Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

bolind posted:

Dumbass makes things go from bad to worse: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3ac_1427743476

When this guy tells the story to his friends, he'll explain how a full military H1 was all over his rear end and trying to run him down and crush him, but his genius driving narrowly escaped the jaws of death, losing only a tire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

If you can figure out a way to get ~12-14VDC out of one of those old bastards (and have a microSD card), I have an extra dashcam I'm not using. :v:

It's totally feasible - as a matter if fact, it's in our 2015 budget to get dash cams for all streetcars on both ends. The only issue with that is, as an operator, I probably wouldn't have access to the footage unless it was directly related to an accident I was involved in. I'm going in at 13:00 today. If the streetcar I get has a place for me to rest my phone while it still has a good vantage point, I'll do it.

Edit: just realized that I'm working rush hour, too. If it works, you guys will get a great kick out of it.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

How often do streetcars get into accidents?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

bolind posted:

Dumbass makes things go from bad to worse: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3ac_1427743476

That's loving hilarious.

"Wow! That was a close one! Let's do it again until something really fucks up badly!"

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Pixelated Dragon posted:

How often do streetcars get into accidents?

Accidents overall? About once a month, maybe more depending on automobile traffic (spring break, busy days at the park we go by, et cetera).

Accidents where the operator is at fault are a different story. They're fewer and father in between. For that, we're talking about one or two times a year.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Just spotted this guy. Parked facing the wrong direction across two spots. Note, this is Central IL and no one knows how to parallel park, so the spots are extra long. I can park two of my GTI in a single spot if I wanted to here.

Edit: When I left, they were gone. Instead there was an Escalade parked so far forward their bumper was in the second spot, enough space to fit a SmartCar behind them, and so far from the curb two of their wheels were outside of the box.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 2, 2015

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

We were in the left lane on the I-90 and this Town & Country is riding our rear end. I change right to let it pass. The woman driving it just sits in my blind spot for like 5 minutes before passing us. She was talking on her phone and yelling at a couple of kids in the back. Figures. We get behind her and she's all over the road, slowing down, speeding up...

There were children literally bouncing around in the back of the minivan! They were like getting up and walking around! What the hell!? Ever heard of seat belts, lady?!

I don't get why kids in the back turns a lot of parents into such careless drivers. My mother was always telling my brother and I that if we dropped stuff we were out of luck until she could stop. "Mommy can't take her eyes off the road," she constantly said. Wouldn't parents driving their kids around at least make a subconscious effort to drive safely? Precious cargo.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 2, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A few years ago I saw a similar thing, some giant station wagon with four kids climbing over the seats and bouncing around.

On the rear window was a "CHOOSE LIFE" anti-abortion sticker. :downs:

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

xzzy posted:

A few years ago I saw a similar thing, some giant station wagon with four kids climbing over the seats and bouncing around.

On the rear window was a "CHOOSE LIFE" anti-abortion sticker. :downs:

She clearly found an alternative to abortion.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Killstick posted:

She clearly found an alternative to abortion.

12th trimester abortion

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
This seems made for this thread:

quote:

A woman crashed her Toyota Camry into the glass doors of the New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center early Thursday morning (April 2), authorities said. She then did a U-turn in the lobby before driving out of the building and crashing into an exterior wall.
http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2015/04/car_crash_convention_center.html#incart_river

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

That video is :stonk: made flesh. I wish I knew what was going through that trucker's head as he was sitting there watching this.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Pixelated Dragon posted:

We were in the left lane on the I-90 and this Town & Country is riding our rear end. I change right to let it pass. The woman driving it just sits in my blind spot for like 5 minutes before passing us. She was talking on her phone and yelling at a couple of kids in the back. Figures. We get behind her and she's all over the road, slowing down, speeding up...

There were children literally bouncing around in the back of the minivan! They were like getting up and walking around! What the hell!? Ever heard of seat belts, lady?!

I don't get why kids in the back turns a lot of parents into such careless drivers. My mother was always telling my brother and I that if we dropped stuff we were out of luck until she could stop. "Mommy can't take her eyes off the road," she constantly said. Wouldn't parents driving their kids around at least make a subconscious effort to drive safely? Precious cargo.

Well the real meaning of those baby on board signs is that they are shaped like a warning sign to warn other drivers Mom is about to slam on her brakes and swerve into your lane at the first sign that her precious cargo needs more attention than the road.

Saintfuzzled
Jan 17, 2010

Uthor posted:

Just spotted this guy. Parked facing the wrong direction across two spots. Note, this is Central IL and no one knows how to parallel park, so the spots are extra long. I can park two of my GTI in a single spot if I wanted to here.

