Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
I'm taking my first trip to an ohv park. Is there a good list somewhere of what I should bring? Besides friends and duratracs because I have neither.

:siren: SWEET HUGE PIC, BRO :siren:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Oh neat, this thread is now the "post terrible formatted / hosted pictures thread".

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Safety Dance posted:

Oh neat, this thread is now the "post terrible formatted / hosted pictures thread".

The official get out and rape your tables thread (4000x4000 pictures inside)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

The official get out and rape your tables thread (4000x4000 pictures inside)

I'm dubbing it "4Runner Syndrome".

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

crutt posted:

I'm taking my first trip to an ohv park. Is there a good list somewhere of what I should bring? Besides friends and duratracs because I have neither.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Offroaders_Checklist.htm

Most of this poo poo is close enough. Recovery points, Recovery gear, and weather/survival gear.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

In Honolulu, I actually saw a Wrangler that someone had butchered into vaguely resembling a Hummer. :barf:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
We should cut offroaders some slack with picture posting. Because seriously, backyard mechanic types are usually really bad at computers.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Anyone here in BC?

It looks like I may be in Vancouver for another half a year or so... if so I think I may get my H1 fixed and bring it up to Canada for a bit and check out some of the local trails in around BC.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

jonathan posted:

Because seriously, backyard mechanic types are usually really bad at computers.

It's generally been my experience that the people you're talking about aren't goons.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 6, 2015

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Big K of Justice posted:

Anyone here in BC?

It looks like I may be in Vancouver for another half a year or so... if so I think I may get my H1 fixed and bring it up to Canada for a bit and check out some of the local trails in around BC.

poo poo. I visit every few weeks. The good forum is crawlinbc.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Here, have a massive* picture.

*Straight out of Google it was something like 18,000px wide. Looks like it did a decent-enough job of stitching together most of it, aside from the Jeep itself.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
This is a bit different than my Mustang. I guess I need to go find some dirt.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Cavepimp posted:

Is the new 4runner basically a bigger version of the FJ Cruiser?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Cavepimp posted:

I am so jealous right now.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006

Sandbagger SA posted:

Is the new 4runner basically a bigger version of the FJ Cruiser?

The FJ is shorter but I'm not sure I'd say it's that much smaller. To be honest, this is all still really new to me so I've still got a lot to learn, but I've got some buddies with FJs that are going to show me the ropes and can do a comparison.

I mainly just needed something I could fit all my camping and fishing gear in that could take some rougher terrain than a Mustang, and then went overboard from there.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Cavepimp posted:

That thing is sexy as hell. Please let us know how well it works (I want to upgrade the wife to a 4-Runner for no reason other than I love them).

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006

Siochain posted:

That thing is sexy as hell. Please let us know how well it works (I want to upgrade the wife to a 4-Runner for no reason other than I love them).

I'm headed out to do some camping, fishing, and exploring tonight and will report back. So far all I know is that it's been pleasant on the road and handles speed bumps well, and everybody at the office needs rides all of a sudden.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I took my extremely mild TJ down some extremely mild trails today.

I still managed to bash it into a tree.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

I took my extremely mild TJ down some extremely mild trails today.

I still managed to bash it into a tree.

Congrats on the dent, some people pay a lot of money for lesser Trail Rated badges. How do you like the little mini-LED bar - have you used it much at night? Most of the LED bars I see fit firmly into brotruck status, but I've thought about installing some smaller units as backup lights because I had to reverse down a road once after dark and it sucked.

I tested the XJ's new cooling system mods and valve job out this weekend with a quick overnighter up a moderate road (CA/San Bernardino NF/Lytle Creek/Coldwater Canyon/last yellowpost campsite). It ran fantastically the whole time, and the temp gauge never got above 210 even after a couple of miles uphill in 4wd on the rocky old mine road. I topped it off before/after the freeway section to get there & got 20mpg too which was cool. The recently purchased swaybar disconnects and 31" Cooper S/T Maxxs made a huge difference from the last time I tried that road - only broke traction once when I crossed a creek with some wet rocks (open diffs).

Didn't stop to take any poser photos, but the campsite at the top was nice once we spent 20 minutes cleaning up the goddamn shotgun shells and beer cans left by the last 909 occupants. I found a cut-up CV boot, a pair of needlenose pliers covered in axle grease, many fragments of underbody trim, a few pieces of interior trim (??) and a set of Wrangler soft-top window screens laying by the road... I think some people had a hard time getting up there.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Congrats on the dent, some people pay a lot of money for lesser Trail Rated badges. How do you like the little mini-LED bar - have you used it much at night? Most of the LED bars I see fit firmly into brotruck status, but I've thought about installing some smaller units as backup lights because I had to reverse down a road once after dark and it sucked.

