Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Is this trolling?

Is this? Enemystand.jpg and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

All around the internet, everybody and their dog is comparing him to Hol Horse. Meanwhile I just want him to get a Dale Gribble skin.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Million Ghosts posted:

Is this? Enemystand.jpg and such.

If the crank has been presented to me, I shall accept that crank with modesty and graciousness.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

If the crank has been presented to me, I shall accept that crank with modesty and graciousness.

Behold my Stand, 「MASTER OF PUPPETS」 - you.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

No but seriously they both shoot glass bottles.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Look you retards it may or may not be a reference. HOly poo poo.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Everything is a Jojo reference.™

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Shooting bottles is a pretty common motif of the western gunman.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

No but seriously they both shoot glass bottles.

That isn't exactly an uncommon thing. Plenty of westerns had gunmen shooting bottles and other glass objects for target practice and stuff. If anything, the characters are based on the stereotypical cowboy of western films.

Now if they gave that mortal kombat cowboy the ability to curve his bullets, then i'd say "maybe"

I wanna know if Clint kept that picture of Jotaro that Araki gave him. Araki was so happy and was all "here you go mr. eastwood, I based jotaro on you and your acting in spaghetti westerns, here's a picture!" and I can only imagine clint's response being "what"

edit: that mortal kombat guy seems more like a roland type cowboy. hol horse is more of a tuco cowboy.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

His fatality is curving the bullet.

I ain't saying the dude is definitely a reference. If anything it's just a series of funny coincidences.

Sheesh.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think the animations are definitely a homage, there's not that many fighting games so the devs are probably familiar with the JoJo fighters and as such partially basing some of their stuff on other people's stuff.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Amazon UK are listing the hardcover Phantom Blood finale (Vol 3) to come out on the same day as volume 2.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jojos-Bizarre-Adventure-Part-1-Phanto/dp/1421578816/ref=pd_rhf_dp_s_cp_3_QEFD?ie=UTF8&refRID=1C40HC05K1TT3HE075P2

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Guys I just heard Mista's gonna be in the new mortal combat!

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I heard in an interview that Sheeva is a Hermes ref

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Ermac's actually a Stand User, that's why he refers to himself as "we" and invisibly slams the opponent around.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Mortal Kombat characters punch people.

Star Platinum punches people.

Jojo reference.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'm curious, are the JoJo's Colored Adventure people doing a fresh translation for Part 5? Or are they just using the old lovely translation?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

They're doing a new translation.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
God, the scene in Part 7 where Johnny learns the Golden Rectangle when fighting Sandman.

"Lesson #4...Pay your respects"
[ TUSK ACT 2 ]

Part 7 is so drat good

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I wonder what the final battle of Stardust Crusaders would've been like if DIO actually had ended up having the powers of all other previous Tarot Stand Users.

Can you just imagine Senator Wilson Phillips driving around a Transylvanian version of Wheel of Fortune? :allears:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There'd be no realistic way to beat him. He'd have just ended up melting them or turning them into kids or basically anything straight away.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Yeah, good point. Even Hanged Man's ability alone would be problematic.

On a different, yet related note:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Aurain posted:

There'd be no realistic way to beat him. He'd have just ended up melting them or turning them into kids or basically anything straight away.

It would have to be the same thing. Oh yeah, Jotaro just HAPPENS to have the same powers.

Also, my gf reads The World as a teleport as well, so the animated version just reads different than the manga (where I read it as I dunno wtf).

edit: Also, when I told her that people die, she was able to logically deduct who somehow, which I had to poker face and didn't work when she saw them on the other side of the water on the ending song after saying that. David is actually just really good at showing exactly what they need to.

Darko fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 31, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, I suppose you could use the same asspull, but basically, it's a very good thing Araki realised that The World being everything would be crazy overpowered.

HULK's World will always own.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The World having everyone's power is just an offshoot from an old fan theory where he had every Joestar's power (Joseph's psychic projections, Jotaro's time stop, etc.). I've never seen or read any evidence suggesting Araki was actually considering something like that, though I suppose you could still kinda-sorta make a case for the Joestar lineage exclusively.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Bad Seafood posted:

The World having everyone's power is just an offshoot from an old fan theory where he had every Joestar's power (Joseph's psychic projections, Jotaro's time stop, etc.). I've never seen or read any evidence suggesting Araki was actually considering something like that, though I suppose you could still kinda-sorta make a case for the Joestar lineage exclusively.