Edit: When I left, they were gone. Instead there was an Escalade parked so far forward their bumper was in the second spot, enough space to fit a SmartCar behind them, and so far from the curb two of their wheels were outside of the box.

That's Peoria for you.

I've become completely desensitized to it in the burbs. It's like the five stages of grief.
The first stage is denial; this can't be real... can it? Nah, I didn't see this happen. You can't physically park a fuckin' Sienna in six spots at the same time.
Then comes anger; how could they park this loving lovely. Are you loving kidding me? ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME MAN?!
We skip bargaining, we don't know the meaning of that, the anger phase just gets extended into this spot. SERIOUSLY, ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME. I AM GOING TO BURN YOUR lovely SOCCER MOM WHOREHOUSE ON WHEELS TO THE GROUND.
Depression, step four, man, they really weren't loving kidding. Six spots, they did it. I'm so sad now :(
And then finally comes acceptance. You don't even blink anymore, whatever, we'll find another place to park. So you park on the opposite end of the parking lot, nobody around, right? You still come back to a scratch on your car.

I could write a book about all the horseshit I see on the road, every day. It just gets old. But there's one situation where I see the most amazing thing every day. There's a one-way street. Dual lanes. The left lane turns left, the right lane can pick and chose; left or straight. Every day I drive across that intersection, in the right lane, cause I gotta make a right immediately after anyways. Without fail, I see someone from the left lane, turn across TWO lanes to get to the right lane. I done seen four crashes there already. And you know what? Fuckin' acceptance man, it's gonna happen regardless.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

They do, though they also come with 12VDC -> Mini USB power supplies. I honestly don't know if that could power a dashcam all day or not; I think mine came with a 1.2 amp power supply (somewhere in that neighborhood anyway). It definitely doesn't work so well on something like a 500mA supply. I have a much smaller battery pack though, I'll see how long it can run my camera tomorrow.

e: I'm sure someone could do the math to figure out if that would run it all day, even factoring in the hilarious overrating on the battery pack.

The line Tex works on has streetcars that date back to long before most of us were born, so who knows what type of power is available..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 3, 2015

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

PT6A posted:

That's loving hilarious.

"Wow! That was a close one! Let's do it again until something really fucks up badly!"

It looked to me like there was a center curb that he went over, severely damaging the LR suspension, then panicked and tried to drive away. The fishtailing after he crosses back onto the right side of the road is the LR wheel, broken and toed the hell out, pulling the rear to the left until the right rear wheel catches traction, pulling it back to the right until it loses traction in the slush.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Pixelated Dragon posted:

These kinds of people are the reason why the Veyron's 22.2 second 0-200 time is a "safety feature" and totally not unnecessary car enthusaist wankery.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

SyHopeful posted:

It looked to me like there was a center curb that he went over, severely damaging the LR suspension, then panicked and tried to drive away. The fishtailing after he crosses back onto the right side of the road is the LR wheel, broken and toed the hell out, pulling the rear to the left until the right rear wheel catches traction, pulling it back to the right until it loses traction in the slush.

Yeah, if I had to make a guess, I'd say he done hosed up, twice, but I think there's a slight chance that he didn't. Slippery roads, down hill, hosed suspension... Still, I'd love to be able to see the exact same situation with "both feet in" the second he knew he was done for, during the first median pass.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Saw a dark grey new gen Ford Focus in the left lane of i90 this morning. He was doing 80-85 so I decided he was my radar catcher for the morning and followed. He also couldn't drive, pinballing from rumble strip to striped lane divider at random, speeding up and randomly tapping the brakes.

I pulled even and looked over... old man READING A loving BOOK ON THE STEERING WHEEL :eng99:

So I fell back a ways and followed, because I didn't want to eat flying Ford parts when he binned it, but there was no way he would spot a speedtrap in time, making him the ideal radar magnet.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That video is :stonk: made flesh. I wish I knew what was going through that trucker's head as he was sitting there watching this.

"Fuckin' 4 wheelers...how drunk is this bitch...WHOA, did she just turn that place into a drive thru? HOLY gently caress SHE'S COMMIN' RIGHT AT US. Bitch even had her brights on....."

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I just watched a cyclist casually pedal through a red light downtown. It was a cop.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 3, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

nsaP posted:

I just watched a cyclist it's casually pedal through a red light downtown. It was a cop.

So common as to not really merit a mention, frankly.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

kastein posted:

Saw a dark grey new gen Ford Focus in the left lane of i90 this morning. He was doing 80-85 so I decided he was my radar catcher for the morning and followed. He also couldn't drive, pinballing from rumble strip to striped lane divider at random, speeding up and randomly tapping the brakes.

