Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Valeyard posted:

If this whole thing leads to the residents of Starling City standing up one by one and saying "NO, I am The Arrow!" then it will all be worth it

Hey is Roy in Iron Heights? That's cool.

It's a bit weird though since we know Lance knows Roy is the guy in red, not the guy in green

He can't say that or else he implicates himself. And then his daughter as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I actually liked most of the present day stuff. Captain Lance is very clearly thorough in his pursuit of the Arrow and manages to completely corner it, plus he fully accepts that part of him did know that Oliver was the Arrow but he just didn't care when he was an ally. In fact, basically every Lance scene was wonderful.

That said, that ending was really stupid. Yeah sure Roy, give yourself in as the Arrow. It's not like Lance doesn't already know you are not, or that you being saved by the Arrow is public knowledge. Clearly, this is a flawless plan.

Also the whole Ray/Felicity thing wasn't that bad to me until we returned to the same loving thing this season loves pushing on us, "yeah mum I keep finding men perfect for myself but I really want to bang that one guy that outright told me not to and has been kind of abusive the entire time". It honestly saddens me that a good character got reduced to this poo poo to please shippers. Thank god Diggle is already married.

The flashbacks were horrible but that's nothing new. They were worse than ever this episode though.

And considering the trailer for next episode all of my problems with this season are going to keep existing. Felicity and Oliver having sex means that we'll keep having their horrible relationship, Oliver is released and Roy gets put in jail but Oliver will break him out anyways (didn't the Flash outright point out why just breaking someone out of prison without actually giving proof of their innocence is a bad idea?) so there's no actual consequences to all of this, and I will NOT believe Oliver becoming Ra's Al Ghul until I see it in action. As far as I know he'll just join then betray everyone and go back to Starling so we can get the status quo back on track.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

And considering the trailer for next episode all of my problems with this season are going to keep existing. Felicity and Oliver having sex means that we'll keep having their horrible relationship, Oliver is released and Roy gets put in jail but Oliver will break him out anyways (didn't the Flash outright point out why just breaking someone out of prison without actually giving proof of their innocence is a bad idea?) so there's no actual consequences to all of this, and I will NOT believe Oliver becoming Ra's Al Ghul until I see it in action. As far as I know he'll just join then betray everyone and go back to Starling so we can get the status quo back on track.

It's a bad idea if you want the jailee to get to live a normal life and go back to practicing medicine or whatever, but "Roy's permanently on the run living in warehouses/slums/basements" is basically his "normal life".

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blaze Dragon posted:

I actually liked most of the present day stuff. Captain Lance is very clearly thorough in his pursuit of the Arrow and manages to completely corner it, plus he fully accepts that part of him did know that Oliver was the Arrow but he just didn't care when he was an ally. In fact, basically every Lance scene was wonderful.

That said, that ending was really stupid. Yeah sure Roy, give yourself in as the Arrow. It's not like Lance doesn't already know you are not, or that you being saved by the Arrow is public knowledge. Clearly, this is a flawless plan.

Also the whole Ray/Felicity thing wasn't that bad to me until we returned to the same loving thing this season loves pushing on us, "yeah mum I keep finding men perfect for myself but I really want to bang that one guy that outright told me not to and has been kind of abusive the entire time". It honestly saddens me that a good character got reduced to this poo poo to please shippers. Thank god Diggle is already married.

The flashbacks were horrible but that's nothing new. They were worse than ever this episode though.

There was been WAY too much yoyoing around this season. Why couldnt Oliver have stayed dead for a few episodes and had his return actually mean something? Or loving explain how a sword through the heart magically disappears an episode later? The only good answer was Lazarus Pit and they just couldn't commit to it. Like Maseo couldn't steal a SINGLE DROP of it, so the audience can be shown just how powerful it is? One little drop healing that entire wound in hours? Nah we get a shot of Ras dipping a lil paper cut in his hot tub that totally gets the point across. How many more times is he going to fly to and from Namba Parbat or wherever the League hangs out? Just weird pacing all over the place.

I really wanted Oliver's dead body dropped in the pit only to have it start bubbling and foaming crazy green poo poo. The League flips out because it was supposed to go red, like it always has before, so they start calling him Greenman and Charlie kelly also pops out and the Finch from Person of Interest sort of monologues his way around the League's hideout complimenting the architecture.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

VagueRant posted:

On that note, is Diggle still getting a salary from him? How is he supporting himself?
I'm thinking Lyla has been the breadwinner of their household.

Except now she's unemployed too so...I guess the baby's gonna have to pull her share of the weight.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

BrianWilly posted:

I'm thinking Lyla has been the breadwinner of their household.

