it should really help you avoid the nastiest lines, if not then at least aim to fastpass the highest priority attractions. Ideally save your fastpasses til after about 10.30/11am as lines are bearable for most attractions before then.

e: you get three per day, all have to be in the same park so you can't spread them across multiple parks each day. Jedi academy can't be fast passed; if you want to do it you should be at HS early - ideally like 8.20 or something for a 9am opening - and go straight to the sign up location when you get into the park.
Thanks, this is helpful info and I'll try to dig through those cheat sheets!

Tim Whatley posted:

You can only select 3 per day, and when the final one expires, you can pick more using kiosks in the park. This doesn't have to be in the same park. So for example, if you use up your 3 at MK and have park hopper, you can then go to an Epcot kiosk and get another fastpass etc. My Disney Experience will let you choose three and then give you three different options based on what you would like to do. The site won't take your reservations into consideration so just jot those times down for when you book your FP+. Even if you miss your Fastpass or Disney gives you one you won't use, you're not obligated to do it.

One other important thing to remember is the attraction tiers. You may choose 1 from "Group A" and then 2 from "Group B." Group A attractions are ones with consistently high wait times. The exception to this is Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom which doesn't tier anything. One more thing to keep in mind is that Pirates of the Caribbean is closed from 5/11-9/25. Everything below is of course dependent on what you think your family will want to do. I've included pretty much all of the thrill rides, which even the most intense are still pretty tame compared to a lot of parks. Don't know if you've ever gone before, so apologies if it sounds like a first-timer thing.

My recommendations:
Thanks for these recommendations! Appreciate it!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Pizza Planet is the same Pizza you can get at Pizzafari or any of the resorts quick service pizza options BUT on the upside, it does come with a side salad, which makes it one of the better quick services deals, money wise.

Pizzafari has some of the worst pizza I've ever had and I like those stupid $1 Totino's deals. It's so terrible it made me angry. I won't even go to Pizza Planet (well, to eat anyway) because I hated the pizza so much.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I like pizza planet and pizzafari. I mean it's not great pizza no but it's not bad for theme park pizza. I'll take it over the flatbreads - when we eat at Pinocchios village haus on tour I don't even bother ordering one any more, I go for the pesto bites.

I'll be glad to see flame tree back though. I think it, Sunshine Seasons in the land and Landscape of Flavors at the Art of animation are the best QS restaurants on property (having never successfully eaten at be our guest for lunch, mind you)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Landscape of Flavors is my favorite, hands down. I have eaten BOG lunch and it was good. But Landscape just has so much to offer and all of it is very good.