Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
There's a more in-depth trailer for Super Butoden. The 20 playable characters are: Goku, God Goku, Adult Gohan, Kid Gohan, Gotenks, Vegeta, Krillin, Kid Buu, Fat Buu, Bardock, Broly, Cell, Frieza, Piccolo, Beerus, Trunks, Android 18, Captain Ginyu, Raditz, and Nappa. So only a few slots devoted to alternate versions of characters at least. The assists seem to work on a system similar to the Shonen Jump fighting games where you have a "board" to fill and more important characters take up more space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The first Cooler movie is pretty cool.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Rodyle posted:

The first Cooler movie is pretty cool.

Nice pun.

I don't mind this movie, but It falls victim to the old dbz movie problem of "why doesn't goku just use _____ at the beginning of the fight"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Deakul posted:

I haven't seen any of the DBZ movies, which ones should I absolutely see for sweet fights and OP one-off villains?

Movies 1-5 are all legitimately good in my opinion, although I believe only Bio-Broly and maybe Wrath of The Dragon could be considered outright bad(it's notable that Hirudegarn and Tapion didn't debut in a game till Budokai Tenkaichi 3, and Bio-Broly's only game appearance has been in Heroes)

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Monaghan posted:

Nice pun.

I don't mind this movie, but It falls victim to the old dbz movie problem of "why doesn't goku just use _____ at the beginning of the fight"

He does? It's not like Freeza was a real threat it turns out once Goku teleports in

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Movies 1-5 are all legitimately good in my opinion, although I believe only Bio-Broly and maybe Wrath of The Dragon could be considered outright bad(it's notable that Hirudegarn and Tapion didn't debut in a game till Budokai Tenkaichi 3, and Bio-Broly's only game appearance has been in Heroes)

Hirudegarn and Tapion are definitely in BT2.

Is BB really bad? I sort of like the idea of a movie around a troop of second stringers like 18 and Hercule.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ChronoReverse posted:

He does? It's not like Freeza was a real threat it turns out once Goku teleports in

huh? I'm talking about the first cooler movie where goku doesn't turn super sayian until after he gets his rear end kicked by Coolers 5th form.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Monaghan posted:

huh? I'm talking about the first cooler movie where goku doesn't turn super sayian until after he gets his rear end kicked by Coolers 5th form.

Oh, sorry I thought we were talking about F.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Goku can't turn Super Saiyan until then because the cooler movie is one of the most blatant recycling of an arc into a movie that exists.

Even Lord Slug was less lazy.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I liked Bio-Brolly because Brolly was such an afterthought in that movie. Krillin helps kill him. Krillin.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Xibanya posted:

Yeah, I read it too. the whole thing sounds really :geno:

It's disturbingly reminiscent of the original 13 films where nothing of any significance actually happens.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

VanSandman posted:

I liked Bio-Brolly because Brolly was such an afterthought in that movie. Krillin helps kill him. Krillin.

I'm skimming through the 2nd broly movie right now. I...did not know that it featured a part where Broly decides to torture Kid Trunks by...uh...resting Trunks' back on top of his head and lightly pulling down on Trunk's arm and leg. Until Trunks pisses himself down Broly's face.

Dragonball movies are weird.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It doesn't help much that Broly sucks yet he get's three movies devoted to him.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Remember that Xenoverse teased us with an NPC mentioning a what-if timeline where King Piccolo absorbed Kami and went to war with his army of demons against the Red Ribbon Army and Dr. Gero's Androids for control of the world.

Then Babidi shows up.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

A lot of the movies were pretty blatant arc recycles, at least Broly was a somewhat original villain. Turles was another Saiyan invading Earth during the Saiyan saga, the Cooler movies were almost direct mirrors of Frieza's story, Lord Slug was King Piccolo, Android 13 was Cell, and Janemba was Buu.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm skimming through the 2nd broly movie right now. I...did not know that it featured a part where Broly decides to torture Kid Trunks by...uh...resting Trunks' back on top of his head and lightly pulling down on Trunk's arm and leg. Until Trunks pisses himself down Broly's face.

Dragonball movies are weird.

That movie is so bad, you'll think that being a self-contained movie it wouldn't have the pacing issues the show has but it's slow as gently caress. And this had to be the only one in which Videl marginally contributes in defeating a villain.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Petiso posted:

That movie is so bad, you'll think that being a self-contained movie it wouldn't have the pacing issues the show has but it's slow as gently caress. And this had to be the only one in which Videl marginally contributes in defeating a villain.

If that counts then so does Wrath of the Dragon.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Petiso posted:

Man Videl is so cool and she should have gotten strong like 18 instead of catching Girlfrienditis...like 18 (but moreso).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Man Videl is so cool and she should have gotten strong like 18 instead of catching Girlfrienditis...like 18 (but moreso).