Except now she's unemployed too so...I guess the baby's gonna have to pull her share of the weight.

I like to think that both Lyla and John have both been embezzling for years.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Speaking of Lyla, I think part of the reason why last week's episode was so great was because a large chunk of it had nothing to do with the aggravating ur-plots of this season. Seriously, the whole thing with the League right now is such a let-down from the way they were built up through the years. Ra's Al Ghul concocting this grand overarching mind game ploy with the entire city at his fingertips...just because he's got such a woody for Ollie and neeeeeeds him to be his heeeiiir because he "sees something" in Ollie...god, that doesn't make Ra's look like a powerful shadowy mastermind, it just makes him look needy and weird. I realize now it's the same distillation of issues I've had with Amanda Waller in the flashbacks.

Even now in the current flashbacks (heh) with Waller's goons chasing down Ollie and the Yamashiros, at first I thought they're gonna try for a fake-out on us and reveal that Waller's not behind it at all but that someone else is dressing up like ARGUS to hunt them down. But now I realize the show really could make her that pathetic and just make it so that it really is her trying to kill them because her feelings got hurt or something. I still hope I'm wrong and there's a bigger reveal, but this episode hasn't helped matters.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

XboxPants posted:

I had absolutely zero idea who that was as well but figured it was just someone we were supposed to know. But now I'm curious...

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Lucas_Hilton_%28Arrow%29

Okay, apparently it was Lance's old partner, the guy from Continuum and First Wave. Sorry Lance, I forgot that guy ever existed he died like years ago.
Oh, Roger Cross' character! I totally remember him. I was sad when he died because Roger Cross dies in everything. He even reappeared in the flashback a few eps ago.

I'm not actually sure Arrow was even there when he was killed though...

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

He got killed by Grundy, but Grundy was only there because of Sebastian Blood who was only there because of Slade who was only there because of Oliver.

LOGIC.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

There was been WAY too much yoyoing around this season. Why couldnt Oliver have stayed dead for a few episodes and had his return actually mean something?

I think that the show missed a great opportunity to develop the supporting cast more by having Oliver dead for a longer time. Oliver "dying" and coming back to life the next episode basically made the whole idea pointless.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

http://comicbook.com/2015/04/02/arrow-broken-arrow-preview-photos-released

Set photos from next episode. Ray slumped over like a bitch after facing Deathbolt is surprisingly hilarious

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

imperialparadox posted:

I think that the show missed a great opportunity to develop the supporting cast more by having Oliver dead for a longer time.

They were never ever ever ever going to have the star of the show stay dead for any length of time. Frankly, I was impressed they kept him out of Starling as long as they did.

I did not know Roy is in a movie with The Rock.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
More specifically, he's in a movie with The Rock where The Rock fights an earthquake.

I will go see it.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

He also fights a tsunami.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Speaking of Lyla, I think part of the reason why last week's episode was so great was because a large chunk of it had nothing to do with the aggravating ur-plots of this season. Seriously, the whole thing with the League right now is such a let-down from the way they were built up through the years. Ra's Al Ghul concocting this grand overarching mind game ploy with the entire city at his fingertips...just because he's got such a woody for Ollie and neeeeeeds him to be his heeeiiir because he "sees something" in Ollie...god, that doesn't make Ra's look like a powerful shadowy mastermind, it just makes him look needy and weird. I realize now it's the same distillation of issues I've had with Amanda Waller in the flashbacks.

Even now in the current flashbacks (heh) with Waller's goons chasing down Ollie and the Yamashiros, at first I thought they're gonna try for a fake-out on us and reveal that Waller's not behind it at all but that someone else is dressing up like ARGUS to hunt them down. But now I realize the show really could make her that pathetic and just make it so that it really is her trying to kill them because her feelings got hurt or something. I still hope I'm wrong and there's a bigger reveal, but this episode hasn't helped matters.

They stole a bioweapon.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Okay?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
So Roy just screwed Ollie into taking the gig.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hahaha am I the only one who finds it hilarious that they cast Doug Jones in a role and then just... put a coat on him? He is the least physically intimidating person, that's why he gets makeup'd to hell and back to make him the size/width of a normal person.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stealing bioweapons is a bad thing.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

So, hurt feelings.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

aw I wanted Lance to flip out start jumping around pointing at Roy going "NO, NO, NO, I know you're the friggin red guy!" at the end.

This would have been great to give Roy a taste of his own flipping medicine.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

howe_sam posted:

My big complaint was Team Arrow's constant "You can't do this Oliver" when he goes to turn himself in when...what other choice does he have? Go to war with the police? Become R'as? This way the killing stops and R'as hasn't won.