I pulled even and looked over... old man READING A loving BOOK ON THE STEERING WHEEL :eng99:

So I fell back a ways and followed, because I didn't want to eat flying Ford parts when he binned it, but there was no way he would spot a speedtrap in time, making him the ideal radar magnet.

I didn't have a car for about a year, and when I would bus Seattle -> Tacoma I would pass the time by counting two things: old men driving with white ipod earbuds in, and latina women with flowers in their hair. I think I only saw someone reading a book on i5 once, that's a rare one.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Out on the highway on my bike in traffic, sitting in the right lane. A little space opens in front of me, the car to my left just flies across in front of me about 1' from hitting my front wheel. I tapped my horn at them and they stuck their arm out the window and flipped me off before standing on their brakes, moving forward, and repeating a couple times, still with their hand out in the air.

I really need a Go-Pro or something similar.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
Okay goons, I made an impromptu dash cam tonight and recorded a round trip on the streetcars by setting my phone in the front window. I can't upload it until I get home tonight and can connect to my wifi, but I got it. I didn't capture anything too spectacular, but I figured that some if y'all might still be interested.

Now here's where I need your help. I have zero video editing experience. Can any of you recommend a good freeware editing program so o can splice the two halves of the video together?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
What operating system are you using?

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

`Nemesis posted:

What operating system are you using?

The desktop has XP (don't laugh, I'm loving broke), but my wife's laptop runs Windows Vista.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Your XP box probably has Windows Movie Maker pre-installed. If not, you can dl it for free.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Specifically, google Windows Essentials 2009 to get Windows Movie Maker for XP. Or just click this. Scroll down, make sure it says 2009 (and not 2012), then click English to get the installer.

Irony: you can still download 2009 (which is for XP), but you can't download 2011 anymore (which is for Vista).

Once you download the installer, you can choose to install just Movie Maker.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
What the prophets have said is true, you would be wise to head their council.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Today, I was in the inner lane of a double protected left turn, and as I was going, this lady in the other lane was cutting into my lane at the start of the turn. By the middle of the turn, half of her car was in my lane. I was honking at her the whole turn, and she was just completely oblivious. I was watching her and she made no indication that she even realized that I was honking at her. It's amazing how often this occurs. Whenever I walk home from work, I watch cars making left turns at various double protected turns, and almost always the cars cut over the white line. Is it that loving hard to follow a painted white line on the road?

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
These are the people I share a parking lot with.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

antisodachrist posted:

These are the people I share a parking lot with.

I bet those tires give a pretty comfy ride. :laugh:

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Low-profile indeed...

The cavernous gap between the wheel well and the tire makes it look like the tire was originally much bigger. Almost like they've been pulling sheets of rubber off ala a roll of TP.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

krnhotwings posted:

Today, I was in the inner lane of a double protected left turn, and as I was going, this lady in the other lane was cutting into my lane at the start of the turn. By the middle of the turn, half of her car was in my lane. I was honking at her the whole turn, and she was just completely oblivious. I was watching her and she made no indication that she even realized that I was honking at her. It's amazing how often this occurs. Whenever I walk home from work, I watch cars making left turns at various double protected turns, and almost always the cars cut over the white line. Is it that loving hard to follow a painted white line on the road?

I always see people in the inner lane going wide, never people in the outer lane going tight. :psyduck:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I've been run up onto the median multiple times by people cutting tight from the outside lane. Best part is when I popped the median to avoid someone and laid on the horn, and they wound up following me flashing their high beams for a few miles. :psypop:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Uthor posted:

I always see people in the inner lane going wide, never people in the outer lane going tight. :psyduck:

It was quite some time ago, but the best (worst?) one of these I've ever seen was when the semi in front of me in the far right lane of a triple left cut inside all the way to the left turn lane, just completely ignoring all the cars that had to make all sorts of evasive maneuvers to keep from getting crushed.

This intersection, somewhat vaguely like the red line.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
i really can't count the number of times i see someone trying to cut across traffic immediately after turning because they were in the wrong lane.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Locator posted:

It was quite some time ago, but the best (worst?) one of these I've ever seen was when the semi in front of me in the far right lane of a triple left cut inside all the way to the left turn lane, just completely ignoring all the cars that had to make all sorts of evasive maneuvers to keep from getting crushed.

This intersection, somewhat vaguely like the red line.

I watched an SUV do that in front of me this morning, except she turned left from the right (straight) lane across a line of cars in the left lane also going straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Does it count when it's a car turning from the middle lane in front of an 18 wheeler?

(then everyone behind the 18 wheeler crosses the line too - both lanes could turn, but the Camry driver had a death wish to turn from that lane - which could only go straight)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvv2KCSW18E