In one of the early episodes, where it shows DIO using Johnathan's HERMIT PURPLE, Pet Shop was there before I knew it was a stand user, and I immediately thought of Avdol's MAGICIAN'S RED

So don't underestimate people jumping off cliffs for conclusions.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Speculation's cool and welcome and it's great seeing new fans getting excited for the reveal, but there's a subtle difference between thinking "What if X is the power of The World?" and stating "Araki originally intended for it to be X but changed his mind."

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Zeruel posted:

In one of the early episodes, where it shows DIO using Johnathan's HERMIT PURPLE, Pet Shop was there before I knew it was a stand user, and I immediately thought of Avdol's MAGICIAN'S RED

So don't underestimate people jumping off cliffs for conclusions.

Putting Pet Shop in that episode was definitely one of the coolest things David has changed.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i like that the OP and ED spoil the whole egypt arc but only if you already know the spoilers. david's done good

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Fungah! posted:

i like that the OP and ED spoil the whole egypt arc but only if you already know the spoilers. david's done good

Was the eye at the end of ED1 meant to be handsome Iggy's eye? Reminds me of it on closer inspection.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Aurain posted:

Putting Pet Shop in that episode was definitely one of the coolest things David has changed.
Wasn't Vanilla Ice or Nukesaku in that shot too? Along side Enya?

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Aurain posted:

There's a dude on /a/ who works with JJCA and he said that the translator doing VA specifically said he will only work with that type-setter, so don't expect that to go away.

I don't know where you heard this, but as far as I know, I'm the only active translator doing Vento Aureo, and I never said that. Nobody else seemed able and willing to typeset Part 5, so I just contacted them saying I could write new translations for them if they didn't already have a translator (they didn't) and they took me up on the offer.

I mean, if anyone wants, I can relay to them that you think their typesetting looks like turds (I haven't really looked at them myself, though). And, although typesetting is a horrible fate that I wouldn't wish upon anyone, I can keep you updated with Vento Aureo scripts if you really want to do it yourself.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A dude on /a/ said it (there are a bunch of dudes in /a/'s JoJo who do actually do it for other JoJo things which is what gave it some credence), glad to hear it's not true though. Also, thank you for doing it because it's greatly appreciated. Mangahelpers is a good place to put your scripts if you want to make them public once done.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I was thinking of reading a new manga. I've heard this is good, can anyone give me a decent summary without much spoilers?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's a bunch of guys named Jojo.

They go on Bizarre Adventures.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

RC Cola posted:

I was thinking of reading a new manga. I've heard this is good, can anyone give me a decent summary without much spoilers?

Fabulous buff men pose at each other while eldritch poo poo happens hilariously.

I'd advise watching the anime, definitely for part one, and probably for parts 2 and 3 (up to where they're at) as well. The Stardust Crusaders anime is only a few months from completion, so you could watch the backlog at a leisurely pace and catch up right as they're starting the Big Bad fight of part 3. It's a pretty fantastic adaptation with oodles of style, and you can always go back and read the manga later to get the complete experience (although parts 2 and 3 have almost nothing of significance cut from the anime).

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

RC Cola posted:

Ancient Mayan technology intertwined with a blood feud originating in Victorian England, drawn with fashion magazines as a primary source of inspiration. Things get titularly Bizarre fast.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

RC Cola posted:

You know how Superman used to get all these weirdly over specific powers like Super Weaving? Imagine if someone's only power was Super Weaving, then when you fight them they use it to kick your rear end while posing.

That is Jojo.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

RC Cola posted:

So Jack Kirby, David Bowie, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Leonaro Da Vinci walk into a bar...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
JoJo is great at taking powers that sound mundane or non-threatening, and turns them into ridiculously threatening life or death situations. It’s really really creative in so many ways.

Some good examples of bizarre adventures:
-A power that gives someone a bunch of money, and if they don’t spend it all by midnight they turn into a tree.
-The power to put zippers on things.
-The power to perfectly control your own hair.
-Being really really good at feng shui.
-A power that will turn someone magnetic, only if they touch a specific power outlet.

poo poo, just look at how threatening offering someone a loving tissue can be:

• Locked thread