Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Sheesh, you guys have missed Piccolo's most vital lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Xibanya posted:

Sheesh, you guys have missed Piccolo's most vital lines.

ALL OF THEM?!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

hey guys

DODGE

get it

like dbz abridged

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Your attempt at biting humour might work better if any of the preceding lines actually came from DBZA.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

i think youll find in fact they were all spoken in it

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fucknag posted:

No. One of them was spoken in Dragonball Kai Abridged :colbert:. Learn the lore.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
This is incredible.

Edit: I really hate explaining the joke but that's a scene from the original show ad verbatim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VuMsbbL9z4

mycot fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Apr 2, 2015

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
Sounds pretty lame, but it'll probably be great fun to watch. Much like the film that came before it.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Fucknag posted:

ALL OF THEM?

:lol: LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL :lol:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

mycot posted:

This is incredible.

Edit: I really hate explaining the joke but that's a scene from the original show ad verbatim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VuMsbbL9z4

thanks i never watched every dbz episode as it aired live when i was a kid including saiyan saga twice

e: and thus did not understand the refrance because you see

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Honestly one of the weirder scenes from the original show was recently posted in another thread, wherein Freeza asks for a countdown before he transforms and Vegeta just sorta runs from 10 to 0 in like 2 seconds. I honestly went "Huh, I don't remember this from Abridged".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsUJ_k3-1QE

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The most bizarre sequence was one where Frieza went off on a tangent that if Ginyu where a cat he would reward him with a saucer of milk.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

HGH posted:

Honestly one of the weirder scenes from the original show was recently posted in another thread, wherein Freeza asks for a countdown before he transforms and Vegeta just sorta runs from 10 to 0 in like 2 seconds. I honestly went "Huh, I don't remember this from Abridged".

There were always weird additions like that in American Dubs. Little jokes, basically. Some of it was to add some humor to a scene, some of it was because American cartoons in the 90s hated things to be too silent.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

The weirdest thing to me as a kid was Goku getting knocked out after drinking a bottle of juice before he fights Recoome.

Also Piccolo saying "it's in my other pants pocket" before the "balls are inert" line. The dude magics up clothes out of nowhere but he makes it sound like he's got a wardrobe somewhere.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Covok posted:

There were always weird additions like that in American Dubs. Little jokes, basically. Some of it was to add some humor to a scene, some of it was because American cartoons in the 90s hated things to be too silent.

Realtalk, watching the english dub these days is jarring due to the absolute lack of silence ever. Any pauses have the drat Faulconer music cranked up just as high as the loudest parts of the fight scenes.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think the oddest edition is specifying that it was a truck full of paperclips.

Edit: Was Goten and Trunks complaining about Piccolo's BO while flying behind him in the original?

mycot fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 2, 2015

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Smug DBZ fans are easily the funniest thing in the animeverse. Never creepy, always misguided, always entertaining.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Shinjobi posted:

Smug DBZ fans are easily the funniest thing in the animeverse. Never creepy, always misguided, always entertaining.

It's why it's so fun to make japanese grandma jokes to sub fans.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Xibanya posted:

Yeah, I read it too. the whole thing sounds really :geno:

I'm actually really down with it. They're definitely gearing up for a major third movie, so this one serves as like a growing experience for Goku and Vegeta. Plus watching Frieza get punked for his own arrogance again is just hilarious.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Poor frieza, he gets completely owned three times now (more times if you count GT)

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

What makes the tone of the movie sound great is stuff like:

Vegeta fighting Goku in the middle of his fight with Freeza because he's hogging the fight.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

quote:

Elsewhere, Piccolo is babysitting an infant Pan in front of Mr. Satan’s mansion, rocking her cradle with his foot. Videl and Gohan apologize for being late as Piccolo acts embarrassed.