Ha. I like the mini-LED bar okay. I wish it had a narrower beam, but it puts out a decent amount of light for the money. I haven't had a lot of chances to drive around in the boonies at night in this truck, but the light worked really well when it was on the front of my motorcycle. I've been considering adding LED reverse lights too, not sure where I'd mount them.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

It's a month late and while I wanted to do more with it and get the color correction/audio/fades/other bullshit tuned etc, I finally got fed up with boring footage of Jeeps and just threw it up on youtube raw. It was also too long so I ran some of it at 300% speed but whatever.

:siren: Hot AI SoCal 4x4 Cleghorn Footage :siren:
Featuring the Sick Setups and Nuanced Narration of:

Astonishing Wang (yellow TJ)
Tuna (white JK)
Krakkles (blue XJ)
Boostcreep (gold WJ)
Kastevich (white TJ)
and the excellent hydrolocked Honey Badger (non-AI friend, black TJ)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrLqUIe9K3U

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That looks like fun.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO
So my friend's CR-V up and died at 200k miles. He's taken an interest in cars in the past year or so, so I've been trying to impart some of limited wisdom and experience in him, and he has a ton of enthusiasm for it but a lot to learn. We've been browsing craigslist looking for a new car, and one of the ones he was interested in was Suzuki Samurai. The caveat here is that while we effectively have a 10k budget, half the finances will be offered his father. In short, he's willing to match him dollar-for-dollar up to a total budget of $10k. Problem is, his dad stubbornly believes that a car is an appliance, so he will not help to buy anything that isn't reliable, low-mileage, and four-cylinder.

That brings us to this craigslist offering:

http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/5040100104.html

We've called and negotiated a price, but it's going to be tricky to pick up because while the vehicle is in Nassau county, Long Island, we're about 4 hours upstate from the city. The plan is to drive down on a weekday, take care of all the paperwork at the DMV and drive it back up. So I'm looking for some opinions. YES it takes 17 seconds to get from 0-60, YES it's probably kind of a handful at highway speed, but does this look like a good build? The guy who owns it has his own law firm and told us he put $5k into it and basically kept it garaged as a "just in case" vehicle for when they went upstate skiing. It sounds like the perfect Samurai, not a stock showroom model with an ambitious asking price, and not a totally thrashed hunting/trail rig. In the interest of maintaining its current condition, my friend also intends to pick up a beater Subaru for the winter. Are we going to discover that it's a nightmare to daily drive a Samurai or is this going to be the most fun summer ever?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The condition looks good, check how much is bondo and how much is metal with a magnet.

But... it sounds like he should get a subaru brat instead. 4cyl, about 25 to 28mpg, pickup, 4 wheel drive not all wheel drive. Reasonably reliable once the engine is cleaned up with new head gaskets and such.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yep, they rust like a motherfucker, but they do the job off-road. I found mine to generally be quite well-designed and easy to work on, too.

You have to want a 4x4 to do 4x4 things, though, they are a traditional leaf-sprung live-axle truck, just 3/4 scale, and on-road refinement is not their thing. I have daily driven one, and it isn't honestly that bad, as long as you understand what it is - coming from a CRV may be a bit of a culture shock.

It depends on why he's interested in it, and what sort of things he's looking to do. Something like an XJ may be a better compromise as a daily.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO
We were gonna pick it up Monday but it loving sold over the weekend. Same thing happened last time I saw a beautiful, perfect Samurai on CL. Another one gets away.

BCBUDDHA
Jul 19, 2014

crutt posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol i got put on probation when posting my 4runner, it seems to run in our blood.

speaking of which, building the truck has become quite the addiction.

this is the day I bought it.

So far I've had a custom bumper designed by a washing machine engineer on my 4runner forum and cut from cad files.
Snorkel, which I haven't technically used, but since i do lots of water crossings up to my headlights, it'll eventually become necessary.
and today I threw a lightbar on, which i'm very happy with, it will come in handy when I go hunting and want to access remote spots before sunrise.
Next mods will be 3inch suspension lift and 285/75/16 duratracs

Last is Jones lake B.C, just outside Vancouver. If you have a 4x4, you can park right on the beach, set up your bbq and enjoy. I honestly don't know how people can live in this Province without a 4x4 anymore.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

Gosh that looks awesome. Here's my Toyota. I've posted it before but since then I ditched the 265 duratracs for 305 MTRs, bought tube doors, and had the bumper powdercoated gloss white while it was being repaired.