I think Roy deciding to sacrifice himself and claim to be the arrow was just completely loving dumb. Holy poo poo, Oliver just saved your stupid asses, why are you willing to go to prison for life years for a LOT of murders you never even did. It was supposed to come across as all noble and poo poo, but it was just unbelievable.

And don't try to say "it was Roy's guilt for his Mirakuru murder" either, because he learned about that a while ago and I didn't see him feeling guilty enough to confess to that one in the previous episodes.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I think Roy deciding to sacrifice himself and claim to be the arrow was just completely loving dumb. Holy poo poo, Oliver just saved your stupid asses, why are you willing to go to prison for life years for a LOT of murders you never even did. It was supposed to come across as all noble and poo poo, but it was just unbelievable.

And don't try to say "it was Roy's guilt for his Mirakuru murder" either, because he learned about that a while ago and I didn't see him feeling guilty enough to confess to that one in the previous episodes.

Also they already did this in season one, and they brought it up to Oliver in this episode and the team agreed it couldn't work. Then it happens and it just works. gently caress, this season has had to many weird plot choices. It's like all the writers are passive aggressively undoing poo poo someone else wrote a few scenes prior.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roy has felt ridiculously guilty about that and it has been focused on in several episodes. And last night when he escaped the cops he said he was almost glad they were finally going to get him. So him turning himself in was not only perfectly reasonable but also completely in character.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

You mean besides the scene he had in the same episode where he said a part of him wished he got caught so that he would go to jail? What exactly would have constituted "feeling guilty enough" for you if him straight up saying it didn't?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Yeah that trailer was aces. Hopefully those last 5 episodes will pull everything together like I hoped.
Also there is a Flash end of season trailer right after that has loads of Arrow stuff in it too.
Both look awesome.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Roy has felt ridiculously guilty about that and it has been focused on in several episodes. And last night when he escaped the cops he said he was almost glad they were finally going to get him. So him turning himself in was not only perfectly reasonable but also completely in character.

It should be a requirement to watch a show to post about it.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Aphrodite posted:

It should be a requirement to watch a show to post about it.

But if I pay attention, how am I supposed to turn out my witty live posts?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

To be fair, the murder of 1 cop while under the influence of some whacked out drug isn't really equivalent to murdering a whole bunch of people ending with the Mayor of the city

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Nephthys posted:

Get wreck'd Lance. Worse detective than a baby.

:golfclap:

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

But Oliver was doing the exact same thing, minus the murders he did commit in Season 1, which, up until this last episode, everyone had basically ignored. Why is it okay when Olive does it, but not Roy?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Ra's will stop murdering people if Ollie's in jail. With Roy in jail, Ra's will just continue putting on that green hood and murdering people. Roy's little self-flagellation act literally accomplishes nothing.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

BrianWilly posted:

Ra's will stop murdering people if Ollie's in jail. With Roy in jail, Ra's will just continue putting on that green hood and murdering people. Roy's little self-flagellation act literally accomplishes nothing.

Well, it shits up whatever plan Oliver might have had.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah and since Roy is flawlessly logical and makes thorough cost-benefit analyses before making major life decisions this is way out of character.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
^^^^Beaten like Roy is gonna be in Iron Heights :argh:

Kid with guilty conscience makes irattional and ill thoughtout decision. I for one am shocked.

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 2, 2015

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

"In-character" is not synonymous with "enjoyable." Watching every single character on the show make terrible decisions that just blow up in their faces for twenty-two episodes a year gets tiring.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
What's amazing is how Lance has Millions of Cops, but he's the Only Cop. He gets jumped in the alley behind the police station (5th time this season -- the alley's unlucky!), and he's all alone in his office, and he's allowed to call in more money, and do the press conference (isn't there a CHIEF of police?), he rides alone, UNSUPERVISED with Oliver (probably his choice, but I'm suprised he get forced an escort).

He is the God of Cops, while still being the worst cop.

Also, his heart problems vanished!

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
So is there no episode next week? The preview said the 15th.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah, we're getting next week off for both shows. Hopefully that's the last of the skips.

Lance is probably getting away with so much because every single other authority figure in the city has been murdered at this point. Well, there's Laurel, but there's not much she can do but scowl at him in his office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Jesus, this thread got bitter in a hurry. I'm also not sure why everyone is all up on The Flash's rear end, considering their handling of time travel take backsies and everything to do with Iris have been at least as bad as Merlyn hanging out on the couch this year.

• Locked thread