Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The Taint Reaper posted:

Theathrythem was square enix and you have to spend well over 50 bucks after buying the game to get everything.

and New Super Mario bros. 2 was not a good game and the DLC did not help improve this.

Theathrhythm is a game on a Nintendo system which I bought DLC for, and $0.99 per song is a perfectly reasonable price for a music rhythm game.

NSMB2 is gonna come down to taste, I enjoyed it, I liked having a NSMB title on my 3DS and I like the DLC for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
jivjov no, your taint

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You're arguing with a dude who has forums cancer.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Oxxidation posted:

jivjov no, your taint

Oh goddammit, I looked not at who I quoted.

RyokoTK posted:

You're arguing with a dude who has forums cancer.

At the moment its still just a polite difference of opinion....

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

jivjov posted:

What's wrong with... amiibo?

The retail experience.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Louisgod posted:

No, exactly the same.

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's a straight port because Wii games already run on the Wii-U. No differences in performance.

Supercar Gautier posted:

No difference, aside from being handier to access the game directly from the main menu. It's literally a dump of the ISO, and activates the console's Wii mode to run.

Thanks. The only reason I thought to ask was because I read about the DK64 improvements. How did they do that by the way? Wouldn't they have to completely recompile the game from scratch?

Now Nintendo just needs to release StarFox for the SNES at 60 FPS (anyone who played the StarFox stage in Wario Ware for the Wii knows what I am talking about. It was oddly beautiful).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fix posted:

The retail experience.

Fair enough

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

ChaosArgate posted:

It's 75 cents for a Smash costume. Compare to, say, Squeenix or Namco who will charge at least 4 bucks for a costume and I think you'll find Nintendo's costumes are reasonably priced. The DLC characters are also pretty nicely priced, if Mewtwo is anything to go off of.

Yeah it made taking the plunge on the Fire Emblem DLC, especially the second season a bit easier when I could compare to what Namco was charging for their DLC around the same time.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

jivjov posted:

Theathrhythm is a game on a Nintendo system which I bought DLC for, and $0.99 per song is a perfectly reasonable price for a music rhythm game.

NSMB2 is gonna come down to taste, I enjoyed it, I liked having a NSMB title on my 3DS and I like the DLC for it.

I dunno 99 cents a song when you have well over 40 songs adds up to way too much for a portable game if you want to play all the levels. Like this is ontop of the original cost of the game, it would be another thing if the base game itself was free.

Like you can buy The Last of Us Remaster with everything included and Saints Row GOTY Gat out of Hell edition for the price of that and still have cash leftover and both of those games were running around 20-30 dollars.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The Taint Reaper posted:

I dunno 99 cents a song when you have well over 40 songs adds up to way too much for a portable game if you want to play all the levels.

Like you can buy The Last of Us Remaster with everything included and Saints Row GOTY Gat out of Hell edition for the price of that and still have cash leftover and both of those games were running around 20-30 dollars.

No one is forcing players to buy everything...and in what kind of economy does "There's too many of them, guess we have to make them cheaper" make sense?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I hope your cancer is terminal.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

I dunno 99 cents a song when you have well over 40 songs adds up to way too much for a portable game if you want to play all the levels.
Someone's never played Rock Band before

probably too busy reaping

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think they sell Rocksmith songs for like $3 each, I dunno what the Rock Band/Guitar Hero prices were

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

I said come in! posted:

I don't see anything wrong with Amiibo's, but it's annoying to push DLC so heavily on games that aren't even out yet. I can understand it for Mario Kart 8 and Smash Brothers obviously. Nintendo isn't the only one to do this, or the most guilty. That reward goes to EA Games who has made it a thing to talk about DLC before even showing off in-game screenshots or footage of their newly announced games. I haven't even bought their game yet, I haven't even thrown down $50 - $60 for the pre-order, and they already want to try to convince me to throw down even more? I got a dozen other games I want to buy, get off my loving balls game devs.

I don't mind the Amiibos that are essentially DLC across several games with a single purchase. Purchase link, and you get a costume in MK8, a trainable fighter in Smash, the spinner in Hyrule Warriors, some random prizes in Mario Party 10, play a quick demo with Amiibo Tap Greatest Hits... that's fine by me.

I don't dig the stuff like Mario Party 10 requiring a specific Amiibo to play the traditional boards, or the challenge mode with Splatoon Amiibo.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Thanks. The only reason I thought to ask was because I read about the DK64 improvements. How did they do that by the way? Wouldn't they have to completely recompile the game from scratch?

Now Nintendo just needs to release StarFox for the SNES at 60 FPS (anyone who played the StarFox stage in Wario Ware for the Wii knows what I am talking about. It was oddly beautiful).

Different systems call for different emulation solutions. Wii games are easy because Wii hardware is deliberately a subset of Wii U hardware, so it's just a matter of putting the system into the Wii mode they've already built. But it also means there will rarely, if ever, be any changes to the games.