Having a kid in anime is pretty much a death sentence for Anime females. At most you get one badass scene when you probably end up dying protecting your child.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

18 catching Girlfrienditis is so weird because like... seriously. In another timeline she murdered the world because she was bored. I can't imagine she doesn't at least want to kick the poo poo out of low-rank villains when the chance presents itself.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
In one of these movies Some villain or second in command or something really needs to blow up some random stretch of forest, only to have 17 show up and beat the ever living poo poo out of him.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It's really just a shame Toriyama is just so bad at/disinterested in writing romance and lady fighters in general. Veggie/Bulma, Krillen/18, Gohan/Videl could have been really interesting relationships between cool characters and instead they just wind up kind of being there and not even really explaining how they happened to begin with.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

mycot posted:

There's a more in-depth trailer for Super Butoden. The 20 playable characters are: Goku, God Goku, Adult Gohan, Kid Gohan, Gotenks, Vegeta, Krillin, Kid Buu, Fat Buu, Bardock, Broly, Cell, Frieza, Piccolo, Beerus, Trunks, Android 18, Captain Ginyu, Raditz, and Nappa. So only a few slots devoted to alternate versions of characters at least. The assists seem to work on a system similar to the Shonen Jump fighting games where you have a "board" to fill and more important characters take up more space.

This game needs to get the gently caress over here asap

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I miss those moments from the early DBZ movies where Chi-Chi would try to use her kung-fu skills on a bunch of mooks, even if it only ever lasted a minute

I mean, come on. Gohan gets kidnapped so often she must do something with her free time besides worrying

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Spiritus Nox posted:

It's really just a shame Toriyama is just so bad at/disinterested in writing romance and lady fighters in general. Veggie/Bulma, Krillen/18, Gohan/Videl could have been really interesting relationships between cool characters and instead they just wind up kind of being there and not even really explaining how they happened to begin with.

It's weird that Bulma and Vegeta seem to have the most natural chemistry when all of their relationship was essentially offscreen.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It's weird that Bulma and Vegeta seem to have the most natural chemistry when all of their relationship was essentially offscreen.

Vegeta and Bulma having boring married-people chat make up some of the only good minutes in all of GT.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I like high school Gohan and Videl because they're so comparatively normal next to the rest of the cast, it's like they're from a different show.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Though it is weird that Videl/Gohan mirrors Goku/Chi chi so much.

Like its almost the same dynamic.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It's like poetry, it rhy- *gets shot*

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dragonball Z fans don't like Dragonball Z

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 2, 2015

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

mycot posted:

I like high school Gohan and Videl because they're so comparatively normal next to the rest of the cast, it's like they're from a different show.

Gohan in highschool is unironically one of my favorite parts of the entire series. I have a huge soft spot for super beings interacting with everyday live and Gohan trying to blend in with people who are not super powered martial artists is amazing. Same with the tournament really. It's a shame it didn't conclude, the crowd's reaction to everything was gold.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I am saddened we never get to see Gohan slowly, over time, tell Videl the crazy poo poo he had seen.

I want to see him explain Frieza to her.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

I am saddened we never get to see Gohan slowly, over time, tell Videl the crazy poo poo he had seen.

I think this was my favorite part of Trunks Abridged

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

CharlestheHammer posted:

"And then my dad died (again) when he suicide-bombed God".

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I read the Revival of F synopsis and it sounds amazing, I don't know what you dweebs are talking about

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

mycot posted:

"And then my dad died (again) when he suicide-bombed God".

"Oh yeah, that time the entire world was under mind-control from evil miasma. That happened at the time, but then it didn't. Stop looking at me like that it all makes sense."

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Spiritus Nox posted:

The strangest part of it is, it feels like (admittedly i've not watched it all yet) that Bulma is the duo-protagonist alongside Goku in at least the first major arc of DB.

I really should get around to watching all of DB

To be fair, i loved every minute of her in BoG, so there's that.

Mraagvpeine posted:

It's like poetry, it rhy- *gets shot*

:mad:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

CharlestheHammer posted:

Come to think of it, wouldn't Captain Ginyu still be alive? He got teleported back to Earth with everyone else during the Freiza fight, and nobody's really given a crap about him since. Someday Gohan will have to excuse why he is being stalked by an alien frog with a grudge.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

ImpAtom posted:

18 catching Girlfrienditis is so weird because like... seriously. In another timeline she murdered the world because she was bored. I can't imagine she doesn't at least want to kick the poo poo out of low-rank villains when the chance presents itself.

She probably goes out looking for bank robberies and poo poo so she can demand money for stopping it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I want to know why they live with Roshi, as that seems like it would end with 18 destroying the island inside the first hour.

• Locked thread