:allears:

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

mmkay posted:

I don't recall if we ever see Chiaotzu winning a single battle in the manga. In the 22nd Tenkaichi, he advanced to the 2nd round I guess but we never see his preliminaries, then he looses against Krillin; in the 23rd Tenkaichi he looses in the qualifiers, he dies against Nappa and that's about it I think.

Not only does Chiaotzu lose all the fights we ever see, we don't see him fight again after Nappa. But apparently he's still training with Tien the whole time, it's just that Tien doesn't bring him along for the actual fights anymore. I wonder how strong he ended up. Maybe he got past Nappa-level, but I kind of doubt that he ever got as strong as Saiyan saga Vegeta.

This is admittedly the most useless form of speculation possible.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

HGH posted:

They gave Frieza lots of bad lines in that, looking back as an adult. "Yee-haw, ride 'em cowboy!"

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
can we please keep spoilering Revival of F stuff since there are people in the thread who don't want to be spoiled before they watch it? Like just as a courtesy, even the tiny stuff.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Yamcha lost to a nerd. What little respect I had for him has turned to pity.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Said nerd was also God. At least he punked him with the Spirit Ball.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kanzenshuu's write up totally makes the new movie sound enjoyable as hell.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Aurain posted:

Kanzenshuu's write up totally makes the new movie sound enjoyable as hell.

Yeah. It sounds like a fun movie. You nerds hate fun.

Battle of the Gods owned.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Stallion Cabana posted:

can we please keep spoilering Revival of F stuff since there are people in the thread who don't want to be spoiled before they watch it? Like just as a courtesy, even the tiny stuff.

frieza says ok i agree with stallion cabana in revival of f

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

If the movie's good I wouldn't mind Toriyama writing the story for a new dbz movie every couple years.

I'm sure he appreciates it over having to work the hellish schedule of a manga artist :v:.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Monaghan posted:

If the movie's good I wouldn't mind Toriyama writing the story for a new dbz movie every couple years.

I'm sure he appreciates it over having to work the hellish schedule of a manga artist :v:.

There's gonna be at least one or two more. There's clearly an overarching plot to them so far.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I dunno. Maybe it won't be so overt in the actual movie, but I'm kind of bummed that Freeza doesn't ultimately amount to a real threat to Goku or Vegeta. Part of what made the Beerus fight fun was Goku having to punch over his weight against a clearly superior foe. Here, they really can't at least let Goku get taken down by a Freeza sucker punch? They have to have loving minion #90 do it? Really?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Spiritus Nox posted:

I dunno. Maybe it won't be so overt in the actual movie, but I'm kind of bummed that Freeza doesn't ultimately amount to a real threat to Goku or Vegeta. Part of what made the Beerus fight fun was Goku having to punch over his weight against a clearly superior foe. Here, they really can't at least let Goku get taken down by a Freeza sucker punch? They have to have loving minion #90 do it? Really?

Honestly, I thought the synopsis sounded a lot more like your typical DBZ movie.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I thought that it's kinda fun that the big bad of this movie wasn't an unstoppable force in any way at all after all. And that a non-super saiyan Goku can now clown Freeza 4th form

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah. It sounds like a fun movie. You nerds hate fun.

Battle of the Gods owned.

I hate fun.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i just wantt o see sick animation and epic fights. for what its worth i thought everyone fighting beerus was great and had some awesome moves, and i think beerus tried to act like it was easier than it was, but he def had the upper hand after goku fell out of god mode.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I haven't seen any of the DBZ movies, which ones should I absolutely see for sweet fights and OP one-off villains?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Deakul posted:

I haven't seen any of the DBZ movies, which ones should I absolutely see for sweet fights and OP one-off villains?

World's Strongest, Dead Zone, and Fusion Reborn

And Battle of Gods, but that goes without saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Battle of Gods is the only DBZ movie I think is actually legit good, but if you're bored some of the other movies could be fun I guess. A lot of people liked the first Broly movie for the fightstyle alone

• Locked thread