Today I enjoyed a day at the beach with the Houston FJ club.

A week from now I'll be on the road to FJ summit in Ouray, CO. CAN'T WAIT!

BCBUDDHA
Jul 19, 2014

Geology posted:

Gosh that looks awesome. Here's my Toyota. I've posted it before but since then I ditched the 265 duratracs for 305 MTRs, bought tube doors, and had the bumper powdercoated gloss white while it was being repaired.

Today I enjoyed a day at the beach with the Houston FJ club.

A week from now I'll be on the road to FJ summit in Ouray, CO. CAN'T WAIT!

god i wish i bought a fj cruiser.

do they give you the gears over the tube doors?

i went past 3 rcmp checkpoints (canada's answer to local pd, all the way up to fbi/cia/l but federally regulated, so no retards and minimal highschool bully victim)

where i live, there are 2 kinds of 4x4 enthusiasts, nerds with jap 4x4s, and retarded kids making 90k a year drilling oil driving lifted f350s.
l luckily made it past, in spite of no front plates, no turn signals and a light bar uncovered

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

BCBUDDHA posted:

god i wish i bought a fj cruiser.

do they give you the gears over the tube doors?

i went past 3 rcmp checkpoints (canada's answer to local pd, all the way up to fbi/cia/l but federally regulated, so no retards and minimal highschool bully victim)

where i live, there are 2 kinds of 4x4 enthusiasts, nerds with jap 4x4s, and retarded kids making 90k a year drilling oil driving lifted f350s.
l luckily made it past, in spite of no front plates, no turn signals and a light bar uncovered

Yesterday was the first time I put the tube doors on. In Texas they're legal so long as they have side view mirrors, which mine didn't, but nobody bothered me about it. The doors accept standard jeep mirrors but I was missing some of the hardware to attach them.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Geology posted:

Yesterday was the first time I put the tube doors on. In Texas they're legal so long as they have side view mirrors, which mine didn't, but nobody bothered me about it. The doors accept standard jeep mirrors but I was missing some of the hardware to attach them.

Do FJ Cruisers not have sills along the doors? If they do, you should be ok to drive doorless, at least in Texas. You also apparently only need one rearview mirror, as long as your rear window is unobstructed: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/htm/TN.547.htm.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

EightBit posted:

Do FJ Cruisers not have sills along the doors? If they do, you should be ok to drive doorless, at least in Texas. You also apparently only need one rearview mirror, as long as your rear window is unobstructed: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/htm/TN.547.htm.

It's an FJ cruiser - the rear window comes obstructed from the factory. I wouldn't feel comfortable driving on-highway without both side mirrors anyway.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BCBUDDHA posted:

and retarded kids making 90k a year drilling oil driving lifted f350s.

We're not all retarded kids. And LoL I wouldn't get out of bed for 90k a year in an oilfield job.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Any other BC spots? I'll check out Lake Jones. I'm up in Vancouver working on a project for a bit, once I get that new engine dropped in my H1, I'll drive it up to Vancouver so I can do some wheeling on weekends at least. I hate the city.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Big K of Justice posted:

Any other BC spots? I'll check out Lake Jones. I'm up in Vancouver working on a project for a bit, once I get that new engine dropped in my H1, I'll drive it up to Vancouver so I can do some wheeling on weekends at least. I hate the city.

Sunrise lake on the west side of Harrison Lake
Eagle mtn north of coquitlam

Register an account on crawlinbc and introduce yourself.

Hutt lake out past squamish is great.

If you're up for a 2 day trip, see if you can gather some people up to do the Whipsaw trail.

I returned my Rubicon to stock as I have it up for sale. I'm out in Alberta right now or I'd show you around some.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Getting a backroad tour around the lower mainland would be awesome. I dont have any friends into that sort of thing though and no way I want to explore too much solo.

In other news took a quick trip up some dirt roads just north of Stave Falls in Maple Ridge.

Also played around with "Crawl Control" which maintains a set speed up or down hill off road, and it does so by firing the individual brakes on and off with the ABS system, which makes it sound like the truck is shaking itself apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrdar8u-bF0

D C fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 8, 2015

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

D C posted:

Also played around with "Crawl Control" which maintains a set speed up or down hill off road, and it does so by firing the individual brakes on and off with the ABS system, which makes it sound like the truck is shaking itself apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrdar8u-bF0

My jeep rattles worse than that :jeb:

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
I've done some stuff to my 3rd gen since my last post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Big K of Justice spotted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LhFIXiXu4Y