The N64, on the other hand, was a messy beast, so they seem to be going with high-level emulation, wherein the Wii U recreates that system's behaviour but not necessarily its internal structure. That means less direct fidelity to the original N64 experience, but it also means they can do things like bump up the resolution and framerate. This process doesn't involve recompiling the games at all.

Games on older platforms like the SNES generally have a locked framerate that many elements are dependent on, though, so that kind of boost most certainly wouldn't be in the cards for Starfox.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Help Im Alive posted:

I think they sell Rocksmith songs for like $3 each, I dunno what the Rock Band/Guitar Hero prices were

For Rock Band most songs were $2 at release with it being cheaper to buy tracks in packs or albums. Rock Band Network songs could be $1, $2, or $3. They eventually made a price reduction on a ton of older songs prior to RB3's release to $1. To add pro guitar tracks to an existing song that supported it would be an additional $1.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Quest For Glory II posted:

Someone's never played Rock Band before

probably too busy reaping

Yeah I did not play rockband, I've seen too many broken plastic instruments. That and how quickly games like Guitar hero were driven into the ground.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
So do you guys willingly get taint reaped or do you honestly just not notice?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

noirstronaut posted:

So do you guys willingly get taint reaped or do you honestly just not notice?

The first time I replied I honestly didn't notice. Now, I'm just killing time til I can go to GameStop and preorder more amiibo.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

From twitter:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

jivjov posted:

The first time I replied I honestly didn't notice. Now, I'm just killing time til I can go to GameStop and preorder more amiibo.

Have the Thursday off from work? Must be nice.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

jivjov posted:

I need that loving Wario Amiibo more then I need air to breathe.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Mine's great, let me tell you about how awesome working weekends is

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Louisgod posted:

Restaurant industry has some perks, that's not necessarily one of them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Louisgod posted:

Traded today for Saturday last week, it paid off big time with this whole amiibo thing.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Supercar Gautier posted:

Different systems call for different emulation solutions. Wii games are easy because Wii hardware is deliberately a subset of Wii U hardware, so it's just a matter of putting the system into the Wii mode they've already built. But it also means there will rarely, if ever, be any changes to the games.

The N64, on the other hand, was a messy beast, so they seem to be going with high-level emulation, wherein the Wii U recreates that system's behaviour but not necessarily its internal structure. That means less direct fidelity to the original N64 experience, but it also means they can do things like bump up the resolution and framerate. This process doesn't involve recompiling the games at all.

Games on older platforms like the SNES generally have a locked framerate that many elements are dependent on, though, so that kind of boost most certainly wouldn't be in the cards for Starfox.

That's really interesting. I knew all about the fact that emulators could bump the resolution of 3-d games, I just for some reason thought framerate was something that could never be adjusted.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Dang, I was fishing for some "I'm unemployed" responses, loving taint reaped myself. :|

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
We should combine the Vita and the Wii-U thread I'm having a hard time telling the releases apart.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Has anyone been able to get a club nintendo reward? I just finished Majora's Mask and need a new game, but it's keeps messing up at the point that it should give me a code.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fremry posted:

Has anyone been able to get a club nintendo reward? I just finished Majora's Mask and need a new game, but it's keeps messing up at the point that it should give me a code.

Come back really late at night. Between 11pm - 1am pacific time.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The guy I bought Tropical Freeze from was able to redeem Tropical Freeze.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Oh, they announced a Ganon amiibo?

*looks*

Oh, it's stupid loving Ganondorf. Lame.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

I dunno 99 cents a song when you have well over 40 songs adds up to way too much for a portable game if you want to play all the levels. Like this is ontop of the original cost of the game, it would be another thing if the base game itself was free.

stop posting

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Ganon is in a handful of Zelda games for like 5 minutes each, Ganondorf is a playable character in Smash Bros

A giant pig monster amiibo would be cool but I dunno why you'd expect it to ever happen

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Fremry posted:

I did a few hours ago. Just keep trying, the servers are not likely to get any better in the next few days. If you can wait, then try again next week.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

And I went with Midna instead, like an idiot.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

keep posting

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

just got through the club nintendo gauntlet and got a tropical freeze code. now to figure out how to spend my 1200 coins. right now i am thinking doc louis punch out, yoshis island gba, super mario world, dillons rolling western last ranger and something else for 250 or less. already have the zeldas i want, earthbound, super metroid, mario golf... not sure what the last thing should be

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Ganon is in a handful of Zelda games for like 5 minutes each, Ganondorf is a playable character in Smash Bros

A giant pig monster amiibo would be cool but I dunno why you'd expect it to ever happen

Because Ganondorf is a retard and Ganon is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TheJoker138 posted:

Oh, they announced a Ganon amiibo?

*looks*

Oh, it's stupid loving Ganondorf. Lame.

They might do a Ganon for a line of Zelda amiibo, but for the smash line, it's the 'Dorf

• Locked thread